Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's the control panel I mainly have a problem with, it's fairly hideous :D

I think Sega designed them to look more like Western cabs for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Doge

I love sega cabs but the swing doesent do it for me at all, think its the speaker placement and the extended cp reminds me of one of those awful mame machines, the e29 I cant get my head around at all, I like it because its hideous lol

Was about to say STG.Otaku is rubbing off on me, but then realized even that could be turned into something vulgar! :pac:

Master of the Universe

This should be interesting. Blue label World Championship Soccer 2 on ebay.

For those not in the know, rarest PAL game for the Megadrive. It's a bizarre blue label variant of a game which you can easily get a 'classics' version of. (folks reckon the original was recalled for some reason, the inlay destroyed and it they were all rebranded)

There arent even any decent scans online for fear of someone reproducing the inlay.

I've had it in my ebay watch list for years and years and this is the first one I've seen come up. (last one I heard of which sold went for £750)

I was the winning bidder with a max proxy of £100. Some dude just outbid me a minute ago.

I bid £200 - his proxy got me again.

I'm very tempted to see just how high his proxy bid goes... but scared ****less too :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191176052347?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4480&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI191176052347.N2.S1.M4113&autorefresh=true

Master of the Universe

Actually here's a really dodgy way of seeing someone's proxy bid. Never really occurred to me before but it's simple if you're a mean bastard. (or really really really want something rare!)

Bid a huge amount that there's no way the other person has bid. Say I bid £1000 on this game.

The price the auction will then go to is his max proxy bid. (so say we see it's £256)

I can then withdraw my bid (entered wrong amount as reason) I now know what his max proxy bid is.

Wait until the last few seconds and if nobody else bids you know you have the item at £260.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

do retracted bids not count against you in some way on ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Actually here's a really dodgy way of seeing someone's proxy bid. Never really occurred to me before but it's simple if you're a mean bastard. (or really really really want something rare!)

Bid a huge amount that there's no way the other person has bid. Say I bid £1000 on this game.

The price the auction will then go to is his max proxy bid. (so say we see it's £256)

I can then withdraw my bid (entered wrong amount as reason) I now know what his max proxy bid is.

Wait until the last few seconds and if nobody else bids you know you have the item at £260.

Would he not get a notification that he has been outbid? Then when he sees the bid was retracted his hackles will be up and be on the lookout for the shenanigans you detailed.
    I also have a habit of increasing my bid, if I do bid early, in the last minute or so if I have time. He might be an ass like me.

Master of the Universe

do retracted bids not count against you in some way on ebay?

If you keep it to a minimum it seems to be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

o1s1n wrote: »
    This should be interesting. Blue label World Championship Soccer 2 on ebay.

For those not in the know, rarest PAL game for the Megadrive. It's a bizarre blue label variant of a game which you can easily get a 'classics' version of. (folks reckon the original was recalled for some reason, the inlay destroyed and it they were all rebranded)

There arent even any decent scans online for fear of someone reproducing the inlay.

I've had it in my ebay watch list for years and years and this is the first one I've seen come up. (last one I heard of which sold went for £750)

I was the winning bidder with a max proxy of £100. Some dude just outbid me a minute ago.

I bid £200 - his proxy got me again.

I'm very tempted to see just how high his proxy bid goes... but scared ****less too :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191176052347?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l4480&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI191176052347.N2.S1.M4113&autorefresh=true

Geez, alot of money for a sports game :P

At least you're making me feel better about my silly purchases so far this month...

What's your cap on the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd say it will go over 1000, 2 days left sure. The real bidding hasn't even started yet.

Still annoys me so much people bidding on items 2 days out. Just leads to prices going higher than they should and the winner just being the person with the deepest pockets

Should be a section on eBay for 5 minute auctions

Master of the Universe

Geez, alot of money for a sports game :P

At least you're making me feel better about my silly purchases so far this month...

What's your cap on the game?

I wasn't really bidding to win to be honest! If I'd gotten it for £200 I'd have been delighted - however it'll go for a lot more The kind of money that there's no way I'd ever pay for a game. So just a bit of fun really :) If I was bidding to win it I'd be doing it all in the last 10 seconds of the auction :)

Unless of course it's still on the same figure when the auction is coming to a close. I may throw a bit more down on it then.
    I'd say it will go over 1000, 2 days left sure. The real bidding hasn't even started yet.

Still annoys me so much people bidding on items 2 days out. Just leads to prices going higher than they should and the winner just being the person with the deepest pockets

Should be a section on eBay for 5 minute auctions

I'd say it'll go for about £600.

The last one which sold for £750 was being bid on by two big Megadrive collectors who really wanted it in a big way. So I've a feeling that's definitely the higher end.

Might be wrong though, remains to be seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Crazy money, someone on NeoGeo is offering $400,00 for a gameboy color game I never heard of called Shantea .

What the hell is happening ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Casey120 wrote: »

You tell us Schteve! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Casey120 wrote: »
    Crazy money, someone on NeoGeo is offering $400,00 for a gameboy color game I never heard of called Shantea .

I think its like the rarest or one of the rarest gbc games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

400 for Shantae? It used to go for 80 a few months ago.

I think it's because of the press over the kickstarted Shantae games and the higher profile that WayForward have received in recent years.

Was just in to R.A.G.E to trade in a bunch of common Dreamcast titles (10 copies of MSR, UEFA Striker, sports games etc, ~30 titles or so) and got €175 store credit. Not bad, ~€6 a title on average, just need to actually wait for them to get in stock that I actually want.

