Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Why oh why, did nobody have a look at the exam timetables before putting us nurses on placement?? Now we have 32 hours placement a week and a **** load of essays to have handed in fairly soon while still on placement, and then we'v to start the cram for exams. All you had to do was put us n placement a week or two earlier! Sheeeesh! /rant

complain to the exams office and the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

I have a Ten THOUSAND word report. It's due either the 17th, the 25th OR the 28th. Blackboard has 3 dates and 2 of them are on the same set of slides. They say it's the 25th but to be submitted on the 28th? WHAT!? Is it really that hard to choose a date!?

keesa wrote: »
    I have a Ten THOUSAND word report. It's due either the 17th, the 25th OR the 28th. Blackboard has 3 dates and 2 of them are on the same set of slides. They say it's the 25th but to be submitted on the 28th? WHAT!? Is it really that hard to choose a date!?

I have a 10,000 word report on my project due on the 25th, has to be ring bound and everything. I have to clean up my dissertation to be ready for publication by Thursday. Then I have to give presentations on them. This is normal stuff, and is expected from everyone.

Its up to you to check with the department so as to clarify the date. Use emails etc if you can't see them in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CAI6

Em, I think it might be up to the department not to have 3 different dates for the same thing. I think they should probably not have 2 dates 2 slides apart on one set of lecture slides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

MacBook owners asking stupid questions about if they are able to do their online assesment on their mac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    MacBook owners asking stupid questions about if they are able to do their online assesment on their mac
    Q. How do you know if someone owns an Apple product?

A. They tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Q. How do you know if someone owns an Apple product?

A. They tell you.

I remember googling once on my iPhone and coming across that line:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

TurnItIn panics when it finds out I'm using Linux. Still works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

I hate when people on the computers in the library log on and then go away talking to their friends when there's a queue of about 10 people! Have some consideration of others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

MissMiami wrote: »
    I hate when people on the computers in the library log on and then go away talking to their friends when there's a queue of about 10 people! Have some consideration of others!
    Simple solution there... log them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

They ban Facebook from the libaray computers and people just go on twitter,there was a girl on twitter for 25 mins today when I was in the Q. It's so frustrating when you have printing to get done and people are just pissing way time on twitter,are they blind to those "these computers are for serious study signs"?

They ban Facebook from the libaray computers and people just go on twitter,there was a girl on twitter for 25 mins today when I was in the Q. It's so frustrating when toy have printing to get done and people are just pissing way time on twitter,are they blind to those "these computers are for serious study signs"?

The library had recently to put up signs to remind people not to talk in the libarary, switch off their mobiles and turn the volume down for their headphones and yet they still do it.

My conclusion: They're not blind but highly ignorant

The library had recently to put up signs to remind people not to talk in the libarary, switch off their mobiles and turn the volume down for their headphones and yet they still do it.

My conclusion: They're not blind but highly ignorant
    People know all these things, signs to remind them are just a waste of resources.

What stops me being loud and disruptive in the library (not that I'm ever there, being 2 cool 4 school and all) is just common sense and courtesy, even if there were no rules I still wouldn't play loud music or whatever. I don't think a few signs or rules can instil that in people. Tossers will always be tossers, you can only hope for it to hinder them in life. Or for some sort of natural disaster to strike CPs :pac:

People know all these things, signs to remind them are just a waste of resources.

What stops me being loud and disruptive in the library (not that I'm ever there, being 2 cool 4 school and all) is just common sense and courtesy, even if there were no rules I still wouldn't play loud music or whatever. I don't think a few signs or rules can instil that in people. Tossers will always be tossers, you can only hope for it to hinder them in life. Or for some sort of natural disaster to strike CPs :pac:

Can we get the class reps to mandate the SU Exec to beat anyone in the libarary who makes a disruption with a big stick, or even better if the engineers can make it, a plank of wood with a nail in it. (I'm not an engineer but I think it could be feasible, I'm sure someone in IT will be able to create a computer simulation of how this will work

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

One must be very careful of the possibility of the development of a BIGGER plank with nail in it. I suspect that loud twats have been planning such a weapon this very monent.

Can we get the class reps to mandate the SU Exec to beat anyone in the libarary who makes a disruption with a big stick, or even better if the engineers can make it, a plank of wood with a nail in it. (I'm not an engineer but I think it could be feasible, I'm sure someone in IT will be able to create a computer simulation of how this will work
    Consider it simulated! *Ahem*...

plank.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tkeane

I was in one of the computer suites and I overheard the conversation some of the people behind me were saying just before they left. One of them told his friend to leave some books out and leave a few tabs open on the computer while they go out for a while. They also left their bags on the chairm so no-one would take that seat. So, the battle for the seats which is constant now in the library, is now starting in the computer room. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

tkeane wrote: »
    I was in one of the computer suites and I overheard the conversation some of the people behind me were saying just before they left. One of them told his friend to leave some books out and leave a few tabs open on the computer while they go out for a while. They also left their bags on the chairm so no-one would take that seat. So, the battle for the seats which is constant now in the library, is now starting in the computer room. Yay!

Log them out, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Consider it simulated! *Ahem*...

plank.png

:confused:

So as the number of tossers increases, the number of rusty nail plank beatings decreases?
    Surely the correlation should be positive. Or if it is to be negative, owing to limited capabilities, the x-axis label should be the number of rusty nail plank beatings per tosser. The cumulative number of rusty nail plank beatings should not be decreasing in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Ficheall wrote: »

So as the number of tossers increases, the number of rusty nail plank beatings decreases?
    Surely the correlation should be positive. Or if it is to be negative, owing to limited capabilities, the x-axis label should be the number of rusty nail plank beatings per tosser. The cumulative number of rusty nail plank beatings should not be decreasing in any case.

Well it's more like f: # rusty nail plant beatings -> # tossers.

#tossers are a dependant variable. The reverse of it would be to say the more tossers there are, then the fewer rusty nail plank beatings there must have been. Of course, as the number of tossers decreases one must increase the average number of beatings per tosser (which is quite possible). Things start to get funny if you run out of tossers (but in reality there will also be at least on tosser, who you then beat infinitely often)

• Advertisement

He's obviously admitting that the Engineering students armed with the nailed planks are in fact, the tosssers.

Note my crudely drawn Venn diagram
    tmYbt.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

He's obviously admitting that the Engineering students armed with the nailed planks are in fact, the tosssers.

Note my crudely drawn Venn nothing diagram
    http://i.imgur.com/tmYbt.jpg

FYP
    I hope you didnt learn to draw venn diagrams in NUIG. Says nothing for the maths department.

FYP
    I hope you didnt learn to draw venn diagrams in NUIG. Says nothing for the maths department.
    I don't do maths. Come to think of it I was never taught to do them in any lesson, ever. You'd never have guessed it.

Ficheall wrote: »

Wow, erm, way to overthink it! My general point was that as the number of rusty nail plank beatings goes up, the number of tossers goes down!

red_fox wrote: »
    Well it's more like f: # rusty nail plant beatings -> # tossers.

#tossers are a dependant variable. The reverse of it would be to say the more tossers there are, then the fewer rusty nail plank beatings there must have been. Of course, as the number of tossers decreases one must increase the average number of beatings per tosser (which is quite possible). Things start to get funny if you run out of tossers (but in reality there will also be at least on tosser, who you then beat infinitely often)
    What he said! :eek:

Wow, erm, way to overthink it! My general point was that as the number of rusty nail plank beatings goes up, the number of tossers goes down!

In that case the line should have been upwards sloping. Your graph says the more the tossers the fewer the beatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

In that case the line should have been upwards sloping. Your graph says the more the tossers the fewer the beatings.

No...since the x-axis is usually the independent variable the graph reads: an increasing number of beatings leads to a decreasing number of tossers.

And don't get me started on that 'Venn Diagram'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Cheers for clearing that up, redfox.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

For those still confused about the graph of Beating vs Tossers, consider if it was the other way:
    152776.jpg

Looking at it myself again, yes, if you think of plank beatings as the dependant variable then that's the right way now. Its all just a matter of perspective (altough convention places the independant variable on the x-axis).

And my impression of the Venn diagram:

152778.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but who are those people in the exact centre of that venn diagram (those who are engineers, can do math and is a tosser)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Also, Red Fox must be an engineer, since he can't spell it right...!!:p:p

Advertisement