Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

highdef wrote: »
    -10.9c here now. in other news, a swallow has decided to bed down just outside the front door. The poor thing must not have got to move to Africa for some reason. It's in the corner on the ground. Does anyone have any advice of what we could do to help? I'm sure the poor thing will freeze to death with the temps so low. We've managed to get a scarf half covering it. Currently thinking about putting it into a basket normally used for holding briquettes and putting a blanket over it and keeping it in the very warm house for the night. Would this be a good idea or would the scarf do the job, considering it has now just hit -11?!?!? Sorry for being off topic but I really want to help this poor bird :(

I know it's not injured per se but this site has some excellent advice on handling wild birds.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/injuredbirds.aspx

And another one.

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-Injured-Wild-Bird-That-Cannot-Fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

-10.9c here now. in other news, a swallow has decided to bed down just outside the front door. The poor thing must not have got to move to Africa for some reason. It's in the corner on the ground. Does anyone have any advice of what we could do to help? I'm sure the poor thing will freeze to death with the temps so low. We've managed to get a scarf half covering it. Currently thinking about putting it into a basket normally used for holding briquettes and putting a blanket over it and keeping it in the very warm house for the night. Would this be a good idea or would the scarf do the job, considering it has now just hit -11?!?!? Sorry for being off topic but I really want to help this poor bird :(

Sorry for off topic post ...

google - wild swallow injured

lots of stuff comes up to advise you... good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Do you think the weather will still be bad enough in west Dublin for schools to be closed by Tuesday?
    Exam? Or detention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Now -11.0 in my lovely frost hollow . . .hoep the pipe insulation is up to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Agent_47 wrote: »
    It is, only the NRA don't appear to be doing it!

Private companies are using JCB and Tractors with plough attachments sucessfully. Travel the M3 and you wonder where the NRA ploughs are, travel into Navan and one wonders why the council aren't clued in.
    No wonder the coutry is in the condition it is and wasting the bloody salt on the loose fluffy stuff. Ploughs would be far better in the first instance.

Our Tesco shop is the same ha, but they do short runs to put the snow just to the side . Kinda making lanes out of it all ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

joes girls wrote: »
    Ah but the THUNDERSNOW made me think of everyone on here:P lost interest now, they not talkin about the snow anymore!:)

That's ok, you're forgiven :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

If it does rain in the South tomorrow it could be lethal.
    People will assume all is fine, yet the ground will certainly not have had the time to warm up. Freezing rain at rush hour or will it be snow?
    I'm starting to think that rain would cause even more chaos!
    The Irish Met should be alive to this and should have warned tonigh that rain would likely freeze on impact

This is my biggest fear for Galway for the morning too. I have already decided to take my laptop home and work from here the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

kenmc wrote: »
    Exam? Or detention?

Just normal classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Cicero wrote: »
    Tonight, in the sky, I saw about 5/6 orange lights - they looked like orange flares..possibly tied to balloons but it was too dark to see ...they were very strong and bright but grew dimmer over about 30 seconds...any idea are these some type of weather things ?

probably sky lanterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is it possible that this front coming from the north could turn to heavy snow in Waterford as it moves southward?

Theres a sense down here that we've seen the end of the snow for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

No more snow in Clondalkin. Hasn't snowed in ages, sky looks pretty clear. Kind of sad at prospect of this all ending now :( Is it just me or was this year's fall a lot of fun? Last year's was a MAJOR inconvenience.

Maybe thats just me though - during last year's snow I was having to make daily visits to my dad in hospital - this year I've just been drinking tea, making snowmen and missing work!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

Tonight, in the sky, I saw about 5/6 orange lights - they looked like orange flares..possibly tied to balloons but it was too dark to see ...they were very strong and bright but grew dimmer over about 30 seconds...any idea are these some type of weather things ?

Cicero-sounds more like someone lit a few chinese lanterns! Maybe it is weather stuff but 6 of them sounds more like Lanterns.

Sorry for the off topic post earlier lads, didnt realise! Ignore it!

Al

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm thinking rain for ourselves and Cork tomorrow morning from this front.
    What you reckon? I think the winds will turn south westerly for us.

I was thinking rain but then i read MTs latest update and he has convinced me we are going to get dumped on. Also Jean said snow so lets hope they are right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

Wow....look at this for an amazing picture!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11901718

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

If he can eat egg it really helps (raw). I think its the yolk of the egg that really helps in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

/rant on

I was enjoying all this snow, until I came home from work in Meath (where the sun shone most of the day) this evening to find the fr|ggin North Pole had exploded and walls of snow everywhere.

Apart from not even getting the fun of seeing it snowing, I come back to find there's nowhere to park the car other than in the middle of the road, so it was out with shovel to dig through a whole foot of snow to create a parking space at the side of the road - which is painful with a bad back. And thats dispite digging away the snow at the side of the road yesterday evening in the expectation that that would result in access to the driveway being maintained for the rest of the cold snap. Now I really wish the snow would just f off. There's just too much of it.

/rant off

However, if there are people who are enjoying it , I have no problem with that:) And there is still a part of me screaming more more more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

surely the front coming from the northwest is hitting shockingly cold air, it cannot be rain...maybe if it came from the south west maybe but not the north west....:rolleyes:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I always see huskys up the field and i seen a good few up there yesterday, probably seen you up there :)
    Hopefully like today i woke up and the place was covered in snow, id say i have a good 4-5 inches of snow in parts of my garden, madness!
    Wanted to build an igloo today, but then anytime we built something it got smashed up so didnt bother!
    Id say this weather forum will be empty when the snow stops :P

My dog aint no husky!! , he's an Alaskan MALAMUTE!, there much different apart from colour to huskies... their calmer and more loyal and friendly!
    Haha , im thinking of building one 2!, best thing to use is a plastic container box, to make the bricks from!
    And ye, mite get pop into work in the morning to buy some tennis rackets :)... and no its not empty when the snow isnt here, theres always something to talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

joes girls wrote: »

My new lil friend:)

AWWWWWWWWWWW I looove your new friend!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Trotter wrote: »
    Is it possible that this front coming from the north could turn to heavy snow in Waterford as it moves southward?

Theres a sense down here that we've seen the end of the snow for now.

Met Eireann seem to think it will still fall as snow down in the southeast. I think it will be risky for Waterford though. I'd expect rain/sleet myself. Should get a good idea as the front starts to cross the country late tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

ok need opinion living near blessington, son has hospital appointment on monday morning at 9.30. Need to decide if we will be able to make it so i can call first thing. Car not running so will have to hike 1.5 miles and get dublin bus at 8.15 given temps forecast for sunday night do you think the bus will be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

that sat image posted a few pages back is amazing! it's really interesting to watch and see how the front gains strength and slightly changes direction....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

The change in wind direction is very evident now.

This is like the sequel to a film, good be good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

rsom wrote: »
    Wow....look at this for an amazing picture!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11901718

WOW that is a great shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Met Eireann seem to think it will still fall as snow down in the southeast. I think it will be risky for Waterford though. I'd expect rain/sleet myself. Should get a good idea as the front starts to cross the country late tonight.

Cool.. I'll call back in the mornin so :)

We've our first baby due in 3 weeks so Im keeping an eye on the driving conditions in case I need to drive the boss to the hospital!

*YAWN* CHINESE LANTERNS " *YAWN* ha... " theres at least one person a day asking that on the astronomy forum ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

nanu nanu wrote: »
    WOW that is a great shot

there is another one similar in AH..cool vids and pics

great one too

EDIT: 00ps maybe its the exact same.. sorry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

That satalite photo was great the first time we saw it about 1000 posts ago...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think JS had the right idea, it may indeed play out that rain will fall very close to the coast, either freezing rain (by the met definition) or a very cold rain that has the same effect (at 0-1 C) will fall on some areas just inland, and places like Galway and Cork might be among them ... then it would probably be more snow a few miles further inland. We're going to have to wait to see how it sets up but in theory you would expect the snow to be dominant anywhere 10-20 kms inland, and/or anywhere above 50m elevation. The freezing rain (may be more like freezing drizzle or sleet) would be most likely between there and outer headlands where straight rain might fall. You might expect temps to reach about 3-4 C at places like Mace Head and Roches Point, about 1-2 C at places like Cork and Wexford, and 0-1 C at most other locations but snow could continue inland despite that temperature rise. Some places may get quite a mixture. I wouldn't rate this as an easy forecast either, the system is weak, it could form a wave on the way in, and the deep snow cover will play a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Iancar29 wrote: »
    My dog aint no husky!! , he's an Alaskan MALAMUTE!, there much different apart from colour to huskies... their calmer and more loyal and friendly!
    Haha , im thinking of building one 2!, best thing to use is a plastic container box, to make the bricks from!
    And ye, mite get pop into work in the morning to buy some tennis rackets :)... and no its not empty when the snow isnt here, theres always something to talk about!

Woops my bad :P
    Yeh actually gonna try do that, dont know how to do the roof tho :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement