Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

Now we require info from our friends in the noth west/west area for regular updates. Donegal and Mayo people over to you?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The change in wind direction is very evident now.

This is like the sequel to a film, good be good or bad.

* INSERTS JAWS THEME HERE *
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A foot on the ground in the local fields:eek:

Snow turning to dust now with the freeze, one tree has fallen down under the weight nearby.

Amazing stuff.

Don't know how people are still driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nanu nanu wrote: »
    Now we require info from our friends in the noth west/west area for regular updates. Donegal and Mayo people over to you?????

your mission if you choose to accept it.:p

this better bring snow. although leave dublin alone for a couple of days, they have plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sunbabe08 wrote: »

this better bring snow. although leave dublin alone for a couple of days, they have plenty.
    Not true, it's nearly gone!

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Woops my bad :P
    Yeh actually gonna try do that, dont know how to do the roof tho :(

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-Igloo

BAM!... SORTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Down in clare not really expecting anything much for two hours, would I be right?
    Was out for a walk there a few mins ago. Its cold. The temps seem to be rising on the coast of mayo though (IWN) does this mean rain? I hope not :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

I think JS had the right idea, it may indeed play out that rain will fall very close to the coast, either freezing rain (by the met definition) or a very cold rain that has the same effect (at 0-1 C) will fall on some areas just inland, and places like Galway and Cork might be among them ... then it would probably be more snow a few miles further inland. We're going to have to wait to see how it sets up but in theory you would expect the snow to be dominant anywhere 10-20 kms inland, and/or anywhere above 50m elevation. The freezing rain (may be more like freezing drizzle or sleet) would be most likely between there and outer headlands where straight rain might fall. You might expect temps to reach about 3-4 C at places like Mace Head and Roches Point, about 1-2 C at places like Cork and Wexford, and 0-1 C at most other locations but snow could continue inland despite that temperature rise. Some places may get quite a mixture. I wouldn't rate this as an easy forecast either, the system is weak, it could form a wave on the way in, and the deep snow cover will play a role.

Thanks!
    My hope for Galway is that the precip comes from NW or N, so it will have to travel above land and very cold air, so in this case Galway would not "function" as a coastal city maybe?
    Also, my place is at 20+ m asl, my workplace is about 40-45. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kenmc wrote: »

Heh, depends where you are I guess! Good foot and a half here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Main roads actually aren't that bad, my journey from Meath to south Dublin was quite an easy one, alot of roads have been ploughed. The problem is finding somewhere to park out of the ploughed bit of road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

wow nearly 2ft of snow gone?? really, that was a very fast thaw:p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toobeyshaw

Read the thermometer outside about 25mins ago and it was -3, my iPhone app says it's now -5! Although it mightn't be quite accurate. That's in Parkwest/ballyfermot, no snow since 5pm but loads fell today.

I didn't go to work today but have to try tomorrow so I'm really hoping the trains and luas are running otherwise I'm stuck! It's the thoughts of trying to get home if it snows again that I really dread and being 8 months pregnant means walking home from town is not an option. Eek!

Fingers crossed for you that everything is running tomorrow, look after yourself with all of the ice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

a lot of people must have taken the day off today rush hour wasn't as bad as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Judge for yourself on the '82 v '10 debate.. technology has moved on a bit since then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Dear God 5 young men trapped in cars near sally gap mountain rescue on way better not be sightseers getting those poor volunteers out on a night like this. Every time there is bad weather people looking for good views get stuck up there

Heh, depends where you are I guess! Good foot and a half here! :D

that's what I said, nearly gone! need more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

a1m1m1o1 wrote: »

Were **** now :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Definitely a good day to work from home!

Pics from Clontarf, Dublin.
    No snow at the moment but has gotten a lot colder!
    picture.php?albumid=1483&pictureid=8017

picture.php?albumid=1483&pictureid=8018

picture.php?albumid=1483&pictureid=8016

Edit: Yikes, sorry about the size there folks!!
    S.

wow nearly 2ft of snow gone?? really, that was a very fast thaw:p
    well when I said "nearly gone" I really meant that not enough had arrived in the first place, and we need more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think JS had the right idea, it may indeed play out that rain will fall very close to the coast, either freezing rain (by the met definition) or a very cold rain that has the same effect (at 0-1 C) will fall on some areas just inland, and places like Galway and Cork might be among them .

Of course MT on the flip side esp for Cork is a blasting Easterly off our coast has significantly lowered sea temps. This may just tip things in our favour. I think we should know by early morning what's happening because if it does snow in Galway with an onshore wind, then I see no reason why Cork cant get snow. Also ppn predictions do show the heaviest ppn over the South which will also help. Either way for Cork fans something to look forward to rather than dry:)
    My punt is freezing rain in Cork turning to snow as winds veer more West an dangerous roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

daisling wrote: »
    Dear God 5 young men trapped in cars near sally gap mountain rescue on way better not be sightseers getting those poor volunteers out on a night like this. Every time there is bad weather people looking for good views get stuck up there

If they are idiot sightseers they should get a huge bill from the rescue services

daisling wrote: »

Where ya hearing this?......... probably some lads off the winter sports forum ha:rolleyes:

aido 1976 wrote: »
    If they are idiot sightseers they should get a huge bill from the rescue services
    and a shovel.
    and maybe a copy of "On the origin of the species". If they can read of course, else it's a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Where ya hearing this?......... probably some lads off the winter sports forum ha:rolleyes:

rte2 news

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just a reminder to people with cars buried in snow-start the engine as the cold can kill a battery.Not good when the snow clears and you can't get your car started.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

and a shovel.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

To be or not to be? That is the question. Right?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

just on rte news on 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Down to -6 at Dublin Airport, -10 in Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Steopo wrote: »
    Judge for yourself on the '82 v '10 debate.. technology has moved on a bit since then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc&feature=related

Three feet here in 82, only 1 foot here now. no camparison. Yet. Dispite my moaning of too much snow out there atm, it's that that keeps me on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement