Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New A&R thread pitch!

Fix It Felix!
    A&R Home Improvement, DIY and First Aid Bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

With all of the work I've done in the house over the past 2 weeks I could be Fix-It Felix, ha.

There were a few hairy moments when I could have used that first aid part too. Never do flooring in flip-flops kids!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My wife and I, being in the nursing trade, spend a decent amount of time sticking family members back together as a result of incidents and accidents involving clumsy and foolish family members.

Pro-tip:
    Skin closure strips are your friend, but flush the wound first!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Been watching these guy's games on there out of interest. The 'Turtles in Time' and 'Whirlo' cart's, or at least the labels, are clearly fake. He added a note to the Whirlo one to act like he wasn't sure. The Turtles one in particular is an awful fake.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271716499593?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271716508993?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Corholio wrote: »
    Been watching these guy's games on there out of interest. The 'Turtles in Time' and 'Whirlo' cart's, or at least the labels, are clearly fake. He added a note to the Whirlo one to act like he wasn't sure. The Turtles one in particular is an awful fake.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271716499593?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271716508993?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Reported Turtles in Time as it's clearly an inkjet printout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, Snes Turtles in Time, I got that in the good oul days of The Rage for a tenner :pac:

- edit: feck me has that gone up in price! When I bought it I remember thinking I'd gotten a good deal, at the time it was selling on ebay for about €30 or so.

All of a sudden I'm thinking about my neglected SNES collection and figuring how to spend next months mortgage on rare carts, or should that be R@RE CARTS!!!

MrVestek wrote: »
    Reported Turtles in Time as it's clearly an inkjet printout.

Ya the colour is absolutely awful on it.

He sold Turtles for €75 and Whirlo for €78. The 'W' on the Whirlo cart is terrible.

He has another one finishing soon

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271714470105?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

'Captain Commando', another fake label. Look how close the title is to the top.

Current bidding is up to €205 :( I almost feel sorry for the guy buying that.

Master of the Universe

He's included a bit about it in the description, but not the title.

please note this is a reproduction so don't go mad

I bet a couple of poor fools haven't seen that alright. Just goes to show, always read the full auction text!

I had a bid the other day on a Keio Flying Squadron disc and was wondering why there were only two bidders on the last day.

Turns out it was a demo disc :mad:

Didn't have time to retract my bid but informed the seller I wouldn't be buying it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    He's included a bit about it in the description, but not the title.

please note this is a reproduction so don't go mad

I bet a couple of poor fools haven't seen that alright. Just goes to show, always read the full auction text!

I had a bid the other day on a Keio Flying Squadron disc and was wondering why there were only two bidders on the last day.

Turns out it was a demo disc :mad:

Didn't have time to retract my bid but informed the seller I wouldn't be buying it.

Ya he posted something similar in the 'Whirlo' auction as well. I would say he posted these notes after some complained.

"Hi there i had the game for 2 years so i would say repro as im not sure but very very good tho" :rolleyes:

The 'Earthbounds' on eBay are the worst, slight label colour differences is all you have to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Corholio wrote: »
    The 'Earthbounds' are the worst, slight label colour differences is all you have to go on.

It's a minefield nowadays buying expensive/uncommon Snes games. Earthbound is particularly plagued with repro's, given it's the go-to 'rare' game among the masses. First thing I did was open mine when it landed from the states to check it.

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's a minefield nowadays buying expensive/uncommon Snes games. Earthbound is particularly plagued with repro's, given it's the go-to 'rare' game among the masses. First thing I did was open mine when it landed from the states to check it.

Some of them are getting too good now that any expensive games bought really need to be opened up and the chip inspected.

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »

I got some shock when you were saying that those TSOP adapters have a 10 year or so lifespan. I'd say lots of 'Earthbound' carts will die in a decade and people won't know why.

You really can't be afraid of getting your hands dirty and opening things up these days. It's pretty much mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I got some shock when you were saying that those TSOP adapters have a 10 year or so lifespan. I'd say lots of 'Earthbound' carts will die in a decade and people won't know why.

That's what I've read anyway, I'd imagine it depends on the quality of the parts used & that, but at the end of the day, they seem to have a short, finite lifespan. After that, I decided flashcarts are really the way to go for the likes of fan translations etc.
    You really can't be afraid of getting your hands dirty and opening things up these days. It's pretty much mandatory.

Definitely mandatory. A gamebit should be part of any Snes collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

China seems to becoming a major supplier of reproductions, don't see the point in them myself though. I saw a Wily Wars repro with box and manual for 16.49 all in, Musha along with others was the same. The same seller had a lot of sought after repro snes carts for 20 euro each, the labels looked messed up on the snes carts but the Megadrive games could fool some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just threw up my Blast City in the marketplace if anyone wants to take a look

Our friend sold some more 'questionable' games today

Mega Man 7
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281535821149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

He did add after a few days (probably after complaints) that it is a repro. Pretty costly one for someone. Look at the bottom of the label too :(

Super Metroid
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281535791761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That 'map' that's with it is just a printed out picture that someone put up on Deviant Art.

Absolutely crazy price for it, even if it was real.

Master of the Universe

At the rate games are increasing in price, I can't wait to retire on my private island when I turn 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm waiting for the massive collapse in prices, that shirley has to come at some stage.

The thing that annoys me, is that carts and crappy looking boxes are way over priced for stuff that isn't all that rare.
    Why are people forking out for boxes that can only be described as being in acceptable condition? They won't hold any value in the long run when demand quietens down, people will only be looking for stuff thats in excellent condition.

Master of the Universe

I don't think there'll be a massive collapse. People who spend a lot of money on games aren't going to voluntarily sell them off at a loss. You only really get a collapse scenario like that in a housing market where people can't repay debt and have to sell at a loss.

I'd say what'll have to happen is we'll reach peak videogame price, where sales figures drop off because items are too expensive and nobody is buying them anymore - we'll then see a gradual decrease to a more stable level.

To be honest though, at some of the prices I've seen stuff going for lately, it's hard to guess what that peak price would be. I'm astounded to think there are people paying some of the prices I've seen stuff go for lately.

One thing which is for definite, expect to see counterfeit items steadily increase. As I always think to myself, what's has more of a risk/difficulty level, robbing a bank or creating some fake carts?

Just look to Neo Geo AES carts to see the level of madness it can get to.

• Advertisement

You mean Steve is collecting all those copies of Rise of the Robots for nothing?
    Could it be because he likes it?
    Say it ain't so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't think there'll be a massive collapse. People who spend a lot of money on games aren't going to voluntarily sell them off at a loss. You only really get a collapse scenario like that in a housing market where people can't repay debt and have to sell at a loss.

I can imagine it now, everyone here stuck in negative equity, and having to rent out their collections til the retro gaming economy recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Hey lads just stuck this up on Adverts if anyone is interested: Nes + Snes + N64 + 85 games.

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-snes-n64-85-games/7120449

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You mean Steve is collecting all those copies of Rise of the Robots for nothing?
    Could it be because he likes it?
    Say it ain't so!

Hey, I have a plan for my ROTR collection.
    It's a very similar plan to what I did to fix my brothers Blu-ray collection over the Xmas :D

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Hey lads just stuck this up on Adverts if anyone is interested: Nes + Snes + N64 + 85 games.

http://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nes-snes-n64-85-games/7120449

Gone?

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Gone?

There was no asking price so I'd say the adverts moderators took it down :(

Was a fantastic selection of stuff.

There was no asking price so I'd say the adverts moderators took it down :(

Was a fantastic selection of stuff.

In a way I'm glad and in a more surer way my wallet and cards are even more glad.

Advice was given to make sure that, at the very least, the lot or lots were priced, if not the individual items.
    The rules are not so very hard to follow.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, that's the thing about adverts - as a buyer the asking price rule is fantastic.

As a seller it can be a pain in the hoop if you've something like this with a very approximate value. In fact it's turned me off selling quite a few items over the years as I wasn't 100% sure what to price them at.

Ebay is better for items like that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS) is €9.99 in Argos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement