Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I'll never go out with a guy shorter than me"

Options
  • 27-12-2010 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I've herd many women say that many times.

Is it really true?

Just wondering... :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For some women it is, the same way some men say they'd never go out with a blonde or a large woman or a woman taller then they are or a woman who looks like a skanger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends tbh in extreme heels I'm 6 foot 2 and always had tall partners.

Current bf is the same height as me in socks, and doesn't bother me at all. :) Doesn't bother him either!

Think that's what matters, if it's a big issue then you'll never move on from it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd have serious issues with a guy shorter than me tbh. I'm only 5'5 but I do prefer my men to be 6'+. When a guy is taller than me, it makes me feel girlish and petite. I'm very aware of myself when they're close to my height. I actually hate being taller than anyone, come to think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i married one 3 inches shorter than me. And i always said would never go out with a man shorter than me !!!

The hardest part was wearing heels around him, now i dont care.

Havent worn my five inch boots though yet around him (but then could be because they give me vertigo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Faith wrote: »
    I'd have serious issues with a guy shorter than me tbh. I'm only 5'5 but I do prefer my men to be 6'+. When a guy is taller than me, it makes me feel girlish and petite. I'm very aware of myself when they're close to my height. I actually hate being taller than anyone, come to think of it!

+1 Well, I wouldn't have issues with anyone being smaller than me or short in stature (have a good few short male friends), I just wouldn't fancy them! And I'm 5'0" so the likelihood of being with a smaller man is relatively slim! I have had a few encounters with men with definite cases of short man syndrome.

However, I'd like to clarify that it's a purely innate, biological thing for me- not being "picky"- I've just never been attracted to short guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

Could never have gone out with a shorter man but then I'm only five foot so he'd have to be pretty short. Tall men just make me go weak at the knees, hinny is 6 foot 4

There are some guys that will never go out with any girls shorter than them too.

Thankfully, at 5'11, I generally don't have that problem, unless the girl is over 6, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

I'm 6foot and I have gone out in the past with guys shorter than me but do prefer someone the same height or taller.

I think an inch or two shorter doesn't make a difference but don't know if I could go out with someone who was really small eg 5 foot 6 or sometthing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

id have a prob with shorter.... i dunno it would just feel awkward. i wouldn't care what others think, just would be awkward personally.
    i'm 5'6" and hubby is 5'8".....when we got married i wore flats because i didn't want to be taller than him or same height in wedding photos :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I've never gone out with a guy shorter than me....but then I'm only 5"4. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

It wouldn't really bother me to be honest unless the difference was significant. Once you get to know someone you overlook those issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I hate to say it but I'm kind of like that. The shortest I've been with was the same height as me, and even that felt a bit funny. I'm not sure why, it's certainly not a conscious decision. I hate it. But there's been guys where I've thought "if you were only a few inches taller, you'd be perfect for me," and haven't really done anything as a result. The idea of looking down at a guy.. it just feels.. unnatural, or something? I can't figure it out.

I dunno. I don't like it but I can't really control how I physically respond, as much as my head may disagree. :(

That said I wouldn't want him miles taller, either. Within reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its funny cos as a bloke Id find it pretty hard to date a girl taller than me.Kinda like what Faith said above,I feel more manly when my OH is smaller than me,all protecterish :).

Having said that if I met someone that I connected with then I probably wouldnt care.I dated a girl for a while that was the same height as me in her bare feet (5 9 or so) and she was fond of wearing heels and it didnt bother me when we were out even though to annoy me she used to put her arm around my shoulders :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I'm 5'8 and I would look for somebody a good bit taller than me. My current OH is 6'3 or so which is perfect.

My first proper boyfriend was only 2 inches taller than me and I bought shoes with a lower heel so that I wouldn't be taller than him. Never again - I love my high, high heels! 5" FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

as a guy im not sure i could go out with some one taller then me, if they were only taller in heels then that would probably be ok

being 6'2 the issue hasnt arisen yet though, i find up to my forehead/nose in heels is my perfect height

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Posts deleted.

Okay, this is a thread in The Ladies Lounge asking if women go out with guys shorter than they are - as usual men are welcome to also comment on the thread as long as they do so within the remit of tLL charter.

If you want to make nudge, nudge, wink, wink comments about why men choose specific sizes or shapes of women, feel free to start your own thread somewhere more appropriate - like AH.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

wouldn't put me off a guy if he was shortish. I'm only (nearly) 5'2" mind, so guys shorter than me are few & far between. I've had two boyfriends who were just a few inches taller than me (maybe 4-5 ins taller) and they were a perfect fit! :D
    If I did meet a guy who was much shorter than me, but otherwise perfect for me, height wouldn't be an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

As a guy I wouldn't have any problem dating a girl taller than myself. However, this has never arisen and I doubt would. I'm 6'5" tall. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm about 5'10, gianormous in heels. I have been with guys smaller than me but as Leah has said, it feels unnatural to me. I don't know, I end up feeling like a man.

I know some people won't understand this. Some women don't have a problem with dating smaller men. Sure my grandmother married a smaller man. But for me, at this moment in time, its very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

At 5 foot nothing, I don't think its ever going to be a problem.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I've been with guys about the same height as me, but never shorter. Tbh I would find it a little bit odd I'd say. I'm just over 5'9"..but in heels I'm a lot taller. Never wear heels really though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

Im 5,7 and really if the nicest woman in the room (looks & or personality) outright refused to even look twice at man who is shorter than her I would laugh in her face (using a step ladder if I needed it and for comic effect) and leave her alone.

Its the same as a guy turning to a woman and saying "I only date women with knockers bigger than my head" :p

Note to mod's im poking fun at the flip side of the op's statement not trying to derail thread :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I once dated a lad shorter than me (I'm 5-10), and when someone would comment about the difference, he would say: "More for me!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Hmm, I'm a girl and 5'8 (and a half!)

Defo prefer a taller guy. Preferably 6'2. Yum :D

But...I'm seeing a guy at the moment who is 5'10 and it certainly doesn't bother me. I am taller than him in heels though, which is annoying but I deal with it lol.

Wouldn't go with a guy shorter. Maybe if he was absolutely amazing but I know it would put me off. Feeling a but small sometimes is nice. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

It really doesn't make a difference what height he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I smooched a girl once (I was shocked too!:p)..I'm 5ft 11, and she was 6ft 1, at first it was the novelty of kissing someone near to my own height, but that soon wore off and my god I was so intimated by her height. It just felt unnatural to me.
    Say for kissin and cuddling or that, I much prefer being the one to enclose my arms around them, so I'm more likely to be attracted to someone thats a wee bit shorter than myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm only 5"1 so if I came across a fella shorter than me I don't think I'd be interested. I love a tall guy who can wrap his arms around me it feels lovely and safe :D

I think it's the general rule, but I don't feel that way. Shorter guys don't really bother me, even despite the fact that I'm only 5'5. As far as I'm concerned great people come in all shapes and sizes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ideally I'd like someone quite a bit taller but short guys are pretty cute :P Current lurve interest 'claims' he's 5ft10 but I'd say on his tiptoes he'd barely scrape it - perfect height for me tho. I wouldn't rule out short guys but I guess if I was constructing my perfect guy from scratch I'd make him lots taller than me because I'm tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well I'm 5'2, so the situation isn't very likely to arise. I probably would find it offputting though (not to the point that I'd reject them solely on height, but it would be odd to date a man under 5'2 say the least)

Advertisement