Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stuff to watch on TV etc Thread!

Options
  • 24-11-2010 11:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok this is completely OT for the forum I still think its a good idea...

Stuff you'd recommend on tv etc, with a link or a youtube preview if possible if possible! I'll start.

Breaking Bad:

A high school chemistry teacher find’s out he’s got terminal cancer and so teams up with an ex student, now drug dealer, and starts producing methamphetamine. Subsequently becomes a massive drug kingpin/badass.

Weeds
    Not too different to the above!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

cannot wait for breaking bad new season (it's bloody ages away though).
    enjoyed it more than any other tv drama (including the Wire).

My absolute favourite American comedy ever is Eastbound and Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

It's always sunny in Philadelphia:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Good idea for a thread Zascar - not sure what to contribute that's not common knowledge.

Have given up on In Treatment - watched the first and second series, am midway through the third and it's just too annoying to stick with it.

+1 on Breaking Bad, Jesse can be very irritating at times, but I suppose that's his character.

Mad Men, for me this is the best drama in recent years. Yes it's slow, yes it's too slick to be real, but the Don is well - The Don.

Boardwalk Empire is ratcheting up to a big series finale. It's at episode 10 in the States at the moment, bit of a slow burner at times, but well worth a watch.

Treme - set in New Orleans in the Treme area, 3 months after Katrina hit. A good few of the cast from the Wire are in it (Bunk and Lester are main characters), created by the same guys (David Simon and Eric Overmyer), features lots of music with real jazz/blues legends making cameos here and there.

Just realised how much American and how little British TV I watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I was gonna get In Treatment series 1 the other day as I'd heard it was good. Should I not bother with it?

• Advertisement

You could add Dexter to that list.

Probably 6 Feet Under too.

This Life is a classic series.

Also Teachers series 1 & 2 if you've not seen them. Can't seem to get any actual clips on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Modern Family.
    The best sit-com on TV at the mo if you ask me. Al bundy is older but still just as funny.

milltown wrote: »
    Modern Family.
    The best sit-com on TV at the mo if you ask me. Al bundy is older but still just as funny.

I find it can be a bit hit and miss. But I'll continue to watch for Gloria's lovely 'eyes'. Cam's character is gas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

The US Office, Weeds, Nip/Tuck, True Blood, Road Wars, and the Six One News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Anything about the nazi's & about 50% of whats on challenge:)

• Advertisement

ianuss wrote: »
    I was gonna get In Treatment series 1 the other day as I'd heard it was good. Should I not bother with it?
    I enjoyed the first couple yea, but aspects of Gabriel Byrne's character have started to really grate in the third series. The episodes are short - 22-24 minutes maybe, but there's something like 35 in each series.

Oh yea - anything by David Attenborough - Life, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Nature's Great Events - all suberb

X Factor. It's about people overcoming startling adversity like a family pet dying, being a pikey or working in Tescos and discovering that they can be a star. Its full of drama because they have these people judging the singing who are always bickering with each other but deep down they all have hearts of gold, except for the one who wears a bit of black shag carpet on his head. He is a monster.

X Factor. It's about people overcoming startling adversity like a family pet dying, being a pikey .............

Ah ye, so being a pikey is a burden to be overcome now........you wernt saying that when you were buying them gates off me:D

Ah ye, so being a pikey is a burden to be overcome now........you wernt saying that when you were buying them gates off me:D

Ah sure I had to buy them off you. You were scaring me with your small hands and gypsy ways

Ah sure I had to buy them off you. You were scaring me with your small hands and gypsy ways

Well, gates & X-Factor aside, do you wanna buy a Dag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

The complete Season 14 of South Park! Episodes like 'Medicinal Fried Chicken', 'You Have 0 Friends' and the add ons to 'The Coon' have been brilliant.

http://www.watchsouthparkonline.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Off Topic..but can anyone on here tell me something... The Budweiser ad on tv these days, quite a long one, a snooker ball getting pushed from the top of a building with people standing round drinking bottles of beer waaiting for something to happen....can anyone tell me the tune used???. Heard it before,its wrecking my head every time i see it..cheers:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ianuss wrote: »
    This Life is a classic series.

Also Teachers series 1 & 2 if you've not seen them. Can't seem to get any actual clips on youtube.

Andrew Lincoln is a great actor... Kind of weird seeing him play an American in "The Walking Dead" though!
    That'd have to be my choice of the moment anyway

tman wrote: »
    Andrew Lincoln is a great actor... Kind of weird seeing him play an American in "The Walking Dead" though!
    That'd have to be my choice of the moment anyway

Ye, totally agree. But his accent, as Officer Friendly from 'up the roadaways', is terrible in The Walking Dead. It really bugged me during the first episode but it doesn't anymore. But I still don't quite understand why they don't use US actors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Presumably we're talking current stuff? If not, then I'd have to nominate OZ as being THE best television series ever.

SteoL wrote: »
    Presumably we're talking current stuff? If not, then I'd have to nominate OZ as being THE best television series ever.

Ye, good shout.

Actually, Prison Break series 1 was good too. But you have to make sure that you never watch any more as it gets ludicrously retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

More top comedy in the form of Curb Your Enthusiasm

curb.jpg

Larry David is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Dunno if any of you have seen this film yet but its easily one of the funniest movies ive seen in years.

Its kind of a Dads army version of islamic terrorism.

The film was written and directed by chris morris.

If you havent seen the comedy shows hes made in the past like Brasseye, The day today and jam then you dont know what youve been missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Found that music from the Bud ad so you can all stop worrying....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought you said you were a nurse!

No,i said i was a ward sister!

SteveDon wrote: »
    Dunno if any of you have seen this film yet but its easily one of the funniest movies ive seen in years.

Its kind of a Dads army version of islamic terrorism.

The film was written and directed by chris morris.

If you havent seen the comedy shows hes made in the past like Brasseye, The day today and jam then you dont know what youve been missing

Four Lions had me proper laughing my ass off. One of the funniest films i've ever seen. Rubber Dingy Rapids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

On top of all the greats mentioned in the thread already, I love QI and Wire in the Blood. I have a weakness for murder/thriller things. Frost and Morse and the likes too. Thank god for the anonymity of the internet.:o

On the subject of TV shows, is it just me that thinks How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory are godawful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

On the subject of TV shows, is it just me that thinks How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory are godawful?

There complete ****e.
    I think they appeal to the sort of audience who like Two and a half men(cue Zascar :) )

• Advertisement

On top of all the greats mentioned in the thread already, I love QI

By far my favourite thing ever. ever. out of anything. ever.

Advertisement