Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you judge someone by where they are from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No. And I hate this "Oh deep down you do" stuff. I don't. This discussion came up before and someone asked "Well if you met a drug-dealer/criminal etc are you saying you wouldn't judge them?" - the question is, would you judge them on where they're from, not the person they are. I would of course judge them on what kind of person they are, but that's a different issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dionysus wrote: »
    My friends and I ...

You inferior member of the human race. :rolleyes:

A you made a mistake,,, i will correct it for you
    My friends and I ...

You superior member of the human race. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Oh I agree that its a horrible thing, I don't like it about myself, but its genuinely a hard habit to break!

Don't defend yourself Princess, these plebs are beneath us.....we don't need to explain ourselves to pesants! :D

Oh I agree that its a horrible thing, I don't like it about myself, but its genuinely a hard habit to break!

Gary glitter said that i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Yes if they are [EMAIL="English......w@nkers"]English......w@nkers[/EMAIL]
    English what?
    If you're going to say it, SAY IT!
    Typing some similar word is childish.
    Take a chance on a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Don't defend yourself Princess, these plebs are beneath us.....we don't need to explain ourselves to pesants! :D

Peasants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A you made a mistake,,, i will correct it for you

Get a room you two. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I only judge people if they're from where i'm from..arseholes the lot of us.

Get a room you two. . .

What:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Dionysus wrote: »
    Peasants.

:rolleyes: grammar police is one of the most annoying of such forums.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: grammar police is one of the most annoying of such forums.

Yes for sure, except that was spelling i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NatalieA

Everybody judges! And would be idiots not to do it! That's why god gave us brain! It is selfpreservation instinkt to do so! We are like anymals. But I am not justifying treating a man badly if he's from bad neighbourhood. That's why we have moral and values and so on, that's why we called human.
    It is sound thing to do to asses the danger coming from each individual. And our brain weights out all the risks. And it is more likely that someone from bad place will be bigger danger to us than someone from posh neighbourhood. It just more likely for someone to get mixed up with bad people if they around and more likely to buy or sell drugs if someone you know is doing it. Kids absorb what's around and what's "normal" and acceptable where they rased. Kid from good place less likely to use as his friends don't use.
    But it's only risk assesment. Good and bad people can be everywhere.
    I am prejudice, in some places try to pass quicker and not to attract any attention. In presence of some nations check my bag and my wallet still there. Of course I don't make it obviouse. I am trying to be nice to everyone and not to offend anybody. Just more cautious around higher risk individuals.

No, I wouldn't judge someone from where they come from. I grew up in a council area, I married someone from a council estate but my daughter goes to school in an "affluent" area, so I'm used to folk from all sorts of places and backgrounds.

There are definitelyplaces that I would like to live and places I wouldn't like to live, but I wouldn't judge an individual based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NatalieA

Most of my friends from councill estates, and they all wery good and nice people. Also lots of parents from my daughters creche are well off but they wery normal, good friends, and never treat us differently because we don't live in a fancy house.
    Would like to live in councill house, if neighbours not too bad, too dangerous, as what we have now too small and can't afford anything bigger just on my salary alone. :(
    Wonder if will be treated differently if move to such place? Probably not, unless we behave like thy type to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Generally no, but if you are from any of the following areas I wouldnt piss on you, ballyfermot, ballymun, clondakin, tallaght (actually F it most of the northside of dublin) and limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

orourkeda wrote: »
    Of course. There is nobody who does not have a chip on their shoulder. It's best to accept and admit your prejudices.

Besides, your first instincts and impressions are right more often than they are wrong.

Would it not be better to question your prejudices, probe into whether or not they're justified, attempt to broaden your horizons, expand your understanding and grow as a person?
    Apart from anything else, it would surely be a more interesting and fertile modus operandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yes and no. the impulse is always there innit.. too many folk try too hard to fit in, or rather just simply slip into the er - majoritus operandi.. n we all know what that equates to generally, without dicing it up into regions .. n its not a class issue either. just most folk seem to assume the same common, localized traits. don't avoid people with narrow prospects, just avoid narrow avenues of culture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm suspicious of all people who live in odd-numbered houses.

Yes, this is crazy. But so is judging people based purely on the county/area they live in.

I've lived in 6 different locations around Dublin (Castleknock, Clondalkin, Ballymun, Finglas, Phibsborough, Walkinstown). What does that, if anything, say about me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

We all do it whether jokingly or not. Ah sure he's from Dublin so he's probably a w**ker. He's from Limerick, watch your wallet. He's from Mayo, he's a dirty bogger. He's from Leitrim, wait where? And so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 winter_rose72

How about American NOT a part of the government? :0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep i do and tbh im not ashamed of it. My oh is from Finglas and I know there are some lovely people there( my elderly cousin being one), but cant help but cringe when i hear his sister talking with her friends, serious cross the road if they were coming towards you teritory, maybe because he lived in tallaght till he was 13 and then went to school in glasnevin he dosent have the real thick accent where as she does.

On the other hand i live in wicklow in what would be considered a nice aera and i swear i dont want to be here when some of the 10-12 year olds hit 15-17 out and out scumbags even now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Generally no, but if you are from any of the following areas I wouldnt piss on you, ballyfermot, ballymun, clondakin, tallaght (actually F it most of the northside of dublin) and limerick!

you may as well include south dublin as well because there are plenty, if not more shitholes there then there are on the northside

We are just a race of savages, hate everyone not from your area, think your better than everyone else, a common word on this thread seems to be judge. That was the basis of nazism, they are inferior to us in our judgement.

Its a wonder we have not destroyed ourselves. There is time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Yes, sometimes will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I'm suspicious of all people who live in odd-numbered houses.

Yes, this is crazy. But so is judging people based purely on the county/area they live in.

I've lived in 6 different locations around Dublin (Castleknock, Clondalkin, Ballymun, Finglas, Phibsborough, Walkinstown). What does that, if anything, say about me?

That you like to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

No. Absolutely not. It's completely stupid to judge someone based on some stereotype notion.

Just because someone's from somewhere does not make them a certain type of character.

Same way people wearing certain clothes, even shabby, does not make them any less of a person. They may simply have been locked out of their home, rushed someone to hospital or any other reason and hadn't got a chance to change into something nicer or more suitable.

It's this pre-judgment utter crap that has Ireland such a depressing place to live for many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Generally no, but if you are from any of the following areas I wouldnt piss on you, ballyfermot, ballymun, clondakin, tallaght (actually F it most of the northside of dublin)

You realize the majority of your examples are on the southside of Dublin?
    and limerick!

Ridiculous, there are incredibly affluent areas in Limerick like Adare. And if you mean the city you have very nice places like the North Circular Road.
    Can you name the various neighborhoods in Limerick? Do you know the city or get your info from hysterical RTÉ reports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Sometimes I suppose I would. If they were sound though I wouldn't give a fcuk where they're from tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

jd007 wrote: »
    Sometimes I suppose I would. If they were sound though I wouldn't give a fcuk where they're from tbh.

Define 'sound'?

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Arthurdaly
    Generally no, but if you are from any of the following areas I wouldnt piss on you, ballyfermot, ballymun, clondakin, tallaght (actually F it most of the northside of dublin)

You realize the majority of your examples are on the southside of Dublin?

O no

Advertisement