Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Starting to feel like this thread should be moved to the Christmas forum, squished in between Christmas Baking and Christmas Crafts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dinxminx wrote: »
    Starting to feel like this thread should be moved to the Christmas forum, squished in between Christmas Baking and Christmas Crafts!

Ah no, this is all ours :)

You could simply post a link to this thread in the Christmas forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

How is the Christmas pressie making going?

I just made bbq sauce and did up some snowman soup cones(hot chocolate)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭maisiedaisy

Has anyone a recipe for chocolate truffles that don't have to be stored in the fridge? Or any thoughts/advice on storage of truffles in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Has anyone a recipe for chocolate truffles that don't have to be stored in the fridge? Or any thoughts/advice on storage of truffles in general!

Would you consider coating them with tempered chocolate? That way they can (and should) be kept at room temperature. It's a lot more hassle than plain truffles, but in my opinion it's worth it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'd be willing to give it a go! Is there a specific hard and fast rule I should follow or will google advise me best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It's easier to temper chocolate if you have a thermometer but I think there are ways to do it without one. Google will probably be helpful on that one :o

You can also just melt the chocolate but it won't be very shiny and might melt more easily, making them a little messy to eat. I must admit that if I'm not making truffles as a gift I rarely bother with tempering the chocolate.

I find two coats of chocolate much nicer than just one, but it does take a lot more time and effort... unless you recruit your friends to help you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭LucaDat

No Fridge Oreo Cookie Balls is the closest I could think of to Non-Fridge truffles... I can't imagine how it works, but apparently it is ....tasty?
    http://bakelab.blogspot.com/2011/03/oreo-balls-that-dont-need-refrigeration.html

Apple Butter is one of my wintertime favourites, but I've never made any.

I'd like to try Mocha Cashew Butter, it looks yummy
    exps41731_HFG2661989C05_30_5b.jpg
    Ingreds:
    3 cups salted cashews
    1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
    1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
    2 teaspoons water
    Additional salted cashews, optional
    Directions:
    Place cashews in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground. Add 1/4 cup butter; process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl... In a small saucepan, combine chocolate chips, coffee granules, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Stir into cashew mixture. Top with additional cashews if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/4 cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I'm thinking of making shortbread as a Christmas gift, so I have two questions; the first is whether it is a good idea for a gift and would it be appreciated? The second is if I do how close to Christmas should I make it so that it is still fresh (I was thinking of doing it next week)?

• Advertisement

It's easier to temper chocolate if you have a thermometer but I think there are ways to do it without one. Google will probably be helpful on that one :o

You can also just melt the chocolate but it won't be very shiny and might melt more easily, making them a little messy to eat. I must admit that if I'm not making truffles as a gift I rarely bother with tempering the chocolate.

I find two coats of chocolate much nicer than just one, but it does take a lot more time and effort... unless you recruit your friends to help you :D

Thanks :) I have a sugar thermometer, and they are a gift so I don't minding spending a bit of extra time on them!

nicki11 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of making shortbread as a Christmas gift, so I have two questions; the first is whether it is a good idea for a gift and would it be appreciated? The second is if I do how close to Christmas should I make it so that it is still fresh (I was thinking of doing it next week)?

Shortbread is a lovely, rare treat. Would make a thoughtful, delisch Christmas pressie... I dont know the answer to the second question :o sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

nicki11 wrote: »

In an airtight tin, and in a house where everyone's jaws are wired shut :D it should last at least a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

LucaDat wrote: »
    Shortbread is a lovely, rare treat. Would make a thoughtful, delisch Christmas pressie... I dont know the answer to the second question :o sorry
    dee_mc wrote: »
    In an airtight tin, and in a house where everyone's jaws are wired shut :D it should last at least a week.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure it was a good idea, before I made a mountain of it (like I plan to - at least 2 trays) as it went down well last year and I suggested it to my mum and she thought it would be good (but she always says that). A week is great as I will be visiting relatives all 12 days of Christmas so everyone should get some. :)

I was thinking of classic buttery vanilla and maybe coconut has anyone made coconut before as it would be a bit of an experiment. :)

Sounds lovely, make sure to keep it in a cold place - my kitchen is too warm so that kind of stuff gets kept in the draught on the stairs or in the boot of the car to prolong it's life. Mincemeat shortbread is gorgeous too, possibly a bit messy for gifting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Christmas puddings made, late I know, :o small ones for gifts, only pickled eggs left to do
    4D917EB727D44C4A976EE3BBA8505A33-0000360696-0003822039-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

E0C2CDC59FB94E238252A617B902F24D-0000360696-0003822040-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I make shortbread as the base for caramel squares, but it often gets really crumbly and makes it a pain to serve up. Any tips for preventing that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

To what extent should you be able to taste the alcohol in truffles? I put in about a 1.5 tablespoons. Batch of 50.

To what extent should you be able to taste the alcohol in truffles? I put in about a 1.5 tablespoons. Batch of 50.

I use about double that (1/4 cup) in my rum and raisin truffles and they are mild enough, just a bit of a kick on the aftertaste.
    I use about the same amount (1/4 cup) of Baileys in my Baileys truffles recipe, which makes about 60, and they're 'smack you in the face' alcoholic.
    So it very much depends on the alcohol you're using!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Anyone make a gingerbread house before? I'd like to make one this year so looking for some tips.:)

Hoping to make Nigella's chilli jelly as well. The good reviews here have convinced me!

• Advertisement

RosyLily wrote: »
    Anyone make a gingerbread house before? I'd like to make one this year so looking for some tips.:)

Hoping to make Nigella's chilli jelly as well. The good reviews here have convinced me!

I made one coulpe of years ago, from here
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4900/simple-gingerbread-house

it took a lot longer to make then I thought, and really need to keep an eye on it as it cools to trim it before it gets to hard, I filled the inside with sweets as well but the little ones loved it, :) well worth it if you have time,
    Chille jelly or jam will be a big hit, good luck with it :)

Faith wrote: »
    I make shortbread as the base for caramel squares, but it often gets really crumbly and makes it a pain to serve up. Any tips for preventing that?

I've used a shortcrust pastry , and rich tart pastry, found both works really well when you need to cut neat slices, can post recipes if you like

I made some divinity today, it didnt set well (I dont have a candy thermometer, so). Hope it firms a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

My house stinks of vinegar! But my chutneys look and taste great :) did a mango one, and a plum and apple. Chilli jam is next on my list and the pistachio fudge some day next week :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

RosyLily wrote: »

I made one before. It turned out really nice and I enjoyed making it, but it took longer than I thought. The best gingerbread tastewise is too soft for a house, so use a recipe for a structure. You lose a little on the taste, but it wont fall to bits on you.

Keep your design simple, if using the royal icing as cement for the walls, let it set completely then on the inside put another line of icing up the corner smoothing it in like you would sealant on a bath :D.

If you go on pinterest you'll get heaps of decorating ideas.

I might do a small one this year and let the toddler help decorate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've made a vat of chocolate cream liqeur. It's a little thick but wow! Amazingly delicious and potent. :)

I've made a vat of chocolate cream liqeur. It's a little thick but wow! Amazingly delicious and potent. :)

Sounds great, recipe by any chance :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

sdp wrote: »
    Sounds great, recipe by any chance :)

I made it up as I went along. This is roughly what I did.

I used 200g of dark chocolate chips and put them on a low heat with 2 cups of milk until they had completely melted and I had chocolate milk. Then I added 2 cups of double cream and a can of condensed milk, stirred well and added a pinch or two of salt to taste. I let it simmer very low for about 10 minutes, then poured through a fine mesh sieve and put it in a large tupperware box with a tight lid. I let it cool, then refrigerated overnight, and then poured in a good quantity of both amaretto and vodka, and whisked. I tasted as I went til I got the consistency and flavour I wanted. As I said, I made it up!

This should last for a few months in the fridge in clean, sealed bottles. :) I sieved it a second time while bottling.

Drink poured over ice or in hot chocolate or coffee.

Thank you Mystery Egg,
    defiantly one for the books :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The below makes about 12 of these jars - and then some. We had leftovers which we rammed into several odd jars around the kitchen.

This splashes everywhere and makes your kitchen smell strongly of vinegar! We got over this by boiling orange peel and cinnamon sticks for a couple of hours the next day. :)

Spicy Tomato Relish

4 large red onions
    10 cans tomatoes
    300g raisins
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
    juice and peel of 2 lemons (peel cut into long strips)
    4 tablespoons grated ginger
    2 tablespoons ground allspice
    4 teaspoons ground cloves
    2 tablespoons salt
    4 cups apple cider vinegar
    4 cups Sugar
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (extra)

1. Place onions in a food processor and process until finely chopped; place in a large saucepan. Open the cans of tomatoes and add to onions, along with all other ingredients, except for cornflour and extra vinegar. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 1–2 hours or until starting to thicken. Stir often to stop mixture sticking to base of pan. It will stick and burn if you don't keep a good eye on it!

3. When it has darkened and thickened, combine cornflour with extra apple cider vinegar. Add to tomato mixture and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes.Turn off heat and let stand for 10 minutes, then spoon into sterilised, warm jars and seal. Turn the jars upside down for 2 minutes, then invert and leave to cool.

I want make this - today, it sounds great, and easy.
    But what quantity of red chilis are needed? It doesn't say! I could guess but I might get it really wrong.

Advertisement