Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Round Draft -Drafting Quarter Backs

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

these teams i think need to think seriously about drafting a QB

Bills - THis may be a touch harsh but I feel that Gailey likes Fitzy but if Luck is there i think the bills will move

Dolphins - I would say Henne is definitely on borrowed time

Redskins - Shanahan knows QBs and knows McNabbs play has been dreadful coupled with the fact that DC is a coachkiller and Shanahan needs to correct this

Bengals - Palmers salary in 2011 will probably mean he wont return along with the 80% passer rating

Vikes - If Favre doesnt return and TJack keeps throwing picks a QB will be traded for or picked in draft

Titans - If Fisher survives and thats a big if when the owner loves VYoung , team keeps losing and Fisher is in last year of contract coming into a labour dispute but if Fisher survives MusicCity will need a QB

Raiders - This may be an outside shot but Davis likes Campbell but Campbell isnt good enough, Gradkowski is tough limited and clutch and Cable loves him , Davis less so , Gradkowski cant stay on the field , a franchise QB is needed

Panthers - Probably the No 1 pick , Jerry Richardson (owner) and Matt Hurney (GM) ultimatley will not let Andrew Luck pass them by ...i think people have remembered the Rams in 2009

49ers - If Singletary is fired and Jim Harbaugh at Stanford is hired what are chances Stanfords QB gets drafted or trade up for Luck ...i think Panthers take Luck that even with Clausen , you cant pass on players who will ultimately rescue a franchise ...im thinking manning with the colts in 98

Cardinals - Whizzy needs to get a reliable QB , take a look at Skelton till season end and then draft highly or trade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Redskins just gave McNabb a new contract, there's no way they'll even consider drafting a QB in the first round.

As for the Bills, they won't take a QB. They seem to be happy with Fitzpatrick for next year, which is a mistake imo. Either way, Luck is going to Carolina unless Clausen suddenly becomes a hero over the last few weeks. There's no way Luck will fall to the Bills. They'll work on that defensive line and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raiders don't have a first round pick and QB isn't our first priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Panthers - Luck

Cardinals - Mallet

49ers/Vikings - Locker

That's how I would imagine it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Redskins just gave McNabb a new contract, there's no way they'll even consider drafting a QB in the first round.

The McNabb deal has get out clauses that would cost the Redskins very little so they could well be in the market for a QB.

Whisenhunt's job will be on the line, I doubt he's going to risk it on a rookie QB. Besides, if he didn't like Matt Leinart's attitude, there's no way he'll go for Mallett.

• Advertisement

But what choice do the Cards have, they are in desperate need of a QB. Trade for someone like Kevin Kolb? Mallet will probably be the best option available to them, although he is more of a project than the other 2 likely 1st round QB's

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    But what choice do the Cards have, they are in desperate need of a QB. Trade for someone like Kevin Kolb? Mallet will probably be the best option available to them, although he is more of a project than the other 2 likely 1st round QB's

Mallet is more of a fit for the Bengals I think - a team that has no problem drafting players with talent that can be offset by attitude problems. But they'll pass on him because it's looking more likely that they'll have a top 5 pick. I'd say the Cards will be one of a number of teams looking at Kolb, and it's a safer gamble for Whisenhunt. They could always pick up Christian Ponder or Nick Foles later on in the draft imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Either way, Luck is going to Carolina unless Clausen suddenly becomes a hero over the last few weeks. There's no way Luck will fall to the Bills. They'll work on that defensive line and rightly so.

Why did they pick Clausen so high up if he was going to be discarded for an even higher QB selection a year later?

A mid second round pick though? I think it was just a case that they couldn't let such an apparantly good player slide any further in that draft, especially in a position they needed. The overall cost of drafting Clausen wasn't that great

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Why did they pick Clausen so high up if he was going to be discarded for an even higher QB selection a year later?

He wasn't really high up though was he? He was expected to be a high end first round draft pick, but he fell to 48th overall. I don't think anyone saw him falling that low in the draft. He's also been pretty terrible and his attitude is horrible (which explains why he fell in the draft).

If there's a coaching change, which there should be, then they'll definitely take a new QB. If not, they might address the defence and hope to get Matt Barkley next year, but you'd be an idiot to pass up on Andrew Luck when you have issues at QB. He's a once every 5 years type QB and is tailor made for the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

neilster wrote: »
    t
    Bills - THis may be a touch harsh but I feel that Gailey likes Fitzy but if Luck is there i think the bills will move

Andrew Luck won't get past the Panthers. They seem happy with Fitzpatrick who has been doing fine this year and they'll give him another year.

The Bills have a hell a lot of needs so they may be drafting best player available

As the 49'ers. Troy Smith is NFL starter quality imo. And they have Nate Davis to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

48 is still a high pick to spend on somebody though if you are just going to discard him after one year and not even try and develop him.

Fair enough, I thought it was a relatively high pick to be thinking of getting another QB so soon, but I didn't know of his attitude problems. It was Carolina's first pick, iirc...

I haven't seen anything of Luck this year, but if he's as good as what's been said then it's obviously worth it

Clausen still has some trade value though for a team that are willing to put up with him. Bengals anyone?

eagle eye wrote: »
    48 is still a high pick to spend on somebody though if you are just going to discard him after one year and not even try and develop him.

Seems to me like they took a punt with Clausen. He had fallen so low (48th is shockingly low considering the projections he was getting) that they figured they would take a chance. If he worked out, it was a steal, if not, well then there was a reason he fell so low. By all accounts, his attitude is that reason and he is unworkable.

But all that aside, if you have the first overall pick this year and your situation at QB is uncertain, you just don't pass up on Andrew Luck. A) He's too good. B) The QB core of the 2011 draft does not look strong outside of Matt Barkley.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems to me like they took a punt with Clausen. He had fallen so low (48th is shockingly low considering the projections he was getting) that they figured they would take a chance. If he worked out, it was a steal, if not, well then there was a reason he fell so low. By all accounts, his attitude is that reason and he is unworkable.

But all that aside, if you have the first overall pick this year and your situation at QB is uncertain, you just don't pass up on Andrew Luck. A) He's too good. B) The QB core of the 2011 draft does not look strong outside of Matt Barkley.
    For all that Luck has done this year, he is still a college player that you hope will make it. Clausen looked every bit as good as him in college is a very similar pro-style offense.

I think Luck is better than Clausen but I think Clausen makes it in the NFL. This is his rookie year and he wasn't expected to start this year. He needs to be given some time and another training camp will tell you whether he is going to make it or not. Just giving up on him that quickly is not a good idea.

The Panthers have loads of holes on their team, not just QB. They could get a really good deal on a trade down in this draft. There are loads of teams that need a QB very badly and will want to take the chance on Luck.

eagle eye wrote: »
    For all that Luck has done this year, he is still a college player that you hope will make it. Clausen looked every bit as good as him in college is a very similar pro-style offense.

I think Luck is better than Clausen but I think Clausen makes it in the NFL. This is his rookie year and he wasn't expected to start this year. He needs to be given some time and another training camp will tell you whether he is going to make it or not. Just giving up on him that quickly is not a good idea.

The Panthers have loads of holes on their team, not just QB. They could get a really good deal on a trade down in this draft. There are loads of teams that need a QB very badly and will want to take the chance on Luck.

Well Im not accounting for any ridiculous offers, so if they get one then that changes the scenario completely. However, I think the other teams that need QBs will be happy to go for the likes of Mallett, Locker, Newton, Ponder, Foles, Pryor etc. (if they all declare) rather than trading up, and there's always the likes of Kevin Kolb who should be available too.

Although I don't think Carolina have a 2nd round pick (don't the Patriots have it?) so they could be tempted to trade to be fair.

Titans, Cam Newton, please. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You know, I think Michael Vick's reinvention will make more teams consider Newton as a project. Vick was obviously more pro-ready, but Newton would be a very interesting pick for a team that have the latiude at QB to take a risk, a team like the Jaguars where they have a starter they're not all that invested in.

That said, if the Jags were even half-serious they would have made sure to draft Tebow this year, inot leasrtfor the fact they'd have got huge financial benefit from having the area's favourite son.

Syferus wrote: »
    Vick was obviously more pro-ready

I'm sorry, but that's a ludicrous statement. Vick coming out of Virginia Tech was more pro-ready than Newton? Why on earth do you think that?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but that's a ludicrous statement. Vick coming out of Virginia Tech was more pro-ready than Newton? Why on earth do you think that?

Don't forget Newton was a college vagabond - he was the third QB at Florida (under Tebow, who is obviously the prototype for Newton) for two years before switching to a junior college. He'll only have had one year as a starter in a serious team entering the 2011 draft.

Don't forget Newton was a college vagabond - he was the third QB at Florida for tow years before switching to a junior college. He'll only have had one year as a starter in a serious team entering the 2011 draft.

And even having only one year, he has infinitely better accuracy and pocket presence than Vick did. He even has the arm strength to rival Vick. Vick's more conventional style and resulting form is only a recent development, he was never at the level Newton is at that the same age.

And even having only one year, he has infinitely better accuracy and pocket presence than Vick did. He even has the arm strength to rival Vick. Vick's more conventional style and resulting form is only a recent development, he was never at the level Newton is at that the same age.

Newton's mechanics and footwork have all been openly questioned, and for valid reasons too - I've even seen some coverage of 'insiders' suggesting he be converted to a h-back, alá the ridiculous stuff you heard last year about Tebow. There's obviously no way you decide to throw away half the abilities of a talent like Newton, but he has had accuracy issues in the pocket and he's rarely put into situations where he has to pass, something that will make more traditional NFL coaches somewhat jumpy.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a Newton fan and think he is a fantastic talent who is utterly red hot right now. He's also shown he's got the head for the big game with that pretty unbelievable comeback in the Iron Bowl and he's certainly forcing his way into the coversation of what the top QB picks in the 2011 draft will be.

Newton's mechanics and footwork have all been openly questioned, and for valid reasons too - I've even seen some coverage of 'insiders' suggesting he be converted to a h-back, alá the ridiculous stuff you heard last year about Tebow. There's obviously no way you decide to throw away half the abilities of a talent like Newton, but he has had accuracy issues in the pocket and he's rarely put into situations where he has to pass, something that will make more traditional NFL coaches somewhat jumpy.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a Newton fan and think he is a fantastic talent who is utterly red hot right now. He's also shown he's got the head for the big game with that pretty unbeleivable comeback in the Iron Bowl and he's certainly forcing his way into the coversation of what the top QB picks in the 2011 draft will be.

I don't see anything wrong with his accuracy. His completions percentage is only 3% less then Andrew Luck, and he responds fantastically when under pressure - that completion percentage goes up to 76.5% against the blitz, and he has 9 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in those situations. He's so much more ready for the pros than Vick was. His throwing mechanics do need work, but all rookies do. His physicality also puts him in a much better stead, at 6'6 he has no trouble seeing down the field over those linemen. I just thought it was a bizarre comment to say Vick was more pro-ready than Newton when entering the draft. It's really not true.

I just thought it was a bizarre comment to say Vick was more pro-ready than Newton when entering the draft. It's really not true.

It was simply to do with the fact Newton has had less time to adjust to being a starter and that it's unlikely whoever drafts him will do a Vick and be desperate enough throw him in at the deep end.

Vick has became a much more studious player since his jail term, but alot of his failings at Atlanta became more gaudy simply because of the cogs that surrounded him there - he was erratic, but his seeming insistence that he had to do it all himself wasn't completely off the mark either.

Vick was drafted number 1 overall, Cam will be late 1st at best. Not sure how Newton is more pro ready.

Vick was drafted number 1 overall, Cam will be late 1st at best. Not sure how Newton is more pro ready.

Draft position has nothing to do with pro ready :confused:

Pro-ready means the ability to step into a pro-style offence as soon as possible. The NFL is becoming increasingly more pass-first orientated. Cam Newton is so far ahead of Michael Vick in his ability to step into a pro-style offence than Vick was at that stage. Seriously, nowhere else would this even be discussed.

As for Syferus mentioning Vick's added experience. Vick only has 1 more year experience in college than Newton. Over those two years, Vick had 177 completions. In his one single year, Cam Newton has 165. Vick's completion percentages were 59 and 54 respectively. Cam Newton's is 67. Vick threw for 20 touchdowns in two years. Newton has thrown for 28 this year alone. Newton also has a greater yards per attempt than Vick.

Ok, so you'll point to Vick's mobility. A competent scrambling QB will never be more pro-ready than an equally competent pocket passer. But still, here is some more stats for you. Vick rushed for 16 TD's in 2 years at VT. Cam Newton has rushed for 20 in one year at Auburn. Vick rushed for 1200 yards in 2 years at VT. Newton has rushed for 1400 in one year at Auburn. Newton also has a greater yards per attempt on rushing.

Add all this to the fact that Newton has gone undefeated, proven himself to be exceptional in clutch situations and has taken his team to the National Championship Game where they are heavy favourites, and finished the season as the number 1 ranked team in the country (Vick's VT only managed 6 and 2 in his two seasons). And all this in a much tougher conference and much tougher opposition.

Vick more pro-ready? Don't make me laugh.

Draft position has nothing to do with pro ready :confused:

Pro-ready means the ability to step into a pro-style offence as soon as possible. The NFL is becoming increasingly more pass-first orientated. Cam Newton is so far ahead of Michael Vick in his ability to step into a pro-style offence than Vick was at that stage. Seriously, nowhere else would this even be discussed.

As for Syferus mentioning Vick's added experience. Vick only has 1 more year experience in college than Newton. Over those two years, Vick had 177 completions. In his one single year, Cam Newton has 165. Vick's completion percentages were 59 and 54 respectively. Cam Newton's is 67. Vick threw for 20 touchdowns in two years. Newton has thrown for 28 this year alone. Newton also has a greater yards per attempt than Vick.

Ok, so you'll point to Vick's mobility. A competent scrambling QB will never be more pro-ready than an equally competent pocket passer. But still, here is some more stats for you. Vick rushed for 16 TD's in 2 years at VT. Cam Newton has rushed for 20 in one year at Auburn. Vick rushed for 1200 yards in 2 years at VT. Newton has rushed for 1400 in one year at Auburn. Newton also has a greater yards per attempt on rushing.

Add all this to the fact that Newton has gone undefeated, proven himself to be exceptional in clutch situations and has taken his team to the National Championship Game where they are heavy favourites, and finished the season as the number 1 ranked team in the country (Vick's VT only managed 6 and 2 in his two seasons). And all this in a much tougher conference and much tougher opposition.

Vick more pro-ready? Don't make me laugh.

I'd ignore stats in college to be honest. College is so gimmicky that stats really don't say much. It's hard to really argue this as 10 years is a big difference. I still wouldn't touch Newton though and he'll be a huge bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think the Cards will trade for Marc Bulger myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I would love to see the titans trade for Kolb.

Advertisement