Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Mc Love wrote: »
    Football Manager is your friend!! - Seriously you wont ever have to leave the house (well only to get food and thats about it)

:D

Oh believe me mate been there done it you need to be unemployed to really get into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not too sure what's the difference between last night and tonight here in Cork but the roads are appalling. I think people should stay put wherever they are. Extremely dangerous all over Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

smokin ace wrote: »
    preparation is the key my estate is also frozen up i was not in work all last week but i am prepared for the winter i bought a bag of coal every week during the summer i currently have 15 bags i bought timber and spend one Saturday every month sawing and chopping it up i have a big shed full of sticks i have all my christmas shopping done so the kids will be happy come christmas day
    people have to be prepared for what the winter can throw at them

Really well I'll be damned. How the hell is someone supposed to get to a hospital when the roads are like this? Or a house fire?

Its bad enough so much money is being lost in this already anemic economy because of the roads but now lives are at risk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Supercell wrote: »
    What a drama queen, jeeze grow a pair!

It is a pain in the hole at this stage but damn it you need to man the heck up, or find a man if you are a girl!

This event will probably be rain in Dublin CC and snow maybe out by Lucan/Tallafornia/Blanch and inland Wicklow as usual.
    I for one would welcome the rain, , I spent about an hour cleaning the frozen crap off my car this afternoon so i can get to work tomorrow morning. It is beautiful though and its not the end of the world .

I'm afraid the rain would be 100 times worse, surely you know any rain will freeze instantly. I'd say people should either pray for dry or snow because rain will be lethal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

francie81 wrote: »
    Venting my opinion as I believe thats the logic of!

Ok everybody has there own opinion.

Here's mine!

The weather forum is place were you can see up coming weather predictions and annalyise's on major weather event's just like the one we had last week. I for one am greatfull for people's info on a day to day basis has it's vital for my job.

So i don't need to get a life, it's part of my life. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Is there a prayer for anything but rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    but Castlebar is quite close to the coast too ,infact a lot further west than me and Irish!

yes but given the passage of the front is from north to south and you are near the coast, it travels overless land before you encounter it, this and the greater snow field depths further south will also help tip the balance.
    Also in Castlebar, given the wind direction is progged to be on land , it shouldn't be pulling in much maritime air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Really well I'll be damned. How the hell is someone supposed to get to a hospital when the roads are like this? Or a house fire?

Its bad enough so much money is being lost in this already anemic economy because of the roads but now lives are at risk too.

where do you live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

duckysauce wrote: »
    where do you live ?
    She lives in Mayo which isn't that bad based on reports I have heard, not sure what she is been dramatic or lives at a very high elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    People, this rain event tomorrow will fall on well frozen ground.

It will be feckin lethal. Much of the country , Ulster excepted, will be a bloody skating rink by tomorrow afternoon :.

It is already like that In Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Villain wrote: »
    which isn't that bad based on reports I have heard, .

Its VERY bad.. All roads are around me like a skating rink, Not from frozen snow but ice, rain has fallen and frozen straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i for one would love to see more heavy snow falls i was entertained and learned so much by the snow watch boardies last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

She lives in Mayo which isn't that bad based on reports I have heard, not sure what she is been dramatic or lives at a very high elevation.

i drove from leitrim to westport yesterday , the roads were not great , but they weren't overly bad either black ice in parts , croagh patrick was covered in snow, can't really see the oil trucks making it up there for a while.

i drove from leitrim to westport yesterday , the roads were not great , but they weren't overly bad either black ice in parts , croagh patrick was covered in snow, can't really see the oil trucks making it up there for a while.
    Few mates of mine climbed croagh patrick today photos small amount of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I live in Westport, and today the roads are particularly bad - it's essentially an ice rink out there.

