Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you judge someone by where they are from?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 2:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having a debate with the missus stemming from a conversation last night with the extended family.

We were all yapping about different places and the neighborhoods etc. I'm currently living in Clondalkin with the OH and have been for the past 10 months. Personally, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the area. Nothing has happened to me on a personal note but stuff has happened around the area which shouldn't have. One example was 3 youths knocking on her parents door (next estate over) at 2am, after following her sister home hassling her for alcohol, taking a swing at her mam and then kicking in her dads teeth in as he lay unconscious on the pavement.

To me, this gives off a pretty bad image of the area. There has been one or 2 other small instances around the place. It's hard for me not to judge the area after these things.

I grew up in Clontarf and stuff like that was just unheard of.

Just wondering if any of yee judge people by where they are from...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Yes absolutely.

I'm a snob, and I'm horribly judgmental.

At least I'm honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have to admit yes, although unfairly so at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Read it as...
    Having a debate with the missus stemming from a conversation last night with the extended family.

We were all Fapping about different places.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not straight away, I wait to find out about them a bit before I judge them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

baz2009 wrote: »
    Not straight away, I wait to find out about them a bit before I judge them.

So even if the above happened you wouldn't being to paint a picture in your head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Yes if they are English......w@nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Yes absolutely.

At least I'm honest!

exactly the same - i will judge people by clothes, accent, where they're from - i'm willing to change my opinion on someone but it is better to be safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yes absolutely.

At least I'm honest!

I dunno living in Mushroom kingdom doesn't seem to good either, I wouldn't like being kidnapped every second f*cking day of the week. It must be tiring for you at this point.

exactly the same - i will judge people by clothes, accent, where they're from - i'm willing to change my opinion on someone but it is better to be safe than sorry!

Me and my friends have a fun game, judge the people that walk by in the pub.

My new years resolution is to be a nicer person :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Of course. There is nobody who does not have a chip on their shoulder. It's best to accept and admit your prejudices.

Besides, your first instincts and impressions are right more often than they are wrong.

• Advertisement

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I dunno living in Mushroom kingdom doesn't seem to good either, I wouldn't like being kidnapped every second f*cking day of the week. It must be tiring for you at this point.

At least I know I'm better than everyone else living there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I have to admit, yes I do.

There's people living near me from Moyross in Limerick and I always think that if something bad happens around this area, which would be unheard of, I personally would say "oh it was probably the crowd from Moyross"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bah why ruin your fun in the pursuit of being 'nice' - you're just gonna be thinking the same things so you'll just be trying to fool people into the fact you're nice!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I think everyone does this, it's just that some are willing to revise their opinion where others aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

So even if the above happened you wouldn't being to paint a picture in your head?

Simply because someone is from a certain area it wouldn't put me off them, tbh. Some of the soundest people I know are from 'rough' areas in Dublin. If they looked like a pure scobe then I'd be a bit hesitant, but I'd give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

orourkeda wrote: »
    Of course. There is nobody who does not have a chip on their shoulder. It's best to accept and admit your prejudices.

Besides, your first instincts and impressions are right more often than they are wrong.

I wouldn't agree that first impressions are right more often than not. It's pretty blanket to say everyone's are right more than not. A lot of people are blinkered by prejudice. Except me, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Would you not pick something easier:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Yes absolutely.

At least I'm honest!

+1 you're 100% like me, i hate scumbags...if you live in a certain area i paint everyone with the same brush, i'm an absolute snob and arrogant as hell....we should date! ;)

And i was right!...you are a spoiled princess! :-)

We were all yapping about different places and the neighborhoods etc. I'm currently living in Clondalkin with the OH and have been for the past 10 months. Personally, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of the area. Nothing has happened to me on a personal note but stuff has happened around the area which shouldn't have. One example was 3 youths knocking on her parents door (next estate over) at 2am, after following her sister home hassling her for alcohol, taking a swing at her mam and then kicking in her dads teeth in as he lay unconscious on the pavement.

To me, this gives off a pretty bad image of the area. There has been one or 2 other small instances around the place. It's hard for me not to judge the area after these things.

I grew up in Clontarf and stuff like that was just unheard of.

Just wondering if any of yee judge people by where they are from...

Clontarf is just heaven on earth isn't it

http://www.irishdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/gerry-ryan-rip.jpg

How much did he spend on coke per week as a matter of interest.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that first impressions are right more often than not. It's pretty blanket to say everyone's are right more than not. A lot of people are blinkered by prejudice. Except me, obviously.

Anyone who is wrong more often than they are right would want to get their sh1t together.

• Advertisement

+1 you're 100% like me, i hate scumbags...if you live in a certain area i paint everyone with the same brush, i'm an absolute snob and arrogant as hell....we should date! ;)

Don't get me started on scumbags!

I'd date you, but I'd need to see every item of clothing you wear a documented proof of every house you've ever lived in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm far from perfect so I would say "yes".
    For example:

* Anyone from a Rome org, I would judge as been untrustworthy, far, far out of date and two-faced liars.
    * Anyone from China I would regard as being very uninformed as to what their state heads are doing and how they are oppressed within their own borders.
    * I would judge North Koreans similar.
    * I would judge Irish people as too complacent!
    * I would judge anyone from the American government to be a bunch of two faced liars and in some cases possible war criminals!
    * I would judge the military heads of Burma and Zimbabwe to be a bunch of power hungry ****!
    ...And so on...

I could be very wrong to judge/see such people such way - but I'm human, not infallible!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm far from perfect so I would say "yes".
    For example:

* Anyone from a Rome org, I would judge as been untrustworthy, far, far out of date and two-faced liars.
    * Anyone from China I would regard as being very uninformed as to what their state heads are doing and how they are oppressed within their own borders.
    * I would judge North Koreans similar.
    * I would judge Irish people as too complacent!
    * I would judge anyone from the American government to be a bunch of two faced liars and in some cases possible war criminals!
    * I would judge the military heads of Burma and Zimbabwe to be a bunch of power hungry ****!
    ...And so on...

I could be very wrong do judge/see such people such way - but I'm human, not infallible!

What pubs do you go to where you meet US heads of state and Burmese military personel?

I think the op mean people from Cork and parts of Dublin, that kinda thing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I wouldn't be judging anybody else no matter where there from,i take everyone on there own merit when i talk or meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wouldnt really judge someone by where they're from, it has nothing to do with your personality, a lot of my mams side of the family are from whats now one of the worst areas of Limerick, and I spent a lot of time there growing up, and we're as far from scumbags as you could get, just as a lot of people from the same area are, they were just working class families and once the drugs came in the place went to hell, doesnt mean everyone from there is a scumbag though, same as any rough area in any city in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

krudler wrote: »
    What pubs do you go to where you meet US heads of state and Burmese military personel?

I think the op mean people from Cork and parts of Dublin, that kinda thing :pac:

Not all of Cork is bad. And also, what about Limerick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Dail before Chiristmas when they visted there alone.
    The North Koreans alone were there around the 7th of Dec' watching proceedings.
    And I've met American legislators a number of times.
    Well speaking in provincial light, my answer to the OP question would be "NO".
    I don't see the good people of Limerick as all knife wielding maniacs nor do I see D4 householders as evil incarnate just because of where they reside.

I think most people judge other people by state - rather than by individual inner province.
    (But there is always the exception to every rule. Cavan people!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I wouldn't, where you're from doesnt define you and it doesn't make you a better or worse person.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I go a step further, I judge a whole area as being scummy while acknowledging that not everyone is scummy in that area so I have an open mind when I actually meet people from that area. As I have found the majority of people I meet are quite nice. Except Kildare, fcuk kildare.

But I also judge people based on their accents. A Heavy clondalkin accent makes my skin crawl and I will immediately assume that person is a sh1t, until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

no, I dont give a ****e where somebody is from, really wouldnt even ask. Majority of people from "bad" areas are not scumbags so why would I preume that somebody from a bad area was anything.

Advertisement