Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ColinM9991

bealtine wrote: »
    Well there's essentially no such thing in the standard space VDSL cable etc...
    You'll need to approach someone like e-net or a proper telco

I've just emailed e-net regarding this, in the mean time are there any other alternatives or people I should contact; that you would recommend?

I've looked far too long toward the road of ISP's and not enough time of going independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Hello, hopefully I'm posting in the right section. I'm looking for wireless broadband to work on my ipad in laois. I watch a lot of tv and movies so I'd be leaning towards an unlimited option. I'm not sure what's the minimum recommended speed for being able to watch netflix and similar.I don't want tv or phone with it, just the broadband.Could anyone point my in the right direction, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hello, hopefully I'm posting in the right section. I'm looking for wireless broadband to work on my ipad in laois. I watch a lot of tv and movies so I'd be leaning towards an unlimited option. I'm not sure what's the minimum recommended speed for being able to watch netflix and similar.I don't want tv or phone with it, just the broadband.Could anyone point my in the right direction, thanks

Wireless broadband is not the same as wifi.

You'll need a "modem" that converts the "wireless broadband" provided to "normal wifi" for use with an ipad.

Different wireless providers provide different equipment you'll need to check with your prospective provider.

Try http://irelandoffline.org/mapbeta

Type your town into the top right search box or just scroll around, then click wireless in the left hand sidebar

• Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

Hi

I'm moving to a rural area in Co. Laois and it looks like Satellite Broadband is my only option. I've heard and read the horror stories but my needs are very simple.

I work from home and 2mb download and 0.5 upload (office hours) will do me fine and that will probably even support my blueface phone as it does now.

Onwave seem to have the best overall package but are they are working off a over-capacity network. (rumour?)

Has anyone had a positive experience with Onwave/qsat etc?...Is it worth the risk (250 install plus 2 yr contract) or should I just look into renting an office for now and wait for a FWA provider to service the area?

all ideas and opinions welcome

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

doconn wrote: »
    Hi

I'm moving to a rural area in Co. Laois and it looks like Satellite Broadband is my only option. I've heard and read the horror stories but my needs are very simple.

Has anyone had a positive experience with Onwave/qsat etc?...Is it worth the risk (250 install plus 2 yr contract) or should I just look into renting an office for now and wait for a FWA provider to service the area?

Avoid satellite if at all possible

Check in the area for any Fixed Wireless providers

http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/

Click Fixed Wireless in the top left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 doconn

thanks Bealtine - there's an obstruction between me and the mast so FWA is off the table...

If I could avoid SBB, I would ....but was hoping there would be some good experiences that could lull me into a false sense of optimism??

Anybody?....

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It will depend where in Laois you are moving to. There is a choice of FWA operators covering the county. While the Ireland Offline map is useful I do not think it provides sufficient information as to FWA providers. To the best of my knowledge there is at least 3 main players covering the county - Imagine (Wimax), Ripplecom and Digiweb (Metro). For Metro you would need to be within 5-10km from Portlaoise. to avail of it.

As for fibre have a look at the Eircom wholesale site to see if your area may be enabled soon. Click on the "NGA Fibre Broadband Network" and enter the county. Magnify the map to your location and see what is or will be potentially available.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hi All, moving into a new place in Galway city and wondering what internet package to get. In the house I was previously in we had a 30MB UPC package and the 4 of us were all streaming and downloading.

There will only be 2 of us in this new apartment and netiher of us torrent so general browsing and streaming an episode or 2 on netflix a night is about as much as we'd be doing.

What would you recommend? Little bit clueless about this sort of thing so sorry for the noob question

deisedude wrote: »
    Hi All, moving into a new place in Galway city and wondering what internet package to get. In the house I was previously in we had a 30MB UPC package and the 4 of us were all streaming and downloading.

There will only be 2 of us in this new apartment and netiher of us torrent so general browsing and streaming an episode or 2 on netflix a night is about as much as we'd be doing.

What would you recommend? Little bit clueless about this sort of thing so sorry for the noob question

Hello

As you were with UPC in your old address see if they can transfer your account to the new one, as they do offer a moving home service. If UPC is unavailable then check if fiber services are available. If so there are a few options there.

