Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve SI wrote: »
    Hey, don't want to spoil your ad by asking this on it but is there or isnt there screen burn on the monitor?
    I know you have some geometry issues and thats probably down to the chassis but if there is burn on that screen it's probably best to mention it in the ad to cover yourself.

I honestly just forgot about it, Only after I read over it I realised. Ah I'm in talks with someone now who has read the thread on here about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    You need whore around and not be such a boards.ie monogamist! :p

I lurk on that hardcore gaming 101, post a little bit on digitpress and nintendoage but don't like them as much as here. I post a fair bit in various Sci-fi/fantasy book forums. My thumbs aren't flexible so that means I tend to be narrow focused and adverse to change according to palmistry.

Oh and another thing. A totally unrelated one but just got back from Arnie's new flick, The Last Stand, and all I can say is that its better than expendables. My girlfriend really drags me to the dumbest action movies.
    In the last year she made me see; expendables 2, the last stand and John Reacher( as she calls it). I really expect to come home one day to find her dismantling an assault rifle blindfolded and resembling it and then asking me to time her.

I'm sad as well, getting sniped all over the shop on eBay lately. My skills have gone rusty or it must be old age as I got one year older during the week past.

Edit: it's all in the reflexes and I ain't got them no more

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Your girlfriend sounds awesome :D

If anyone is looking for a step down for their cab, there are some over on AO for dirt cheap. I have this exact one (got it from Ronnie) and it works great.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23012&p=310000#p310000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Your girlfriend sounds awesome :D

If anyone is looking for a step down for their cab, there are some over on AO for dirt cheap. I have this exact one (got it from Ronnie) and it works great.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23012&p=310000#p310000

That's a good price but they're not great stepdowns to be honest o1s1n.
    They get the job done but do make a fair bit of noise and are a bit bulky if you ask me. My one died and I replaced it with a much better one (much more expensive as well to be fair).

But again, for the price they have them its a good deal. I just wouldn't put one in my cab again.

Here's a pic of the old and new stepdowns I have:
    oldstepdownandnewwhiteo.jpg

Edit:
    The white stepdown uses a toroidal system that reduces the humming sound you get from these things a lot as well as having very low magnetic stray fields.

Master of the Universe

When you said 'noise' I thought you meant interference across the monitor!

You literally mean audible noise though yeah? In that case, there's none from mine that' I've noticed? Maybe you had a dodgy one if it broke?

I'll have a listen out, but I can't say it's ever produced any kind of noise at all.

It's a good bit bigger than your new one, but hasn't really ever bothered me to be honest. The step down I had for the AWSD was even bigger and made of steel! :eek:

• Advertisement

When you said 'noise' I thought you meant interference across the monitor!

You literally mean audible noise though yeah? In that case, there's none from mine that' I've noticed? Maybe you had a dodgy one if it broke?

I'll have a listen out, but I can't say it's ever produced any kind of noise at all.

It's a good bit bigger than your new one, but hasn't really ever bothered me to be honest. The step down I had for the AWSD was even bigger and made of steel! :eek:

I've had a couple of those black ones and they all made way to much buzzing noise. But I am a freak when it comes to that sort of thing and even have a tool to measure the decibel levels of my gear :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If you want the Rolls Royce of step downs for a candy cab then there's no finer choice than an Airlink Transformer. :cool:

m2Oe1PW.jpg

I decided to fork out for one of those bad boys to make sure my cab was getting the proper 100v it requires. It's super quiet too. Not cheap at all though, especially when Parcel Motel wasn't around at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Stepdown looks like it was constructed for a lab somewhere, awesome!

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If you want the Rolls Royce of step downs for a candy cab then there's no finer choice than an Airlink Transformer. :cool:

m2Oe1PW.jpg

I decided to fork out for one of those bad boys to make sure my cab was getting the proper 100v it requires. It's super quiet too. Not cheap at all though, especially when Parcel Motel wasn't around at the time.

60 quid seems ok for that, I suppose shipping was mental with the weight of it.
    I paid crazy money for my one from Maplins :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got a stepdown with my launch, jap, Gamecube.
    Then, over the next week, I noticed a smell, checked, and the Stepdown had turned to a plastic slag, dripping off the metal interior components.
    Turns out the GC was pulling a lot more power than previous consoles, like the N64 or PS, and that was heating that sucker up.
    So, I got a beast of a stepdown instead, and this mother could cope with anything.
    Comes with one of those lab equipment handles on the top, and make a sound like an unlicensed nuclear accelerator backpack when turned on!

Now, though, I lack any import consoles that need it, the US Snes uses a regular Pal Snes PSU with a different end connector, the Famicom is using a no name pound shop adapter, and runs just fine.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Another Mother 2 liberated by the mighty Enternow from the shackles of Japanese!

2013-01-27145137.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

Check the last line on the description....

Title This item is WHOLE SALE GREAT LOT 120 SegaSaturn GAMES JP IMPORT
    Genre: Other

This item is Secondhand.

This item is JAPANESE VERSION

This item was NOT TESTED

This item includes SegaSaturn games.

We put a lot of items into this lot at random.
    So please note that there is possibility that this lot includes some of same genre games.
    And some of games are not with instruction or disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

should have gone to Specsavers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

should have gone to Specsavers :o

I was tempted too, I can live without the instructions, but the disc..... eh no :)

Master of the Universe

With those Japanese Saturn lot auctions they also tend to put the best games in the top of the photo and then complete crap down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

True, What you going to do with 100 Rpgs you can't understand and FIFA is sh1te in any language. At least now there is a way of patching the sfc games to display English text.

Master of the Universe

They even go one worse and include those crappy picture/Idol discs. Absolute waste of plastic so they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My last two surplus gAMes
    http://touch.adverts.ie/nintendo/mario-golf-nintendo-n64-boxed-very-good/2582140

Does actually contain game so thats a plus straight off the bat.

Arcade bits and bobs, prices seem a tad high though.
    http://www.adverts.ie/member/577855

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is there any interest out there in a screen & region modded Sega Nomad? I'm half thinking of selling mine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

How much might one of those set us back? :-)

RNB wrote: »
    How much might one of those set us back? :-)

I'll go & get an idea of its worth, will post back with an adverts link :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'll go & get an idea of its worth, will post back with an adverts link :)

Prepare yourself for the avalanche of adverts g0bsh1tes and glws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If you wanna break even of Adverts, it's probably best to post the item as free and let the goblins outbid each other on the postage. By the time the logic kicks in, you'll have a fatter Paypal.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Prepare yourself for the avalanche of adverts g0bsh1tes and glws.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    If you wanna break even of Adverts, it's probably best to post the item as free and let the goblins outbid each other on the postage. By the time the logic kicks in, you'll have a fatter Paypal.

I know, I really could do without selling this through Adverts & the obligatory "offer €25. dey sel deez in smiths wit 20 megadrive gamez bilt in"

You could always stick it up on that other group that everybody joined and nobody uses, may cut down on the lowball offers but then again I can't speak for Jack Burton.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    You could always stick it up on that other group that everybody joined and nobody uses, may cut down on the lowball offers but then again I can't speak for Jack Burton.

I had not thought of that! Why thank you good sir!

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there any interest out there in a screen & region modded Sega Nomad? I'm half thinking of selling mine....

Argh! no! I haven't used mine in ages but I'd never dream of letting it go. They're just so damn cool with that LCD mod.

As for worth..hmmm. That is a very desirable item. Both battery mod AND screen mod. I'd reckon you might be able to get as high as €250 if you found the right person.

• Advertisement

Argh! no! I haven't used mine in ages but I'd never dream of letting it go. They're just so damn cool with that LCD mod.

As for worth..hmmm. That is a very desirable item. Both battery mod AND screen mod. I'd reckon you might be able to get as high as €250 if you found the right person.

I know, I really don't want to sell it per se but the thing is almost never used :( Yep the value would be up that region alright, & sure if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell I'll just keep it, not too bothered at all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement