Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Rom coms and the like influence you

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Most of what I see in Rom Coms is such cheeseball behaviour from the men (the flowers, the gallant proclaimations of love, the cheesy lines etc.) that I watch them and yes, I´d admit, I always shed a tear because I´m an emotional type anyway but I´m usually thinking, "I´m delighted for HER"...I never ever put myself in the shoes of the woman and hope I´ll have the same outcome in my life. I´m just happy there´s a happy ending....a bit of escapism in a world where there rarely is a truely happy ending. I´m looking for something a lot more low key and a lot more normal. Like the poster above, just a man who is kind enough to give me a leg up when I´m in a tricky situation (like a lift to work in the snow or whatever) and I´d happily do the same in return. Usually the men in most of these run-of-the-mill Rom Coms are chumps and nowadays they´re casting the kind of men I wouldn´t touch with a barge pole in real life (like your man off Knocked Up). Honestly, I find most of them so out of touch with life as I know it in Ireland or here in Spain...they´re almost always based around American culture that I just can´t relate to. It makes me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I generally don't like them. I liked the 40 year old virgin, Some Like it Hot, Annie Hall, and the old Bogie and Bacall movies.

It's a great genre but imo contemporary Hollywood has destroyed it and makes crap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Most Rom coms, especially the newer ones, really do influence you but there are a few great exceptions like How to lose a guy in 10 days and Bridget jones (not the second one) to name a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Annie Hall!! Fantastic...a little nearer to how it really is. Although would a hot chick like Diane Keating REALLY go out with someone like Woodie Allen? A sense of humour is always attractive of course but physically? Seems like she fancied him even before she knew about his neurotic sense of humour...a little unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Annie Hall!! Fantastic...a little nearer to how it really is. Although would a hot chick like Diane Keating REALLY go out with someone like Woodie Allen? A sense of humour is always attractive of course but physically? Seems like she fancied him even before she knew about his neurotic sense of humour...a little unbelievable.

Yes indeed she would, as she did in real life too.

A sense of humour is an all time must. Im sure it saved many a marriage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No, not really. Maybe when I was a teenager but not now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Yes indeed she would, as she did in real life too.

As did Stacey Nelkin, the beautiful real-life version of the 17-year-old Tracy from Manhattan. Woody got the gals. :)

Advertisement