Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Postage why is it such an issue, I live in the arsehole of nowere and I can get to a post office. I do think that it is up to the person buying the item If he or she wants to travel to inspect it, Or pay for postage be it reg or normal, Maybe the seller should have the option on insisting on reg post but that can be agreed on thread , If you won't post it you should not be able to sell it here, As for things getting damaged if the buyer pays for reg post there is insurance on it, And as for big items M99's M82's etc the seller can explain that it might have to be broken down to post it, Thats my two bobs worth lol
    Ive sent and received loads of items through the post i dont see a problem with it if its something big ill only send reg post but the likes of small cheap items there is not much point as postage would be more than the item. I also find it very annoying when people wont post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Postage why is it such an issue, I live in the arsehole of nowere and I can get to a post office. I do think that it is up to the person buying the item If he or she wants to travel to inspect it, Or pay for postage be it reg or normal, Maybe the seller should have the option on insisting on reg post but that can be agreed on thread , If you won't post it you should not be able to sell it here, As for things getting damaged if the buyer pays for reg post there is insurance on it, And as for big items M99's M82's etc the seller can explain that it might have to be broken down to post it, Thats my two bobs worth lol

My 2 cents on postage:

I don't think that folks should be banned from selling because they can't/won't post, and I can understand their reasons.

Personally I only buy on the forum at present and while I don't mind buying new items via post from the retailers I would only buy 2nd hand items in person.

If I offered something for sale I would like the buyer to inspect it before parting with their cash to ensure that they were happy with the item. I would possibly make an exception for small items.

Also I don't drive, I work 5 days a week from around 06:45 to 16:00-17:00 and my job is around 10 miles from my home, so 2 busses each day both into and home from work. So my options would be to only be able to post items on a Saturday, or bring the item on two busses into work and 1 bus back into town in the evening and try and make it to the GPO to post. I am sorry, but this is way too much hassle AFAIAC. So for the above reasons, I would be a "collection only" seller and I don't think I or others like me should be blocked from selling on the forum because of this.

By no means should anyone be "banned" for not posting but the annoying part is they say ok ill find out the price of postage then 3 days later they say oh i dont want to post would a set up like adverts be able to be put in place
    Collection
    Delivery
    One thing people should be made do is post pictures of what they are selling/trading no picture no ad and none of this pictures up later or ill post pictures if there is interest that bugs me if your taking the time to place an ad have the pictures ready
    Another thing is not posting asking prices/fps just lock the thread until they pm a mod to get it open again and post the info required

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭tonycombat

This may been mentioned before, seems to work well for the cycling adverts forum.
    A Trades Thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054994925

Just put up what you have & what you'd like to swap it for.
    Maybe a set template would be the way to do it.
    i.e.

Looking to trade: M4, comes with.........

Wanted: Famas

May help
    Thanks for looking

Regards
    TC

Again i ask the question is it one rule for MODs and another for the rest of us ?????
    This guy was banned for a week for Profiteering http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056747381 and rightly so

Then you have a MOD doing the same thing here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056747215 and nothing is done about it :eek:
    Before the Mod edited the first post at 17:17 today it was up as €50 posted or €40 collected amazing how it was edited 6 minutes after i posted my question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

grapeape wrote: »
    Again i ask the question is it one rule for MODs and another for the rest of us ?????
    This guy was banned for a week for Profiteering http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056747381 and rightly so

Then you have a MOD doing the same thing here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056747215 and nothing is done about it :eek:
    Profiteering:
    What is Profiteering?
    Profiteering is selling an item above RRP because it's scarce in supply and / or in high demand and is not permitted.

If you believe someone is profiteering then please report the post and include a link to where the exact same item can normally be purchased for less. This must take into account any VAT / import duties / transport charges / downgrading / accessories - basically it must be a price for the exact same item being offered here, delivered in Ireland and fully legal. If the mods agree then we will post those fact on thread. Do not take it upon yourself to post on our behalf.

trying to sell an item (not scarce or high in demand) for less than half the price of the same item as new is not profiteering.
    maybe re read the rules to understand them better or if you need help with definitions post here and have them explained.

thermo wrote: »
    Profiteering:

trying to sell an item (not scarce or high in demand) for less than half the price of the same item as new is not profiteering.
    maybe re read the rules to understand them better or if you need help with definitions post here and have them explained.
    Well then how come another MOD banned dryndantheman for a week and classed it as profiteering when he was selling the item for less than the price new but double what he paid for it ???? Maybe im not the only one that needs to reread the rules and understand them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Well then how come another MOD banned dryndantheman for a week and classed it as profiteering when he was selling the item for less than the price new but double what he paid for it ???? Maybe im not the only one that needs to reread the rules and understand them :rolleyes:
    as always feel free to pm any mod about their decisions and im sure they will be happy to explain their actions.

Before the Mod edited the first post at 17:17 today it was up as €50 posted or €40 collected amazing how it was edited 6 minutes after i posted my question
    Id still like my question answered by either another MOD (not the one whose actions I was questioning) or a Category Mod

as always feel free to pm any mod about their decisions and im sure they will be happy to explain their actions.
    I dont neeed to PM Dogwatch about his decision as he explained it quite clearly on the thread

It has a value of about E100. You are asking for twice that.
    In my opinion that is profiteering and is a breach of the charter.
    1 week ban for breach of forum charter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

In the current case the OP ( Thermo ) withdrew the item from sale as soon as he became aware of its origins.

In the other case the OP (dryndantheman) persisted with the sale even though other posters were pointing out his error. When i asked a question, he queried why a MOD would be involved and only after my intervention did he withdraw the item.

dryndantheman got a ban for persisting to push the sale even though the evidence against him from other posters was overwhelming.

In this instance Thermo has done the right thing and no longer offers it for sale.

I hope this answers your question.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    In the current case the OP ( Thermo ) withdrew the item from sale as soon as he became aware of its origins.

In the other case the OP (dryndantheman) persisted with the sale even though other posters were pointing out his error. When i asked a question, he queried why a MOD would be involved and only after my intervention did he withdraw the item.

dryndantheman got a ban for persisting to push the sale even though the evidence against him from other posters was overwhelming.

In this instance Thermo has done the right thing and no longer offers it for sale.

I hope this answers your question.
    You stated he was banned for breach of the charter which was profiteering which is what thermo also did but because he is a MOD did not receive a ban which answers my question that there is one rule for us and another rule for the Mods

Profiteering:

Going by this post from thermo neither he nor dryndantheman were profiteering so how could did dryndantheman be banned for pushing it ????

He was banned for persisting with the sale even though it had been pointed out to him that he was looking for over twice what he paid. He only withdrew it when a MOD(me) stepped in. In this case. the OP withdrew the item as soon as he became aware of his error.

In my opinion this incident is minor and was corrected as soon as possible. The other incident was pushed by the OP as far as possible to sell the item. IF you are unhappy with my opinion, please contact a C Mod by either PM or report the post and ask for a C Mod to review it.

Dogwatch wrote: »
    He was banned for persisting with the sale even though it had been pointed out to him that he was looking for over twice what he paid. He only withdrew it when a MOD(me) stepped in. In this case. the OP withdrew the item as soon as he became aware of his error.

In my opinion this incident is minor and was corrected as soon as possible. The other incident was pushed by the OP as far as possible to sell the item. IF you are unhappy with my opinion, please contact a C Mod by either PM or report the post and ask for a C Mod to review it.
    I think ill get the same answer from a C Mod that you gave me i can see an end to me using this forum at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Neither of these cases were profiteering as defined by the rules.

We're discussing what happened in the mod forum - I'm not entirely happy about how this was handled - the same rules apply to everyone in the forum with the exception that moderator posts do not constitute thread spoiling.

I'll re-post what I posted there, this sums up the rule in question:
    Steve wrote:
    Just remember - profiteering is not the same as profiting. That's what gets most people.
    There is nothing in the rules that says you can't sell for more than you bought for.

The profiteering rule is used mainly to stop ticket touts and people selling hard to get items (like a new release ipad or something) for mad money.

If the forum needs a rule that specifically says you can't sell for more than you bought for then that can be discussed - from experience on adverts.ie it's a very unfair rule and practically non-enforceable.

The head-wrecker for the mods here is trying to make a call on when someone is blatantly taking the pi$$ with their pricing vs someone making a few quid more than they paid for (which is not a rule breach).

Hope that explains it a bit better :)

Steve wrote: »
    Neither of these cases were profiteering as defined by the rules.

We're discussing what happened in the mod forum - I'm not entirely happy about how this was handled - the same rules apply to everyone in the forum with the exception that moderator posts do not constitute thread spoiling.

I'll re-post what I posted there, this sums up the rule in question:

If the forum needs a rule that specifically says you can't sell for more than you bought for then that can be discussed - from experience on adverts.ie it's a very unfair rule and practically non-enforceable.

The head-wrecker for the mods here is trying to make a call on when someone is blatantly taking the pi$$ with their pricing vs someone making a few quid more than they paid for (which is not a rule breach).

Hope that explains it a bit better :)
    It does explain it alot better and not taken a side but the way i see it is dryndantheman was asked why is he asking for over double what he paid for and was banned for a week for the charter breach of profiteering and then you have thermo asking again over double what he paid for the item and nothing happens A blind man can see how this looks I just think its taking the pi$$ Thanks for your time in this Steve and Dogwatch

Personally like id say 80% of the users here that if you buy item A for €10 and you try to sell it again for €30 thats profiteering and shouldnt be allowed by anyone on the forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It does explain it alot better and not taken a side but the way i see it is dryndantheman was asked why is he asking for over double what he paid for and was banned for a week for the charter breach of profiteering and then you have thermo asking again over double what he paid for the item and nothing happens A blind man can see how this looks I just think its taking the pi$$ Thanks for your time in this Steve and Dogwatch
    I'm well aware of how this looks and I've already said I'm not thrilled about it.
    The main thing to remember here is we (mods) are just ordinary guys as well - same as you and we don't always get it 100% right every time. That's part of why this feedback thread is here - so you can point it out. :)

As I said, we're discussing what happened - we'll learn from it and fix what needs fixing and be wiser next time.

Personally like id say 80% of the users here that if you buy item A for €10 and you try to sell it again for €30 thats profiteering and shouldnt be allowed by anyone on the forum
    What if they bought it on bookface / ebay for €10?
    What if they bought it in a closing down sale for €10 and all other retailers have it for €40?

Would the rule only cover stuff specifically previously bought / sold on this forum?

See the problem there? :)

• Advertisement

What if they bought it on bookface / ebay for €10?
    What if they bought it in a closing down sale for €10 and all other retailers have it for €40?

Would the rule only cover stuff specifically previously bought / sold on this forum?

See the problem there? :)
    Start with this Forum and work from there what your saying now is the launcher and sthunder i bought here for €50 i can now repost for €150 as its €200 in the shops now that would be taking the pi$$

I'm well aware of how this looks and I've already said I'm not thrilled about it.
    The main thing to remember here is we (mods) are just ordinary guys as well - same as you and we don't always get it 100% right every time. That's part of why this feedback thread is here - so you can point it out. :)

As I said, we're discussing what happened - we'll learn from it and fix what needs fixing and be wiser next time.
    I understand that MODs are ordinary guys but the same rule should apply which is my question all along as it seems to be one rule for MODs and another for the rest of us

When its made clear on thread or pm to a mod like i did in the dryndantheman case when i offered on the item then dogwatch stepped in and banned him for a week which is 100% right granted hightower1 did it the other way on thermos thread but Deburca gives out to hightower1 for thread spoiling and does nothing to thermo for over charging Thats the part thats annoying me about the whole thing and made me ask the question in the first place

Start with this Forum and work from there what your saying now is the launcher and sthunder i bought here for €50 i can now repost for €150 as its €200 in the shops now that would be taking the pi$$
    If you did that then there's no rule breach so you're perfectly entitled to do so.
    In an ideal world, and this is how we do it on adverts.ie, - the post would be reported with a link to the original thread (or place it was bought elsewhere) and a mod would then post that information on thread.
    It would then be up to anyone interested in making an offer to satisfy themself as to the item's worth. As I said above, this would normally be a threadspoil and only moderators are exempt from this rule when posting in an official capacity.
    I understand that MODs are ordinary guys but the same rule should apply which is my question all along as it seems to be one rule for MODs and another for the rest of us
    I assure you it's not - as I said, there is an ongoing discussion of what went on. :)

If you did that then there's no rule breach so you're perfectly entitled to do so.
    If this is so then why did dryndantheman get banned for a week for "pushing it" after a mod stepped in ?

If this is so then why did dryndantheman get banned for a week for "pushing it" after a mod stepped in ?
    That's being discussed between the mods. There may be other factors to consider that aren't visible to all so let us do our job there, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Lads this has to stop, Make an offer for the fun of it ???? , You reply yes and lower your asking price, And no reply, Common this is not fair, You are intrested in an item or you are not, But at least Reply , If You want to make an offer let the seller know what you want to do, Example ,Hi Plinker I would like to make an offer based on collection if you are close to me, I am not willing to do postage so please let me know were you are based and how far you can travel before I make an offer,
    I've accepted offers twice on threads here were I have lowered my price and had to withdraw my items One link below,

Very Very Annoyed, No I'm pi##ed off to be exact:mad::mad:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056710053

Anyone here who uses touch.boards.ie on their mobile would be interested in this:
    COLOR=#004b82]Feature Suggestion[/COLOR What would you like to see on the touch site?
    Get your oar in for them to get the [FOR SALE] / [WANTED] etc. thread prefixes working! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dec_

Why have an Airsoft Adverts forum when you can buy a Desert eagle replica gas powered BB gun which just sold for €85 on Adverts.

• Advertisement

Link please

Advertisement