Being close to the sea the temps warmed up quite a bit, leaving water everywhere that froze over last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Few mates of mine climbed croagh patrick today photos small amount of snow.

there must have been a rapid thaw over the weekend so, because a few days ago there was quite a bit of snow on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

The Hirlam precipitation model at 11am.

prec_nordeuro-17.gif

2pm

prec_nordeuro-20.gif

and 5pm.

prec_nordeuro-23.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

there is a simple way to get over oil trucks not reaching anybodys house get a friendly farmer with a tractor or some one with a 4 wheel drive jeep and go to the local oil depo a fill up 5 gallon cans with oil and then empty the oil into the oil heating tank simple

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Less of the condescencion perhaps, or do you think aa roadwatch has this up all day for the fun of it ?
    *MAYO* Gardai strongly advise motorists against travel on N5 Westport/Swinford Rd and N26 Castlebar/Ballina Rd due to black ice.

These would be national roads, so no guessing what minor roads are like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Because I was not prepared for MONTH Of this or for such an inept county council that doesnt grit roads. I am well used to harsher winters than this coming from the NE US but the incompetence of this country to take care of the roads and the safety of their citizens is really monumentally awful.

Event the taxis arent running. Last year the ambulences werent running.

Im fine for oil but eventually people wont be.

No one cant get here. I would not ask anyone to risk their lives on the ice rink. The neighbors even put up a road block because two cars got into accidents this morning.

Going by this and your numerous other posts in this thread, perhaps you would be happer back in the good ole US of A! :):D

• Advertisement

there must have been a rapid thaw over the weekend so, because a few days there was quite a bit of snow on it.

croaghpatrick.jpg

Thats from today

Avns1s wrote: »
    Going by this and your numerous other posts in this thread, perhaps you would be happer back in the good ole US of A! :):D

I sure would.

You gonna drive me to the airport? Because I sure as hell cant get there. :)

peasant wrote: »
    Less of the condescencion perhaps, or do you think aa roadwatch has this up all day for the fun of it ?

These would be national roads, so no guessing what minor roads are like

Not trying to be condescending at all, in fact if she was local I would have offered to help.

As you can see from photo I attached above some mates are in that area and said it wasn't that bad :confused:

Last night totally different to what I woke up to today. Two accidents on the road outside my estate between 9 and 11 am and about half a dozen cars belong to people on my estate abandoned on the side of the road.

@ Villian. Thanks for the offer of help, I dont need any help at present but when I saw this would go on for a week then I start to worry. Also I wouldnt ask anyone to come up to my estate because the road outside it is lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Really not looking forward to trying to get up and down to Dublin this week looking at the forecasts, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    The Hirlam precipitation model at 11am.

prec_nordeuro-17.gif

2pm

prec_nordeuro-20.gif

and 5pm.

prec_nordeuro-23.gif

Looking at these charts a lot of the county is fcuked no matter what falls from the skys tomorrow.

The options here in Donegal are:

We get 5-6 hours of snow and we cant move for a few days. It will look very picturesque and with all that snow we might have a chance to walk without breaking our necks.

or

It pisses rain for hours and then freezes solid... it will mean an extreme ice event tomorrow night and no one will be able to move.

Either way folks its a case of taking another deep breath and taking what comes... Enjoy whatever comes at ya... life is too short to worry about not getting outta the house for a few days.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

looking forward to the snow tomorrow!

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Ok everybody has there own opinion.

Here's mine!

The weather forum is place were you can see up coming weather predictions and annalyise's on major weather event's just like the one we had last week. I for one am greatfull for people's info on a day to day basis has it's vital for my job.

So i don't need to get a life, it's part of my life. Thank you.

Did I tell you to get a life specifically? No am referring to people who would rather sit at home on the great irish welfare system and give out about this/that and without trying to stereotype here but this is the kind of disgusting era that surrounds us. Fairplay to ya your doing something constructive I admire that but next time think before you make an assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Just reading the last few pages, when did this become the 'lets whinge about the weather thread'. Its probably the most pointless thing you can do since nobody has any control over it, just deal with it and get on with it like everyone else.

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Just reading the last few pages, when did this become the 'lets whinge about the weather thread'. Its probably the most pointless thing you can do since nobody has any control over it, just deal with it and get on with it like everyone else.

Am not whinging its a good valid point and am sorry if the truth hurts but am still talking weather here. I should have just said all this bad weather puts pay to my activities and I ain't happy whats soo wrong with that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement