Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you judge someone by where they are from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Rocket19 wrote: »
    I think that your accent reflects your backround, culture and ultimately, your values. That's how we can judge people on such things.
    Of course, it can be proven wrong, but that's probably an exception to the norm.
    Yep, it can indeed be proven wrong. I think it's bizarre to place that much stock in someone's accent. I've a number of friends who grew up in "pure" old-skool, Cha and Miah, Niall Tóibín piss-take Cark, in the shadow of the Shandon steeple, and they have extremely neutral accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I grew up in a supposedly rough area and it's always deeply hurt myself and my friends not to get affirmation from the bum offspring of the lower middle classes. We havent given up hope yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Having worked with people from areas such as Moyross and Roxboro in Limerick and Togher + Knocknaheeny in Cork, i could not say one bad thing about them. so i would not discriminate against a person because they came from a certain area.

I will judge people who wear tracksuits and runners every day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 carltoniII

i used to judge by intuition when younger because of tv newspapers etc. but when i met people face to face its grand. scawl at me i scawl back start on me i start back most people though are nice so i am to them. theres a few smartypants out there though they fukced me up the arse. the babies and preschoolers really sealed the deal though now they fart around head as high as a kite thinking it was all justified no guilt nothing. its just nothing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Don't really see why I would judge them. Where somebody grew up always seems to be relatively useless information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

if you're not from d4 dont think about knocking on my door

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

loike wrote: »

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

he's havin' a larf, check out the user name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'd never judge someone by where they are from. Thats so judgemental.

Now if they had an annoying scummer voice, well i hate em straight away. Oi hates dem scummers so oi does...ree:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, it can indeed be proven wrong. I think it's bizarre to place that much stock in someone's accent. I've a number of friends who grew up in "pure" old-skool, Cha and Miah, Niall Tóibín piss-take Cark, in the shadow of the Shandon steeple, and they have extremely neutral accents.

do you have any friends with the Cha and Miah accents, and if not why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Lol. Not everyone from Foxrock is a snob! People are so judgy! I also know a guy from Cabra and he is the nicest in the world.

I can forgive a slight northside accent but anything really strong isn't very appealing. I think that your accent reflects your backround, culture and ultimately, your values. That's how we can judge people on such things.
    Of course, it can be proven wrong, but that's probably an exception to the norm.

What utter shoysh.

he's havin' a larf, check out the user name :pac:

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

my accent and i are of the locale. lets just disregard appearance altogether eh?! nevermind whats in one's head. feel free make your assumptions now.. because i cant tell where the falutin' fook most of you are anyhow; if that were even an indicator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

do you have any friends with the Cha and Miah accents
    Certainly have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I went to school with people from Darndale, Edenmore, Harmonstown and the likes. Not the worst areas but they do have a name... they were the ones who thought I was posh.....Southsiders think I'm a tinker. :(
    Not taking the piss, but Darndale does seem like the worst area in Dublin tbh. The estates with the flower-names especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's not what I was asking.

I'm not going to instantly dislike someone because they grew up in the flats in Ballymun (not saying it's a bad place but it does have a reputation)

Are you telling me that if you saw the incident I mentioned in my OP that you wouldn't think "jeez, people in this place are a bit rough"

Didnt some lovely well adjusted young men kick another associate to death outside a dublin 4 nightclub some years back?

So i dont see your point. Snobbish comments make people snobbish. From my experience people from less well off backgrounds tend to be friendlier and kinder than their counterparts with a silver spoon in their gob.

Does that make me judge people? no i tend to make my adult decisions based on adult conversations with people. Guess i was raised correctly.;)

listermint wrote: »
    Didnt some lovely well adjusted young men kick another associate to death outside a dublin 4 nightclub some years back?

So i dont see your point.

I never claimed D4 to be a nice area or the people from there to be nice so I don't see your point.
    Snobbish comments make people snobbish. From my experience people from less well off backgrounds tend to be friendlier and kinder than their counterparts with a silver spoon in their gob.

What would you consider to be a "less well of area" and can you give an example of someone from a "well off area with a silver spoon in their mouth" to be anything short of decent?[/QUOTE]
    Guess i was raised correctly.

So was I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

pwd wrote: »
    Not taking the piss, but Darndale does seem like the worst area in Dublin tbh. The estates with the flower-names especially.

Had a relative who taught in a school there for 15 years, eventually she had to move schools, she just couldn't take it anymore. The stories she'd tell you were really depressing.

I think it's improved a lot lately though. Compared to some of the really rough parts of Finglas and Jobstown it's certainly not the worst.

But referring to the OP, would I go out with a girl from Darndale? As bad as this sounds, I can honestly say I wouldn't. If that makes me a snob so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I never claimed D4 to be a nice area or the people from there to be nice so I don't see your point.

You claimed that because some lads kicked some gentlemens teeth in that clondalkin was an area that you thought was em not quite the best.. I was making the comparison so in demonstrating that this sort of thing happens everywhere i was pressing the mute on your original comment.
    What would you consider to be a "less well of area" and can you give an example of someone from a "well off area with a silver spoon in their mouth" to be anything short of decent?

A less well off area is one that tends to have some / more socially provided housing. Less facilities, provided for, politcally neglected, poor provision of gardai facilities. And more often than not hasnt had wealth handed down through generations so people feel the need to look down on others.

So was I.
    Never said you were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Dudess wrote: »
    But aren't you judging them on their behaviour, not the fact they come from Finglas?

was more refering to their accents

• Advertisement

You claimed that because some lads kicked some gentlemens teeth in that clondalkin was an area that you thought was em not quite the best.. I was making the comparison so in demonstrating that this sort of thing happens everywhere i was pressing the mute on your original comment.

I also stated there were other incidents. It was not just a once off. The incident outside that nightclub was. Again, not defending the area, just saying.

Also, you are yet to give me an example of how middle class area residents are worse than those from a "less well off area".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

loike wrote: »

hehe. Or as one woman lady said during the Celtic Tiger house-seeking craze: 'if it hasn't a rock or a knock in it, it's not worth looking at'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

darndale isnt that bad ive been going there for over 3 years now and the people there are nice and friendly,the new generation of teenagers in the area have more to do than sit around like they used to.

over the 3 years spendung time there ive come across a girl who is starting a career as a designer another girl who loves photography,a couple of very good footballers now heading off to england/scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Judge somebody on their behavior. It's too easy to say he's a "scumbag" because he's wears tracksuit bottoms etc. it's just "dickish" and not cool to say the least.

You can't judge somebody on were they come from until you've met them. Simple as.

And people that judge on accents are out the window, with the exception of Irish people talking in Americanized accents - Major LOL!

flag123 wrote: »
    Judge somebody on their behavior.

Surely you'd judge someone on their personality no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You cant judge people by where they are from. I grew up and lived in a council estate with a high level of unemployment but now live in Dublin 4. Some of my neighbours from back home were as honest as the day is long and would bend over backwards to help you when you were in bother. However, others never worked a day in their lives, milked the dole for all it was worth and would actually steal the milk from outside your door. 2 completely different class of person from the same location.

I actually had a battle in my last job over hiring a young lady from a supposed bad area. This girl was the best grad I have ever come across in terms of knowledge. The other 2 on the panel felt that she wouldnt fit in with the tone of the office and wanted to hire the son of someone else in the company, who wasnt and still wouldnt be fit to lace the young lady's boots. I lost out and the young lad who came in failed, miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

Only if they are American. And patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Surely you'd judge someone on their personality no?

Yes I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you obviously have never been in dolphin house in dolphins barn so. if you see a dog with a tail you would say its a tourist

darndale has its problems but its nowhere near as bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

darndale isnt that bad ive been going there for over 3 years now and the people there are nice and friendly,the new generation of teenagers in the area have more to do than sit around like they used to.

over the 3 years spendung time there ive come across a girl who is starting a career as a designer another girl who loves photography,a couple of very good footballers now heading off to england/scotland.
    Are you saying that it's not a bad area because you know four people from there with talent and ambition? No such thing as a bad area by that rationale tbh.

I just got a bad impression from the huge graffiti saying things like "ENTER AT OWN RISK" and "**** THE PIGS", the huge piles of rubbish; the angry man holding a knife who seemed on the verge of a nervous breakdown; not to mention some of the most feral-looking dogs I've ever seen. The middle aged woman explaining how her household was being terrorised by a local family. Oh yeah, I think we had to "clear it" with some local figure before even going into one or two places.

I will say that this was all probably 8 years ago now though...
    you obviously have never been in dolphin house in dolphins barn so. if you see a dog with a tail you would say its a tourist

:O

Advertisement