Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stuff to watch on TV etc Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I don't think I've ever laughed so much as I did at his impression of the gay german looking for his "Handie"

You have to wonder about some of the things they come up with. I remember one episode where they said Chicken Tikka Masala was actually invented in Scotland. Which I of course passed on as gospel truth in coversation, only to have to justify it with "I saw it on QI". Definitely reduces the clout of one's argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Football, football and more football :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I don't think I've ever laughed so much as I did at his impression of the gay german looking for his "Handie"

You have to wonder about some of the things they come up with. I remember one episode where they said Chicken Tikka Masala was actually invented in Scotland. Which I of course passed on as gospel truth in coversation, only to have to justify it with "I saw it on QI". Definitely reduces the clout of one's argument.
    Strangely enough, in 1st year anthropology we did all about the reappropriation of cultures into other things, and lots of serious academic work references glasgow or london as the home of tikka masala. It's a matter of debate right now apparently.

There have been two things I've spotted that were wrong on QI. One was they said some mammal was the only mammal to have poison (can't remember what it was, but it wasn't the pygmy shrew which is poisonous).
    Second thing was about helium effecting the pitch of your voice. Fry said it only effected timbre by increasing the frequency, but pitch is determined by frequency not timbre.

Of course, a million other people had got there already by the time I got to the internet so my indignant request for a clarification never happened.

There is also that undeniable but completely pretentious thrill of getting all the questions right in an episode. It's only happened with like two episodes but I almost felt like I should expect a medal in the post awarding me for my ability to retain completely pointless information

Watching a few episodes before bed now, in absolute stitches!

There is also that undeniable but completely pretentious thrill of getting all the questions right in an episode. It's only happened with like two episodes but I almost felt like I should expect a medal in the post awarding me for my ability to retain completely pointless information

Watching a few episodes before bed now, in absolute stitches!

i would watch QI all day every day if they made enough of them

• Advertisement

Only criticism would be the theme tune does my nut in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

+1 for Breaking Bad

+1 for QI

+1 for The US Office

The Ricky Gervais Show

Live at the Apollo occasionally has some good acts on it.

Some of the Louis Theroux documentaries are interesting

As for Curb your Enthusiasm, I could never get into that show nor do I understood why it's so popular...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

acman wrote: »
    Some of the Louis Theroux documentaries are interesting...

I just watched the episode where he visits the boer nationalists in South Africa. Pretty nuts! The ease in which he angers Eugene Terreblanche (who was subsequently hacked to death by the way) is hilarious in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The TV program that inspires me the most each week is the "Culture Show" on BBC2. Everyone from Squarepusher to Scorsese and much much more is featured and as many of my favourite musicians say it's good to sample from all the arts, not just your particular field.

"QI" entertains me the most each week...

acman wrote: »
    +1 for Breaking Bad

+1 for QI

+1 for The US Office

The Ricky Gervais Show

Live at the Apollo occasionally has some good acts on it.

Some of the Louis Theroux documentaries are interesting

As for Curb your Enthusiasm, I could never get into that show nor do I understood why it's so popular...

+1 for everything there.
    Louis Theroux's documentaries are absolutely fascinating. The way he winds people up in such a non-confrontational way is gas.

Only thing that bugs me about a lot of the Live at the Apollo stuff is that there are a lot of family-friendly comedians who aren't funny or witty. Russel Howard being the finest example.
    There is nothing more annoying than a crap comedian. I don't know why that is, but it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Someone mentioned Dylan Moran on the Random etc thread & reminded me,

Black books is great

LCD Soundsystem frontman James Murphy is on the The Culture Show tonight BBC2 23.55 after Buzzcocks which I also watch as its vaguely to do with music isn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Picked up season 1 of The Unit. Very good so far, about 6 episodes in. 4 seasons of it so I think I'll be getting more :D

One show I always recommend is The Shield. Best TV series ever made in my opinion, and anyone who picks up Season 1 just gets instantly hooked on it. Well worth a look if you like your TV gritty, violent and even brutal in some parts.

What I learnt from The Culture Show tonight:- James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem refuses to use any digital or a laptop on stage, he much prefers his analogue gear, cheap analog at that and his own home made synths and he even uses a ****ty battered 1980s Squire telecaster as his main axe. I don't know much about the man's music but I like the way he works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Downloaded this during the week while at home bored.

RESTREPO: OUTPOST AFGHANISTAN

Currently on national geographic channel.
    eaturing unprecedented access to troops in the heat of battle, Restrepo: Outpost Afghanistan reveals the tears, the tragedy, the tedium and, ultimately, the truth about living and fighting on the Afghan frontline.

Once dubbed 'the deadliest place on earth' by CNN, the remote Korengal Valley of eastern Afghanistan has witnessed some of the most brutal fighting of the war on terror. In this Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Prize-winning documentary, acclaimed British photojournalist Tim Hetherington and author Sebastian Junger offer an unflinching view of life direct from the frontline of this unforgiving territory. Shot over a 15-month period imbedded with the Second Platoon of Battle Company of the 173rd Airborne Brigade, the film combines first-hand footage with harrowing interviews to tell the story of the soldiers stationed in the Korengal.

Starting in June 2007, the movie follows the platoon's efforts to establish OP Restrepo - a lonely 15-man outpost deep in Taliban territory, named in honour of fallen medic Juan 'Doc' Restrepo. Facing constant fire fights in extreme conditions, the strain on the soldiers is colossal, with Hetherington and Junger sharing every heart-rending experience. As casualties mount, only the filmmakers' close relationship with the men of the platoon allows the cameras to keep rolling resulting in shocking footage beyond the reach of most journalists. More intimate still is their touching portrait of the soldiers themselves, as they struggle to maintain morale in the toughest of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Finished Boardwalk Empire - watched the series finale last night. Have to say - it is excellent. Was reserving my judgement at the start because it was quite slow I thought to get going, everything is very subtle, but it is suberbly put together - I get the feeling you could watch it a few times and pick up little things with each viewing, a lot of thought was put into it.

Would definitely recommend. Sorry it's over now, at a loose end again for stuff to watch. Back to old David Attenborough for me.

Also, with all the snow, I've watched all 5 seasons of The Wire again. Bit of a disappointment. So many holes, there's at least a couple in every episode. It's not suited for multiple viewings if you ask me. And to those who think it's better than The Sopranos, I scoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Based on the recommendation of folks around here I decided to give It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia a look and downloaded the first 4 seasons. I spent the first 2 wondering what the fuss was all about, enjoyed the 3rd and started the 4th season the other night. Then it clicked. That 1st episode about the man-hunt/human meat eating has to be one of the funniest episodes of any show I've ever seen. Hooked and about to start season 5 when I get back from our Christmas piss-up. Thanks to all who suggested the show.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Someone in another thread mentioned some documentary about the food industry, can anyone remind me what it was I really want to watch it.

This is worth a look:

Food Inc:

Another few random doco's I like

Bill Maher - Religulous
    #

The Corporation:

Others on Polotics/War/Oil/Religion:

What I learned about American Foreign Policy
    Manufacturing Dessent
    Jesus Camp
    Weapons of Mass Deception
    The fog of war
    Outfoxed (Fox Network)
    Black Gold

I'll add more details/links etc about them tomorrow I gotta run - but they are all worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I watched a bit of that Jesus Camp a while back. I just cant stomach that ****, im better off watching it. Once you become an anti-theist, you're best off retreating from any interest in religious politics. Sadly I cant.

Anyone here a fan of Sam Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zascar wrote: »
    Someone in another thread mentioned some documentary about the food industry, can anyone remind me what it was I really want to watch it.
    Think that was me. The documentary series is called The Foods that Make Billions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Did up a list for someone else, so here's a list of incredible films that everyone here should watch.

The Princess Bride
    Clockwork Orange
    Diving Bell and The Butterfly
    The Lives of Others
    Babel
    Amores Perros
    City of God
    21 Grams
    Brick
    Goodbye Lenin
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Falling Down
    Human Traffic
    Dazed and Confused
    Hunger
    12 Monkeys
    Fargo
    The Big Lebowski
    Withnail & I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

Did up a list for someone else, so here's a list of incredible films that everyone here should watch.

The Princess Bride
    Clockwork Orange
    Diving Bell and The Butterfly
    The Lives of Others
    Babel
    Amores Perros
    City of God
    21 Grams
    Brick
    Goodbye Lenin
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Falling Down
    Human Traffic
    Dazed and Confused
    Hunger
    12 Monkeys
    Fargo
    The Big Lebowski
    Withnail & I

Have seen a good few of these, +1 on city of god for sure!

Babel was possibly the most blood boiling film I've ever seen. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

jtsuited wrote: »
    Babel was possibly the most blood boiling film I've ever seen. Awful.

I respectfully disagree. It's a brilliantly made film, Iñárritu is an incredible producer & director, and Babel is one of his best works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I respectfully disagree. It's a brilliantly made film, Iñárritu is an incredible producer & director, and Babel is one of his best works.

Nah, I agree with Jeff, it was tripe.

Thought this was the TV thread? There was a movies thread wasn't there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056097512

Here it is. Back to work today, grumpy.

Who wants a row?

joker77 wrote: »
    Thought this was the TV thread? There was a movies thread wasn't there

There was… once. It got lost in the mists of time…

So anyone see anything decent on the box over Christmas? Can't say I did…

joker77 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056097512

Here it is. Back to work today, grumpy.

Who wants a row?

I'm too tired and depressed to argue. Sigh…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So anyone see anything decent on the box over Christmas? Can't say I did…
    Father Ted Night was good. The documentary where the writers and actors went back to "Craggy Island" was particularly good. Although it was strange that Pauline McLynn didn't want to be involved.

They also showed Arthur Matthews and Graham Linehan's favourite film "The Heartbreak Kid" starring Charles Grodin.
    Decent movie (even if it did look like a 90min ad for Old Spice) but it didn't have a patch on "Midnight Run" which I watched again last night. Amazing film.

Advertisement