Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

There's a copy of Okami in the big oxfam of parnell street for 3 or 4 euro if anyone's interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm thinking of getting the Raspberry Pi for a while now. Going to get two, one to make an emulation machine and another to mess around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting the Raspberry Pi for a while now. Going to get two, one to make an emulation machine and another to mess around with.

I want to get a few myself. Trying to figure out the best way to get a bunch of them. It's only 1 per person/address/credit card number for the first batch of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What can it handle emulation wise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's got a 700 mhz ARM CPU so pretty much anything up to PS1/N64, saturn needs a bit more grunt. An older version of mame would also run nicely on it. Lots of emulators for linux as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm working on a port of MAME at the moment on the Rasp Pi virtual machine.
    It'll run MAME well once its working properly but might have issues with the newer larger roms. So classic games are fine anyway.

The CPU isnt great on it but you want to get the GPU involved as that's where the power lies in this thing(XBMC wouldn't run well without GPU support). Bad news for the MAME emulator as that's very much CPU dependant.

And don't forget this is an ARM Linux machine and you need to work from emulators that support the old ARM systems as that whats in this. The emulators you see in lots of repos are for different architectures(generally).

Either way this is a tech tinkerers dream :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

megaten wrote: »
    There's a copy of Okami in the big oxfam of parnell street for 3 or 4 euro if anyone's interested.

I swear if any of you even attempt to buy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

It's got a 700 mhz ARM CPU so pretty much anything up to PS1/N64, saturn needs a bit more grunt. An older version of mame would also run nicely on it. Lots of emulators for linux as well.

Ps1 will require a significant amount of work. Notaz is making a great ps1 emulator for pandora but it relies on a specific instruction set that I don't think arm11 has. That said he did release a version of it for caanoo(which run on a 500mhz arm9) with the more advanced stuff removed and it could still play most 2D games very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picture it, a PSone with the screen, gutted and with a Raspberry Pi and using the cd-rom drive to load Saturn/PS/what ever game disks you might have into an emu, maybe it autodetects the disk type and loads the appropriate emu, playing through the screen and speakers, input from the PS controller...
    Possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Got few to shift, bare consoles only. With soldered region free bios chip - meaning no more switches and flashing bios every time to change region.

http://www.adverts.ie/1305283

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    We used to use Mac Classic's at school. Oh God I'm so old. :(

Go again, we had a computer room filled with green screened Apple IIe's!

Just the way to prepare young minds for the sophistication of the information age...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It was Grannys Garden in my day!

gg_ravenbig.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Go again, we had a computer room filled with green screened Apple IIe's!

Just the way to prepare young minds for the sophistication of the information age...

Ciderman's computer room in school (ww2 era)

e5e6c9fd0ec484_o.jpg.jpg
    keithgeo wrote: »
    It was Grannys Garden in my day!

gg_ravenbig.jpg

Lol, jesus granny's garden. I remember it from school too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ciderman's computer room in school (ww2 era)

FYP.

difference_engine_1991.jpg

Little did we know we weren't really sneaking a go of Choplifter, we were, in fact, breaking Enigma...
    Who Knew?
    Didn't get any credit either!
    Feck Turing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Feck Turing!

Feels appropriate (and patriotic :D) to post a risky, yet also appropriate for Turing, snap. :D

Winston-Churchill.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-megadrive-2/1305968
    so a guy selling a boxed mega drive, looking for 100quid.
    and then he refuses an 80 euro bid...
    but kinda becomes obvious when both guys are from balbriggan and both joined on the same day.

Wasn't me, swear :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Feels appropriate (and patriotic :D) to post a risky, yet also appropriate for Turing, snap. :D

Winston-Churchill.jpg

It's not the cigar is it?
    That poor man, Turing, was hounded for being gay, despite being part of the group that probably saved us all from a life of saluting the swastika.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ment to post this last night, but was in Cex on Liffey st, about 5pm and they had a copy of luigis mansion for the Gamecube for €10 :eek:, kinda hoping someone on here got it!
    Should have picked it up myself but I have a copy and only have €5 for the week anyways :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Gimmick Famicom cart in Dublin, €40. Seems like a steal to me. The NTSC repro is €45 plus shipping, so this has to be a good price?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Very-Rare-NES-Famicom-Mr-Gimmick-aka-Pipe-V-/270891408046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3f1262daae

EnterNow wrote: »
    Mr Gimmick Famicom cart in Dublin, €40. Seems like a steal to me. The NTSC repro is €45 plus shipping, so this has to be a good price?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Very-Rare-NES-Famicom-Mr-Gimmick-aka-Pipe-V-/270891408046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3f1262daae

Jesus I thought it was the PAL version for a minute. The PAL version was only released in Scandanavia and is worth an absolute fortune.

Not sure what the Famicom version goes for it it's a great game and a late famicom release so it could be a real rarity.

Be careful it's not a chinese clone or repro, looks dodgy since the original sunsoft carts had sunsoft written in the plastic.

Jesus I thought it was the PAL version for a minute. The PAL version was only released in Scandanavia and is worth an absolute fortune.

Not sure what the Famicom version goes for it it's a great game and a late famicom release so it could be a real rarity.

Be careful it's not a chinese clone or repro, looks dodgy since the original sunsoft carts had sunsoft written in the plastic.

Ah I'm staying away from it, I'm not up on Famiclones so don't wanna get stung. That & having no Famicom :o

I am gonna buy the Repro though from Retroware. Yes I'm buying a repro as the game was never released in the US, & the PAL version as Retr0 mentioned above is just way too expensive. The Repro is dumped from an unreleased proto cart - but it's the finished game in all its glory. For the NES, it's a programming, gameplay, & musical masterpiece - http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=105
    This is the real NTSC Mr Gimmick from a previously unreleased prototype cart. All sounds and music have been created for the NTSC system without extra hardware needed. It is not the JP or PAL version.

I'm guessing, it won't work right on a PAL 50Hz Nes though. Time to man up & buy a US NES methinks

Yep the Famicom version had extra chips in the game to help with the graphics and also the music which sounds amazing in the Famicom verison.

Bob Mackey from retronauts has a fantastic lets play on youtube that explains why it's one of his favourite games and also the most technically impressive NES/famicom game. It's also bastard hard, especially the secrets. I found NES emulators had a lot of trouble with this game as well.

Edit:

Here is part 1:

Yep the Famicom version had extra chips in the game to help with the graphics and also the music which sounds amazing in the Famicom verison.

Bob Mackey from retronauts has a fantastic lets play on youtube that explains why it's one of his favourite games and also the most technically impressive NES/famicom game. It's also bastard hard, especially the secrets. I found NES emulators had a lot of trouble with this game as well.

Edit:

Here is part 1:

I originally seen it when Pat The NES Punk reviewed it. Seemingly it would have been a massive hit had it got released. The programming alone is a masterclass. Definitely one to buy

Pat's Teaser

I found NES emulators had a lot of trouble with this game as well.

Just reading up on it there, the rom from the RetroUSB place isn't publically available, & is the genuine one from the US proto. The US version hadn't got the additional sound hardware so that's why it works. It'd explain why an emulated version might not work, if the emulator coding can't accomodate the rom that is publically available [the one with additional sound hardware]

It seems, you can mod the NES for access to the extra sound channels aswell, but it seems rather pointless, as I'm still not sure it it's a 60Hz optimised game. Safest option is to either use a real Famicom, or play the Repro of the genuine US proto which never had the additional sound hardware, & as such works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Packed In Its Own Juices

Jesus. Americans.

It would be a shame to miss out on those extra sound channels, the music is fantastic in the game. I'm sure the US repro has music that has been changed but it's going to be like Castlevania 3 where the music is great but not as good as the famicom version. I'm pretty sure there's a proto rom out there, Bob Mackeys video mentioned it very nearly got a US release.

It might be cheaper to get a famicom version of Mr. Gimmick?

Emulators now can fully emulate the game fine but for a long while it was quite glitchy.

• Advertisement

It would be a shame to miss out on those extra sound channels, the music is fantastic in the game. I'm sure the US repro has music that has been changed but it's going to be like Castlevania 3 where the music is great but not as good as the famicom version. I'm pretty sure there's a proto rom out there, Bob Mackeys video mentioned it very nearly got a US release.

It might be cheaper to get a famicom version of Mr. Gimmick?

Emulators now can fully emulate the game fine but for a long while it was quite glitchy.

You reckon the dump of the US proto is available? It's possible by now alright, someone may have bought the repro cart & dumped it.

Damn, maybe your right. Rather than buy a US NES & have two Nes's (Nii?), maybe it'd be better to use Gimmick as an excuse to get a Famicom.

Que o1s1n with about ten soul destroying ebay links :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement