Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

OisinT wrote: »
    What's this? I'm attempting to watch via http://www.boards.ie/budgetlive/ and it's total ****... keeps cutting out and buffering so I'm missing it all.

I'm watchin it on RtePlayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

so people aren't leaving the country?

Yes they are but are they leaving jobs to go?

The reduction in redundancies is by 30 percent meaning less job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

anyone else having problems with http://www.boards.ie/budgetlive/ ?
    I took a look, and it worked for me. The video is being hosted by HEAnet, which has just about the fattest pipe in Ireland; so if that goes down, you know the Wreckage is Large. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The paycut for the president, am I right in thinking that he said that will only apply to future presidents, as the current president has already taken significant cuts? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This makes no sense. It is a private enterprise. Nothing to do with government funds.

The goverment are the biggest employers of the legal profession, look at all the tribunals where they overchaged and look at all the bogus refugee casses which has cot the state tens of millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Kasabian wrote: »
    Yes they are but are they leaving jobs to go?

The reduction in redundancies is by 30 percent meaning less job losses.

It's possible that some of them left a job here for a better paying or more secure one abroad.

Besides, I instantly flag any govt statistic as instant spin, so I honestly don't know what to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Uriel. wrote: »
    €14,000 pay reduction for taoiseach... yeah easy decision to make when you only have a few days left in office.. might have been worth doing that 2 years ago :mad::mad:

Agreed.
    It probably cost them 14K to print their budget papers today ffs. 14K is feck all in the grand scheme of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The goverment are the biggest employers of the legal profession, look at all the tribunals where they overchaged and look at all the bogus refugee casses which has cot the state tens of millions.

Really do you ever get sick of whistling this tune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The paycut for the president, am I right in thinking that he said that will only apply to future presidents, as the current president has already taken significant cuts? :confused:

Get rid of the president, serves no purpose to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I thought he said they'd already taken significant cuts but were still taking another.

That's simply not true. There are very few Barristers & Solicitors that participate in tribunals and most of them are over now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Get out.

msg11 wrote: »
    Get rid of the president, serves no purpose to the state.
    In Re Article 26 = most important job in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cap of €250,000 on public service pay,

we need a cap on the amount that can earn that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Agreed.
    It probably cost them 14K to print their budget papers today ffs. 14K is feck all in the grand scheme of things

I am not too opposed to the previous salary of the "Office of the Taoiseach" but the current office holder is such a joke and not worthy of 50% of that remuneration. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

But it's censored!:D

New minimum wage employees will be exempt from tax net?! That's a pretty big positive that people were worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Thrill wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    What about money spent on food, gas/electricity bills, money for cloths etc?

Food - Shop in a supermarket and buy cheap stuff, whatever. It's easily manageable

ESB bill - I'm paying roughly €30 - €45 for my share. No problem there.

Internet Bill - That's €20 a month for my share, no probem either.

Clothes - I only buy what I need, no need for fancy shìt.

It's not that bad to live on. I consider the internet as a treat which I can easily afford and put money aside for.

Reduction in [Something] for family of 2 by less than €12/week.

Anyone know what the [Something] was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I think the only cuts we should be making are cutting out the 166 member's of the dail & organise an Irelands got Talent type programme where the Winner could be our Dictator & try take over the world.....most of it anyway...maybe not Iran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oh salaries down €14,000 and €10,000 for the taoiseach and ministers respectively. Sounds impressive, then I realise that they are still roughly within the same pay bracket as Barack Obama. I tell ya, balls of brass the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gross income I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' good, they are even increasing the tax on our savings!
    (Dirt tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

married couple tax

WOW... big Section 23 changes & 20% Reduction in Tax free thresholds for inheritance are serious burdens on those "higher earners" and people with large property assets!

Galway K9 wrote: »
    married couple tax

That's not too bad. Definitely nowhere near the figures that people were worried about here on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Extremely basic dole maths ahead :pac::
    1. €9 cut off the dole = €187
    2. €187 x 4 weeks = €748
    3. €748 - €230 (Rent) = €518
    4. €518 / 4 weeks = €129

I gotta ask, where are you getting the figure of €230 for monthly rent?

Surely it should be

1. €9 cut off the dole = €187
    2. €187 x 4 weeks = €748
    3. €748 - €520 (Rent) = €228
    4. €228 / 4 weeks = €57 (- bills, food, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

New minimum wage employees will be exempt from tax net?! That's a pretty big positive that people were worried about!

It's something positive with the poverty trap, but we need more ideas like that, instead of cutting everything!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

No change to corporation tax...... What the.... FF do something smart.

Advertisement