Would anyone here be interested in taking some more rare Dreamcast games off my hands? I'm not sure I want to part with them yet, but I have the likes of Cannon Spike, Project Justice, Evolution 2, Rez, Sonic Shuffle, if I get some interest I may post a topic in the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Was just in to R.A.G.E to trade in a bunch of common Dreamcast titles (10 copies of MSR, UEFA Striker, sports games etc, ~30 titles or so) and got €175 store credit. Not bad, ~€6 a title on average, just need to actually wait for them to get in stock that I actually want.

Would anyone here be interested in taking some more rare Dreamcast games off my hands? I'm not sure I want to part with them yet, but I have the likes of Cannon Spike, Project Justice, Evolution 2, Rez, Sonic Shuffle, if I get some interest I may post a topic in the marketplace.

I'd have a bit of interest, though I think eBay could be your best bet given the going rate for them! Definitely stick them up anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was just in to R.A.G.E

They offered me €29.99 cash for a boxed 3DO I was selling. I was just curious so asked, knowing they'd have to make a cut off it too which is only fair. Fair enough if you don't think you can sell it, but just say "we wouldn't have much interest in it", stupid offers like this though just make reinforce the negative opinions some people seem to have of them.

Yeah, well in fairness, I'm sure the games I traded in, will have a 100-200% markup once they're put on the shelves, but it kind of beats having to post out games to 20 different people.

They do seem to have pretty decent deals on systems, and I've gotten some good deals on games in their recently, and I mean sub-eBay prices, some of their stuff is extortionate though, Nintendo stuff in particular.

Yeah, well in fairness, I'm sure the games I traded in, will have a 100-200% markup once they're put on the shelves, but it kind of beats having to post out games to 20 different people.

Can't argue with the prices you got, given it's a retail store. I recently enough offloaded the majority of my dvd collection to CeX...I got nearly €200 worth of store credit. For me that won out over selling them in small lots over a protracted period of time.
    They do seem to have pretty decent deals on systems, and I've gotten some good deals on games in their recently, and I mean sub-eBay prices, some of their stuff is extortionate though, Nintendo stuff in particular.

Yeah that kinda reflects the hot/cold nature of their pricing model. I think they themselves attributed that to the constant fluctuating nature of game prices or some nonsense. It's a bit more like 'whatever we feel like offering you', which if it works for them, who am I to argue. I do wonder what they'd have retailed my €29.99 boxed 3DO for...if it was going to be 59.99, yeah, fair enough...but I kinda doubt it'd have been that low.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Can't argue with the prices you got, given it's a retail store. I recently enough offloaded the majority of my dvd collection to CeX...I got nearly €200 worth of store credit. For me that won out over selling them in small lots over a protracted period of time.

Yeah, and especially if I did that, I'd end up spending those small amounts of money on daily incidentals, eventually feeling like I made nothing off them.
    Yeah that kinda reflects the hot/cold nature of their pricing model. I think they themselves attributed that to the constant fluctuating nature of game prices or some nonsense. It's a bit more like 'whatever we feel like offering you', which if it works for them, who am I to argue. I do wonder what they'd have retailed my €29.99 boxed 3DO for...if it was going to be 59.99, yeah, fair enough...but I kinda doubt it'd have been that low.

I'd be surprised if it was anything less than €129.99.

And it was funny too, he looked through the games quickly, didn't put them through a system or anything, just threw out a figure. Thankfully I had an idea of what I wanted, and they offered a little bit more, which was surprising.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and especially if I did that, I'd end up spending those small amounts of money on daily incidentals, eventually feeling like I made nothing off them

I take the same approach. If I sell anything from the collection, be it doubles or anything, the money made goes straight back into the collection & is never used for anything else. You'd easily get through money you've made from selling stuff, spend it, & then end up with nothing as you say

I take the same approach. If I sell anything from the collection, be it doubles or anything, the money made goes straight back into the collection & is never used for anything else. You'd easily get through money you've made from selling stuff, spend it, & then end up with nothing as you say

Exactly, and funnily enough you mention, I have a new thread of Dreamcast games on the marketplace if you're interested, you know, to help fund my NGPC collection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

"Myrddin wrote: »

Rarely see a bargin in the rage, only sub eBay I've seen was dot.hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was in a while ago and needed a PAL 3DO FZ1 for parts so asked how much. 99.99 for a loose 3DO and 159.99 for a boxed one.
    I went to eBay instead of course.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was in a while ago and needed a PAL 3DO FZ1 for parts so asked how much. 99.99 for a loose 3DO and 159.99 for a boxed one.
    I went to eBay instead of course.

Well there ya go, some profit margin.

Well there ya go, some profit margin.

There was a boxed 3DO on the shelf when I was in there too, €160 might be a bit too much I think :P.

There was a boxed 3DO on the shelf when I was in there too, €160 might be a bit too much I think :P.

€160 is a tad high maybe, not by very much though I don't think. My issue with it though, is if you're going to low ball people for €29.99, you don't price it at the high end of the spectrum like that. You get it for €29.99 fair enough, but pass a bit of value on with it. Quicker turnaround, smaller profit, but you build a bigger consumer base quicker with good pricing, & that equals more profit in the long run. 'The long run', a notion lost on a lot of merchants though.

€160 is a tad high maybe, not by very much though I don't think. My issue with it though, is if you're going to low ball people for €29.99, you don't price it at the high end of the spectrum like that. You get it for €29.99 fair enough, but pass a bit of value on with it. Quicker turnaround, smaller profit, but you build a bigger consumer base quicker with good pricing, & that equals more profit in the long run. 'The long run', a notion lost on a lot of merchants though.

Sure, if they sold it for €60, they'd have sold it in a matter of days likely, and doubled their investment for literally doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

But pass a bit of value on with it. Quicker turnaround, smaller profit, but you build a bigger consumer base quicker with good pricing, & that equals more profit in the long run. 'The long run', a notion lost on a lot of merchants though.

Meanwhile back at The RAGE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement