Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you paint your boys nails?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, sort of looking forward to having/getting/finding a kid of my own. I have an eighteen year trolling plan under construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think it's the cutest thing ever for a really small boy - completely innocent and demonstrative of how they're not yet aware of stereotypical "roles". It's fleeting - and quite lovely. Nobody seems to express certainty that tom-boys will become butch women.
    E.g. I was the most feminine, frilly-dress, ribbons-in-hair wearing girlie girlie and ended up a rawk chick. A two-year-old's behaviour is not necessarily indicative of what they'll be into at 12. To a small boy, make-up etc is just stuff for messing around with - he isn't going to imbue it with any more meaning than that.
    I don't think anyone's saying an older boy who wears nail varnish etc won't be bullied at school, or that a parent should encourage it in order to show how right-on they are (not that a parent should force boys to e.g. participate in sports either) but if it's the boy's choice to wear nail varnish and he puts up with the grief, it can demonstrate serious balls tbh.
    Well my son won't be gay.
    I'm not packing gay sperm down there.
    Gay doesn't run in my family ha ha!
    I'm not biased against gay people. If my son is gay then he's gay. All I'm saying is I'm hoping my son isn't gay because I'm not gay and I'm not starting a tradition of them in my family.
    :confused:
    Anyone could be gay - family has nothing to do with it. Boy George, for instance, says his dad and brothers were tough-as-nails, old-skool men...
    Boy's shouldn't be painting their nails either they should be outside playing sports, or with hanging their friends or inside drawing or signing or whatever their good at.
    Boys should be doing whatever they choose to do as long as it doesn't harm them or anyone else.
    nail polish isn't exactly in your normal men's magazine like men's health or Top Gear now is it?
    That's one interpretation of masculinity - the really generic stereotypical one.
    Still only an internet toughie.

Doesn't excuse the fact that you make fun of people without provocation.

Quite cowardly to be honest.
    You're the one who called someone a retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

you'd swear I was a homo-phobe.

I have gay friends. you need to open your mind a little. ;);)

So you think that having gay friends means that you can't also be homophobic?

Cripes.

That's a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Definitely not, and I suspect it's one of those made-up stories to follow-on from the new ads for "men" cosmetics trying to persuade borderline men that wearing make-up, etc, is acceptable.
    Interesting point. At first I thought it was just more bollox celebrity news and a load of "Christ, who cares". But it could well be another move to normalize men wearing makeup. Get 'em started young via the celeb-obsessed mother. Let boys grow up seeing each other wearing makeup... 20 years later you've cracked the other 50% of the population.

I really don't give a shít if people want to wear makeup, but eventually it'll be expected of you, just like it is for women... that's what they want, to beat you into buying their warpaint and magic lotions.
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the whole "metro-sexual" thing kicked off in some boardroom on a whiteboard and a slide projector. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

What is it about masculinity that people feel is under threat? Its like men cling onto it in desperation, trying to be 'manly' constantly to reaffirm it, out of fear it could slip away and they will become teh ghey.
    Women are never so insecure about their femininity, we don't feel like we have to avoid everything masculine or else we'll become lezbos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

If you weren't so busy being incredibly condescending, it might have occurred to you that I am actually past school going age, so having attended school for 15 odd years, I really have little need of someone to "break it down" for me.

I don't know if you were bullied in school - that would certainly explain why you seem to have a mortal fear of your child ever being anything other than a football playing, Top Gear reading, Nuts magazine reader - but I know from my experiences in school that there were many diverse types of children, just as there are in life & although bullying did happen from time to time, it was far from being the norm as neither teachers, parents & mostly students didn't tolerate it for too long without something happening.

Ha, you talk about condescending, but you were the one who was dribbling on about checked shirts/being a redneck because I dared to suggest that things might not be so perfect in the real world. Now explain to me where I expressed a desire for any of my children to be a macho top gear/nuts magazine reader?
    You should leave the amateur psychology to Jessica Fletcher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What is it about masculinity that people feel is under threat? Its like men cling onto it in desperation, trying to be 'manly' constantly to reaffirm it, out of fear it could slip away and they will become teh ghey.
    Women are never so insecure about their femininity, we don't feel like we have to avoid everything masculine or else we'll become lezbos.

Being girly is seen as a put down, being manly isn't as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

oh so true! ask a man to hold your bag and watch him cringe in terror! he'll hold it, but far away from himself as if he's carrying a bomb or something. it's hilarious!

also, something I saw on youtube the other day
    I was watching one of david mitchell's soapbox videos, and he's sponsored by bulldog moisturizer for men.

it's just moisturizer! what the hell is the difference between that and aveeno or anything else? you need it to be called something "tough" like BULLDOG and make sure it's pasted all over that it's FOR MEN before you'll use it!? lol! so very insecure and would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

This thread needs a sound track:D

Links234 wrote: »
    it's just moisturizer! what the hell is the difference between that and aveeno or anything else? you need it to be called something "tough" like BULLDOG and make sure it's pasted all over that it's FOR MEN before you'll use it!? lol! so very insecure and would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

You'll never get a job in marketing - I doubt anyone, even the most manly of men, would want a face like a bulldog. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You'll never get a job in marketing - I doubt anyone, even the most manly of men, would want a face like a bulldog. :p

but it is called bulldog!

look at the start of the video:

bulldog moisturizer!

for men, did we mention it was for men? because it's for men.

Now explain to me where I expressed a desire for any of my children to be a macho top gear/nuts magazine reader?

Here;

I'm hoping my son isn't gay because I'm not gay and I'm not starting a tradition of them in my family.

Here;
    Boy's shouldn't be painting their nails either they should be outside playing sports,

And most definitely here;
    nail polish isn't exactly in your normal men's magazine like men's health or Top Gear now is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Women not insecure? Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm here.
    Fake tan, a tonne of foundation, hair dyed, legs shaved, eyebrows plucked, expensive handbags... women have it far worse and resort to more desperate measures to adhere to the phoney standard set for them.
    God forbid a woman might let her eyebrows grow out naturally, but sure you'd look like a man... which, incidentally, would be better than "surprised oompa-loompa".
    There's a whole industry based around making women feel insecure, and they're doing very very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The only weird thing relating to this story is that some photographer was secretly taking pictures of a 4 year old boy...and that his nail colour is somehow newsworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gurramok wrote: »
    Afraid to break the norm that sounds like.

Guess you will object to him having spikey hair as well as dying it red.:rolleyes:

Point being, so feckin what if some ignorant twats object to what my future son wants to decorate himself with or even going against the norm of short back and sides with a bit of long hair showing individuality, its none of their business.

Your idealistic view and who cares attitude is admirable but not a true reflection of society. The fact is by encouraging your son to wear nail polish you are opening him up to all sorts of ridicule and bullying by providing ammunition.

Are you going to be there to tell his peers that it's none of their business when they are taking the piss out of him in school? Of course not.

Nail varnish on blokes is not the norm and I wouldn't be actively encouraging it. If the kid decides at an age where he can handle himself that it's what he wants then super but until then society dictates that he shouldn't have it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Holybejaysus
    Now explain to me where I expressed a desire for any of my children to be a macho top gear/nuts magazine reader?
    Here;

Quote:
    I'm hoping my son isn't gay because I'm not gay and I'm not starting a tradition of them in my family.

Here;

Quote:
    Boy's shouldn't be painting their nails either they should be outside playing sports,

And most definitely here;

Quote:
    nail polish isn't exactly in your normal men's magazine like men's health or Top Gear now is it
    What? I didn't make any of those posts-you added my name to a different poster! I hope this was a genuine mistake on your part.

You can apologize if you want.

What? I didn't make any of those posts-you added my name to a different poster! I hope this was a genuine mistake on your part.

You can apologize if you want.

Ooops! :D

Sorry - it was late when I posted that. I was getting you mixed up with the other poster.

My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My flatmate used to buy magazines similar to Nuts years ago and I always used to enjoy looking through them It was great because I could enjoy it but he had to go through the embarrassment of buying them and I could also raise an disapproving eyebrow to women I brought home and blame the magazine on "my sexist, Neanderthal flatmate".

Result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I think very small boys learn about life by experimenting with whatever happens to be in their immediate area - just like very small girls. If that happens to be nail polish, so what? My sons never played with it, for the very simple reason that I never wear nail polish, hence it just wasn't around.

On the other hand, if I were to try to paint my sons nails now - I think they would seriously consider having me committed!:D:D

Seriously, there's a little lad who paints his nails at the local primary school. He's not bullied - that would not be tolerated. But he is regarded as "a bit of a freak". His classmates words, not mine!
    The boys, in particular, tend to avoid him, poor wee fella.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I think very small boys learn about life by experimenting with whatever happens to be in their immediate area - just like very small girls. If that happens to be nail polish, so what? My sons never played with it, for the very simple reason that I never wear nail polish, hence it just wasn't around.

On the other hand, if I were to try to paint my sons nails now - I think they would seriously consider having me committed!:D:D

Seriously, there's a little lad who paints his nails at the local primary school. He's not bullied - that would not be tolerated. But he is regarded as "a bit of a freak". His classmates words, not mine!
    The boys, in particular, tend to avoid him, poor wee fella.

Noreen

I assure you if they're calling him a freak and avoiding him while there's adults around to observe, they're also beating him with bars of soaps wrapped in a towel while there'd no one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Call me what you like but no son of mine will wear nail varnish.

Call me what you like but no son of mine will wear nail varnish.

Der ain't no son of mine gonna be wearin' no nail varnish... no siree. We don't take kindly to no little, faggy, queer boys around these purts.

Las' time won of dem dare fairy cakes came into this town, we had ourselves a linchin'.

Yeeeeehaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Would you paint your boys nails?

No

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Are you going to be there to tell his peers that it's none of their business when they are taking the piss out of him in school? Of course not.

Nail varnish on blokes is not the norm and I wouldn't be actively encouraging it. If the kid decides at an age where he can handle himself that it's what he wants then super but until then society dictates that he shouldn't have it on.

I actually sort of agree with you (to a degree). I wouldn't actively encourage my boy to wear nailvarnish, but I certainly wouldn't tell him that he couldn't wear it if that's what he wanted.

The other thing about the little guy in the OP is that he doesn't live in Ireland. He lives in the US (I think!). And unlike here, there are options for schools, you don't have to go to a run of the mill school with "normal" kids, you can go to stage school for example, where art and creativity are encouraged and expected. This child is, to be fair, not from a "normal" family, edginess, if that's what you call it, is not out of the ordinary for a rock star's son, I honestly cannot see how this particular child will be affected in the long term because he wears nail varnish.

In Ireland, kids get teased over everything, their clothes, their hair colour, their teeth, early development, the car their dad drives, their accent, their height, their weight. If children want to bully other kids, they will do it - they will find something they don't like and they will use it against them. That's never going to change and I really think that encouraging your child to be themselves and to be confident with who they are is the best gift you could ever give your child.

Kids don't "end up" a certain way because of things they did when they were kids. I hated dolls, built model cars, watched f1 racing, bought Match magazine instead of "bliss", and you know what, I'm the girliest girl you could ever meet!

wow, rant, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think I'd be more worried about myself if I wanted to put nail varnish on my son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Nevore wrote: »
    I assure you if they're calling him a freak and avoiding him while there's adults around to observe, they're also beating him with bars of soaps wrapped in a towel while there'd no one there.

I will absolutely guarantee you, they do not actively bully him.
    Neither do they call him names to his face - I've checked.:D

However, when they're chatting to each other (and unaware that this particular adult is eavesdropping!) - that's what they call him.
    Curiously enough, they also have sympathy for him.:confused:

Noreen

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I think I'd be more worried about myself if I wanted to put nail varnish on my son.

I'd be worried if you had a son. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Der ain't no son of mine gonna be wearin' no nail varnish... no siree. We don't take kindly to no little, faggy, queer boys around these purts.

Las' time won of dem dare fairy cakes came into this town, we had ourselves a linchin'.

Yeeeeehaaay!

Basically but less of the lynching, I'm not a complete monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd be worried if you had a son. :p

You and me both :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 claireio

Nope, I wouldn't paint my sons nails but that wouldn't bother me as much as getting a 4 yr olds hair bleached, what a stupid thing to do to a child.

What kind of fool does that to a child??:eek:

Advertisement