Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you paint your boys nails?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

I wore make up when I was a teenager... painted nails, eyeliner... whatever I felt like.

It's a form of expression.

I did get some slagging, but I didn't give a fuck.

My dad, however, was less open minded than I was & it caused major rifts between us. Looking back now, I can see that he was probably just trying to protect me, but I didn't realise that at the time & resented him for it.

So, if you do ever have a son, let him paint his nails if he wants to - otherwise he'll just hate you for it.

Well my son won't be gay.

I see your side of it too don't worry but I simply couldn't take my son seriously if he wore nail polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

how do you know that?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Folks, I might as well point this out, since some of you have forgotten how a schoolyard actually works.

1. He will not be considered 'trendy' by the other kids, despite what your idiot friend thought over a frappachino.
    2. Any boy showing up with painted nails is either going to be bullied for life, or relegated to the sissy and freaks group. And probably bullied for life.
    3. Any chance he had of making the football team and doing Daddy proud has just evaporated.

On the plus side, you will provide him with years of humiliation and deep seated anger which he might one day turn into an award winning death metal album. So yeah, go right ahead and ruin his life.

Or he might just smother you with a pillow one night.

Let me guess;

1. Bryan Adams is your favourite singer.
    2. You wear check shirts & tuck them into your jeans.
    3. Your favourite movie star is John Claude Van Damme.
    4. You only ever drink beer. Wine is for women.
    5. You hate travelling coz you don't like foreign food. Or foreigners.
    6. You refuse to watch foreign films coz if you wanted to read "you'd buy a book".
    7. You don't read books. That's ghey.
    8. You think Christiano Ronaldo is a fag.
    9. You've never had a night out off your head on pills.
    10. You still live in the same area where you grew up & wouldn't ever consider moving from there.

I bet at least 6 of those apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I wore make up when I was a teenager... painted nails, eyeliner... whatever I felt like.

It's a form of expression.

I did get some slagging, but I didn't give a fuck.

:D In AH, anything you say can and will be taken down and used as evidence against you......

But back on topic:

Nail varnish on a little boy trying to work the latest rock look? So what. His dad is in a band, no? He's just dressin up, same as trying to look like a spaceman, batman, policeman. All kids do it, only this kid gets taken to a salon 'cos his Mommy has more money than sense.

Personally, I'd be more concerned that she called one of her kids "Apple". Now, that's gonna cause some issues. If you don't believe me, here's two words: Peaches Geldof.

• Advertisement

I hope for his sake that he isn't.

Sardonicat wrote: »

Nail varnish on a little boy trying to work the latest rock look? So what. His dad is in a band, no? He's just dressin up, same as trying to look like a spaceman, batman, policeman. All kids do it, only this kid gets taken to a salon 'cos his Mommy has more money than sense.

Personally, I'd be more concerned that she called one of her kids "Apple". Now, that's gonna cause some issues. If you don't believe me, here's two words: Peaches Geldof.

*cough*

wrong celeb mom

*cough*

*cough*

wrong celeb mom

*cough*
    OOPS :o

I just saw the name Gwen, then looked at the pic of the kid to see what all the fuss was about.

This kid's mom is Gwen Steffani. She could dress him in a frock and and all the boys would still think he's cool.

My point about the correlation between naming your children after fruit and fcuking them up still remains, albeit off topic. Flowers, seemingly are ok, but fruit = baad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Let me guess;

1. Bryan Adams is your favourite singer.
    2. You wear check shirts & tuck them into your jeans.
    3. Your favourite movie star is John Claude Van Damme.
    4. You only ever drink beer. Wine is for women.
    5. You hate travelling coz you don't like foreign food. Or foreigners.
    6. You refuse to watch foreign films coz if you wanted to read "you'd buy a book".
    7. You don't read books. That's ghey.
    8. You think Christiano Ronaldo is a fag.
    9. You've never had a night out off your head on pills.
    10. You still live in the same area where you grew up & wouldn't ever consider moving from there.

I bet at least 6 of those apply.

:rolleyes: Just.... :rolleyes:

M'kay, I'm gonna break this down into real small pieces so you can understand.
    Schools are tough places, and children can be incredibly cruel at times. I was trying to explain to you how children will react if a boy shows up wearing painted nails. It won't be like in the cuddly disney movie where they all accept him for being different and unique. Maybe in a perfect world that would happen, but this ain't a perfect world. I have seen it happen many times in school to know this. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it really is.

So when I point out something that happens in schoolyards, it doesn't mean I condone or approve of it. I am simply pointing it out. Nor does it mean I am a redneck, like your post tries to imply.

If your son wants to wear painted nails when he is in secondary school where kids tend to be a bit more tolerant and experimenting is relatively accepted, let him. Just don't force him to when he is too young to decide.

So there, I've told you how it is. Do whatever you want with your kids. Just know it's you who is to blame if he comes home with a bloody nose in primary school. Just saying.

May I recommend watching About A Boy for an insight into how primary schools work.

Links234 wrote: »
    how do you know that?

I'm not packing gay sperm down there.

Gay doesn't run in my family ha ha!

• Advertisement

May I recommend watching About A Boy for an insight into how primary schools work.

A poor recommendation considering it features a boy in a secondary school!
    I'm not packing gay sperm down there.

Gay doesn't run in my family ha ha!

Perhaps not. The stupid gene, however, remains dominant.

A poor recommendation considering it features a boy in a secondary school!

Perhaps not. The stupid gene, however, remains dominant.

Internet tough guy over here. Stupid gene? you really have done your homework.

You don't know who I am or anything bout me so don't even start something you have no idea about.

Let's leave it at that.

Mod note Poster banned for the above.

R*tard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It doesn't skip generations so there is every chance he will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I wouldn't supress my child from doing what he/she wants to express themselves as, in my opinion they will resent you. I would warn them on the dangers of self expression but it is up to them to learn.

You don't know who I am or anything bout me so don't even start something you have no idea about.

Let's leave it at that.

R*tard

Internet tough girl FYI.

stovelid wrote: »
    It doesn't skip generations so there is every chance he will be.

I'm not biased against gay people. If my son is gay then he's gay. All I'm saying is I'm hoping my son isn't gay because I'm not gay and I'm not starting a tradition of them in my family.

My son can make his own mistakes in life but if I can stop him making such unnecessary ones then I will.

Boy's shouldn't be painting their nails either they should be outside playing sports, or with hanging their friends or inside drawing or signing or whatever their good at. Not sitting down painting their nails and braiding their hair and all the other lady like things associated with nail polish. nail polish isn't exactly in your normal men's magazine like men's health or Top Gear now is it?

Internet tough girl FYI.

Still only an internet toughie.

Doesn't excuse the fact that you make fun of people without provocation.

Quite cowardly to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marmalady

It's just a bit of paint.. wearing a bit of nail varnish isn't going to change a childs life forever.

As a child i never wore nail varnish.. it didn't turn into a lesbian tom boy, i doubt a boy wearing nail varnish is going to turn him into anything either. After all, if they are destined to be of any sexual orientation then that would have happened before any sign of nail varnish.

For anyone to be concerned about that i think needs to relax at the end of the day a child is a child and they will find everything curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Let's leave it at that.

R*tard

You're the one who sounds like the internet 'tough guy' tbh.

It's kinda funny seeing you get wound up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

oh fcukin hell to limerick dan :rolleyes:

you're so backward its frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not biased against gay people. If my son is gay then he's gay. All I'm saying is I'm hoping my son isn't gay because I'm not gay and I'm not starting a tradition of them in my family.

My son can make his own mistakes in life but if I can stop him making such unnecessary ones then I will.

Boy's shouldn't be painting their nails either they should be outside playing sports, or with hanging their friends or inside drawing or signing or whatever their good at. Not sitting down painting their nails and braiding their hair and all the other lady like things associated with nail polish. nail polish isn't exactly in your normal men's magazine like men's health or Top Gear now is it?

/shrugs

Make-up doesn't mean a man is gay. It's only cosmetics. Same with clothes. Not that I'd care about my kids being gay either.

I thought the OP was about kids anyway. My two year old is always trying to put on his mother's make-up if he gets the chance. Same with putting on her shoes. They're only children.

SV wrote: »
    You're the one who sounds like the internet 'tough guy' tbh.

It's kinda funny seeing you get wound up.

I have not got wound up. I've simply stated what you have done. For someon who is very open about boy's painting their nails you are very offended by one man's opinion.

That doesn't sound like an open minded person to me.

How can one man's OPINION offend you so much?? you'd swear I was a homo-phobe.

I have gay friends. you need to open your mind a little. ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I have not got wound up. I've simply stated what you have done. For someon who is very open about boy's painting their nails you are very offended by one man's opinion.

That doesn't sound like an open minded person to me.

How can one man's OPINION offend you so much?? you'd swear I was a homo-phobe.

I have gay friends. you need to open your mind a little. ;);)

I think you need to read a bit on this thread..
    I haven't been the one commenting ;)

I'm sensing some latent homosexuality here

SV wrote: »
    I think you need to read a bit on this thread..
    I haven't been the one commenting ;)

I'm sensing some latent homosexuality here

Here's hoping it isn't latent. If it hurries up I might have fun being gay!

Why not?? :p

But then I won't have a son and then he wouldn't be able paint his nails.

Ah ****!

Still only an internet toughie.

Doesn't excuse the fact that you make fun of people without provocation.

Quite cowardly to be honest.
    Making offensive and ignorant comments about homsexuality (your sperms not gay) and using the term "retard" as an insult is extremely brave of you.

As to being made fun of, you are on AH. The general understanding here is if you can't take don't dish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No. If he wanted them done, he'd have to learn to do them himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

WindSock wrote: »
    No. If he wanted them done, he'd have to learn to do them himself.

LOL.

Lets face it, it would be a bit of training painting his nails in how to paint properly when it comes to painting walls & celings, ain't that so manly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd paint then while he was asleep and spend the day slagging him about it.

:rolleyes: Just.... :rolleyes:

M'kay, I'm gonna break this down into real small pieces so you can understand.
    Schools are tough places, and children can be incredibly cruel at times. I was trying to explain to you how children will react if a boy shows up wearing painted nails. It won't be like in the cuddly disney movie where they all accept him for being different and unique. Maybe in a perfect world that would happen, but this ain't a perfect world. I have seen it happen many times in school to know this. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it really is.

So when I point out something that happens in schoolyards, it doesn't mean I condone or approve of it. I am simply pointing it out. Nor does it mean I am a redneck, like your post tries to imply.

If your son wants to wear painted nails when he is in secondary school where kids tend to be a bit more tolerant and experimenting is relatively accepted, let him. Just don't force him to when he is too young to decide.

So there, I've told you how it is. Do whatever you want with your kids. Just know it's you who is to blame if he comes home with a bloody nose in primary school. Just saying.

If you weren't so busy being incredibly condescending, it might have occurred to you that I am actually past school going age, so having attended school for 15 odd years, I really have little need of someone to "break it down" for me.

I don't know if you were bullied in school - that would certainly explain why you seem to have a mortal fear of your child ever being anything other than a football playing, Top Gear reading, Nuts magazine reader - but I know from my experiences in school that there were many diverse types of children, just as there are in life & although bullying did happen from time to time, it was far from being the norm as neither teachers, parents & mostly students didn't tolerate it for too long without something happening.

• Advertisement

Nevore wrote: »
    I'd paint then while he was asleep and spend the day slagging him about it.

U sly boots!

Advertisement