Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Riots in England - Sky News now

Options

Comments

steve9859 wrote: »
    What the hell do they believe in?!?!?!? A right to go to university for free? give me a break. Someone has to pay! And its fairest that those who benefit from university pay. And I have yet to hear an interview with a protestor on the street who actually has the facts right and actually knows what they are talking about!!

I like the student anti-protest march at Cambridge, calling on the students occupying parts of the university to go home, and commenting that they actually dont know what they are talking about!

Students do pay already. They get better paid jobs and will pay far more tax than the average person who doesn't go to university. Or did you not get that memo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

Does sky news have a comment section? I thought it did :confused: Can't find it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wonder why the British don't use plastic baton rounds on their own when they riot?.

Banned on the 'mainland' of course but the oul plastic bullet was always specially reserved for the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Police battering innocent young people for no reason at all on live television, i thought i was watching our own an Garda Siochana in action for a moment there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wonder how the injury count will weigh up who was the more aggressive..
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Look at those scumbags busting the horses with sticks and rocks. Sickening to be honest.

They charged into middle of the crowd, they're a massive target. I never understand why they are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Look at those scumbags busting the horses with sticks and rocks. Sickening to be honest.

Look at those scumbags busting the protesters with batons and shields. Sickening to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Look at those scumbags busting the protesters with batons and shields. Sickening to be honest.

You charge the police with a mask on you should get shot, not just tapped with a baton!

Yeh, too right. Like masks, that's seriously bad! That'd be akin to raping someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

There just horses ffs.

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »
    There just horses ffs.

Yes, but to some people the welfare of horses is more important than people not having money to feed their kids. We call them liberals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

you have to remember how the english r always self deprecating about how reserved they are when it comes to such actions, timid n what not - wait til they get a load of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

johnn wrote: »
    Police battering innocent young people for no reason at all on live television, i thought i was watching our own an Garda Siochana in action for a moment there :rolleyes:

Can; Worms.

We've been there, it took about a thousand posts and a couple of bannings, please let's not again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sky showing pictures from a phone of Charles' car passing through the crowds and he's inside awkwardly waving out to the protesters, hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So you missed the footage of the crowds throwing 2x4s and flares at the cops and the Metro police saying there were snooker balls thrown at them too right? Or wait, does brutality only work when the cops are doing it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sky showing pictures from a phone of Charles' car passing through the crowds and he's inside awkwardly waving out to the protesters, hilarious! :D
    Lol seen that. How detacted from reality is this guy.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SemiMental wrote: »
    I am not surprised the students started rioting, £9,000 a year is some serious money to be paying in tuition fees. I would not like to be coming out of college with £21,000 in debt, that is some burden to have.

You only start paying back the loans when your income beaches a certain target and its not like they want it all back in the first year. The level of debt isn't nearly as onerous as they student bodies would have you believe
    When will graduates pay?

Graduates currently start to pay back their loans (which cover the cost of their degrees) when they start earning at least £15,000 a year. Under the government's plans, this will go up in line with inflation from 2012. The government wants the earnings threshold to be £21,000, which will increase each year from 2016. Each month, graduates would pay back 9% of their income above the threshold. If they haven't repaid the cost of their degrees within 30 years, the debt will be cancelled.

gizmo wrote: »
    So you missed the footage of the crowds throwing 2x4s and flares at the cops and the Metro police saying there were snooker balls thrown at them too right? Or wait, does brutality only work when the cops are doing it? :rolleyes:

I didn't see any of the footage. The protesters are fighting for what they believe in, the police should join them to be honest. They're both fighting the wrong enemy.

mike65 wrote: »
    You only start paying back the loans when your income beaches a certain target and its not like they want it all back in the first year. The level of debt isn't nearly as onerous as they student bodies would have you believe

Only 30 years? Wow, that's almost a bargain.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I didn't see any of the footage. The protesters are fighting for what they believe in, the police should join them to be honest. They're both fighting the wrong enemy.

A bunch of snivelly nosed little pricks tried to fuck shit up, broke a bunch of windows and attempted to gain entry into a number of buildings. They attacked police officers and generally wrecked the place up a bit for a while. I don't disagree with protesting and taking to the streets. However the level of thuggery and idiocy shown in the footage I saw is not something I would ever want to see again on Irish streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The students are in danger of losing any support they have.

I support their protest, but a lot of this is the usual rentamob thugs that turn up at G8 summitd, building of new roads etc.

Half of them are spoilt rich kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Students are mainly good at hanging about the place and not getting on with their work.

I agree the tactics of some of the anarchists are over the top but when there's a mass movement behind them expressing similar anger I see no issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nothing but a shower of squat dwellers and hobos.
    Indeed. The usual scum who head into internet cafes to seek out the next protest.
    Wannabe anarchists living in tents and buying cheap cans with Daddy's credit card.
    I wonder why the British don't use plastic baton rounds on their own when they riot?.
    But they did, Aiyana Black Cloverleaf. They used them on the Catholic people in the British controlled region of Ireland.

Oh, wait. I thought you meant the people they regarded as their own, and not those looked upon as papist scum.
    Sorry.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Wish they would come over here to ireland and show us how its done. Although doubt riots will do anything. We need a war.

Are you willing to fight in this war?
    If so, are you willing to take up arms and kill people?
    BickNarry wrote: »
    The rioters are 100% right here.

They were promised no increases in education fees,they got them trebled.

If they went out and had a bit of a shout an a moan,that would have been it. Game over. No reaction,just sympathy.

The government listen to economics,not morals. If you hit them economically they''ll realise that its not in their interests to do this. Requesting debate etc. won't change their minds.I doubt they enjoy gettin hit with a batton in the freezing cold but they there is no other way. Peaceful protest won't work in this instance.Even if they fail,people will know they didn't just roll over.
    Hi.
    Welcome to the real world.
    Remember when your mammy promised you ice cream after you ate your brussel sprouts, and then delivered? Yeah, that's not how the real world works.

Politicians promise the world, but rarely deliver.
    Smashing stuff may have worked in your quest for ice cream, but it lands you in jail in the real world.

Were have your formed this don't pay for anything attitude?...Students pay 1500 euro's of a reg fee now going up to 2000 euro, Student's have to pay vast amounts for Accommodation. Students have to take up part time jobs to help pay for such huge fee's and are doing their best to minimize cost to their ' Taxpaying' parents who begrudgingly hand out the remanded or so you suspect. Students get Jobs through their degrees and then they pay back society through taxes, consumer spending etc....your argument is simplistically naive.
    Life is hard. Get used to it.

There's a lounge girl in my local who has worked there through her years in TCD. She got her degree and is now going for her masters.
    It's a ****ty job with ****ty hours, but she still does it.
    I have the utmost respect for her.
    She puts up with drunk jackasses on a regular basis for **** all money, just so she can have a social life.

As for huge fees, picture yourself in the land of the free.
    Many students opt to head to the U.S. after graduating, and get jobs there without ever contributing to the economy that gave them very low cost college educations.
    Please remember that when you're sitting in an office in NY beside some dude whose parents forked out €200,000 for the same educaton that you have, whilst giving nothing back to those who paid for your education.

By the way, god love you for having to get a job. It must be really tough.

Most of the rioters are anarchists, and aren't students at all. The vast majority of the students are there to protest peacefully, as is there right.
    Indeed. More later.

DB10 wrote: »
    fair game imo
    The protestors? Yep.

SemiMental wrote: »
    Absolutely crazy scenes over in London. There are some good videos of the protest up on the sky news website - students tearing down barriers and of a police man getting trampled by his own horse.
    I am not surprised the students started rioting, £9,000 a year is some serious money to be paying in tuition fees. I would not like to be coming out of college with £21,000 in debt, that is some burden to have.
    Degrees in 2 years and 4 months? They must be intense courses.

What makes me laugh is the selfishness of the average Irish student of today.
    You don't know how good you have it.

Please take into account that your co-workers in the U.S. (yeah, you're going there because you voted FF, and they ****ed up the country, so you're denying responsibility and getting the fúck out) have to pay about €200,000 for their education, but you only had to get your parents to pay a fraction of that, but you go over there with your €8,000 degree and bitch about the raw deal you had at home.

McDonald's are hiring.
    If you feel that you're too good for that, then you will confirm the fact that all students are a useless bunch of wasters.

Without your degree and a job to justify your government sponsored education, you're just another waster, and you don't get your degree until you graduate.

mike65 wrote: »
    Students are mainly good at hanging about the place and not getting on with their work.

Absolutely. So are the unemployed. Sure most of them don't even have jobs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

sdonn wrote: »
    Can; Worms.

We've been there, it took about a thousand posts and a couple of bannings, please let's not again :rolleyes:

Garda or family member of Gardai I take it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

So you didn't see any of the footage, but your first contribution is to complain about the Police?

What a peculiar viewpoint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The anarchists are attacking shoppers on Oxford St now, according to Sky News. That's just pure thuggery, plain and simple.

LOL. Sky News are really a good laugh. Why didn't you say Topshop for failing to pay their taxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

johnn wrote: »
    Garda or family member of Gardai I take it :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with the Gardaí?

Yours,
    Someone with several run-ins with them over the years, but willing to take responsibility for my actions.

Did they ask you if you had any weed, and then search you because you gave them grief?

Want a hug?

Advertisement