Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

baraca wrote: »
    right think ill head to bed, About what time will i set my alarm for? I'm thinking about 7 or 8 for the east coast??

circa 10am i would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

No precip in Castlebar Co.Mayo...rang a friend in Ballina also and he said there is no snow falling in Ballina, Co.Mayo...no precip falling either for that matter..Temps are still down here and D.P still around -3....

Maybe this front could be quite a weak affair then? Looking at sat24.com it appears well in over the west at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Does anyone know if this 'front' that will be passing over the country will be fast moving ie: how long would precipitation last in a given area :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

circa 10am i would say.

That's good. Allows me time to get to work and then hopefully be sent home if we get more snow:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

iancw wrote: »

Whats your record from last winter again Villain ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm hoping to go to Munich on Wednesday. I go every year at this time with a good friend. One of the things we love about our trip is the snow. Seeing lovely fluffy snow before Christmas is a real novelty. Not ANYMORE !! I bet our snow will beat the German snow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Cool!

Wasn't expecting to hear snow reports for donegal or mayo - this is looking a bit better than I thought (for us in the south)

Vanentia seems to be holding its own at -3 (and shannon airport is a chilly -7)

Don't like the fact that mace head and belmullet are both at +4 degrees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

CORK:
    Temperature:
    -3°C

DewPoint

-6°C ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-17.7c was record in January,

It's dropping so fast it's crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

- 9 kilkenny,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What about Tralee guys? Will it snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Maybe this front could be quite a weak affair then? Looking at sat24.com it appears well in over the west at this stage.

Your seeing high level outlying cloud associated with the front. Its blocking the snow making stuff.
    Look at the slightly "greyer" stuff just behind and below the same colour as the Irish sea streamers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Don't focus on the light grey, it's what's underneath and what's following.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Just for comparison. Last Jan. and Dec. yesterday. Thats the best image of last years spell I could obtain.

compbe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

-8 now here in kilcoole, getting kind of cloudy again but a very still night otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Villain wrote: »

Your previous post and sig were kind of contradicting eacho other by a degree!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

-9.0 in Ashbourne, which is the lowest I've seen this week. Comes at the end of the day which saw over 6 inches of snow between 03:00 and 09:00.

We've been here 20 years, and I don't think i've ever seen as much snow in this area, and for sure nothing this early before. I've seen more, but not in Ireland.

The front coming in from the North West could indeed be interesting, in the South West of England in 1975, we had a similar scenario, a front came in off the Atlantic on to cold air, and dumped over 2 Ft of snow on Somerset overnight.

Got stalled around Salisbury, and then pushed back 24 hours later, and it dropped the same quantity again. The difference was that in 75, it came in from the South West, so the air behind the front was warmer and wetter as a result, cold air can't carry the same quantity of water vapour as cold air,

My car was only visible by virtue of the huge mound on the roof, but other than that it was completely covered, and one of the 2 house external doors which was in a corner was completely covered with snow, when we opened the door, the snow was about 1 Foot above the top of the door. Outside the dining room window was a road, no pavement, and under the window, we could see tarmac. Between us and the house opposite, which was about 15 Ft away, there was a drift of snow 6 Ft deep. The army ended up being called in to help clear roads and the like, to get things moving again, took about a week to get the roads open again.

So, for all the people hoping for more, there is for sure hope of more, and in places that so far have seen none or very little.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 iancw

-17 we had last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

-13 in enfield :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Villain wrote: »

It dropped four degrees from -8 to -4 from 22:00 to 24:00 hrs but in past 15 mins has dropped again to -5c:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

SnowY32 wrote: »
    CORK:
    Temperature:
    -3°C

DewPoint

-6°C ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Your previous post and sig were kind of contradicting eacho other by a degree!!!
    Yep sig doesn't get updated as quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

soccerc wrote: »
    It dropped four degrees from -8 to -4 from 22:00 to 24:00 hrs but in past 15 mins has dropped again to -5c:confused:

that's the front coming from the west JB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

that's the front coming from the west JB :D
    Well done JMG;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 iancw

at 9pm in Carlow it was -4, its now 00.59 and its -12.9

soccerc wrote: »
    Well done JMG;)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

my iphone is saying -7.5. The nra is sayig -.2. Thats a big margin of error !!!! anyways its baltic. Kids are sick & all have temps so i knocked the heating off for a bit.. Im now shivering, they are sweating, the dogs in heat & im so backlogged with orders ive a few hours ahead of me now trying to catch up. POX !

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

anyone here able to report from galway?? the met.ie radar has quite a nice blue/yellowish blob hitting the west of the county at the mo....just wondering if it's wet or white!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

nothing yet in Galway still waiting

• Advertisement

interesting from the NRA

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

NEWBRIDGE BYPASS -11.4

INTERESTING WHAT THAT BECOMES WHEN IT UPDATES WITH IT'S 1AM TEMP.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement