Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I'll never go out with a guy shorter than me"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I´m 5 foot 5 and I like guys the same or just a little bit taller than me or even a bit smaller...as long as they´re bigger than me width-wise. Honestly, I think the reason is I´m too lazy to bend my head back or go on my tippy-toes to kiss them.

But wahey, it doesn´t matter when you´re lying down, eh? Wink wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I've always said that because I'm only 4ft 11. I think it would be quite rare to find a guy shorter than me tbh.

My boyfriend is a LOT taller than me at 6ft 1. I have to stand on my toes and he has to bend down to kiss or hug me but it works for us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm 5'5, fairly average. Last boyfriend was the same height as me when I was in heels :P

I don't think it would bother me really if he was shorter, unless there was some extreme difference it might be an issue. But if I really liked him, I don't think being shorter would be a reason for me to not go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I used to say I'd never go out with a guy under 6', but my bf is about half an inch taller than me (I'm ~5'7") and I am mad about him! :D:p

Hmm don't think I could go out with a guy who was around 5'3" though, now I think of it... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

5'11". I don't usually wear heels because I feel a bit silly bending down to have a conversation all the time. I don't envy people taller than me.

Sure, in my head the list of criteria I am willing to totally disregard for the right person includes height etc. but to be honest if I'm so hung up on my partner's height that I'm willing to end the relationship with them then I'm with the wrong person in my opinion.

If someone a foot shorter than me could make me happy I'd buy them a ladder, if it bothered them enough to be an issue, as long as I had them. *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Most of the guys I've dated have been around my height(5'10') and it's never been an issue for me, although it has been for 1 or 2 of them. I don't think I'd go for anyone more 2+ inches shorter though, it'd just feel odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Dord wrote: »
    As a guy I wouldn't have any problem dating a girl taller than myself. However, this has never arisen and I doubt would. I'm 6'5" tall. :o

Woo hoo! 6'5 ftw!
    Finally , a normal sized person too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dord wrote: »
    As a guy I wouldn't have any problem dating a girl taller than myself. However, this has never arisen and I doubt would. I'm 6'5" tall. :o

He ain't lying. :pac: In fact, a lot of boardsies seem to be tall mofos. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He ain't lying. :pac: In fact, a lot of boardsies seem to be tall mofos. :P

A new boards section is in order then! We can whinge about the leg room on bus seats and trying to find pants with a leg 36! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I wouldn't go out with a guy shorter than me simply because I wouldn't be attracted to him. I've often thought about fella's "if only you were taller you'd be perfect" but I guess that's like saying "if only you weren't overweight" or "if only you were funny".

My OH now is about 2 or 3 inches taller than me and I'm 5'2.. :o He's perfect for me and coudln't be happier. Perfect height for kissing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My boyfriend is around the same height as me... We've never actually tried measuring who is taller! I thought that it might bother him that I'm a bit taller when I wear heels, but he doesn't care

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

NoDice wrote: »
    I wouldn't go out with a guy shorter than me simply because I wouldn't be attracted to him. I've often thought about fella's "if only you were taller you'd be perfect" but I guess that's like saying "if only you weren't overweight" or "if only you were funny".

You see I don't get this.
    Weight and personality are something a person is in control of but height is something he's not.

If a person is overweight, it usually says a little about the person's personality that he doesn't really take much care about himself and he's unfit. Which he can change if he starts going to the gym regularly.
    Being funny is a relative thing. What one might find funny other might not and vice versa.

But things like height and skin color are attributes the person has no control over.

But then again attraction is not an intellectual process. Its more like an on/off switch which you don't really have much control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

well i'm a girl who's 5'10ish, and I feel weird being with girls taller than me. It just feels odd, like things don't 'fit'. Luckily my girlfriend of 6 years is a titch, so that works out well! :p

It is kinda strange though. I remember back when I was a teenager and I was with guys (ah, mis-spent youth...) and they were taller than me and it felt really REALLY weird. Now, granted, there was another reason it felt weird (;)) but still. Not to say I wouldn't find someone attractive if they were taller than me, but the logistics of it feel a little off. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'm 5 6 and I prefer taller guys...the taller, the better:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

People have physical preferences and height is one of them - I can not imagine that I would have gone for a man shorter than me but then again I am less than 5ft 2in so it was never an issue. I did like really tall men (6ft+) but the man that I am happily married to a man that while still tall is not that height. People have preferences but are not bound by them - the right person is the right person, no matter what way they are.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

zoegh wrote: »
    well i'm a girl who's 5'10ish, and I feel weird being with girls taller than me. It just feels odd, like things don't 'fit'.
    I'm only 5'6" and I'm similar. I do have a bit of a preference for someone a little smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

Im 5 foot 2 so if i went out with someone shorter i dont think i could bear the munchkin jokes tbh... :D

Im a girl btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I couldnt go out with someone shorter than me, I'm almost 5"10 and just like to feel like the girl in the relationship, someone around my height wouldnt bother me so much, but anyone I've gone out with has been a lot taller,Big tall country men seems to be my type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I did once and I will never do it again, It didn't help that people said he looked similar to me :eek:

I prefer dating taller people and luckily my OH is 6"4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have things I am attracted to moreso than others, of course, but I try not to do the whole, "I'd never date a guy who is X, who has done Y" because previously, where I thought I'd never, I have. Life is full of all these buts, and becauses and excepts. Yes, I do find a taller man attractive, but would I rule out a shorter man? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Like a lot of the posters here, I'm only 5"2, so it's pretty hard to find a shorter man even if I wanted one! I do have a preference for taller but don't know how much of a deal-breaker it would be, it's never happened - dudes I've been with tend to be a good few inches taller. It's nice to have your head buried in his chest when you hug :) Although constantly craning your head back to kiss can be a pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AirHairLair

I could go out with a guy shorter (not too much shorter though) - I always felt like a dwarf around really tall guys - worth saying as I think men think all women are looking for blokes who are 7ft tall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Robert Downey Junior:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Kayly wrote: »
    Robert Downey Junior:)

Oh god, yes, yes, YES!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I used to say that but have been with 3 guys recently who are the same height as me in flats (I'm 5' 6 and I would never wear heels higher than 3'') and we had fun, no one commented and they were all way hotter than my 6' 2 ex :D:D:D At the end of the day I'm attracted to faces... Height I've decided is kinda irrelevant!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have dated a couple of guys smaller than me and the same height as me. No issues really, and I like to wear heels :D I'm recently single and my mam said "Go for a tall one this time, will ya" :p She's only gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya very much so, I'm 4ft 10"-4ft 11" so dating a shorter man or a man the same height as myself would be a bit odd for me. If I've heels on or something like that even if a guy was like less than 5 ft 6" I would find that just as awkward if I were with someone of the same height. The whole head bashing and and kissing is difficult. Iv'e been there done that and not again. For balance I prefer someone much taller than myself at least more than 5 ft 6". Rougly 5 ft 6" to around 6 ft or 6 ft 1" be about right for me. Find myself more attracted to men within that height range. A foot more than me be the ideal I suppose!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

For me the ideal is a big, handsome, manly, rugged cliff of a man ala Shane Horgan type build. That's the ideal.

The reality always turns out to be something different, something about him catches my eye and wham, my ideal is turned on it's arse and I forget all about it.

So in ideal world I would say no, i wouldn't go out with a man smaller than me but the reality always turns out to be something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

You see I don't get this.
    Weight and personality are something a person is in control of but height is something he's not.

If a person is overweight, it usually says a little about the person's personality that he doesn't really take much care about himself and he's unfit. Which he can change if he starts going to the gym regularly.
    Being funny is a relative thing. What one might find funny other might not and vice versa.

But things like height and skin color are attributes the person has no control over.

But then again attraction is not an intellectual process. Its more like an on/off switch which you don't really have much control over.

I agree with what you're saying here in your last post. Weight isn't something that would put me off a guy being perfectly honest but I was using it as an example of things that can be a turn off; much like the height issue.

I love a guy with a good bit of manly facial hair, great and silly sense of humour and I like them to be a teency bit taller than me - which isn't hard as I'm pretty tiny myself anyway as most posters have said. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

I'm 5'11 (and a girl) and I wouldn't like to go out with anyone smaller than me as I would feel like a man. My bf of 5 years is the same height as me, but when i wear heels i'm way taller than him. At the start he didn't like it (some people would make sarky comments) but now he doesn't care.

Advertisement