Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

For the dudes who post here on the regular how long can we expect this to last - I realize weather forecasting is a 1-2 business but just hoping for some basic insight into whether we're in this long haul or not as I have a flight next Monday for a family wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I don't wish to alarm anyone, but the streamer on raintoday is moving away from Ireland altogether.

Was never meant to move in this evening.

What part? City or county? Callan only showing up as -5

Out near thomastown - near mt. juliet, its an extremely cold location on frosty calm nights, a typical ''frost hollow'' effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't wish to alarm anyone, but the streamer on raintoday is moving away from Ireland altogether.

It is the precipitation approaching from the West which is the feature tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

byrneno7 wrote: »
    Nope, GFS has that forecast.

137877.png

That's the tmin.
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    Up to 0 now in Balina and Westport, not good either. All my hopes are in the cooling effect of snowed in Connemara!

DP's still at -3 tho and air is dry, so that can still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Still not sure if I should chance driving to Limerick in the morning, may have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Then I am no longer alarmed!! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

just measured -14.3 outside Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well considering it's bigger brother is on its way from the west i expect it would run

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Hmmm...waiting to see more snow...on conf call til 1 so need some cheery news to keep me awake!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Hehe theres a littla Micra underneath this mound. Location is Glenview in Tallaght.

155218_466149658332_658828332_5848071_1777758_n.jpg

Are you sure !!!!

Some cunning thieves may have stolen it & left a small pile of cardboard boxes to fool you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

There will not be snow in the West or south west..more like sleet. However there will be plenty of snow in the midlands, North and East in particular even on the coast. Cork City/Limerick will get sleet I would imagine..Dublin lots of snow as usual.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Are you sure !!!!

Some cunning thieves may have stolen it & left a small pile of cardboard boxes to fool you :eek:

cc93893f3530f4e8cf9a6364cdced490-orig

hope they move them soon :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

DAMN busses.....yesterday i had to walk home in the snow from the ilac centre with a bag of shopping in one hand and a heavy wooden toilet seat in the other..........took me 2 hours...........waited at the bus stop for 20 minutes till some guy walking by said a driver told him the buses were off............dreadful.........absolutely dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What part? City or county? Callan only showing up as -5

Thurles is -4 now.

can't believe that other reading from KK = -12.
    sounds far too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Are you sure !!!!

Either way its time they called this guy....

mr_plow_jacket.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not wrote: »
    But be careful of carbon monoxide, etc. build up if you're sitting in it with the engine running and the the exhaust is snowed under (a peice of advice from '82).

and how do you reckon the CO would get into the cabin if the only hole in the exhaust is outside at the back of the car? I could agree there would be some risk if your exhaust was leaking badly near an air vent but I can't see any risk otherwise. I suspect the worst that would happen is your engine would splutter to a halt if the blockage was tight enough.

BTW -6 in Carlow an hour ago, now -8 according to met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Confirmed -10 in Newbridge and Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

rayquinn1 wrote: »
    just measured -14.3 outside Navan

What's the record for Ireland ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

denballs wrote: »
    DAMN busses.....yesterday i had to walk home in the snow from the ilac centre with a bag of shopping in one hand and a heavy wooden toilet seat in the other..........took me 2 hours...........waited at the bus stop for 20 minutes till some guy walking by said a driver told him the buses were off............dreadful.........absolutely dreadful.

customer.service@dublinbus.ie is where you need to go, not weather@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

hinault wrote: »
    Thurles is -4 now.

can't believe that other reading from KK = -12.
    sounds far too low.

-10 to -11 on m4 between maynooth & kilcock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The edge of that front just coming into radar view now...

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Temp steadily rising since 22:00 when it was -8c, it's now -4.5c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

First band of ???? reaching Connemara from the west:
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Dang, no sleep for me for the next 2 hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just went out the back for a smoke, the fcukin cold just sticks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Is navan the coldest town tonight so far? -14.3:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

bassy wrote: »
    What's the record for Ireland ?.

Ireland−19.1 °C Markree Castle, County Sligo 16-01 1881

according to wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

One thing to add, Went out for a smoke andf fuc* me is it cold out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I think he's had one too many....
    137892.jpg

137893.jpg

137894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

-11 in Kilcullen

Every hour or so the faint THUD of a 6' sheet of snow can be heard falling off the roof of a nearby house. Sky cable got pulled down earlier when our finally went. Sky had obviously run it along the gutter! Also seen neighbors gutters ripped off when the sheets let loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

denballs wrote: »

Like to see u drive the buses haha...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement