Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highs/lows of 2010

Options
  • 22-12-2010 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading old threads in this forum and there was a 'Highs/lows of 2009' one, so I thought I'd start one for this year.

Highs for me this year :
    - An amazing spur of the moment holiday to Spain with friends in August.
    - Kildare getting to the All-Ireland semi-final. Yup, I'm a GAA fan!
    - Seeing my little brother achieve so many wonderful things. There were loads of days when I watched him, playing sports on county teams, receiving awards, and I couldn't have felt any more proud.
    - On a more serious note, some good progress with health related issues which is a pretty big high now, looking back.
    - Oh, and I suppose the day I met my boyfriend was alright! :pac:

Lows for me this year :
    - February and March. Upsetting my parents.
    - Not being able to continue working.
    - Kildare losing the semi-final.
    - The death of my grandad, and just how vulnerable my dad looked at his funeral.

So, what are yours?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Highs:
    Getting to my best physical fitness ever.
    Taking part in a triathlon
    Coming second in indoor rowing
    Rowing across the Irish Sea from Arklow to Wales
    Having the best laugh ever with my friends
    Moving out of Home then moving back in again 9months later
    Getting back in contact with a few old friends

Lows
    Close friend being killed in a car crash
    My Nana dying
    Work getting so bad I feel like i'm being pushed out
    Loosing contact with a good friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Highs:

Making good friends in Spain and settling into the country more.

Discovering I have a knack for teaching English and being popular among my students even though I´m essentially blagging it.

Meeting the man of my dreams.

Quitting smoking (very proud of this...it´s been 11 months!)

Getting healthy and being happier with my physical appearance at 30 years of age than I´ve ever been.

Improving my Spanish.

Feeling good about turning 30...realising all the panic surrounding the Big Three Oh is a load of rubbish.

Seeing a close friend get married...they´re a great match and will last forever.

Getting on better with my dad...we´ve both chilled out in our old age.

Having a job during a recession.

Realising I have good friends who really do love me.

Lows:

Losing the man of my dreams :o

Having to move house 3 times in one year...I´ve accumulated so much crap in 15 months.

Seeing a good friend go through the deaths of two close relatives in a short space of time.

Struggling financially.

Realising that although I love Spain, it´s not for me and having to make the decision to move continent again next year.

Overall it´s been a grand year when I think about it but what I´ve learnt is that the things that have gone wrong for me have been within my control. I have to take a bit more control over my own life. You make your own happiness n all that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Highs:
    - Finishing my masters with a merit
    - Getting a good work placement and then getting a paid extension for three months
    - Getting a fantastic new job for next year
    - My boyfriend turning up in London as a surprise for my birthday weekend
    - Discovering that my family really will be there for me when I need them
    - Going on a rather last-minute trip to Kenya, and meeting my foster elephant

Lows:
    - The first friend I made when I came to London being hit by a car in the early hours of New Years Day, going into a coma, and dying at the end of March
    - Another friend from home getting rather upsetting scan results
    - My boyfriend moving to Namibia, twice (six months the first time, probably for about a year this time)
    - Being really strapped for cash at one point, I could barely afford food for a few weeks
    - Having the flatmate from hell, who thankfully moved out after six months of torture
    - Putting on weight, gah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Highs of 2010

- Getting a new job and being able to leave the one that crushed my soul and made me feel terrible about myself on a daily basis.
    - Moving into a lovely new house with my best friend and some other friends and finally feeling settled in London for the first time ever.
    - Getting out of a relationship that was making me miserable.
    - Meeting the girl that I want to marry and falling ridiculously in love.
    - Massively toning down the amount that I drink and realising that I don't need to be pissed to have a good time.
    - Feeling happier than I have ever been, feeling like I can actually achieve things and for the most part not being horrendously depressed.

Lows of 2010

- Losing a friend through being a bit of an arse when I'm drunk.
    - Getting a much lower grade in my end of year exams than I wanted which will affect my final grade.

But the highs more than make up for it. Thank you 2010...best year of my entire life!!! And I am all the more determined to make 2011 even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

highs:
    getting married to my soul mate
    finding an awesome 106 gti
    discovering loads of really good music
    taking some great photos
    seeing friends & family back home

lows:
    another year of unemployment
    having to sell my pride & joy project car
    not being able to afford to keep my 106 on the road (up for sale now :()
    suffering from depression stemming from isolation & poorness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Highs:
    • Our son being born and being his parent in general - we both wanted him all our lives and when he came into our lives it is more fun than we could ever imagine
    • Finding out that we were expecting again
    • My brother getting engaged to a lovely woman
    • Two of my inlaws are expecting (one of them is expecting triplets)
    • My yearly cancer checkup being OK (am a cancer survivor)
    Lows:
    • My mother in law being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer
    • Another relaitive is having a cancer scare (hopefully that is it) at the moment
    • My husband recently lost a cousin who was only 30 in a tragic accident
    • My husband has had a lot of ill health but thankfully it is being treated
    • My daddy needs help caring for my mother but refuses to get help - am really worried about my daddy but it is like talking to a wall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hate these threads but I'm bored so I'll play.

Highs:
    - Getting some incredible training done and having a lot of fun with running even though it all became a bit stagnant.
    - Battling against the odds to run in Barcelona back in March and then the 50 miles Dingle in September
    - Meeting some great new people and making some good friends.
    - Meeting a great guy
    - The mighty Leeds United getting promoted :pac:
    - Ups and downs in work but really I am happy enough in my job right now, hope to move upwards soon and hopefully early 2011 will bring good news on that.
    - I have to say it even though I don't really care that much but my sister having a baby last week. I'm the least excitable person in the world but it's nice to see her, my BIL and my mammy so happy. Am looking forward to playing with the little mite when he gets a little bigger.
    - January 3rd 2010, remember the date, we beat the team that we... :D Best. Day. Ever. Unforgettable.

Lows:
    - Family stuff and pay cuts meaning I couldn't make any trips to see my favourite boys at Elland Road
    - Family stuff :rolleyes:
    - Not really giving said guy a proper chance
    - Couple of really good friends emigrating recently. I miss them so very, very much and don't think they'll ever be back. :(
    - Getting ill in February and messing up all the hard work I put in for the Barcelona marathon and the fact I'm still battling it, even though my life is now about 98% back to normal I still have bad runs of feeling unwell.

Suppose it hasn't been that bad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Lows: Having my heart broken two weeks ago for nothing more then long distance... Absolutely devastated.

Highs: Every minute I had with him until then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Highs:
    *Finishing my two year masters, which was without doubt the toughest thing I have done, and getting a career out of it
    *Landing a job in an area I didn't think possible
    *Moving in with my boyfriend, and moving to London!

Lows:
    *The stress behind the masters and all of the hurdles to get it done
    *The move to London while it is not a complete low, there have been low times for me
    *The guilt of being away from family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Highs:
    *Moving in with my boyfriend, and moving to London!

Can't believe I met you just before you moved, not fair! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Highs:
    Being with my fabulous bf
    Changing jobs.
    Getting a big pay rise.
    Rebuilding my relationship with my baby sister.

Lows:
    My sisters brother got killed earlier this year in an accident.
    2 of my best friends moved abroad.
    Going back smoking:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Highs:
    Getting a job that I like
    Having our wedding reception and getting to see friends and family
    Getting a promotion to a job I like even more
    Making new friends in Ireland

Lows:
    Lots of family friends passed away, it is scaring me that my parents are starting to get to the age where their friends start going.
    My friends daughter was born prematurely and she is most likely not going to make it to Christmas.
    Missing my family and friends at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Highs :D
    - Going back to education
    - Having a job a job that I like
    - Moving in with my boyfriend
    - Moving into a different house with an open fire and bath.
    - My sister getting engaged.
    - Getting my gorgeous dog Alfie
    - Seeing my boyfriend happy playing music again

Lows :(
    - Seeing my boyfriend struggle during the weather/not been able to get to work.
    - Not travelling as much as I wanted to.
    - My mother finding out she has diabetes.
    - Having depression for a short while.
    - Being sick loads.
    - Being so stressed out and worried that I nearly broke down.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Highs:
    - Finishing my masters
    - Getting a job
    - Iron Maiden and Porcupine Tree gigs, both incredible live

Lows:
    - Having to go to Vincent's back in March for tests after fainting while running, it's bloody scary to have a cardiologist tell you he wants to do more tests to rule certain things out.
    - Being seriously broke for the vast majority of the year
    - Missing a planned Christmas night out with friends (who I haven't seen in months) tomorrow because they are still stuck in London
    - Getting injured 4 weeks before the Dublin marathon, and realising that I would either miss the race or go in very undertrained
    - January 3rd 2010, for the same reason as RQ put it as a high of 2010 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Highs
    None
    Lows
    Getting banned from the Musicals forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Highs
    Getting married to Himself
    Continuing with Masters

Lows
    My Mum being ill - wasn't at my wedding
    Boss that is removing most of the lovely people I work with
    Yet more weight put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Highs:

Hmm.
    Getting over that ex of mine that I was so heartbroken over (seriously WHY). And basically whoring myself around for a bit. Ha!

Moving to Germany (even if it was for only 3 weeks!)

Making lotsa moolah in the summer.

Lows:
    Failing 2 modules in college and having to repeat a bit of 2nd year...and return from Germany (lame!!)

Exhausted myself working 70ish hrs per week all summer.

Actually I had a really uneventful year. Quite boring. But was ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Highs:
    Being the first person in my family to ever get a degree :D
    Lows:
    The end of a 4 yr relationship :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Highs:
    Introducing the bf's son to the joys of self assembly by building a shed.
    Discovering that I could build a shed
    Realising how many people I worked with held me in good regard :)

Lows:
    Losing my job.
    Suffering the effects of working in a very damp office for 18 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Highs:
    Meeting some lovely boardsies who made my life in Dublin SO much better.
    Getting up the courage to go travelling alone. I will without a doubt return to South America
    Some people said absolutely lovely things about me and me being a good friend. Even friend's parents.
    Holidays to Oz in Jan and now back to live.
    Living in the same country as my best friend for the first time in 2 years.

Lows:
    My Nan dying (although it was a relief for her)
    Having to leave all my fantastic friends in Ireland.
    Being single for yet another year.
    Realising that the people who I considered friends from school don't seem to care at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Rowing across the Irish Sea from Arklow to Wales

You didn't so this with a girl from Arklow who used to work in Wicklow did you? I'm pretty sure she's done that a few times! Obv don't want to name her!

Highs:
    • Managing to get into Law in second year by tranferring from Arts, and managing to get a first 2 of my Law exams and an average of 65! :D
    • Being the first in my family (aka my parents) to pass first year first time round! and seeing how proud my parent were of me for managing such a turnaround from my less than impressive Leaving Cert
    • Getting more confident and making so many more friends than I ever thought I would be able to do
    • Getting accepted into the SPUR programme in college, something apparently not many 1st years manage to get into
    • Getting four jobs in the last 6 months after over a year of searching! And having two at a time for the most part
    • Being able to provide for myself and not having to put even more of a burden on my parents than I already had!
    • Succesfully managing to survive a year living away from home during college time! :D
    • My boyfriend managing to survive me for nearly four years! :) I can never thank him enough for that! he is just an amzing guy and I know how lucky I am!
    • Meeting up with friends from my childhood in Botswana and becoming really good friends with one of them

Lows:
    • Having my birthday completely ruined by my bitchy roomates who decided to blame even the most ridiculous things on me. What a year living with them was
    • Feeling my above confidence fall and having my moods switch back to depressed XxMCRxBabyxX who cries over the stupidest most ridiculous things
    • Constant fights with my parents which seem to have gotten more heated over the years (probably to do with above mood swings)
    • Not being able to spend as much time with my boyfriend or at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Highs:
    • Getting over someone I was borderline obsessed with.
    • Getting closer to old friends and making lots of new ones! :D Including a college friend who is one of my favourite people in the whole world, ever.
    • Getting the highest LC results in my school and subsequently getting into Trinity.
    • The relief when after just one Law lecture I knew I'd made the right choice. :D (I was really scared I wouldn't like it and was considering tranferring to English before I even started.)
    • Doing really well in an essay and being told by some of the most intimidatingly successful people ever that I have a lot of potential. :)
    • Realising I want to be a barrister.
    • Becoming more happy and confident in general. Realising that I could actually speak in front of people and argue a point with them.
    • Working up the courage to speak to my favourite lecturer and the happiness when he knew my name! :p The conversation was brilliant too.
    • Turning 18.

Lows:
    • My friend's boyfriend passed away after being in a car accident in June. She hasn't been the same since, I'm worried about her around Christmas especially. :(
    • Summer was awful.
    • My Irish Oral and the aftermath. Being completely convinced you've failed something that you're desperately relying on is not nice. Although of course it was just me overreacting as per usual :rolleyes:
    • Losing touch with people when everyone started to move off. Realising how hard it is to maintain friendships sometimes.
    • Being borderline obsessed with the guy mentioned above.

2010 was actually a pretty good year in retrospect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Highs
    -Taking control and working on overcoming a lot of health issues I have
    -Getting a first class honours in my degree
    -Having some of the best times of my life with my boyfriend
    -Winning best costume at a big party
    -Getting an amazing fur jacket on sale that I love so much :P

Lows
    -Getting dumped by the boy I loved
    -Having a lot of health issues
    -Skipping on a great opportunity because of depression
    -Friends growing apart
    -Pay cut

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Highs

Getting out of a really bad relationship
    Gaining confidence from said split
    Making new friends in college
    Getting closer to my best friend again after my break-up.

Lows

Going through a really bad time in relationship I was in, constant tears and depression.

My granny dying.

My best friend and I growing apart in the early part of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Highs

- Having an epiphany of sorts early this year which had a profound effect on my outlook on life/the universe/my self.

- Mental health is good, generally happier than I've been in years.

- A job that I love.

- Good health and fitness. Family and friends in good health too.

- An amazing, life changing holiday in August.

Lows

- A few pretty big disagreements with people and my boyfriend that were upsetting.

- Sometimes wish I had a larger, more reliable group of friends or even aquaintences.

- Poverty, struggling to pay bills and living in a horrible damp and freezing apartment.

Highs (again!)

- The lack of money and the freezing weather have toughened me up somewhat and I like to think I've become a stronger person from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Highs
    Taking up a new sport (me being someone who has always hated sport) and meeting a load of great people through it.

Picking the right subjects for Leaving Cert, I love all my classes, even though everyone said I was taking too many maths and science subjects!!

Getting the motivation to actually do things like study and join extra things like choir and tutoring younger years in maths. Last year you could hardly get me out of bed and dressed unless you paid me.

Winning a load of writing competitions at school :D

Quitting debating. The stress of that thing was unbelievable and such a waste of time!

Making enough money to go to Italy.

Lows.
    Realizing that most people really aren't good at heart and I shouldn't forgive them.

All my family and friends letting me down massively.

The whole of Transition year.

Sacrificing too much to please my parents and then finding out at the end of it I have nothing to show for it and they've taken everything from me. I'm half the person I was.

Wasn't a great year overall tbh :S

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Best -

* Getting my 1.1 honours Degree :D:D

* Being the first to get a degree of my siblings :D

* Getting the courage to get out of a shockingly bad relationship :)

* Meeting many new amazing friends (some from boards) :D

* Moving to Dublin and in with my pretty class cousin!

* Trying many new (all legal) things :D

* Going out every weekend bar 2 since May :D

* Getting better health wise!

* Being selfish and putting my needs and wants first and really enjoying myself for the first time in over 4 years!

* Realising all the mind fcuking my ex did was all lies and I am a pretty nice, decent 'normal' person and its ok to be selfish :D

Lows -

* Allowing myself to be in such a bad relationship and letting it affect my family :(

* Horrible summer at home which was partly my fault!?

* Realising how much of a PR!CKISH W@NKER (UNT my ex was and realising how much he changed me for the worse :mad:

* My bag being stolen

* Putting on over a stone weight (related to the going out too much so not too bad)

* Being too ill and affected by said relationship to perform better at exams or apply myself to go on to study more :(

While the lows were pretty fooking low some of the highs were savage, I will not miss you 2010; 2011 is my year :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Lows
    The end of an almost 6 yr relationship.
    Being stuck at home and completly broke for most of the summer.
    Getting diagnosed with PCOS.
    Getting appendicitis just after starting a new year in college, sick for ages afterwards and realising I'd missed too much to continue.
    My grandad falling on ice and breaking his elbow.

Highs
    Getting distinctions in all my childcare level 5 modules.
    Meeting love of my life in August, moving in together 2 weeks later and getting engaged in November :D

Overall the year wasnt looking great.. till August came around ;)
    Roll on 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lows: breaking up with the ex, drifting away is worse than a fight sometimes.
    Being sick for most of the year.and broke as a result of being on certs for months.

Highs: going to America in octover/november, had a ball, made loads of new friends.
    getting qualified as a massage therapist
    completing a short film directing course, acted on camera for the first time and directed my first scene, its fun :)
    Vegas, driving up the strip in a stretch hummer, rocking up to a nightclub and getting walked in past the queue as we had vip passes, tacky but so, so fun.
    Seeing and flying over the Grand Canyon, absolutely awe inspiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Highs:

- Getting a 1.1 Honours degree
    - Making a great friend with someone 10 years older than me
    - My sister slowly but surely getting over her eating disorder
    - Getting an amazing internship for the summer in Dublin
    - Meeting and making a fantastic friend through the internship and having some of the best nights of my life with her
    - (Initally) Being awarded a teaching assistantship in Spain
    - Being praised in university for my grades and personality
    - Meeting friends of friends who are really hot
    - Managing to actually save money from the internship for a good while
    - Losing a stone and a half without really trying
    - Drunkenly shifting the friend that I had a crush on for about 2 years.

Lows:

- Breaking up with my ex, it's been a pretty horrible last half of 2010
    - Losing friends of the ex because obviously their loyalties lie with him
    - Getting used to single life again when I'm a totally different person now, been really weird/difficult
    - Mam's arthritis getting worse, more pressure on me at home
    - Going to Spain and realising that it was the complete opposite of what I thought it was going to be and having to come home after two weeks
    - Being dicked around by people
    - Family stress
    - Having my age constantly pointed out to me. Feels like it's happened more this year than any other year. People constantly pointing out that I'm young and insinuating that therefore I mustn't have a clue about anything.
    - Not being able to get a job since I came back from Spain in September
    - Being dicked around by employers
    - Spending 48hrs on a trolley in Naas A&E and subsequently getting diagnosed with gallstones. In constant fear of them flaring up now.
    - Feeling totally lost and without any goals or aims because of everything that's happened since the end of the summer.

In summary: 1st half of 2010: Fairly good, 2nd half, fcuking ****. I usually never say this kind of crap but seriously, here is to a better 2011.

Advertisement