Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highs/lows of 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Well done OP, this is a really cool thread... :)

Highs:
    • Realising that I've changed a lot since secondary school thanks to college/working/meeting some very special people.
    • Finishing college and getting my degree (B. Sc. in Veterinary Nursing).
    • The day of my graduation.
    • The night of my graduation - I met my bf :D
    • I had my first (proper) kiss at the tender age of 22!
    • Getting to know my bf even if it was only through text because he's so far away.
    • Every second I've spent with my boyfriend since I met him (which hasn't been a lot tbh unfortunately)
    • Registering as a Veterinary Nurse
    • I absolutely loved working all summer in a vet clinic even though it was temporary.
    • Getting a letter a few weeks ago with BScVN RVN after my name, I was so proud of myself.
    • My cousin's wedding
    • Seeing my 17 year old brother and his girlfriend be so happy together at such a young age, I think they're going to last which is very rare at their age.
    • Seeing 2 of my absolute favourite bands live: 30 Seconds to Mars (Feb 26 at The O2) and Green Day (June 23 at Marlay Park)... Both of them were amazing and I would love to see them again!

Lows:
    • Watching my Gran slowly deteriorate. She's got Alzheimer's Dementia. We're slowly losing her to it and it's very very difficult to watch. We know she won't know us at all soon, it's already starting to happen. :(
    • College exams - I was so stressed.
    • Thinking that I wasn't going to get my degree.
    • Leaving Athlone. I was more upset leaving than I was when I arrived, I cried the whole way home. :(
    • Going on three interviews and getting none of the jobs forcing me to sign on.
    • The snow stopping me from seeing my boyfriend.
    • Being bitten by a cat in work.
    • Being on call from work, it's impossible to relax or sleep properly when you know you could get a call telling you to go to work in the middle of the night.
    • My poor doggy being diagnosed with cancer... Thankfully he's fine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Highs:

- Meeting my boyfriend in May
    - Making some really awesome new friends, particularly my housemates
    - Posting more on boards, becoming a mod and meeting tons of awesome people from here!
    - Making massive progress in overcoming depression and bulimia
    - Kicking lots of toxic people out of my life

Lows

- Dropping out of college twice
    - Ending up in casualty after doing something really stupid
    - The aftermath of ending up in casualty
    - Hurting many people early in the year as a result of my inability to be in any way happy

Overall it's been an okay year - better than 2009 anyway and the 2nd half was certainly more enjoyable :) Roll on 2011 which is gonna even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ooh this is a really good idea :D

Highs:
    Doing a skydive!
    Getting to see more of the world, namely Paris, Amsterdam, and a couple of places in England, and planning a trip to Berlin next month.
    Going to music festivals with my boyfriend.
    Having a great college semester and moving on to 2nd year.
    Finding the ideal house to rent this year with my friends.

Lows:
    My boss becoming very sick last March, he's still in the process of treatment.
    This semester being really tough, work-wise. Just about back into the swing of things now but may have summer repeats :(

2010 was pretty good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Highs:

- Only a recent one, but joining the local gym. Never realized that exercise could actually be fun!
    - A much needed holiday at the end of August to see my friend's brother getting married.
    - Becoming a lot closer to my mother.
    - Realizing that I can cook!

Lows:

- Health issues, few hospitalizations.
    - Putting my parents through absolute hell.
    - Seriously falling out with my brother, who used to be one of my best friends - we haven't been on speaking terms since August.
    - My favourite aunt being diagnosed with leukemia, lung cancer and some other form of cancer in February, and dying in August.
    - Seeing my mother, who cared for my aunt every day along with my aunt's daughter, react to her death, especially since it was so soon after one of the times I was hospitalized. So, so scary and heartbreaking.
    - Finding out that my mother's brother was also diagnosed with leukemia and prostate cancer, and her reaction.
    - Finding out that my mother's other sister has emphysema and has gone blind, and again, my mother's reaction to that. It's been a horrible year for her.
    - Seeing my grandmother being put into a home and become a totally different person. The poor pet is 94 and had two heart attacks last week, too.
    - Being told that I wasn't well enough to return to education.

Jaysus, I hope the highs list is twice as long as the lows list next year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Highs
    Seeing Michael Buble in concert and not only that but being so unbelievable close to the stage.

Lows
    The future that Ireland is promised. Making me so fearful. I have always wanted to have babies and now thanks to those two brainless pinnocihos that wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Highs
    • Mum finally getting a kidney transplant after years of dialysis and surgeries.
    • Graduating from college.
    • Going to America for the summer. First time living by myself.
    • Doing a skydive! Always wanted to do one.
    • Meeting Leonardo Di Caprio. *swoon*
    • Realising, through travelling and living abroad, that I'm a pretty capable person and don't take crap from people lightly.
    Lows
    • Being in the States when mum got her transplant and not being able to be there for her before the surgery. Extremely scary.
    • Entering that horrible post-college crisis where I try to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.
    Overall, it's been a very good year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I remember replying to this thread this time last year, felt a bit 'rutted' in life at the time and 2009 had been a non-eventful year. Happy to report 2010 has been a year full of wonderful change :)

Highs
    - Getting my first new car (which I've left back in Ireland) I miss her!
    - Passing my driving test first time! What a high, won't ever forget that moment
    - Work trip to Vegas - the best TV project I've ever produced and the most mindblowing fun I've had in years! Mace some lovely new friends too
    - Leaving do at work - I was quite close with all my colleagues and we all headed down to Kilkenny for a weekend of absolute carnage. I still smile when I think about it! They made me feel so special too :)
    - Leaving my life behind and moving to Canada, with no contacts and no guarantees. Best leap of faith I've ever made!
    - Landing work at a big TV station over here which won't do any harm on my CV down the line

Lows
    Losing my oldest friend over an utterly trivial matter. I thought we were beyond that but the slow realization that maybe we've outgrown each other still hurts a little. I miss her. :(
    - First few months of unemployment in Canada. Realising I'm not really sure who I am when I'm not in career mode for 8 hours a day was a little daunting. Thankfully it ended after two months
    - The constant ache for family and friends, I miss everyone so much!
    - Bailout, of course. It's sort of put a spin on my plans for the next few years and not sure when I'll be coming home now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

- January 3rd 2010, for the same reason as RQ put it as a high of 2010 :pac:

:D

Hopefully this time next year mine will read similar with another promotion and another massive FA Cup victory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Miami Snow

Highs:
    1. Doing well in my exams
    2. Getting a work placement
    3. Going on holiday during the summer
    4. Catching up with some old friends
    5. Enjoying the summer with my boyfriend

Lows:
    1. My boyfriend moving to Galway
    2. Trying to balance social life with studies
    3. Watching the person I love go through some rough times =(
    4. Falling out with a family member

Here's to a really great 2011, with hopefully a bit more money!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Highs:

-Finally getting to be with girl of my dreams
    -Learning how to drive
    -Graduating from University

Lows:

-After a mostly depressing college life, things only picking up towards the end (Why couldn't it happen earlier! Should have been born four years later!)
    -Losing my Nana
    -Not getting any job interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Highs
    -First christmas away from home realiseing i can make it on my own
    -Getting over an ex who broke my heart...which took me way more than a year to recover from!
    -Meeting and living with some great lads while travelling who i know will be friends for life!
    -Coming home after 17 months away!
    -Passing my truck licence and getting my electrician papers.
    -Spending an unreal 6 months driving trucks around america
    -Meeting a great girl while travelling.
    -Coming home for this christmas...supriseing my friends and family.
    -Decideing what to do in 2011

Lows
    -Having to break up with the girl i meet above.
    -My granny dyeing while i was away
    -Coming home realiseing im still on my own...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Highs:

Going on holidays to Spain
    Meeting relatives in England
    Junior Cert results night ;)
    Having my first kiss at the above :D
    Making lots of new friends
    Getting a summer job

Lows:
    Doing bad in a piano exam
    Realising who my real friends are
    My cousin being sick

Overall a good year :D Roll on 2011!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Highs:
    - Passing my First Year exams with a 2.2 :)
    - Becoming friends with an amazing lady who changed my opinion on many things :)
    - Getting closure on an ex by dating him again and realising this time that he was no good for me!
    - Meeting my boyfriend who is an absolute dote.
    - Moving to Cork full time :)
    - Figuring out that my mental health has to be looked after, regardless of whats going on, and getting myself fixed.

Lows:
    - Getting diagnosed with depression
    - The turmoil of men throughout the year
    - My Nan getting diagnosed with cancer
    - Exam stress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

2010... some year for one year!

Highs

-
    Graduating with a 1H in my MA and finally handing in that thesis!
    - Being offered Phd (long term ambition)
    - Proving that I can motivate myself by going to the gym
    - Getting a job offer for a teaching position in the Middle East
    - Becoming a more independent and confident person after breaking up with my longterm boyfriend.
    - Making some AMAZING new friends and having some AMAZING times with the old ones too.
    - Spending quality time with my grandparents and appreciating them more. They're amazing.

The following two sound so fickle!
    - Scoring the most gorgeous guy I have ever seen in my life and hearing that he likes me back.
    - Tommy Bowe tweeting me ;)

Lows

- The mind games and manipulation I have endured all year after breaking up with my ex in February.
    - Having my heartbroken by the first guy I fall for after that relationship.
    - Being an unemployed graduate worrying about the future.
    - Having to leave Cork to move away. Gonna miss so many people. :(

Let's see where 2011 goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

High
    - Tommy Bowe tweeting me ;)
    That is a pretty class high :D:D:D:D(really hope he never lurks here :o:o:o :P :P :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

High: My masters graduation.

Low: Going to it alone .:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Highs
    My Son being born
    Getting our own home in a great area for a lot less than we can afford.

Lows
    Looking after a newborn while having Post Natal Depression
    The stress of moving house with a baby in tow.
    Still grieving for my brother who is a heroin addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

highs of 2010

starting my PGDE...always wanted to be a teacher!!
    realising on my first day of teaching practice that i was where i am supposed to be
    leaving a company for the final time never to return again
    having the best shag of my life with a stranger in killarney in May :)
    my best friends having a baby girl
    hearing Josh Ritter sing "Kathleen" live

lows of 2010

my mom being sick a lot this year
    telling my friend of 8 years that i love him and getting no love in return :(
    turning 31 single.....
    realising who my real friends are
    being very lonely when all my friends are with someone this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Highs
    Visiting my OH in Seattle in January
    Starting paid work placement in April
    Starting my final year of college
    Securing the maintenance grant for my final year, relief after so much hassle

Lows
    Leaving my OH at the airport in January, not knowng when we'll next see each other
    Failing an exam and having to repeat it in August
    Missing my OH but hopefully only for 8 more months of next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Highs:

- Some of my colleagues finally seeing how difficult my supervisor makes my work life, and feeling like I'm not on my own (or losing my mind) anymore.
    - Getting more confident driving and being more independent as a result.
    - Joining a social committee and having some great weekends away and social events with people who're becoming good friends.
    - Meeting some people through an informal writing group at the beginning of the year. Although the group fell apart after a few months, it was still lovely to meet them.
    - Joining a gym and losing 3 stone between July and October. Even though things slipped a bit in November and I haven't been back in about 6 weeks I've managed to maintain the changes pretty much. :D
    - Finally getting the courage to make an appointment with a recruitment agency. It sounds silly, but I've been terrified that my current job will find out, but I actually don't care anymore.
    - Finally realising that I'm worth more than other people think and am entitled to be happy, and starting to work towards that.

Lows:

- Struggling to look on the positive side - 2010 hasn't been the best of years. I feel like every time I take a step forward I get shoved three steps back.
    - Crashing my car, it's only been 3 days but I already feel isolated and stranded at home.
    - Still not having direction. There are so many things I need to change that it's daunting even to work out what to change first.
    - Having a pretty challenging time with a good friend - I think things have levelled out, but I'm still not sure.
    - Every plan I made falling through all year.

Roll on 2011, it's going to be a better year because I'm going to make it a better year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Highs:

Finishing my masters and getting a 1.1. I did lousy in my undergraduate, so this was to prove that I wasn't stupid
    Brining my OH camping to France. It was freezing, wet and stormy and he loved it (deal breaker)
    Company being taken over, and although some were being let go, I am not
    Finally making a decision as to what I want to do with my life
    Gaining some great friends as a result of my course
    Deciding with my OH to think about trying for a baby next year

Lows:
    People being let go at my company at the moment. Its really sad and upsetting
    Spending a lot of the year depressed, stressed and teary (consequently causing my OH a lot of worry).
    The budget (can't afford to lose any money)
    Not losing any weight
    Not making the time to stay in touch with some old friends.

On the whole the highs more then made up for the lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

is there something in the air this year? because it seems quite a number of people have really suffered alot this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

High's
    - completing my Honours Degree
    -Moving in with my OH
    -getting work down in dub
    -Getting my new car

Low's
    - not getting work in my field
    - not going on any hols as had too many weddings to go to and none of them mine
    -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

is there something in the air this year? because it seems quite a number of people have really suffered alot this year :(

I was thinking the same thing...it was a bad auld year for a lot of people but things can only get better, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Highs:
    - Buying a lovely house with my boyfriend
    - Rescuing two wild kittens and turning them into very happy, spoiled pets!
    - Getting over my obsession with dieting
    - Becoming a more confident driver, driving in Dublin City at rush hour toughened me up!
    - Getting my diploma and getting closer to my degree!

Lows:
    - Boyfriend's uncle dying of a mystery illness, months after the death of his father.
    - Regaining some weight as a result of giving up dieting, worth it IMO
    - Work being more difficult with serious cutbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Pembily wrote: »
    That is a pretty class high :D:D:D:D(really hope he never lurks here :o:o:o :P :P :P

I walked into the kitchen at work one day and he was standing there talking to the boss' son... Not a big rugby fan so took me a couple of mins to realise who he was lol.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Lows
    Started Jan 1st 2010 by being dumped (granted my own fault) and being very very swiftly replaced!
    Battleing on with a career that was destroying me mentally and physically.
    Making an ass of myself a few too many times whilst over indulging.
    Deciding to do something incredibly stupid and luckily too drunk to do properly and finished up looking like a fool again.
    Being diagnosed with depression.

Highs
    Leaving job.
    Dealing with depression
    Continuing on with college course and doing quite well.
    Realising I didn't need money to be happy.
    Running Dublin Marathon.
    Survived Christmas without starting a fight with siblings or father
    Refused to rise to siblings attempt to start a fight
    Ate loads of sambo's.
    Realised that a few people hold me in high regard and actually respect what i have to say.
    Met the nicest person on the Island of Ireland and learned the true value of the expression it's nice to be nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

HIGHS!
    Newer, broader circle of friends
    Trip to Berlin
    Good year at college
    Securing internship
    Seeing Jens Lekman in Whelan's
    Quitting my job
    21st party

LOWS
    Boyfriend's depression make our relationship very hard
    Boyfriend subsequently breaking up with me
    Arguing with my mam loads (man I want to move out!)
    Growing apart from some friends. But hey, I'm not gonna beg anyone to be my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing...it was a bad auld year for a lot of people but things can only get better, right?

certainly hope so! we just have to hold our heads high and march on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Lows:
    Spent most of the year feeling unhappy because I was unhappy in my relationship that I was in, and blamed myself. Finally broke up with him in November and have been happy every since :)

Highs:
    Leaving work to go back to uni & get a degree :)
    Getting to know one of the girls on my course really well, we bonded instantly & she's already one of my closest friends. It's funny how people click!
    Clicking with a guy off the internet :) have only known him since Thursday but I already can't imagine him not being in my life. Even better was clicking with him in person yesterday! For the first time in my life I am actually happy being single, then BANG!

Advertisement