Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

quaalude wrote: »
    I want make this - today, it sounds great, and easy.
    But what quantity of red chilis are needed? It doesn't say! I could guess but I might get it really wrong.

Sorry for not specifying, it all depends on the kind of chilli.

At these quantities, the original recipe it was based on from years ago would call for 20 small red chillis.

I used 10 and there's a bit of chilli flavour but no real heat, which for this recipe, is how I like it.

Good luck! I recommend getting the smell if vinegar out of your house by boiling orange peels and cinnamon for a few hours afterwards. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Sorry for not specifying, it all depends on the kind of chilli.

At these quantities, the original recipe it was based on from years ago would call for 20 small red chillis.

I used 10 and there's a bit of chilli flavour but no real heat, which for this recipe, is how I like it.

Good luck! I recommend getting the smell if vinegar out of your house by boiling orange peels and cinnamon for a few hours afterwards. :)

Thanks Egg! Starting it now!

How did you get on?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

So! I sort-of decided relatively last minute to begin making stuff this year...

I'm making:
    • Chilli Vodka
    • Blueberry & Vanilla Vodka
    • Chili Jam
    • Creamy sea-salted fudge
    • Biscotti
    • Cookie Dough Truffles
    • Dark Choc truffles: Dividing the mixture in 3- plain choc coated in coconut, orange choc coated in cocoa, baileys choc coated in melted choc
    • DIY mulled wine
    • plus a selection cheeses in the hamper

So far, over the weekend, I've got the vodkas made, the jam made, the fudge and the cookie dough truffles.

Tomorrow: the biscotti & the choc truffles

Fun times! Also, I picked up these boxes in Decobake for 90c each- they're mince pie boxes (you'd easily fit 3 mince pies lengthways, and prob a second layer) but I'm going to use them a little christmassy chocolate boxes for the truffles.

MINCE-PIE-BOX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Chilli Vodka

Never heard of that. Can't say it sounds nice. :confused:

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Never heard of that. Can't say it sounds nice. :confused:

Nope, it's awful. Really, really awful. Apparently it's great in a Bloody Mary, although I'm making it extra chilli-ish.

It's not going in the hamper, it's for my brother- we usually get him something insanely hot and he boasts all the time that he can handle it. I think I've got him this year though :P it's INCREDIBLY hot, and the strong vodka taste doesn't help. It's probably going to end up a drinking game forfeit, I would imagine.

This is the recipe, except I put lots more chilli in, and I'll be leaving it mature for a week instead of a few hours.

How did you get on?? :)

Oh it went great, thanks so much! I'll post a pic later.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

I saw this thread a couple of months ago and it got me to thinking that I could do some 'personal' gifts this year.
    I started a couple of weeks ago and after three attempts at the fudge have finally given up!! I burnt the first one, the second one was really crumbly and wouldn't 'set' and the microwave fudge didn't turn out smooth as others did...it was really grainy - as if the sugar didn't dissolve - was really disappointed :-(.
    Tried the biscotti yesterday...they turned out fabulously!! Very impressed.
    Also tried the chili jam and didn't have the problem of it not setting...it set in the pot before i had a chance to pot it! Looks odd in the jar now but tastes great!
    Also made the three fruit marmalade from this thread. That is well worth the effort...not sure it'll make it as far as the christmas boxes - disappearing fast :-)
    Going to make a scone mix, lemon curd, a chocolate biscuit 'pudding' and homemade cookies decorated by the kids as well.
    Thanks a million for the ideas posters!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Done, chocolate and orange cookies, lemon shortbread and vanilla shortbread, all wrapped and ready to go for everyone :) phew now I can relax :)

nicki11 wrote: »
    Done, chocolate and orange cookies, lemon shortbread and vanilla shortbread, all wrapped and ready to go for everyone :) phew now I can relax :)

Sounds amazing!
    I'm planning on making some shortbread later - can you tell me your recipe for lemon shortbread please?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

quaalude wrote: »
    Sounds amazing!
    I'm planning on making some shortbread later - can you tell me your recipe for lemon shortbread please?
    Thanks!

It's nothing, I just added lemon essence instead of vanilla essence

nicki11 wrote: »
    It's nothing, I just added lemon essence instead of vanilla essence

Ah OK, cheers!

I made it up as I went along. This is roughly what I did.

I used 200g of dark chocolate chips and put them on a low heat with 2 cups of milk until they had completely melted and I had chocolate milk. Then I added 2 cups of double cream and a can of condensed milk, stirred well and added a pinch or two of salt to taste. I let it simmer very low for about 10 minutes, then poured through a fine mesh sieve and put it in a large tupperware box with a tight lid. I let it cool, then refrigerated overnight, and then poured in a good quantity of both amaretto and vodka, and whisked. I tasted as I went til I got the consistency and flavour I wanted. As I said, I made it up!

This should last for a few months in the fridge in clean, sealed bottles. :) I sieved it a second time while bottling.

Drink poured over ice or in hot chocolate or coffee.

I just realised I also added a can of evaporated milk to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

hamper202015_zpsguq264co.jpg[IMG][/img]hamperampcake2015_zpsn1dx3iut.jpg

done at last! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

And I'm done!! Mincemeat, lemon curd, Christmas cake, cookies, mincemeat strudel and gingerbread house. All delivered, now I get to sit down and watch Man of Steel. The gingerbread house is very haphazard and crooked but it's alright for a debut.

Merry Christmas everyone!!:)

Nope, it's awful. Really, really awful. Apparently it's great in a Bloody Mary, although I'm making it extra chilli-ish.

It's not going in the hamper, it's for my brother- we usually get him something insanely hot and he boasts all the time that he can handle it. I think I've got him this year though :P it's INCREDIBLY hot, and the strong vodka taste doesn't help. It's probably going to end up a drinking game forfeit, I would imagine.

This is the recipe, except I put lots more chilli in, and I'll be leaving it mature for a week instead of a few hours.

This went down... Weirdly well!
    I thought it would end up a forfeit for a drinking game, but it was deemed too nice and I've been commissioned to make 3 more full size bottles for my brothers.

The chilli takes the nasty vodka taste away, and its just pure liquid hot... Which is apparently very pleasant for people who like chilli. It was voted, hands down, the best gift of the day.

So, eh, if you have anyone who likes chilli, you should definitely make this for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

So is anyone making hampers this year? i have hand sewn christmas stockings to give to friends which I am going to fill with baked treats. Anyone else any plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It's not even Hallowe'en yet!!!!

(Only joking! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Lol but some chutneys need 8 weeks to mellow out so perfect time to make them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Oh i'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I have made batches of strawberry & chocolate jam, Raspberry & Champagne Jam and A Gooseberry & Coriander Chutney. The gooseberry chutney should have mellowed by now so might taste test some of that this weekend.

Other chutneys/sauces I plan on making are BBQ sauce, Nigellas Chilli jam and a red pepper & tomato chutney.

Also going to make, Mint Fudge, Peanut Brittle, Chilli lime spiced nuts and Snowman Soup (Hot chocolate mixes)

I must put a list of the ingredients i need together so i can start picking them up as otherwise it can be a big chunk all at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

ahayes84 wrote:
    Oh i'm glad to see this thread resurrected. I have made batches of strawberry & chocolate jam, Raspberry & Champagne Jam and A Gooseberry & Coriander Chutney. The gooseberry chutney should have mellowed by now so might taste test some of that this weekend.

ahayes84 wrote:
    Other chutneys/sauces I plan on making are BBQ sauce, Nigellas Chilli jam and a red pepper & tomato chutney.

ahayes84 wrote:
    Also going to make, Mint Fudge, Peanut Brittle, Chilli lime spiced nuts and Snowman Soup (Hot chocolate mixes)

ahayes84 wrote:
    I must put a list of the ingredients i need together so i can start picking them up as otherwise it can be a big chunk all at once.

I am available and happy to help with taste testing.
    Just saying. ðŸ˜

I intend making Plum Puds this weekend. Wan't wait for the aroma in kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I made mincemeat last week. I used up the last jar of it in September and it was really tasty!

I was going to do the Christmas cake but I can't find the big bag of dried fruit Gem usually do. It's so handy instead of buying bags of different fruit.

I'll probably also do lemon curd and chutney. I'd like to try something different as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I made beetroot chutney and spiced apple chutney last month but fear I've messed up the spices in the apple chutney. Im leaving it sit in the dark for another few weeks before I try some. Last year's batch was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Nigella's Chilli Jam

We made some last year. However, the recipe says to remove the seeds and I said that was too much like hard work and leaving them would make it hotter. I was right: it came out blastingly hot. We'll take the seeds out next time :) . Might look more elegant without the seeds, too. Underneath the heat, it seems excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eeeek, I'd better start buying my ingredients for the Christmas cake.....might make it next weekend cos I'll be away for the Bank Holiday weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Whats Nigellas chilli jam used for? Is it to go onto bread like other jams, or is it to go with meat, cheese, etc.?

finbarrk wrote: »
    Whats Nigellas chilli jam used for? Is it to go onto bread like other jams, or is it to go with meat, cheese, etc.?
    Although it is sweet, it is akin to a chutney, to be eaten with meats and cheeses or crispy dumplings/spring rolls. Like a sweet chilli sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Although it is sweet, it is akin to a chutney, to be eaten with meats and cheeses or crispy dumplings/spring rolls. Like a sweet chilli sauce.

Or you could just eat spoonfuls of it on its own. ;)

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Or you could just eat spoonfuls of it on its own. ;)

On a slice of nice crusty tiger bread. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement