Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Just wondering is it too early for chutney/chilli jam making?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Just wondering is it too early for chutney/chilli jam making?

I was planning to start in early October. Chutneys benefit from a bit of mellowing time. The chili jam keeps very well, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

As C Cat say, never to early for chutneys, :) the more time they have to mellow the better, hoping to start the apple and damsons chutneys at weekend. I made a start with soft fruit chutneys,
    Gooseberry, Blackberry & apple, raspberry, blackcurrant, marrow, green tomato.

[IMG][/img]2i06e69.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi SDP, just wondering where you got the labels that you used for your chutney / jams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Just making a start on my chutneys, forget the coca cola ad, this is what makes me feel like Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Oh lovely, what are you making?

Ive been very organised this year. I made roast pepper salsa, raspberry and champagne jam, nigellas chilli jam, bbq sauce and onion marmalade.

Just need to label them and they are done.

I’ve also made 28 snowman soup kits (hot chocolate). Closer to Christmas I’m going to make peanut brittle, fudge, chilli lime nuts and chocolate bark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Yum!! No where near as organised as you, just five jars of apple and mango chutney. I'll do chilli jam too. I only do them for my parents and in laws so don't go too mad. I normally do something sweet to pick at on Stephens Day, last year was pistachio fudge, need to think of something for this year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Guys, I could have sworn I made an apple & beetroot chutney from this thread before but a thread search isn't throwing anything up - am I thick or blind or just imagining it? Anyone remember it?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Guys, I could have sworn I made an apple & beetroot chutney from this thread before but a thread search isn't throwing anything up - am I thick or blind or just imagining it? Anyone remember it?

Could it be apple and cranberry? I made that a few times and it goes down very well

• Advertisement

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Could it be apple and cranberry? I made that a few times and it goes down very well

No, it was definitely beetroot cause my fingers were stained for days afterwards from chopping it!

I found another recipe online anyway, but I was just a bit "Did I dream that or what?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Was it Dizzyblondes recipe on this page? Can't figure out how to link to just the post itself, sorry!
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057056139/156

It's a great recipe, have made it so many times since

pampootie wrote: »
    Was it Dizzyblondes recipe on this page? Can't figure out how to link to just the post itself, sorry!
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057056139/156

It's a great recipe, have made it so many times since

You click or tap on the post count number, that brings you to the single post view and you can link to it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89528127&postcount=1870

Well, folks, it's getting to that time of year again! What edibles are people making this year? I always do chilli jam about a month out and cranberry sauce the week of. This year I'm going to try Dizzyblonde's green tomato chutney, so I think I'll make that this weekend. Have to hit Mr. Price up for some kilner jars first, though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've just made that chutney using up all of my green tomatoes. I'd only a few plants so I got two jars and OMG the wooden spoon tasted delicious. It's going to be savage when it mellows.

I get my jars online every couple of years but they aren't Kilner. The place I ordered my jars do have Kilner in stock as a bulk buy which might work out cheaper per jar though.

I'll be doing chilli jam this year again. It was a big hit last year. Also doing my usual spiced apple chutney, christmas cakes and might do a small amount of mincemeat as well.

Neyite wrote: »
    I get my jars online every couple of years but they aren't Kilner.

Also doing my usual spiced apple chutney

The ones I buy aren't *actual* Kilner brand, hence they're significantly cheaper! Mr. Price is great for jars.

Any chance of the apple chutney recipe? A friend of mine has apples coming out of her ears from her garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I'm so delighted this thread is still alive after 8 years :)
    I've had a glut of apples myself this year and I've already made apple jelly and apple jam. I second Mr. Price for jars, cellophane and general gift wrap goodies!

If anyone has excess apples and needs a treat to eat during all the jam and chutney-ing, these apple blondies are really gorgeous and are quick to make.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The ones I buy aren't *actual* Kilner brand, hence they're significantly cheaper! Mr. Price is great for jars.

Any chance of the apple chutney recipe? A friend of mine has apples coming out of her ears from her garden.

Not sure if the ones I linked are officially Kilner either but they work out quite cheap, just over €2 each for the 500g ones.

Here's the chutney recipe. If you are using ordinary apples then you might need to reduce the sugar...

1.8kg Bramley Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    450g onions, peeled and finely chopped
    450g sultanas
    900g sugar
    1.2l malt vinegar
    25g salt
    5 star anise (remove at the end of cooking)
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions
    Put all ingredients in a large pot and simmer gently until pulpy stirring frequently. Cook uncovered for 1.5+ hrs until dark brown and thick.

Pour into washed, sterilised jars.

I'm going to need to clear space in the shed at this rate for all these chutneys I'm planning to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve often thought about this thread and finally managed to find it again! Six years ago pregnant I made a load of recipes of it and I’m back this year for more.

Plan for this week is to do the cranberry biscotti and then the beetroot chutney once I get some jars. Husband will kill me (he hates beetroot) but I adored this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Which recipe for beetroot chutney are you planning to make?

I was thinking of making this recipe from Neven for Onion & Fig Jam and Oatmeal Biscuits :

http://nevenmaguire.com/userfiles/file/Christmas_Special/The%20Ultimate%20Cheeseboard.pdf

Or maybe his Apple Chutney :

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2014/0121/744001-apple-chutney/

nc6000 wrote: »

I was thinking of making this recipe from Neven for Onion & Fig Jam and Oatmeal Biscuits :

http://nevenmaguire.com/userfiles/file/Christmas_Special/The%20Ultimate%20Cheeseboard.pdf

I know I wasn't asked, but I always make this chutney: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-beetroot-orange-chutney

My sons hate beetroot, but love this chutney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

nc6000 wrote: »

There’s one early on in the thread I made before but now I may change my mind....

I made up the biscotti and I have eaten waaaaay too many of them myself.

Have the jars now for the chutney so that’s on my do list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I seen the below trending on BBC today. Some very nice ideas for those looking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/edible_gifts

I can't believe this thread is still going. such nice memories. Ive been making stuff from this thread for the past 10 years.

This year im making

Nigellas Chilli Jam
    Stone Soup BBQ sauce
    Peach & Prosescco jam
    Snowman Soup (hot chocolate kits)
    Granola
    Peanut brittle
    Chilli lime nuts
    Maybe peppermint bark.

I was much slower getting organised this year, but i'm making less as i'll be seeing less people in person.

I've the Chilli Jam and BBQ sauce made which are the most time consuming so im happy enough with progress and i so enjoy the process its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

I know I wasn't asked, but I always make this chutney: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spiced-beetroot-orange-chutney

This chutney is amazing!

Made my chilli jam today. The house reeks of vinegar for days afterwards but it's so worth it.

I also managed to make about 6 times the quantity of Ras el Hanout I intended to. Doubled my recipe anyway and then realised I'd used tablespoons instead of teaspoons of everything. Oh well!

Will make my cranberry sauce this weekend and brown bread for several households on Christmas Eve.

Did anyone else find jars very hard to come by this year? Despite my protestations every year that nobody is getting a gift unless they return the jar they got it in the previous year, I had none at all. Went to four or five places before I finally found any at all, in Home Store & More, eventually. They only had Kilner in stock so they ended up costing me a fortune.

Need to be more organised next year and order well in advance from somewhere cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

Made my chilli jam today. The house reeks of vinegar for days afterwards but it's so worth it.

I also managed to make about 6 times the quantity of Ras el Hanout I intended to. Doubled my recipe anyway and then realised I'd used tablespoons instead of teaspoons of everything. Oh well!

Will make my cranberry sauce this weekend and brown bread for several households on Christmas Eve.

Did anyone else find jars very hard to come by this year? Despite my protestations every year that nobody is getting a gift unless they return the jar they got it in the previous year, I had none at all. Went to four or five places before I finally found any at all, in Home Store & More, eventually. They only had Kilner in stock so they ended up costing me a fortune.

Need to be more organised next year and order well in advance from somewhere cheap!

I bought a variety of these https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-dining/kitchen-accessories/kitchen-storage/storage-jars/my-home-storage-jar/#127679 earlier in the year and seem to be good enough, got them delivered so not sure if the Irish stores stock a full range of them. My order came from the UK.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

I use Alpack, or Epacking, tray of 50 jars and lids, shipping is dear enough, But at some stage during the year they do a promo of free shipping, that's when I order. stopped using the nicer jars, as same as you, never get the back. :)

• Advertisement

sdp wrote: »
    I use Alpack, or Epacking, tray of 50 jars and lids, shipping is dear enough, But at some stage during the year they do a promo of free shipping, that's when I order. stopped using the nicer jars, as same as you, never get the back. :)

I used alpack too.

I used leftover jars for all my herbs and spices. Now I can open that press and all my jars match. *happy sigh*

Advertisement