Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

padraig91 wrote: »
    The awkward moment when an arts student tries to make a Venn diagram and FAILS
    This is boards.ie NOT Facebook.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Awkward moment when a Boards user criticises someone's intelligence while borrowing their sense of humour from Facebook.

Not really a "bitch" but a suggestion.. you'd think they'd let all students log onto the 'post grad' computers downstairs in the Cairnes. You only ever see a handful of students actually using them and it's probably the nicest place to study with all the natural light and nice building and whatnot! Certainly better than the roasting hot open-access suite in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Not really a "bitch" but a suggestion.. you'd think they'd let all students log onto the 'post grad' computers downstairs in the Cairnes. You only ever see a handful of students actually using them and it's probably the nicest place to study with all the natural light and nice building and whatnot! Certainly better than the roasting hot open-access suite in there.

There are two other open access suites in the St Anthony's part if you look hard enough. Go in through the back of the restaurant and you'll find them.

There are two other open access suites in the St Anthony's part if you look hard enough. Go in through the back of the restaurant and you'll find them.
    Not as nice and shiny as Cairnes though, plus the wifi is utterly dire there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Turn off the radiators and open the doors.

Is that why it's so hot? I always assumed it was the massive amount of brain activity going on

Programming exams with a pen and paper has to be the most awful, backward idea I have ever heard. It's not like an essay where if you make a mistake you can just cross out the last word or sentence, if you need to make corrections or revisions to your code you end up having to cross out huge parts of it, writing them out again. It's a nightmare if you forget to add in a line, or if you forget to indent something. Completely absurd that in this day and age they haven't devised a way for us to do them on a computer - even if it was just Notepad or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Programming exams with a pen and paper has to be the most awful, backward idea I have ever heard. It's not like an essay where if you make a mistake you can just cross out the last word or sentence, if you need to make corrections or revisions to your code you end up having to cross out huge parts of it, writing them out again. It's a nightmare if you forget to add in a line, or if you forget to indent something. Completely absurd that in this day and age they haven't devised a way for us to do them on a computer - even if it was just Notepad or something.

I don't mind it. It tests whether people actually understand what it is they are coding, and what everything does. The final year exam is also more theory based, not simply about the code, but how it works.

Besides, the marking is easier for a theory exam than if it was a practical exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

People who go out of their way to find out your Student ID number so they can look up your results for class tests,
    I never knew I had a stalker until one lad (who I didn't even know the name of at the time) managed to tell me the result I got in an accounting test before I even knew the result for the test were out

• Advertisement

I don't mind it. It tests whether people actually understand what it is they are coding, and what everything does.
    How does the medium you're using to write your code help test your understanding?

I'm not suggesting they let us code with the GUI whatever, but at least let us type it in a text editor where we can delete/edit/move about lines of code.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

How does the medium you're using to write your code help test your understanding?

I'm not suggesting they let us code with the GUI whatever, but at least let us type it in a text editor where we can delete/edit/move about lines of code.

I'd say the main reason is that they couldn't be bothered setting up exam accounts on the PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Back in the days of BASIC terminals if you messed up a line and needed to make a revision you couldn't just step back either ;)

But yeah, I agree completely. Set us up with Notepad, Vim or Nano and let us code away in a basic text editor. It's counter-intuitive to use a pen and paper in an exam situation. It encourages you to just learn off the code beforehand and regurgitate it in the exam. No dynamic thinking at all.

See point 3:
    12 Bonehead Misconceptions of Computer Science

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Back in the days of BASIC terminals if you messed up a line and needed to make a revision you couldn't just step back either ;)

But yeah, I agree completely. Set us up with Notepad, Vim or Nano and let us code away in a basic text editor. It's counter-intuitive to use a pen and paper in an exam situation. It encourages you to just learn off the code beforehand and regurgitate it in the exam. No dynamic thinking at all.

See point 3:
    12 Bonehead Misconceptions of Computer Science

Boards censored your link, but bull**** isn't hard to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

ZRelation wrote: »
    I'd say the main reason is that they couldn't be bothered setting up exam accounts on the PCs.

This is basically the reason. They have to enable new accounts for everyone, then set it up so you can't easily look at the person beside you.

1st year engineering AutoCAD exams are done on PC, and the year I did it, the guy who was supposed to enable the licenses for AutoCAD on the exam accounts called in sick and it wasn't done, so we ended up having to do our AutoCAD exam on pen and paper. Not pencil, paper, t-square and set squares.. pen and paper, and a ruler if you had one. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

We had a programming exam before Christmas and it was on a computer.
    We were also allowed use the internet to help, it was great. I would have failed it otherwise for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

I used to get off on writing code with a pen and paper. Probably just me though.

We had a programming exam before Christmas and it was on a computer.
    We were also allowed use the internet to help, it was great. I would have failed it otherwise for sure.

Was it a programming lab though? They're done on a computer. But in the final exam at the end of year there's always a few pen-written programs.

HotDogger wrote: »
    I used to get off on writing code with a pen and paper. Probably just me though.
    Any particular reason for the italics or am I missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Around 2pm I happpened across a perfect seat in the library..With a plug!!!..Oh I almost felt lightheaded..Sat down got everything sorted.. Went to plug in my laptop which was minutes away from being dead.. Fecking plug had had it's wire chopped off from the top. :mad:

I wasn't impressed..

Also does anyone notice how god awful the smell is in the library atm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Around 2pm I happpened across a perfect seat in the library..With a plug!!!..Oh I almost felt lightheaded..Sat down got everything sorted.. Went to plug in my laptop which was minutes away from being dead.. Fecking plug had had it's wire chopped off from the top. :mad:

I wasn't impressed..

Also does anyone notice how god awful the smell is in the library atm?

The word is socket ("outlet" for ye Americans). You put your plug into the libraries socket.... sexually :D
    Either way, what wire? The green and yellow one. Thats only a general earth cable, the socket should be earthed underneath anyways. Did you actually try the socket and it was dead, or did you just give up once you seen the cable? There are a few dead sockets around the library, very frustrating to find one, and ive been caught out in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Well I sincerley apologise for my lack of knowledge in the electrical output field..

The whole thick grey wire at the top of the box that had the two sockets was just lopped off..

It's on the first floor on the left hand side where there is the wee individual desks.

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Well I sincerley apologise for my lack of knowledge in the electrical output field..

The whole thick grey wire at the top of the box that had the two sockets was just lopped off..

It's on the first floor on the left hand side where there is the wee individual desks.

Ah right, it was just a desk that had a socket. The socket wasnt actually powered by anything though. Hate those desks.

Why are some websites blocked by ISS? Are they having difficulties?

gra.ie is blocked today
    galwaycity.ie was blocked last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

snubbleste wrote: »

gra.ie is blocked today
    Are you sure they were blocked or just not connectable? Was it via a PC Suite or the WiFi? Did you get a specific error message when you tried to access the sites? If so, that page should give more specific information as to the problem.

If in doubt, you could email ISS directly (servicedesk@nuigalway.ie) and ask them. As far as I know (and I'm open to correction, btw), the only sites blocked are Bebo/Facebook under the normal time restrictions.

snubbleste wrote: »

gra.ie is blocked today

Boards.ie was briefly blocked as well. Hit a firewall exception. Came back later on. Must be difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

Hate: Big fat man blocking my view of the hot girl behind him

has X-ray vision been invented yet or do I have to wait for him to move? or could I move one seat to my right :rolleyes: or would that be too obvious of a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

must be difficulties.

Oh ****, CSS are having difficulties???!!!?? They seem to have nothing but.

Oh ****, CSS are having difficulties???!!!?? They seem to have nothing but.

I see they managed to get you online :cool:

• Advertisement

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    Hate: Big fat man blocking my view of the hot girl behind him

has X-ray vision been invented yet or do I have to wait for him to move? or could I move one seat to my right :rolleyes: or would that be too obvious of a solution
    Or grow a pair :cool:

Advertisement