Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stuff to watch on TV etc Thread!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah the Father Ted thing was great, its still on 4OD if you want to have a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've loads of other stuff recorded that I'll eventually get through over the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I got a little media player thingy you hook to the TV and run USB drives through so I ended up watching a couple of movies when I had the time. Kick Ass was great, Inception was alright, Despicable Me was great, Rec 2 and Shrek 3 were a bit meh and The Other Guys was grand for what it was. It was admittedly pretty brain dead watching. The rest of the time was spent being almost unconscious from chocolate consumption and desperately avoiding the urge to poo due to water shortages. Great days…

All that said, I did actually enjoy the Christmas. The most relaxing one in years…

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Speaking of media player things, has anyone got that new Apple TV device? I was looking at it before Christmas, looks the dogs but keen to hear feedback.

I watched the entire Pacific series over Christmas, got it as a present on DVD - not bad, preferred Band of Brothers.

Speaking of media player things, has anyone got that new Apple TV device? I was looking at it before Christmas, looks the dogs but keen to hear feedback.
    Just get yourself a media centre instead.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just get yourself a media centre instead.

I've been using a networked hard drive hooked up to the PS3 for watching some movies etc but need something better alright. Why do you say a media centre over the Apple? - Any suggestions on what media centre?

I've been using a networked hard drive hooked up to the PS3 for watching some movies etc but need something better alright. Why do you say a media centre over the Apple? - Any suggestions on what media centre?

I wouldn’t be the most tech savvy person when it comes to ins and outs of computers, I’d know my way around them but wouldn’t know too much about the nuts and bolts. Luckily enough a mate of mine does know his stuff when it comes to the aul computer boxes. He’d done all the research into media centre setups when they came out first and he suggested that I get one. That was back in 2006 and I’ve been using it since then, and it’s the business. Basically it’s a normal PC with a TV card and you just run the Media Centre application/program for your TV, Music, Videos, etc. The guide is brilliant on it and if you get a dual tuner you can record one channel and watch another at the same time. But the best thing about having it all together is that you can download movies on it and watch them straight away without having to transfer to a media player, etc. etc.

Plus you can surf the net on it. Now I’m sure it’s moved on leaps and bounds since I got mine, I’m still running mine on XP on a 5 year old computer. You basically just need a PC and a TV card, and a wireless keyboard (not totally necessary but definitely recommended) and away you go. There’s a dedicated forum here which should answer any of the more technical stuff, but sure ask away and I'll offer my limited knowledge on the subject! :)

I wouldn’t be the most tech savvy person when it comes to ins and outs of computers, I’d know my way around them but wouldn’t know too much about the nuts and bolts. Luckily enough a mate of mine does know his stuff when it comes to the aul computer boxes. He’d done all the research into media centre setups when they came out first and he suggested that I get one. That was back in 2006 and I’ve been using it since then, and it’s the business. Basically it’s a normal PC with a TV card and you just run the Media Centre application/program for your TV, Music, Videos, etc. The guide is brilliant on it and if you get a dual tuner you can record one channel and watch another at the same time. But the best thing about having it all together is that you can download movies on it and watch them straight away without having to transfer to a media player, etc. etc.

Plus you can surf the net on it. Now I’m sure it’s moved on leaps and bounds since I got mine, I’m still running mine on XP on a 5 year old computer. You basically just need a PC and a TV card, and a wireless keyboard (not totally necessary but definitely recommended) and away you go. There’s a dedicated forum here which should answer any of the more technical stuff, but sure ask away and I'll offer my limited knowledge on the subject! :)

I'd be shot dead if I added much more in the way of hardware to my sitting room!

I was thinking along the lines of this from Iomega, nice and neat - it was just when I saw the Apple box (which I haven't really researched yet properly) it looked nicer but possibly lacks in features .

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=26415&type=product

I'd be shot dead if I added much more in the way of hardware to my sitting room!

I was thinking along the lines of this from Iomega, nice and neat - it was just when I saw the Apple box (which I haven't really researched yet properly) it looked nicer but possibly lacks in features .

Haha. It does have a high WAF alright. But that said, you can get a dedicated Media Centre setup that's basically a PC within a DVD sized box. Or you can get a really small neat PC nowadays for fairly cheap. Plus I've yet to see anybody that has failed to be impressed once they've seen what you can do with the setup.

It's certainly something to have a look at.

Haha. It does have a high WAF alright. But that said, you can get a dedicated Media Centre setup that's basically a PC within a DVD sized box. Or you can get a really small neat PC nowadays for fairly cheap. Plus I've yet to see anybody that has failed to be impressed once they've seen what you can do with the setup.

It's certainly something to have a look at.

True, I was looking at the likes of this also which would sit behind the TV, same size as any hard drive unit.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27286&type=product

Anyway, I can't afford it for the moment so I'm only tormenting myself by even researching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I got the one below that with no hard drive on it.

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay/tvlink-director/?partner=4725

I have a 16GB usb key drive which is all I need to download what I want to watch and plug into it. If I had the house networked I wouldn't even need to plug a drive into it I could run it off the ethernet. It's a handy little bit of kit for a hundred euros.

I got the one below that with no hard drive on it.

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/multimedia-drive/screenplay/tvlink-director/?partner=4725

I have a 16GB usb key drive which is all I need to download what I want to watch and plug into it. If I had the house networked I wouldn't even need to plug a drive into it I could run it off the ethernet. It's a handy little bit of kit for a hundred euros.

Yeah that looks the job alright - I already have a 1TB network drive so I could connect it up to that.

See if I can have the budget agreed for Feb sometime...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Dont know if this was posted on here but i fuc.kin love this, watched a marathon of em from 10:00pm to 3:00am there only last week,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Books

Eastbound and Down from HBO, funniest show I have seen in years, they were airing it on Fx a while back. Kenny is the man + Katy Mixon gets her whops out in the first season

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I keep hearing its great, I must get it asap. I have no idea who Katy Mixon is, but I just googled.... nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Eastbound and Down is one of the funniest comedies you'll see....

FYI, they weren't her boobs. She had a body double!!!!! Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Bumping this thread because there's been a few shows I've watched lately which I thought were well worth a watch.

Wilfred
    Workaholics
    Boardwalk Empire is brilliant

And has anyone seem Black Mirror, on Channel 4? If not, you should check it out. The first episode aired last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

The Walking Dead (into season 2 now) - Dont care what the 'intelligent' TV watchers think but I like it!

:D

Advertisement