Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thurman

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Sorry now to bud if you read the title this is how to improve the forum not keep questioning the rules
    but isnt questioning of the rules and seeing if there is a better way not an avenue to improving something? otherwise we'd all still be living in caves or thinking the world was flat. questionoing the established rule set is a valid form of feedback last time i checked. it may not be in your view but it is in a lot of other peoples.
    As for you you paying 100 and never using doesn't mean you get 100 and as the rules state that if you accept a lower offer that becomes the new asking so in affect

im aware its the rules, I'm asking if this should be the case, you believe it does, others agree with you. I on the other hand do not believe it should be so. So i guess we'll have to disagree on that matter. the rulese here have come about after many tweeks, I'm asking if this particular one needs further tweeking. you call it a question i call it constructive criticism which is a valid form of feedback.

you accepting the next offer is profiteering
    actually the definition of profiteering is the making excess profits on goods in short supply through manupliation of price. as there was no manipulation of price ie i sell it above the current advertised selling price as set down by the owner, in this case me and as there is a ready supplie ire through retailers then i cant by definition be profiteering.
    I may be in breach of the established rules as laid down by this site, but then my question comes into play again. does this single rule need tweeking? some of you believe no, some yes. I've raised the questuions its up to the mods to discuss it and come back with a response. its not for you to decide if i can or can not ask the question or to even invalidate the question because its not the "ye olde ask questions thread"
    but I'd they came so close together two weeks apart I think you said then ya that's really close so I find your statement bizarre

i think a two week gap of no activity on an item is a long period considering items sell within hours of being put up on this site.

i think we'll just have to agree to disagree here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I think we can definatley agree to disagree.:D
    But just in relation to you saying Im deciding things Im not I was just mentioning the rules, so it was boards who decided that.
    I know what profiteering means but boards have also outlined there definition too, and I was stating theirs.
    I'm not against you as I dont see two sides of the fence here ( we are two users with different views):D
    As you said some people see changes needed I think we have all the tools to do it right ourselves and that is what I meant by my statement that only we can make it better kind of like the tidy towns thing you know:) and as this is a forum how can boards know what to do if we dont discuss things from all sides if they changed everything to suit everyone everytime this place would get very confusing.:)
    Now I can understand we want to make improvements but the whole thing here on adverts is that if you settle for a lower price with someone and they fall through then that is your new asking as its only fair you as the OP have the right to refuse his offer in the 1st place if you deem it too low, and as i said reverse the roles you wanted something someone had that someone had agreed to sell two weeks later that guy pulls out are you gonna pay full asking or are you gonna pay what the other guy was paying?
    I understand at the time you were probably frustrated over the guys pulling out but just look at it from all angles.
    On a different note I dont think I have ever had my name mentioned in the user feedback thread as a good buyer:mad: and as I have stated I have been buying off boards for over 2 years so how do you know if im a good buyer :confused:that thread seems to be full of this is a good seller or bad buyer none of the good buyer or bad selller -maybe one or two of each but not many (cos I personally wont offer on something and head to pms with a guy arrange meet ups and then not have the dignity to respond its just bad practice, as I stated earlier in the past 12 months or so I have bid on items agreed sales headed to pms to have no response and this is from mixed people here one of these a very regurlar poster).
    Now I could go and head over to the feedback thread and name and shame these people but why I just wont deal with these people again and yes as a member I should inform the community about these people but on the other hand none of the dozens of people I have dealt with have ever named me either.
    So here begins bad practice from myself also:o but I dont feel the need to go and change the forum rules to suit myself. The rules state If your gonna sell it here its here only but what about forcing people to sell stuff that they change their mind about, when I first started using here a guy posted a joblot of small things and I offered asking on it but he got other offers on stuff if he split so he decided too as he was making a profit but I reported it and got everything but how would you feel as the Op? or as the buyer? I still got everthing I wanted but there was a few users upset that I got the bits and pieces and the OP lost money so who wins there? Ive learned from this experience and thats all I was stating to you as the user 'be more specific' in your adds.:)
    I'm not telling you what to do just trying to tell the same story from another angle so that an informed decision can be made for everyone:)

@sharpy I guess a lesson is learned then, not to accept a price too low unless your assured of the sale ie someone with good feedback etc. but like you've said some folks dont leave feedback especially about someone buying that pays on time and collects on time. that could be used as an indication though, ie no one posted anything bad, youve been involved in a lot of purchases ergo youre a good buyer. but some may not make that leap i guess. I'll tell ya what, if i ever sell you anything I'll give you glowing praise :D

i guess the rules in place now have evolved though years of trial and error where as i'm here only a few weeks, this is my first attempetd sale and its fallen through twice so from my view based on my experience the lower price rule sucks. But i can see the flip side, i mean if i was buying something and soneones deal fell through like you and inari have said i wouldnt offer more so i guess that rule makes sense. it more a rule to add clarity to the price and not a dictation of the price. should have thought about that.

i think its unfortunat that we cant use adverts.ie because at least there is a feedback system built in , so buyers and sellers can leave it and are reminded afer a transaction is completed. so its something i always do. even here I've been involved in 2 purchases, one completed one not as i'm just waiting to collect, in the completed case i've left feed back on the seller, and will do the same when i collect the last item as this guy has been very flexible agreeing to hold an item til i return from holiday, not sure if anyone will leave for me though.

i guess you live and learn. dont accept a price you're not happy with even for a quick sale. and check out the guys history

Thats all I was trying to say buddy
    I have been burned aswell but it can go both ways
    I once asked on this thread could it be like adverts or ebay or facebook and have a like dislike type button or ratio even. rather than have a feedback thread to go through have link on someones profile to the like/dislike/feedback type thing. same we can thank a post can we thank a poster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

The main thing that needs to be done here is to figure out a way to stop the time wasters / tyre kickers / pains in the backside we figure out some way of doing this and it sorts everything
    But the only way to do this is if everyone sticks together and refuse to deal with them as the mods hands are tied to a certain code of conduct within boards.ie
    This is why we need the airsoft adverts section locked kick out the time wasters and we have a good site with the other rules that are in place
    I myself have pulled out of a couple of deals over the years but Ive never arranged to meet someone and never shown up as ive had this happen to me 4 or 5 times and it does drive you mad
    As for the double bumping or not adding the fps this is a way to get a free bump as the mod will post on thread and you get moved up the line If there is no fps lock the thread If they double bump within 24 hours lock the thread for 24 hours If they place a for sale ad then a wanted ad lock all their threads for 24 to 48 hours this should stop it from happening and make these people follow the rules

• Advertisement

Ok then when we get rid of the windowlickers Ill name and shame the regurlar posters who have totally blanked posts and pms yet they can still post here reguraly and seem like an upstanding member of our community.

Ok then when we get rid of the windowlickers Ill name and shame the regurlar posters who have totally blanked posts and pms yet they can still post here reguraly and seem like an upstanding member of our community.
    There is times when using boards.ie on your phone and even on your computer that you dont get an alert to say you have a new post or pm that was the old boards the new one seems to be working much better so far again this is not the case for everyone of the posts but some of them

I understand that as it has happened once or twice to me but the one Im on about in particular I have contacted more than once and bumped his thread up a few times questioning this and I am not the only one so I would love to give people the bvenefit of the doubt but sometimes you have to admit defeat and realise this guy is a punk

I understand that as it has happened once or twice to me but the one Im on about in particular I have contacted more than once and bumped his thread up a few times questioning this and I am not the only one so I would love to give people the bvenefit of the doubt but sometimes you have to admit defeat and realise this guy is a punk
    Again if no contact with the seller for say 3 days lock the thread until they contact a mod as we can all be busy or away if you have a thread up for a long time

again lesson learned and ill take that on board and move forward with it

• Advertisement

I've seen a few threads where people have offered asking and nothing from the op or they've asked for pics or what not and the same has happened. I guess we should maybe report this if we encounter it and have them locked or maybe have a mod email the op, I think vbulletin allows a mod email a user from the moderator control panel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Guys, thanks for all this feedback, it really is good to hear all sides of this from both new and experienced users.

I think this is possibly the best advice posted so far on the matter:
    Also I would have 3 prices in mind for the item I was selling.
    • My asking price. This would include wiggle room for negotiations.
    • The price I hope to get. This would be what I considered to be a fair price for the item I am selling, given its condition, age etc.
    • My rock bottom price. The least amount I would be prepared to accept for this item. If I am bargained to this point, this will be my cutoff.

Basically, if you're not happy to sell to EVERYONE at a certain price then hold your ground and don't drop it.

As for timewasters, this is covered in the rules here:
    Steve wrote: »
    Honour your commitment to buy or sell.

As a Buyer, you are committed:
    • To honour your commitment to buy or sell (continuous retractions from accepted offers may result in account suspension).

When you see or are subject to breaches of this rule, please report it to us and we will investigate it. We can't and don't read every post on every thread, we rely on the community to bring it to our attention.
    thurman wrote: »
    Can I ask why boards and not adverts is used? Is it a legal thing or just the "no knives" thing of adverts that prevents it?
    Primarily because it violates the adverts.ie 'no weapons' rule. Similarly there are forums on boards for archery equipment and real steel firearms.

Also, if, as you said, you've used adverts.ie, you'll already know that the exact same rules on asking price apply there. :)

Again, thanks to all for the feedback, that's what the thread is for and we take it all on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭onedowg

To improve this forum you need to make an selection of ads in mobile website. As for now you can see is it for trade, wanted, sale ad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

onedowg wrote: »
    To improve this forum you need to make an selection of ads in mobile website. As for now you can see is it for trade, wanted, sale ad.
    Not sure what you mean there..

Do you mean you want to select only [for sale] ads or whatever like you can do in the full version of boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

onedowg wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean there..

Do you mean you want to select only [for sale] ads or whatever like you can do in the full version of boards?
    I thinks he means when viewing boards on a mobile device you only see threads as say gbb ,glock ,1911 ,or m4 or AK ,not gbb for sale or wanted or to trade its a pain having to read every new thread just to find the basic thread info ,you don't even get access to the report icon when on certain mobile devices.

We can't even filter themobipe ads to find what we are looking for. Sure you can do a search but not like on the pc version where you can place filters in.

Gatling wrote: »
    I thinks he means when viewing boards on a mobile device you only see threads as say gbb ,glock ,1911 ,or m4 or AK ,not gbb for sale or wanted or to trade its a pain having to read every new thread just to find the basic thread info ,you don't even get access to the report icon when on certain mobile devices.
    Ah, OK, I get you now.

The prefixes work on m.boards.ie but not on touch.boards.ie.

It's not something I have any control over as it's a site dev issue.

I've asked about it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79900114&postcount=258
    We can't even filter themobipe ads to find what we are looking for. Sure you can do a search but not like on the pc version where you can place filters in.

As above, this is a site dev issue, feel free to ask in the site development forum if they've any plans to improve the UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thanks Steve ,never thought about that seriously have to explore boards.ie outside of the airsoft forum ,

How come the MOD for another part of boards didnt get a warning for asking for a pm here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056725579 ?? if it was anyone else they would have got a warning this is not the first time ive seen MODs from other parts of boards breaking the rules and nothing being said :eek:

grapeape wrote: »
    How come the MOD for another part of boards didnt get a warning for asking for a pm here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056725579 ?? if it was anyone else they would have got a warning this is not the first time ive seen MODs from other parts of boards breaking the rules and nothing being said :eek:
    Post moved from rules questions to feedback..

Personally, I don't think that post warranted more action than it received. If you have some examples of what you are talking about then feel free to send them on and I'll take a look. :)

• Advertisement

Post moved from rules questions to feedback..

Personally, I don't think that post warranted more action than it received. If you have some examples of what you are talking about then feel free to send them on and I'll take a look. :)
    You answered my question there steve ill leave it at that thanks for your time (sorry i posted it on the wrong thread )

That seems too easy. I'm interested in how you interpreted my answer...?

That seems too easy. I'm interested in how you interpreted my answer...?
    I asked a question you gave me an answer its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 19,016 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hey,
    In your guidelines on using Paypal as a method of buying items, it is stated...

"Use PayPal
    While there is a charge for the usage of PayPal, it provides a user-friendly interface between you and your credit card company, and is a welcome alternative to giving your credit card number to the seller! In the event of a problem, PayPal can make use of the fraud protection system of your credit card company and get your money back. We recommend that you get a name and landline number on the off chance that a dispute arises."

What should also be highlighted for posters here is that if you send a payment marked as a "gift" Paypal may decline to get involved.

The reason the seller may request this is because less fees are payable that way.

However, Paypal deem the transaction to be one of a private nature and whilst they did get involved once some time ago, I am currently liasing with them requesting that they intervene in an attempt to recover monies paid to MurtB32, about whom I will also be posting in the "feedback" thread. They have said however their previous assistance was "out of courtesy" and that strictly speaking, they are not permitted to get involved.

I just thought I'd bring that to your attention.

everlast75 wrote: »
    hey,
    In your guidelines on using Paypal as a method of buying items, it is stated...

"Use PayPal
    While there is a charge for the usage of PayPal, it provides a user-friendly interface between you and your credit card company, and is a welcome alternative to giving your credit card number to the seller! In the event of a problem, PayPal can make use of the fraud protection system of your credit card company and get your money back. We recommend that you get a name and landline number on the off chance that a dispute arises."

What should also be highlighted for posters here is that if you send a payment marked as a "gift" Paypal may decline to get involved.

The reason the seller may request this is because less fees are payable that way.

However, Paypal deem the transaction to be one of a private nature and whilst they did get involved once some time ago, I am currently liasing with them requesting that they intervene in an attempt to recover monies paid to MurtB32, about whom I will also be posting in the "feedback" thread. They have said however their previous assistance was "out of courtesy" and that strictly speaking, they are not permitted to get involved.

You will have an address through the paypal account type it into the on line phonebook you might be lucky and get a landline number that you can call this worked for me in the past hopefully it will work for you

grapeape wrote: »
    You will have an address through the paypal account type it into the on line phonebook you might be lucky and get a landline number that you can call this worked for me in the past hopefully it will work for you

Thanks for that, however, there doesn't appear to be any address attached or visible to his paypal account :confused:

Fingers crossed paypal pull through for me on it..

everlast75 wrote: »

Good point there - I've not used paypal a whole lot so didn't know about this.
    I'll add it to the guidelines.
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback. :)

Guidelines amended, thanks again.

Can you let me know if I worded that right seeing as you guys have used it more than me? :)

Guidelines amended, thanks again.

Can you let me know if I worded that right seeing as you guys have used it more than me? :)

Perfect, thanks Steve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Postage why is it such an issue, I live in the arsehole of nowere and I can get to a post office. I do think that it is up to the person buying the item If he or she wants to travel to inspect it, Or pay for postage be it reg or normal, Maybe the seller should have the option on insisting on reg post but that can be agreed on thread , If you won't post it you should not be able to sell it here, As for things getting damaged if the buyer pays for reg post there is insurance on it, And as for big items M99's M82's etc the seller can explain that it might have to be broken down to post it, Thats my two bobs worth lol

Advertisement