Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Here in north west Clare it is a beautiful sunny, crisp day. Temp 2.1. Have been watching the showers come down through Mayo & Galway and they either stay out to sea and travel down to Kerry or disappear as soon as they reach Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just heard from OH.. Mountcharles bypass almost impassable beacuse of stranded Trucks.. gritter there at the minute trying to give them grip. Another artic stuck in Dunkineely and another at Brenter. Chaos out there this morning.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just heard from OH.. Mountcharles bypass almost impassable beacuse of stranded Trucks.. gritter there at the minute trying to give them grip. Another artic stuck in Dunkineely and another at Brenter. Chaos out there this morning.:eek:

That's cos people don't know how to drive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Bugger. Come to Dublin, goddammit(the snow i mean!:D)

Were you not one of the moanier people around here, something about the snow making life harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

R252 closed at Fintown as well, thats my route home so looks like I'll be stuck here for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

That's cos people don't know how to drive in it.

Or the ice and snow means that road now has a low coefficient of friction and the tyres can't find and purchase on it.

Or you know, "people don't know how to drive on it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

I'm supposed to travel to ballina tonight for mums retirement do. Is it that bad?? Would I make it?

No I wouldnt attempt to drive to Ballina unless absolutely necessary, it is coming down really heavy here now, with breaks for 15-20mins and then blizzard conditions again, as I said already, cars and trucks are getting stuck on the National primary route (N5) so the national secondary roads into ballina are going to be even worse!

Give her a phone call instead, I'm sure she will understand and arrange to bring her out for Dinner in the "Ice House" restaurant the next time your down! Better to be safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee got a fair pasting this morning per the live webcams from Kerry County Council's website

webcam_ashe.asp
    webcam_rathass.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

and people who dont know how to drive on snow shouldnt be out in it :mad:

and OH drove to sligo to work this morning, hope she gets home

Given this comment above, you let your OH out in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

snowing very heavy in foxford showers are getting heavier and more frequent .its a whiteout out there at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

ongarboy wrote: »
    Tralee got a fair pasting this morning per the live webcams from Kerry County Council's website

webcam_ashe.asp
    webcam_rathass.asp

great example of why we wanted the single NATIONAL THREAD! I am in Dublin, but I want to see Tralee too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

ongarboy wrote: »

webcam_ashe.asp
    webcam_rathass.asp

Nice the 2nd web cam is only up the road from me never knew they had one. Had blizzard like snow for about 20min a few min ago again in Tralee Co Kerry never seen snow so heavy before:cool:

hmmm my 11.45 shower is late !... jeez.. timetables !;)

irish1967 wrote: »
    hmmm my 11.45 shower is late !... jeez.. timetables !;)

Could be stuck in traffic?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

ME:
    Bitterly cold today, with a risk of icy conditions and showers of hail and snow, the showers mainly in Ulster, Connacht and west Munster during the day, but becoming more widespread this evening, with a risk of prolonged falls in many areas, leading to fresh accumulations.

Any guesses as to how many inches of snow will fall in the east?

Could be stuck in traffic?? :D
    Ah its ok.. its here now... snowing heavily again Donegal Town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

M.T. Cranium vs. Weathercheck

"Canadian Cyclone" takes on "Rain Man"

IN
    "THE SNOWDOWN"

There can only be one winner here!
    And we'll all know by tomorrow

malman wrote: »
    ME:

Any guesses as to how many inches of snow will fall in the east?

Nobody has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There was a good three inches of snow on the car this morning... and a few more good snow showers. It's getting all too easy. :pac:

Roads around here are not bad to drive on at the moment as it is fresh, dry powdery snow without any ice underneath it, so easy to grip, that will change if it freezes - it will be lethal.

Biggest danger on the roads around here are idiot drivers.

dacogawa wrote: »

IN

"THE SNOWDOWN"

PMSL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Just checked out the HIRLAM model here:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Click Nedbor...

Looking good for Cork for the weekend :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

dacogawa wrote: »

IN
    "THE SNOWDOWN"

Nooooooooooo, i do not want to be known as mild man! And i am not saying MT is incorrect, i base my thoughts on the model outputs and they will change with such.

Therefore i hope i lose this so called 'Snowdown' !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is it pretty unlikely now that cork will get any significant snow? Judging bt what the eagle apparently said on 96fm this morning we're in for balmy weather (ok slight exaggeration!) but you know what I mean!!

Should have known really that all those amazing charts would never come to pass in the real world!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Nooooooooooo, i do not want to be known as mild man! And i am not saying MT is incorrect, i base my thoughts on the model outputs and they will change with such.

you hope you lose, stand up for your predictions man :D

leahyl wrote: »
    Is it pretty unlikely now that cork will get any significant snow? Judging bt what the eagle apparently said on 96fm this morning we're in for balmy weather (ok slight exaggeration!) but you know what I mean!!

Should have known really that all those amazing charts would never come to pass in the real world!:(

It's changing all the time. They(ME), are probably doing as much guesswork on this as we are!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The loser has to eat yellow snow. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

the weather channel predicts theres a 50-60% chance it will start snowing here in meath around 4pm today :rolleyes:, and will keep going til at least 11pm tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Hows the isle of man holding up?

The streamer going into North Wales looks peachy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's changing all the time. They(ME), are probably doing as much guesswork on this as we are!?

Yes I know I keep telling myself that but like even MT in his chart of predicted snowfall for each region didn't even mention the south as such - like he divided it into east and west munster but like cork city isn't really either of those!! Its just south!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Nooooo! lost the signal on sky and cant get near the dish to clean it away, snowing heavy here again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement