Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you judge someone by where they are from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Biggins wrote: »
    The Dail before Chiristmas when they visted there alone.
    The North Koreans alone were there around the 7th of Dec' watching proceedings.
    And I've met American legislators a number of times.

Well lah-de-dah :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

krudler wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

But I also judge people based on their accents. A Heavy clondalkin accent makes my skin crawl and I will immediately assume that person is a sh1t, until proven otherwise.

How do they prove that, fill in an application form?

People do definitely judge based on what country you're from, its such a stereotype but stereotypes do exist for a reason, when i was in the States and mentioned I was Irish, it kinda became a running joke that I'd always be the drunk one, even though I wasnt drinking much (well compared to the American, lighweights :pac: ) and since it was mostly Aussies on the tour I was hoping it wouldnt be the stereotypical yobbo Aussie "get a few beers and a barbie going" loud, AFL playing types, which there were (****) but also some of the nicest people on the bus were Aussies who though those guys were tools as well, are there people who fit into country stereotypes? of course, doesnt mean everyone from there does though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

:pac:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yes absolutely.

I'm a snob, and I'm horribly judgmental.

At least I'm honest!
    This ^
    exactly the same - i will judge people by clothes, accent, where they're from - i'm willing to change my opinion on someone but it is better to be safe than sorry!
    And this ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Abi wrote: »
    This ^

And this ^

Agreed. They're made for each other, those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

No because experience has taught me to never judge a book by its cover. Some of my close friends would be considered skangers by people on here, but they're some of the kindest people I know. I've met people from hardcore loyalist areas in Belfast and they were sounder than most nationalists I've met.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

orourkeda wrote: »
    Clontarf is just heaven on earth isn't it

http://www.irishdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/gerry-ryan-rip.jpg

How much did he spend on coke per week as a matter of interest.

What the f**k has Gerry Ryan got to do with anything?! Who gives a sh*t what he spent his money on. He didn't bring the area down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Just wondering if any of yee judge people by where they are from...

I suppose I do initially, but it doesn't form part of my opinion once I get to know someone on a deeper level.

I'm more likely to judge someone on where they're going than where they're from.

• Advertisement

No because experience has taught me to never judge a book by its cover. Some of my close friends would be considered skangers by people on here, but they're some of the kindest people I know. I've met people from hardcore loyalist areas in Belfast and they were sounder than most nationalists I've met.

I hate this phrase, especially in relation to books, the cover tells you what its about! if I bought a book with a cover showing a tale of Velociraptor riding pirates and subsequently read a story of a young girls struggle to play the piano despite her alcoholic fathers request she work at Hooters, I'd be sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Yes, I do have 'defensive prejudices' to an extent, and I think almost everyone does too, just try not to take it too seriously etc etc, it's all been said already.

However, a more interesting question I think is if you're more hesitant to 'mix' with 'other types' when you're on the pull on a night out? For example, if a real D4 type or a junkie comes up to you to chat you up, do you think 'yeah, I'll give him/her a chance' or not? I wouldn't be at all concerned who passes me in a dark laneway or sits next to me on a bus etc, but when it comes to 'getting it on', I think most of my friends and myself are (sub)consciously kinda reluctant in that respect, although I'm only guessing, I've never really asked them.

Or maybe I'm just too picky and that's why I never get my bit!:pac:

I hate this phrase, especially in relation to books, the cover tells you what its about! if I bought a book with a cover showing a tale of Velociraptor riding pirates and subsequently read a story of a young girls struggle to play the piano despite her alcoholic fathers request she work at Hooters, I'd be sorely disappointed.

I dont like the phrase myself, but it would be hard to judge if the book was good or bad from its cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I dont like the phrase myself, but it would be hard to judge if the book was good or bad from its cover.
    What he said.

What he said.

I dunno, what if it has Twilight on the title? instant sh1teness right there.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Simply because someone is from a certain area it wouldn't put me off them, tbh. Some of the soundest people I know are from 'rough' areas in Dublin. If they looked like a pure scobe then I'd be a bit hesitant, but I'd give them a chance.

That's not what I was asking.

I'm not going to instantly dislike someone because they grew up in the flats in Ballymun (not saying it's a bad place but it does have a reputation)

Are you telling me that if you saw the incident I mentioned in my OP that you wouldn't think "jeez, people in this place are a bit rough"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My own expierence has thought me not to judge someone by were they are from ( although it will be easy to do so straightaway with some people who come with warning lights attached ) :pac:

Not everybody who comes from from a posh suberb is a ' Snob ' and some of the biggest posers and snobs I have met are those who once they climb de ladder and escape to a more refined neighbourhood , then go on to try adopt all the pretentious mannerisims of 'De Snob ' while trying to loose touch with original roots .

( Real professional Snobs will avoid the latter like the plague ) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Not really, I've met plenty of people who are sound but might come from a dodgy place. But I do tend to wonder sometimes. I mean, sometimes you get a sense for people before you know them. That might make you judge them. Maybe it might be the way they look, or act, but there are those types who give off a negative image. But I wouldn't be judgemental of an area nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Now to be fair, I'll still treat anyone with respect and politeness regardless of who they are or where they are from (unless they are a scumbag groping in me in a nightclub.)

But I will judge them in my mind, and slate them behind their back!

Now to be fair, I'll still treat anyone with respect and politeness regardless of who they are or where they are from (unless they are a scumbag groping in me in a nightclub.)

Agreed. I'll always give someone a civil conversation but silently judge them in my head as I get to know them

• Advertisement

I judge loads of people in my mind, but I don't slate them behind their backs or anywhere else. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Slating people behind their back is nothing to be proud of...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Giselle wrote: »
    I judge loads of people in my mind, but I don't slate them behind their backs or anywhere else. Life's too short.

Oh I agree that its a horrible thing, I don't like it about myself, but its genuinely a hard habit to break!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I see people as innocent until proven guilty.

It'd be hypicritical of me to judge people for being from ****ty areas seeing as how I lived in a kippish part of Blanchardstown for the first 18 years of my life.

If I hear of any fellow boardsies judging me because my location says D15, I'm gonna hunt you down and stab you!!!:mad:

:pac:

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    ...my location says D15...

**shudders**

Please dont mention those words in my thread again

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Me and my friends have a fun game, judge the people that walk by in the pub.

My new years resolution is to be a nicer person :o

what a Cúnt

yes I can judge people from time to time.

Slating people behind their back is nothing to be proud of...

Except if your a cheaP Princess

maxxie wrote: »
    what a Cúnt

yes I can judge people from time to time.

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

i think we all do as its part of our shared history, a part of evolution. i wouldnt say theres malice intended just a natural instinct. luckily we have also evoloved to recognise the faults in our evolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Yes absolutely. I'm a snob, and I'm horribly judgmental.... Me and my friends have a fun game, judge the people that walk by in the pub.

My new years resolution is to be a nicer person :o

My friends and I ...

You inferior member of the human race. :rolleyes:

Advertisement