Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highs/lows of 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Lows:
    My uncle passing away from cancer that we thought he'd beaten, and seeing the effects on my family
    Financial burden on my parents, and me adding to it
    Discovering that I absolutely hate the college course that I'm doing
    Not being able to afford a holiday, especially since the long-awaited Oxegen was awful!

Highs:
    Having a great year with my boyfriend (despite the distance!)
    Achieving Leaving Cert results that I never imagined I could get
    Being brave enough to admit I'm not happy in college, so I can hopefully do something about it
    Becoming more independent and assertive regarding what I want to do in life
    Learning Spanish
    Making my family proud because of academic achievements

An up-and-down year :):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

This year has flown by!

Highs

- Getting engaged :D
    - Going back to college
    - Making new friends at work
    - Winning a boxing match
    - Losing 30 lbs and getting fit
    - Getting a time of 70 min in my first Flora mini marathon
    - Trip to NYC, Amsterdam, even Killarney was great
    - Getting veneers and finally having the confidence to smile in pictures
    - Concerts - KISS, RATM, Diamond Head
    - My OH coming off warfarin and being able to drink again and the subsequent drunken nights out!

Lows

None spring to mind, it's been a great year. Family are a pain in the ass but that's nothing new. I guess the worst is the snowy weather and pay cuts - but that effects everyone doesn't it!

Oh yea that prick Axl Rose's behaviour at the Guns n Roses concert. Never did get my money back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I think all in all 2010 was a good year.

HIGHS

Keeping my business going and not letting anyone go.

Losing over 4 stone in the last 18 months and feeling so much better about myself.

Buying clothes in a size 18 and looking forward to the next size down.

My hubands company really taking off and the work flooding in. So proud of him.

Getting a award in the field I work in.

Great trips to London and Madrid.

Seeing my fitness level going up. Walked 4 miles each morning, 6 days a week until the morning got to dark.

Having lunch in gordon Ramseys Maze. Good fun and exciting.

My best friend moving back to Ireland.

Having the most amazing husband in the whole world.

Making new friends who are so lovely.

Cooking and eating as healthy as I can and really enjoying it.

LOWS.

MY best friends marrage breaking up.

Not having a baby. Totally heart breaking

Having to cut a very toxic close friend out of my life and hearing all the bitching she is doing about me.

my mums health going down hill and not able to do anything about it.

Having so much less money than before and for the first time in years having to think before I spend but working harder than ever.

Never having any me time from working longer hours.

Missing my husband as he is away alot.

A lot of the lows are more moans than lows but all in all a pretty good year. 2009 was awful and I have a feeling 2011 will be a fantastic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Highs:
    * Setting up an entire new life for myself on the opposite side of the world and loving each and every day
    * Getting over my broken heart and realizing that everything really does happen for a reason
    * Meeting my best friends - people i know in my heart and soul i would do anything for and they for me
    * Seeing my Mammy again after 2 years travelling
    * Being independent - getting an awesome job - getting CLOSER to Residency:)
    * Having the time of my life

Lows:
    * Uncle comitting suicide, cousin nearly loosing his leg, best friend being raped.
    * Saying goodbye to my Mammy and not knowing when i would see her again
    * Realizing just how sick she really is and admitting to the fact that sooner or later i will be her full time carer
    * Not seeing my Daddy
    * Putting on 10kg in 10 months (obviously having too much fun!)
    * Acting the drunken maggot a few too many times to be proud of :S

Bit of a mixture really - really hope 2011 is much better, many more highs and no lows please Mr Godman!

AMAZING thread !! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Lows:

My grandmother passed away this year aged 95. She was ill for a long time but it was tough to see her go.

My husband had 2 operations this year - that was tough as he spent several weeks in hospital but glad he is on the mend now.

Highs:

My sister had a baby girl.

Another sister built her house.

Next year we will have a family wedding, we are going for a weekend away in February (a Christmas gift from my family), a holiday in Poland with friends in July, 2011 will be our year!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

High:
    Finally getting out of the education system. With a 1.1 degree as it happens, but happier about not having to cope with that stress anymore

Low:
    Not getting the masters course I applied for
    Realising that my life is mind-numbingly dull without college work to keep it ticking over
    The freakin cost of applying for masters courses! We’re talking 50 quid a pop.

High:
    Ending a relationship I was only vaguely happy in, after 10 whole months.

Lows:
    Realising early on that we weren’t suited, but not wanting to break up because I knew it’d break his heart. Passing by a ‘better opportunity’ to stay with him.
    Being utterly not aroused by said boyfriend.
    But then being worse hit by the (inevitable) break-up than I expected.
    Getting back with him, only to cheat on him, and worst of all, not feel bad about having done so.
    Breaking up with him again. Breaking his heart.
    Wondering if friends who knew judged me for what I’d done.
    Scoring a guy I really liked, but him being unable to keep it up during sex. Him subsequently being an aloof bastard, and then seeming all interested, only to alternate between the two as often as the wind changes.
    Developing a crush on someone I can't have a crush on.

Other Highs:
    Becoming more certain of what I want from life.
    Moving out of home – having space to think, learning about independent living.
    Learning how much I am capable of.
    Learning that my parents are there for me, even if they aren't always there for each other.
    Feeling ridiculously sexy at times, despite not being what you might term ‘conventionally attractive’ body-shape wise.
    Realising I want to 'experiment' - this not making me feel dirty for the first time in my life.
    The numbers game on facebook.
    Becoming really good friends with someone who used to annoy me.
    Mary Byrne’s this is a man’s world on X factor.

Lows:
    Intermittent depression - being paralysed by the feeling that everything is futile and whatever I do isn’t good enough.
    Working with the person I would consider to be my best friend – it really strained the relationship.
    Being stalked.
    A prolonged pregnancy scare.
    Arguments.
    Nightmares.
    Crap sex.
    And oh, the first 12 months of 2010 generally...

...Won't be sorry to see the back of The Year of the Snow. 2011 will probably involve emigration. That should prove interesting.

Advertisement