Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The heaviest precip is well out at sea still, so I wouldnt worry about how light the snowfall is now.

This is the usual pattern with warm fronts, it's a very slow and gradual build up. Not sudden like cold fronts or showers.

3hr-rain.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

will the temp rise enough tomorrow to have rain in galway rather than aload of snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The heaviest precip is well out at sea still, so I wouldnt worry about how light the snowfall is now.

This is the usual pattern with warm fronts, it's a very slow and gradual build up. Not sudden like cold fronts or showers.

3hr-rain.gif

So maq you still think it will be rain in Waterford????

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Greedy or what!

It has just stopped snowing after near 48 hours continuous and you want more?? :D

I live in D8 and at most we have about a foot of snow.. plus i do think some extra would make driving a little easier for the morning, right now it looks scary as hell.. they haven't grit the roads since much earlier and it's like an ice rink out there.. like at least an inch thick layer covering the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Never seen anything like it today. Snowed pretty much all day here (D6) and got really heavy around 4....and kept going like that until about 7. Walked all the way along the Luas tracks into town with hundreds of people walking the other way. 12 inches of snow on the car now and much deeper drifts in places.

• Advertisement

So maq you still think it will be rain in Waterford????

Too early to say. The rise in the 850 temps on the models in the southwest and south is what makes me think it could fall as rain in those places. It's a bit of a nowcast situation. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm off guys, hope to wake up to a fresh fall of snow in the morning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

14 sites on the IWN in negative double figures . . :eek:

IWN

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Hey Guys,

Need to drive from Shankill to the Airport at about 7am - would it be better staying in bed do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

just on a side note,showers moving away are beefing up in irish sea,isle of man going get hit
    where is our isle of man poster
    we'll for give you (for now)for your shadow :D
    let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 novemberbravo

DUBACC wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Need to drive from Shankill to the Airport at about 7am - would it be better staying in bed do you reckon?

Depend if we get this early morning snow MET are promising I guess . At least you only need to take the M50 and no backroads !

Does anyone in Galway have snow because i dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Depend if we get this early morning snow MET are promising I guess . At least you only need to take the M50 and no backroads !

Yeh true. Cant believe it's after 2am and still on this site! Who'd have thought it this time last week! :D We escaped most of the heavy stuff today unfortunately in Shankill but got a good few showers at 9pm.

Each day is merging into the next - no idea what day it is! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Yeees! allbeit light at the moment but looks promising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

nothing in the city centre anyway

sillybird wrote: »
    Yeees! allbeit light at the moment but looks promising :)

What part are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sleep in 4 mins once the 2am temp reports are in! Night everyone!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What sort of temperatures would it take for the snow in Dublin to melt? Something in excess of 3 degrees?

In England in January, an almighty 24 hour snowfall on the Wednesday was all melted by Saturday with about 7 degrees temp.

Corofin, approx 20 km NE of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Clouds over Tralee now...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Clouds over Tralee now...

:eek:*Hides under bed*

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Anything in Galway yet? It should be right over there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

just looking at this and if you tune the time to 3-4 o clock. the white thing will cover the whole country! So does that mean snow everywhere?
    The one that caused dublin to snow all day one is smaller. This one is quite big..24 hour snow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

no snow in athlone anyway and we probably won't get anymore :(

paddymc1 wrote: »

Yep, we have light snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Can any one tell me will there be any snow in the Carlow/Kilkenny region over the next 12-18 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

paddymc1 wrote: »

Hope there be bigger flakes for you soon. :D:D
    Looking at Dingle it seems to covered any body on here from Dingle?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I really hope this snow stops soon, the novelty has worn off for me now and I need to go food shopping ASAP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

beautiful, crisp, icey cold night in Tallaght the stars are something to look at.
    is there any chance of more snow in Dublin tonight my Dad and Sister are anxious bout getting to work tomorrow

• Advertisement

123balltv wrote: »
    beautiful, crisp, icey cold night in Tallaght the stars are something to look at.
    is there any chance of more snow in Dublin tonight my Dad and Sister are anxious bout getting to work tomorrow

Tonight no, not until the morning at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement