Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you paint your boys nails?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1333860/Gwen-Stefanis-son-Kingston-punk-haircut-mani-pedi.html

After seeing this on the Daily Mail website I just wondered how many Boardsies would paint their sons nails?
    I ask because Gwen, in my opinion, has taken it to a different level. I have friends that paint their nails & if their son sees it they will scream blue murder until they get a bit of paint on their nails, now I should point out that most of these kids are between the ages of one & a half to two & a half years of age. So it's often easier to just daub a bit of nail varnish on one of their nails to stop the tantrum.

So what do you think of little boys with painted nails?

I have to say it doesn't really bother me, but after having a conversation in work with a few people I have since discovered anyone I spoke to found it a bit strange & ghey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I dunno.
    I can't tell you if my future son will be gay or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meh, don't see the big deal about it. Would have no problem with my son having painted nails. The only reason people have any problem with it is because they are taught to have a problem with it. Social construction makes the world a much worse place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't paint my own nails, so i doubt i'd start painting my son's nails tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

well i have painted my sons nails before..he is four and he asked as he saw his sister getting hers done.

his dad wasnt happy but was i supposed to shout 'no stop its only for girls you will turn ghey'

btw i dont think it has an effect either way its only curosity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

if i had a little boy and he wanted to have his nails painted, yes, of course i would, why the hell not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Loads of young boys paint their nails these days, loads of young girls don't, and it doesn't mean anything.

if I had a son, and he wanted his nails painted, sure? why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And another thing. Little kids sucking their ma's tits? Incest if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

well i have painted my sons nails before..he is four and he asked as he saw his sister getting hers done.

his dad wasnt happy but was i supposed to shout 'no stop its only for girls you will turn ghey'

btw i dont think it has an effect either way its only curosity

Yeah, lots of people I know have done this. But do you not think it's very strange that she brought him to a salon?
    Male or female, at that age, it's very weird in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

SV wrote: »
    I dunno.
    I can't tell you if my future son will be gay or not.

Is your son douglas from the toy show? If the answer is yes then i can tell you your son will be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Definitely not, and I suspect it's one of those made-up stories to follow-on from the new ads for "men" cosmetics trying to persuade borderline men that wearing make-up, etc, is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Personally, while I doubt that I will be able to avoid messing my children up, I fully intend to never purposefully seek to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't think other peoples issues with their own sexuality or what constitutes sexuality is any reason to ban a male child from getting their nails painted. My wee man likes his painted blue...he's five. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I don't think other peoples issues with their own sexuality or what constitutes sexuality is any reason to ban a male child from getting their nails painted. My wee man likes his painted blue...he's five. :)

Did you look at the article - I doubt that kid came up with the idea for that hair and nails on his own.

More likely a desperate celebrity looking for media coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Definitely not, and I suspect it's one of those made-up stories to follow-on from the new ads for "men" cosmetics trying to persuade borderline men that wearing make-up, etc, is acceptable.

So you have a problem with paint?!:rolleyes:

The whole of manhood in Europe 200 yrs ago wore make up every day. So do tribes in the jungles as its seen to be manly. Definitely not made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Did you look at the article - I doubt that kid came up with the idea for that hair and nails on his own.

More likely a desperate celebrity looking for media coverage.

No kid comes up with the idea for their own haircut - I certainly didn't champion the bowl cut I was so kindly given as a nipper...the nails could quite easily have been his idea - I have a huge collection of varnishes and my two quite regularly pick out colours to decorate toes and fingers. They don't view it any different than face paints, it's just peculiar adults that read more into it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wouldn't see any reason to make a distinction between son or daughter but personally think anyone that would take it upon themselves to paint their 18 month olds nails is an odd, odd person. They are not your dolls to play with for fukk sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I never wear nail varnish, but would have put it on his nails if he had asked. He did like wearing my mother's high heels anytime we visited though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

No. Unless you want your son appearing in this video at some point in the future

(Yeah it was posted a few days ago but dammit its relevant here!:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

kelle wrote: »
    I never wear nail varnish, but would have put it on his nails if he had asked. He did like wearing my mother's high heels anytime we visited though!

:eek: where's the cute kitteh gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

Boys don't paint there nails. painted nails = bullied for life!

That's my opinion. My future son will never have his nails painted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

nails are grand but it's that hairstyle i'd be worried about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Folks, I might as well point this out, since some of you have forgotten how a schoolyard actually works.

1. He will not be considered 'trendy' by the other kids, despite what your idiot friend thought over a frappachino.
    2. Any boy showing up with painted nails is either going to be bullied for life, or relegated to the sissy and freaks group. And probably bullied for life.
    3. Any chance he had of making the football team and doing Daddy proud has just evaporated.

On the plus side, you will provide him with years of humiliation and deep seated anger which he might one day turn into an award winning death metal album. So yeah, go right ahead and ruin his life.

Or he might just smother you with a pillow one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Perhaps she was going to the nail bar herself and just didn't want him to be sitting there bored, waiting for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Afraid to break the norm that sounds like.

Guess you will object to him having spikey hair as well as dying it red.:rolleyes:

Point being, so feckin what if some ignorant twats object to what my future son wants to decorate himself with or even going against the norm of short back and sides with a bit of long hair showing individuality, its none of their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fairness what do you expect? The dad looks like a bigger fruit than his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

This one time, my boyfriend fell asleep on the couch and I painted his toenails pink.

He didn't notice.

His Tae Kwon Do mates did.

Hilarity did not ensue. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,999 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

His first port of call when he leaves home will be the cosmetics counter at Debenhams. He'll find it irresistible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wore make up when I was a teenager... painted nails, eyeliner... whatever I felt like.

It's a form of expression.

I did get some slagging, but I didn't give a fuck.

My dad, however, was less open minded than I was & it caused major rifts between us. Looking back now, I can see that he was probably just trying to protect me, but I didn't realise that at the time & resented him for it.

So, if you do ever have a son, let him paint his nails if he wants to - otherwise he'll just hate you for it.

3. Any chance he had of making the football team and doing Daddy proud has just evaporated.

So the only way of a boy making his Daddy proud is by making the football team?

That's not how it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

1. He will not be considered 'trendy' by the other kids, despite what your idiot friend thought over a frappachino.
    2. Any boy showing up with painted nails is either going to be bullied for life, or relegated to the sissy and freaks group. And probably bullied for life.

I often wore it growing up and can't say I experienced any kind of bullying, and in relation didn't some footballer wear it a few years ago???...probably went unnoticed because of how quiet and reserved he is.

Advertisement