Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

greatest engine/engines ever built.

Options

Comments

bmw535d wrote: »

if your auto motive knowledge extended past top gear and honest john

Dude, that's my line :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's inherently flawed as to be a truly representative it would have to have every engine produced and not the ones you thought up. The poll shows the opinions of users on your choices. That is all.

Also, if i have an opinion on the result so far and want to voice it I will. If you have a problem with it report the post instead of back seat modding.

I'd also reckon most of the 17 who voted for the VAG lump actually own one and know sweet f all about cars anyway. Also the 2.0 version is dirt, the 1.9 was quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Plug wrote: »
    The BMW 3.2 L S54 is the best in my opinion, just listen to the sound of this beast, if anyone posts a better sounding engine than this they deserve a pint!
    20 seconds, speakers up full blast. AMAZING

Not an automotive engine, but DOES sound better:

Rolls Royce Merlin V12. In a Hawker Hurricane at 100 feet. Nothing like it, not just loud, but the harmonics, the bass, the power, the weight of the air as it passes you.

The first sound grabs you in the stomach, and as the engine approaches, squeezes every muscle in your gut, zings every nerve in your body until you are hooked, and, after the 'plane has passed, you never quite get over it, and constantly miss it, until it becomes part of you.

Other than that - Peugeot XUD series engines, the first high reving diesel engine, high mileage, high economy, high power, with a turbo strapped on to it - some degree of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

EPM wrote: »
    It's inherently flawed as to be a truly representative it would have to have every engine produced and not the ones you thought up. The poll shows the opinions of users on your choices. That is all.

Also, if i have an opinion on the result so far and want to voice it I will. If you have a problem with it report the post instead of back seat modding.

the poll clearly shows that most of the options are from the list of the engines of the year award, just because your favorite engine isn't on it doesn't mean i'm biased.having every engine on it would be impossible so thats just an immature can think of nothing else reply,voice your opinion all you want,i only report posts against the charter, how am i back seat modding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

the poll represent the opinions of the people of boards and so far the vag tdi is on top,so enough of the die hard petrol fans making up excuses about farmers on there way to mass, move on.

if your auto motive knowledge extended past top gear and honest john you would quit whining about the results of the poll.

How does it represent the opinions of people of boards? :confused:
    Did I miss the thread for nominations?

And, sorry I will now bow down before you all-knowing one :P

You have no idea what other people's automotive knowledge is.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

none of the above!

a rolls-royce merlin V12 from a spitfire (will go in a car - just! - live to see one in a car with the 'charger still connected;) imagine what the torque must be!)

27,000cc's of pure muscle, unsilenced and spitting flames!

you'd get over the 0.3mpg just for the gorgeous noise!

Shoulda read the whole thread. D'oh!

Awesome engine - the engine that saved the world from Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Toyota should be on the list
    someone clearly has a soft spot for BMW, Therefore thread is a joke thanks if you agree

i only report posts against the charter,

are you one of them types :P

how am i back seat modding?

Accusing me of trolling, ordering other posters to "move on". We're having a discussion on topic here, that's what boards is about.

What's up, did you not get what you wanted off Santa?

• Advertisement

kazul wrote: »
    How does it represent the opinions of people of boards? :confused:
    Did I miss the thread for nominations?

And, sorry I will now bow down before you all-knowing one :P

You have no idea what other people's automotive knowledge is.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    are you one of them types :P
    kazul wrote: »
    Accusing me of trolling, ordering other posters to "move on". We're having a discussion on topic here, that's what boards is about.

What's up, did you not get what you wanted off Santa?

because the people of boards have voted? what are you missing?

bow all you like:D

true i don't but some of the post reflect alot.

yes, indeed i am and so should everyone report posts for name calling etc,because it would end up ridiculous if boardsie's didn't,

you where on about people having std's because you had nothing constructive to say, which is totally off topic and trollish, i believe i was asking people to move on, not ordering;)

discuss further please:rolleyes:

santa was very very good to me this year, thank you for asking.:D

Just stop using my Honest John and Topgear line ok :p

it's so true in a lot of cases though;)

So you post up a list of engines and ask people to vote.

You made up the list so the options are limited/the list is not the opinion of other posters.

Then you get in a snot when some of us disagree with the results/nominations.

You're coming across very childish and immature when others point out the error of your ways.

I like an oil burner for heating my house and petrol to power my V6.
    Why not look at the wards list? Way more accurate in terms of a real analysis of top engines than a straw poll amongst keyboard warriors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

the poll clearly shows that most of the options are from the list of the engines of the year award, just because your favorite engine isn't on it doesn't mean i'm biased.having every engine on it would be impossible so thats just an immature can think of nothing else reply,voice your opinion all you want,i only report posts against the charter, how am i back seat modding?

By telling me (not asking) to stop whining. Re read your post if you need to.

Also I voted. Based on the list provided though. And because I believe one of the options is a great engineering tour de force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Slightly OFF TOPIC but its bloody annoying the countless times someone starts a thread and someone directs them to HJ for advice :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How come no one has raised the all too common issue of turbo failure, injector problems or air mass meter failure on the 1.9 pd tdi engines? Or am i the only one brave enough to highlight these issues... Sorry if ive upset some idiots out there, im awaiting for the "ive never heard of that cos its made up" replies :D

If one wants a crackin diesel, anything by Mercedes, BMW or Fiat will be easier on fuel, be much more reliable, much nicer to listen to and can safely say theyre not a sheep :)

But to vote a diesel engine as the best engine of all time, what have people become... What about the flat 4 the Beetles had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I am surprised at the relative lack of support in the poll for the Volkswagen 1.4 twincharged TSI, given the acclaim it has recieved internationally.

Granted I am biased because I own one, but God I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything*.

*in a similar price bracket :)

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Slightly OFF TOPIC but its bloody annoying the countless times someone starts a thread and someone directs them to HJ for advice :rolleyes:

What's better (or worse) is when someone asks for advice about a particular car and someone lists off the sh1t they just read on HJ and reckons we'll all think they're in the know, now that is funny :pac:

What's better (or worse) is when someone asks for advice about a particular car and someone lists off the sh1t they just read on HJ and reckons we'll all think they're in the know, now that is funny :pac:

Or copies and pastes it...........:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

i agree that they may be very robust. but the trade of of bhp output is reliability. therefor anyone could screw the output of a normal reliable engine way down to make it just as reliable. it doesn't even have a turbo. which explains its utter poor performance. the vw 1.9 straight diesel would be just as reliable and has way better out put per liter.

and this thread/poll isn't about the most robust reliable engine ever made its about the greatest, so reliability is only one factor when voting or posting

I know it isn't all about reliability, maybe be you should clarify what you feel greatest is........... your list suggests its all about power/performance which IMO is rubbish! what are the factors in your opinion??

kuro2k wrote: »
    what are the factors???

Diesel, German, 1.9 or 2.0...............:pac:

Diesel, German, 1.9 or 2.0...............:pac:

Or Jap and 1.3 Petrol

i feel the greatest engine ever made would be the BMW v10. over 100-bhp per liter(n/a benchmark), god like sound, high revving, faultless so far, many have over 150k in the past 5 years put up in the us. ive you google "m5 v10 faults" nothing i repeat nothing comes up.

please enlighten me as to what you feel is the greatest engine ever made.then i will research it and reply based on what i read.

my factors are, power output per liter(turbo should be 150bhp per liter at least, n/a should be 100bhp at least) sound,reliability,technological advance at date of design ,rev limit,cost,economy, appearance, success(sale numbers)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

turbo should be 150bhp per liter at least, n/a should be 100bhp at least

That disqualifies nearly all of the engines in your list :)

i feel the greatest engine ever made would be the BMW v10. over 100-bhp per liter(n/a benchmark), god like sound, high revving, faultless so far, many have over 150k in the past 5 years put up in the us. ive you google "m5 v10 faults" nothing i repeat nothing comes up.

please enlighten me as to what you feel is the greatest engine ever made.then i will research it and reply based on what i read.

my factors are, power output per liter(turbo should be 150bhp per liter at least, n/a should be 100bhp at least) sound,reliability,technological advance at date of design ,rev limit,cost,economy, appearance, success(sale numbers)

are you serious?????

are you serious?????

no:D

unkel wrote: »
    That disqualifies nearly all of the engines in your list :)

most of the performance based engines are 100bhp na.

most of the performance based engines are 100bhp na.

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

its ok to be confused, i understand;)

Advertisement