Fixed wireless is also an option with speeds up to 30Mb depending on supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hello

As you were with UPC in your old address see if they can transfer your account to the new one, as they do offer a moving home service. If UPC is unavailable then check if fiber services are available. If so there are a few options there.

Fixed wireless is also an option with speeds up to 30Mb depending on supplier.

Thank you, in the previous house another housemate had it in their name so I'll have to set up a new account

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Thank you, in the previous house another housemate had it in their name so I'll have to set up a new account

Obviously this housemate is moving on. See if he or she can get UPC to have the account transferred to your name. If this is possible and the service can be moved to the new address then there should be no need to open a new account with them unless their current packages are available there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Does anyone have any idea of who sells the best value 4G dongle which is sold unlocked or which can be easily unlocked after?

I'm not interested in Bill pay, just an outright buy and own device which I can then use with any operator.

EDIT - I have been trying to find an operator who sells prepay 4G to test signal, reliability etc before committing to anything long term, the only one I can see offering 4G on prepay for a small initial fee to enable this is Three but they don't have coverage in my area or most of the country either from their own coverage map.

I am in a meteor 4G area but they don't do prepay from what I can gather from their website unless I'm missing something. Can anyone give me an idea of how I could go about finding out who has the best and most reliable coverage in my area without having to sign up to a bill pay contract first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've a tourist coming over to the West who needs broadband for their laptop for two weeks. It must be fast, reliable and cheap. Any recommendations for a hot spot device and a plan? or possibly a reliable mobile phone tethering option
    Similar to https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/pay-as-you-go/huawei-e5220-mobile-hotspot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've a tourist coming over to the West who needs broadband for their laptop for two weeks. It must be fast, reliable and cheap. Any recommendations for a hot spot device and a plan? or possibly a reliable mobile phone tethering option
    Similar to https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/pay-as-you-go/huawei-e5220-mobile-hotspot
    fast, reliable and cheap ?

LOL

are they going to towns / cities , or do they expect broadband in the middle of Mayo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

I'm living on Love Lane east and it seems to be a complete dead zone for broadband , we can't get UPC or Vodafone ... I've contacted Magnet in the meantime , is there anyone else I can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

Hey guys I am in the Lusk area in Fingal, Dublin.
    At the moment I'm with Ripple and I'm not happy with the internet speeds at all.
    Does anyone in this area have any alternative companies or am I stuck with these for the foreseeable future?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Hey I am looking for broadband in Strokestown Roscommon. As far as I know eircom and imagine are available. Any advice on how to compare and find out who else is providing in my area? Thanks

TrueIt wrote: »
    Hey guys I am in the Lusk area in Fingal, Dublin.
    At the moment I'm with Ripple and I'm not happy with the internet speeds at all.
    Does anyone in this area have any alternative companies or am I stuck with these for the foreseeable future?
    Thanks in advance

Hi TrueIt.

There are alternatives to Ripple in the Lusk area. Firstly fibre is available but a lot will depend on where you live in it. As for fixed wireless there is Metro from Digiweb, which offers packages from 5Mb to 30Mb and all packages include phone services. visit http://www.digiweb.ie for further info. There may also be Wimax from Imagine http://www.imagine.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

Hi all,
    l live at Newcastlewest , CoLimerick.
    I need 6 mb download and 2 mb internet speed for my work. Can you please advise ISP around this area.
    Thank you all

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hi all,
    l live at Newcastlewest , CoLimerick.
    I need 6 mb download and 2 mb internet speed for my work. Can you please advise ISP around this area.
    Thank you all
    Eircom's efibre will be available in Newcastlewest from July 2014. To be honest it's phoneline or nothing in Newcastlewest becasue you won't get 6 down, 2 up with any fixed wirless or mobile company.

I'd get onto eircom or a company that resells efibre and ask if it will be available where you live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭brady12

Living in north clare in lisdoonvarna ,need get away from ripple because there service is a joke . Lightnet sales rep telling me there service good for online gaming.im sceptical . Surely not? High pings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there...

I'm in Naas and currently with Vodafone, getting around 10Mbs. We're thinking of moving to either Eircom or UPC (luckily both of their Fibre products are available to us). We're just moving the Broadband/Phone, not the TV service.

UPC is a little cheaper, but there seems to be a lot of issues with their service/Modom here on Boards. Would Boardsies recommend UPC or Eircom? I'd either be going with Eircom's up to 100Mbs or UPC's up to 120Mbs, and I'd be using Wifi in the house.

Thanks...

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there...

I'm in Naas and currently with Vodafone, getting around 10Mbs. We're thinking of moving to either Eircom or UPC (luckily both of their Fibre products are available to us). We're just moving the Broadband/Phone, not the TV service.

UPC is a little cheaper, but there seems to be a lot of issues with their service/Modom here on Boards. Would Boardsies recommend UPC or Eircom? I'd either be going with Eircom's up to 100Mbs or UPC's up to 120Mbs, and I'd be using Wifi in the house.

Thanks...

J.

Hi JasonB

Vodafone offer fibre services in Naas and are cheaper than Eircom. So it might be worth contacting them to confirm if you can upgrade to it. As you are aware fibre offers a higher upload speed than UPC (nearly double) and modems are usually offer better wi fi than UPC. Also Vodafone are in partnership with the ESB and Naas is one of the towns listed for this new fibre offering with speeds up to (they claim 1Gps).

As for UPC if they are available to you then you're lucky. I live close to the town centre in Naas and they refused to give it to me when I looked for it. Their cable ran along my back garden until they came in and removed it (without permission I may add)

As I mentioned earlier talk to Vodafone first and see if they will upgrade you. It is worth a shot.

Regards

Thanks for your reply...

I'd a quick look at Vodafone and they're €35 for just Broadband and €45 for Broadband and Home Phone (which is the same as Eircom).

UPC are definitely available to me, they've confirmed that.

So I'm looking at the following:

100Mbs Unlimited with Off Peak Calls for €45 a month from Eircom
    120Mbs Unlimited with Off Peak Calls for €44 a month from UPC
    100Mbs Unlimited with Anytime Calls for €45 a month from Vodafone.

I'd save more in the first 6 months with Eircom/UPC as they have deals on. But apart from that, it really comes down to what service I'd get from the 3 companies, and how good are their speeds really...

J.

No problem JasonB

One thing I forgot to mention if you have a monitored alarm like Phonewatch or one that sends SMS/text messages when activated then UPC are out, as they do not support it. As for Vodafone or Eircom you will need to check with them this if it supported by them.

As for the deals you quote The Vodafone anytime seems to be better, as it also includes unlimited UK calls in it, whereas Eircom only offer 30 minutes a month. Just to note Vodafone/Eircom contracts are usually at least 18 months whereas UPC is usually 12.

Thanks for that additional info... So what are people's thoughts on the three options I have, which would you go for, in terms of quality of Broadband and Service?

Thanks...

J.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Hey folks,

Just moved to Terenure/Kimmage area, and wondering who to go with.

I need fast enough speeds as I work from home a good bit, unlimited downloads, and I also don't want more than a 12 month contract.

Any tips/suggestions?

Considering Magnet, but after searching the forum I was put off :p

UPC said it's an older system in place so the best then can give me is their 24mb package. Magnet can do the 100mb package, which leads me to believe they might be lying about the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Hey,

Is the address finder on the UPC website gone? The one to see what's available in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Bst BB in Jacob's Island ? Have possibility of Sky free for 2 years, but currently with the excellent Nova. Any good/bad experiences of Sky BB (they claim unlimited downloads but don't think this is the case), and what speed can you expect wired and wireless ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just moved to Terenure/Kimmage area, and wondering who to go with.

I need fast enough speeds as I work from home a good bit, unlimited downloads, and I also don't want more than a 12 month contract.

Any tips/suggestions?

Considering Magnet, but after searching the forum I was put off :p

UPC said it's an older system in place so the best then can give me is their 24mb package. Magnet can do the 100mb package, which leads me to believe they might be lying about the speeds.

UPC use their own infrastructure (co-ax cable) so would have nothing to do with the speeds Magnet (through your phone line) could offer you.If Magnet said they could offer you 100mb then Eircom and other re-sellers (Vodafone etc) should be able to offer you the same.

Advertisement