Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

I really want to try a few of those fudge recipes, they look delicious!! Any suggestions on presentation if I was to give some as small gifts?

Thanks an advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

If anyone's looking for Christmas cake tins, TK Maxx have some nice ones. 3 different sizes. I picked up the middle size for €3.99. Tempted to go back for more!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

mary90 wrote: »
    I really want to try a few of those fudge recipes, they look delicious!! Any suggestions on presentation if I was to give some as small gifts?

Thanks an advance!

Dealz (sometimes) and Homestore & More have little cellophane bags that they look very nice in ;) little bow or a Christmas gift tag to close it & you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Dealz (sometimes) and Homestore & More have little cellophane bags that they look very nice in ;) little bow or a Christmas gift tag to close it & you're sorted

Saw them yesterday. They also have perfectly sized little tins @ the DEALZ Henry street location. I am making the Oreo fudge today as a trial run....wish me luck :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I'm thinking of making baked goods baskets not sure what to do that would last or I could do in advance though

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I have 3 of the 21 fudges on the go. Daughters choice, so all contain peanut butter, nutella or both

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I made Nigella's chocolate pistachio fudge today, minus the pistachios! I wanted to give it a go to see if it would be okay to give as gifts because I thought it would be a bit soft. I whipped it in my mixer (like I do with vanilla fudge) to lighten it up a bit and that made a difference to the texture. It's lovely straight from the fridge. I left a piece out to see how it coped with room temperature and although it didn't get sticky and it kept its shape it was quite soft when I bit into it so I reckon I wont make it as gifts. I'm going to make some ice cream and throw some chopped up fudge into it and I'll stick the rest of it into the freezer. It's delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I made Nigella's chocolate pistachio fudge today, minus the pistachios! I wanted to give it a go to see if it would be okay to give as gifts because I thought it would be a bit soft. I whipped it in my mixer (like I do with vanilla fudge) to lighten it up a bit and that made a difference to the texture. It's lovely straight from the fridge. I left a piece out to see how it coped with room temperature and although it didn't get sticky and it kept its shape it was quite soft when I bit into it so I reckon I wont make it as gifts. I'm going to make some ice cream and throw some chopped up fudge into it and I'll stick the rest of it into the freezer. It's delicious!

You have my address yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Made spiced apple butter, orange and Jameson marmalade, mulling syrup and 360 macaron shells today. Tomorrow is 3 fruit marmalade, beet root chutney and chili jam and then ill make marshmallows, fudges, curds and gingerbread around the nineteenth. I reckon ill sleep well tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm making some gins, I probably haven't given myself enough time, but going to try it anyway! Found a recipe for blackberry and apple. I'm not a gin drinker, just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Saw a nice sounding Cranberry one too, but thought it might be too similar to the first?

If you'd like someone to test the gins Mona, just let me know!:)

Made Christmas biscuits. Really nice with a good kick of spice! As you can see from the pic, I stuck my finger in the star.:pac:

Currently have Nigella's Chocolate Fruit Cake in the tin, ready for icing. Going to attempt Jamie Oliver's chocolate truffles recipe Sunday.

EDIT: According to their magazine, Aldi have hamper baskets for sale from next Thursday. Wine ones with dividers in the middle (space for 4 bottles) and gift hampers that include cellophane, bow. Probably a bit expensive @ 10.99 for a hamper but grand if you're stuck for one or just putting together one present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Went for the Cranberry gin in the end, the colour after only a few days is unreal!!

Made alton browns salted caramels yesterday, along with some baileys choc biscuit cake, honeycomb, chocolate truffles and peanut butter fudge. Thought I was gonna burn down the kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I cranked out some :

Chocolate fudge with chopped nuts and cranberries
    White chocolate fudge with chocolate chip cookie dough pieces
    Candy cane chocolate bark

So far, all winners. Candy cane bark has gotten me some serious brownie points with Mrs Sof.

Candy cane bark sounds good. Any chance of the recipe, please?

Iced the Christmas cake earlier. Had no apricot jam to brush on so just heated up some runny honey. Used Nigella's chocolate fruit cake recipe for a change.

Also made Jamie's DIY chocolate truffles. Really tasty but quite rich. Might replace some of the dark chocolate for milk next time. They went down well though! I think it was the generous splash of brandy!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I'm getting started with my foodie gifts later this week. This year I'm going to make:
    Chipotles en adobo
    Chipotle & bourbon bbq sauce
    Spiced apple chutney
    Red onion marmalade
    Peanut butter fudge
    Chocolate, cranberry & pistachio bark

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Hey tried out some of the recipes and they were delicious though I'm not sure whether things like cookies and macaroons would be better presented in a basket or box of some sort and how long would they last as I have to travel this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I've been thinking about truffles too and came across this site yesterday, I haven't time to check if it's been mentioned before but in case it's of interest to those looking for a bit of a challenge, I'll try to link the site below. Just scroll down the page, there are quite a few recipes and some of them are a bit different. I printed off the recipe for salted caramels, just for a change! From making fudge for years, I do firmly believe that a sugar thermometer is essential, Home Store and More usually have them for about a tenner so it's not a huge investment. Hope you have fun!

http://www.ecolechocolat.com/en/chocolate-recipe.html

janmaree wrote: »
    I've been thinking about truffles too and came across this site yesterday, I haven't time to check if it's been mentioned before but in case it's of interest to those looking for a bit of a challenge, I'll try to link the site below. Just scroll down the page, there are quite a few recipes and some of them are a bit different. I printed off the recipe for salted caramels, just for a change! From making fudge for years, I do firmly believe that a sugar thermometer is essential, Home Store and More usually have them for about a tenner so it's not a huge investment. Hope you have fun!

http://www.ecolechocolat.com/en/chocolate-recipe.html

The fudge recipe list up above has a salted chocolate fudge, but it's actually more like a truffle and very easy to make. When I was making my caramels the last day I was sure that the thermometer was gonna explode! Had to get the sugar up to 350 degrees-was terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I promised ages ago to post my mincemeat recipe. I make this every year as presents and it's always a massive hit. All you need is one jar, two rolls of jus roll shortcrust and voila - 12 perfect mince pies!

Ballymaloe Mincemeat

Makes 3.2 kilos approx. Makes 8-9 pots.

2 cooking apples, e.g. Bramley Seedling
    2 organic lemons
    450g (1lb) beef suet
    pinch of salt
    110g (4oz) mixed peel (preferably homemade)
    2 tablespoons Séville orange marmelade
    225g (8oz) currants
    450g (1lb) sultanas
    225g (8oz) raisins
    900g (2lbs) Barbados sugar (moist, soft, dark-brown)
    62ml (2 1/2fl oz) Irish whiskey

Core and bake the whole apples in a moderate oven, 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4, for 30 minutes approx. Allow to cool. When they are soft, remove the skin and mash the flesh into pulp. Grate the rind from the lemons on the finest part of a stainless steel grater and squeeze out the juice and stir into the pulp. Add the other ingredients one by one, and as they are added, mix everything thoroughly. Put into sterilized jars, cover and leave to mature for 2 weeks before using. This mincemeat will keep for a year in a cool, airy place.

I make this mincemeat recipe every couple of years. I don't use beef suet, I use grated butter instead. it keeps for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I love this thread. Some great advice and recipes here.

I've made this so far:

Spiced Beetroot Chutney
    Chilli Jam
    Gooseberry Jam
    Lemon Marmalade
    Pot-Pourri (from leftover oranges, spices and what-not)
    Cranberry, orange and pistachio biscotti
    Chocolate and rum truffles (in the fridge chilling at the moment)

I also have a few fillers like sparkly candles and candy canes to bulk up the hampers. May try one of the fudge recipes posted tomorrow.

Bought my hamper supplies from epackaging.ie and collected. Thought they were decent enough value. Have enough for next year as well (if I make it through this Christmas!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

They have really nice red and greenChristmassy baskets in Euro2/EuroGiant/whatever it is called for €1, they might be a bit small, but thought they might come in handy for somebody!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

RosyLily wrote: »
    Candy cane bark sounds good. Any chance of the recipe, please?

Hey RoseLily, sorry got caught up with work, and an impromptu Christmas party.

Candycane Bark Ingredients:

300g Dark chocolate 70% or higher
    400g White chocolate
    10 Candycanes
    Peppermint essence

Start by tempering the dark chocolate. I found it surprisingly easy.
    When it gets to that really smooth sheeny consistency, pour it into a foil tray, and set to one side to set. Don't put it in the fridge, moisture with ruin it.
    Crush your candycanes. I use a mortar and pestle. Just bash them up, so that there is some finer dust and some larger pieces.
    When the dark chocolate is almost set, sprinkle some of the candy cane dust and pieces over the top. It gives the white chocolate something to stick to.
    Melt the white chocolate. Don't try to temper it. When completely melted, throw in the remaining candycane pieces and dust into it, and mix it right up. Throw in some of the peppermint essence, about a teaspoon, and mix it through.
    Pour the chocolate/candycane mix over the top of the dark chocolate, and give the tray a shake get right to the edges, creating a chocolatey seal. Leave to cool, then put into the fridge to chill properly.
    Lick the bowl and spoon.
    Once completely set, take out, and push the sides of the tray out to crack that chocolatey seal, and tip out. Lift the block of chocolate bark, and hit it a bang against the counter, to get your pieces. If you've done it right, the dark and white chocolate will not separate.

It's bloody lovely, and I find a little piece goes a LONG way, and I'd have a sweet tooth that verges on criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Pour the chocolate/candycane mix over the top of the dark chocolate, and give the tray a shake get right to the edges, creating a chocolatey seal.

Chocolatey seal, you say?

51-105-large.jpg

:pac:

The candy cane bark sounds lovely.

Thanks a mill Sofiztikated! I'll give that a go over the weekend!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I'm surprised this thread hasn't started up again yet this year! Has nobody started preparing their hampers?

Haven't started hampers but I did make the Christmas cake yesterday. I used the recipe from the "Great British Bake-Off: How to Bake" book. Smelt really nice. I always go to town on the mixed spice.:p So Christmasy!

Aldi have brandy-soaked luxury mixed fruit (800g). So handy. As soon as I opened the bag- helllooooo brandy!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I kind of have - I started this year's plum liqueur some 3 weeks ago.
    Just as a test, I've added cinnamon sticks to some of the jars, I'll report how that turned out.

And I'm thinking of starting some lebkuchen soon, they usually turn out better if the dough has rested for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aaaw I love this thread! Think I only made a Christmas cake last year so this year I want to go all out! :-D

Advertisement