Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Is it not 1 second per mile?
    No. Sound travels slower than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Is it not 1 second per mile?

Speed of sound is 340m/s

There are 1600meters in 1 mile so 1600/340 is 4.7 seconds, almost 5 :)

I usually just count the seconds and multiply by 340m. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

Snowing for the last half an hour in Kilmacanogue :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

heavy hail in Tallaght :(

Does anyone here live in Dundrum? Could you tell me what the road conditions are like? My daughter wants to go there today, but Im nervous the buses might stop.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Can see the approaching fun off to the SE, I'd say it's 10-15 mins from Clonakilty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Hail / graupel in Glasnevin now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If the temps start properly dropping and those streamers stay on course then Dub is in for a pasting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Snowing steadily in Lucan now.
    The wind has also really picked up in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

IHateSnow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Seriously disappointed with the thaw in Malahide :( I don't even feel cold! It better get freakin' cold and bloody snowy later :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Very heavy hailstone shower in templeogue, D6w. About 5mm in diameter and added about 2cm onto our layer of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MUSEIST wrote: »
    IHateSnow.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Don't encourage...ignore:rolleyes:

Heroditas wrote: »
    Snowing steadily in Lucan now.
    The wind has also really picked up in the last hour.

Where in Lucan , may I ask? Im up by Weston, nothing yet. blow me up a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

the M2 buoy has dropped to 1.3, if it drops a bit more we could have some snow on the Dublin Coast

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wish it would either snow properly in Dublin or piss off entirely. Sleet/hail/graupel mix is not good for anything except annoying people.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Unrelated - I have just ordered a delivery of oil - BEFORE it has run out! That's a first for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

IHateSnow.jpg

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Im glad I get the train !

A Little taster for you , still bucketing down in Newbridge ,

image is coming up to big to embed

The weather site I use has gone down so I am with out stats :eek:

Edit : starting to slow a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well looking at the last couple of pages, we can pinpoint it to Glasnevin, O'Connel Street, Sandyford, Clontarf, Dublin Bay, Dublin 15, D4, D2, D3, Crumlin, Goatstown, Belfield etc etc

Very accurate pinpointing there!
    If you took more care to read their posts, most simply said that they heard it while in those places. I myself heard it while beside the grand canal.:)

It doesn't take a genius to work out that it doesn't happen in your average WC. Here's a refresher on thunder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder Now as you hopefully can see, reports or not, the thunder and lightning came from one location.

So, could you explain why people should have to justify saying where they heard thunder or saw lightning, in a weather forum?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jake1 wrote: »
    Where in Lucan , may I ask? Im up by Weston, nothing yet. blow me up a bit :)

Sorry, up by Willsbrook Park.
    It's just stopped again though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

really heavy snow just dodging cork city, looks like it needs small gust of wind cmon!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

A Little taster for you , still bucketing down in Newbridge ,

image is coming up to big to embed

The weather site I use has gone down so I am with out stats :eek:

Edit : starting to slow a little

SAVAGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Whats the expert view on this east coast thaw thats happening? Metcheck is saying it should drop back below zero after 6 and the rain/sleet will turn back into snow.

Agree/Disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,298 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Extract from RTE's Live Weather Update:

0715 A colleague has just arrived in, looking cold and flustered, thinking he was due on the early shift. You should have seen his face when he realised he wasn't due in until 1pm. Ouch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

kufylyulig
    Ya wha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Ya wha'?

you heard me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

If you took more care to read their posts, most simply said that they heard it while in those places. I myself heard it while beside the grand canal.:)

It doesn't take a genius to work out that it doesn't happen in your average WC. Here's a refresher on thunder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder Now as you hopefully can see, reports or not, the thunder and lightning came from one location.

So, could you explain why people should have to justify saying where they heard thunder or saw lightning, in a weather forum?!

Obviously it happens in one location :rolleyes:

But as it can be heard for miles around, people stating where they've heard the lightning offers no real indication of where the actual thunder/lightning took place. I never asked for 'justification', but merely pointed out that stating where you 'heard' it offers no real info.

Thanks for the wiki link (which I didn't read). But I'd rather you weren't as patronising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

anyone know what the craic with the seagulls is???? under attack here like?:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement