Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Oh the irony of posting that on an internet forum :pac:
    Speak for yourself, I have 100 Facebook friends and at least 30 MSN contacts

The Cairnes building must be officially the worst place on campus to study. The number of complete and utter rehabs who think it's ok to have hour long conversations at full volume. I can't understand how people can think like that. If someone comes over to me and we chat for anything over a few minutes I feel concious of the noise.

I've no problem with background noise, it's just when you hear the same voice talking for so long it just melts your head.

Not to mention the imbeciles who can't work a printer so stand there pressing buttons (which beep loudly) for 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I hate any conversation or chat while studying whatsoever. If you want to talk, get the hell out into the corridor. No one cares that you had to get the Morning After Pill this morning...

I hate any conversation or chat while studying whatsoever. If you want to talk, get the hell out into the corridor. No one cares that you had to get the Morning After Pill this morning...
    It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but standing outside the door having a loud conversation isn't really any better.

It's like people who plug in headphones and then listen to music at top volume, or sit there sniggering away like a chump. You obviously understand the importance of not disturbing people, as you have used headphones, so why think it's ok to blast your music through them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

Why dont ye study at home so?
    Take the books ye need out of the library, then you can sit at home with nobody having loud conversations or people putting laptops on your side of the desk. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Why dont ye study at home so?
    Take the books ye need out of the library, then you can sit at home with nobody having loud conversations or people putting laptops on your side of the desk. Simples

Its a Library, its supposed to be quiet.

Yes but its not and everybody knows that.
    You know that everyday you go in someone will be talking so why keep going in and getting pissed off? I just dont understand it. I would never study in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

You know that everyday you go in someone will be talking so why keep going in and getting pissed off? I just dont understand it. I would never study in the library

Some people obviously can't study at home.

The library is supposed to be quietish enough. I know it's not the case but it's what's expected of a library.

You can't really expect all your house mates to tiptoe around the house and keep the TV/laptop/conversation to a minimum.

Shouldnt most peoples housemates be studying too?
    And im talking about studying in your bedroom not in the middle of the sitting room.
    The NUIG library is always way too noisy and no amount of complaining on the internet is going to change that so im just giving a practical solution.
    I know loads of people who have empty houses that go into the library and then complain of the noise in there, if oyu have an empty house just study at home.

What's the script with everyone in a computer room always feeling the need to look up and study every single person who comes in the door? Are ye expecting someone or something? Sometimes I meet their stare and say hello just to make them feel uncomfortable, cause I'm a f***ing header like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Shouldnt most peoples housemates be studying too?
    And im talking about studying in your bedroom not in the middle of the sitting room.
    The NUIG library is always way too noisy and no amount of complaining on the internet is going to change that so im just giving a practical solution.
    I know loads of people who have empty houses that go into the library and then complain of the noise in there, if oyu have an empty house just study at home.

There you go with another assumption: that everyone lives with fellow students.

Eh no, I said shouldnt MOST peoples housemates should be studying I didnt say all. Students do in general live with other students...
    Also I said if you have an empty house then study at home.
    I cant imagine many people live in houses that there are enough people home during the day that they make more noise than the NUIG library.

Also of course I make assumptions, everyone makes assumptions! I can hardly know the facts about every single NUIG student now can I?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Cairnes building must be officially the worst place on campus to study. The number of complete and utter rehabs who think it's ok to have hour long conversations at full volume. I can't understand how people can think like that. If someone comes over to me and we chat for anything over a few minutes I feel concious of the noise.

I've no problem with background noise, it's just when you hear the same voice talking for so long it just melts your head.

Not to mention the imbeciles who can't work a printer so stand there pressing buttons (which beep loudly) for 5 mins.
    TBH I think it's the best place on Campus to study. Great big desks with enough plug points for each desk, not overly crowded like the Reading Room so there isn't a big squeeze when people come and go, not overly hot like the Library, and if you can't get a desk there is always the stools. It can be loud, but I never see it as a big problem. It's shocking that there isn't more places like it in the college.

Dman001 wrote: »
    TBH I think it's the best place on Campus to study. Great big desks with enough plug points for each desk, not overly crowded like the Reading Room so there isn't a big squeeze when people come and go, not overly hot like the Library, and if you can't get a desk there is always the stools. It can be loud, but I never see it as a big problem. It's shocking that there isn't more places like it in the college.
    The facilities are great, always very clean as well, it's just the people in them. While the IT rooms are unbearably hot sometimes, at least they're quiet enough. Apart from when strange African gentlemen come in and make odd grunting noises every few minutes then have a telephone conversation.

I always wear headphones with white noise playing so I can zone out and concentrate. Unfortunately I can still hear whispers and giggles cutting right through it.

I can't study at home. Too many distractions. And I know there's always a few guys from my course that I can talk to (NOT in the library...) if I need notes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

This weekend and last weekend with the bank holidays and all there is a severe lack of toilet paper in the bathrooms by the end of the weekend. Could they not leave out extra toilet rolls or something?? :confused:

mary90 wrote: »
    This weekend and last weekend with the bank holidays and all there is a severe lack of toilet paper in the bathrooms by the end of the weekend. Could they not leave out extra toilet rolls or something?? :confused:

Noticed that myself. Not that I'd admit to any sort of collegiate egestion on the Internet.

...I just needed tissue to blow my nose, honest :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

mary90 wrote: »
    Because then you have the idiots who constantly throw all the toilet paper into the urinals and the toilets and clog them, seriously, toddlers would have more cope on.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Noticed that myself. Not that I'd admit to any sort of collegiate egestion on the Internet.

...I just needed tissue to blow my nose, honest :cool:
    yer man! wrote: »
    Because then you have the idiots who constantly throw all the toilet paper into the urinals and the toilets and clog them, seriously, toddlers would have more cope on.

Or steal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

Jealous that there are people finished exams today and DJ Byrno is in the College Bar while I have to study! :mad: Not finished until the 17th with Brand Management...can't wait to be finito! Roll on the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Do people actually care about DJ Byrno?
    I think it's highly inappropriate that he is pretty much the only DJ ever playing in the college bar, it's getting really old and I've not even been here a year.
    With an entire society of DJs I think it's only fair that other people get a go.

Who's up fr some ragga jungle breakcore in the college bar eh? XD

bildo wrote: »
    Do people actually care about DJ Byrno?
    It does make me laugh when places like Cuba and the College Bar put up posters announcing DJ BYRNO! YEAH! ONLY TEN EURO!

Nothing against the guy or his DJing, but advertising what is essentially a resident DJ as something special is a bit crap. But then again, the College Bar is exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Why is he such a big deal? You'd swear Daft Punk were playing the way people go on about him.

Why is he such a big deal? You'd swear Daft Punk were playing the way people go on about him.
    He's a local DJ who's been about for ages, fair play to him if he's made a name for himself.

Can't stand the Col Bar anyway. It's decent for a few games of pool and pints on a quiet evening but any time there's ever an 'event' or end of exams/rag week/freshers week I avoid it like the plague. Full of lightweights falling over each other spilling pints everywhere. And even when I want that craic I'll go to Fibbers or the Hole In The Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

It's probably been said before, but people eating crisps in the library. I don't mind people eating in general, but crisps stink, the bag makes loads of noise, and so does crunching down really loudly on them... arrghh..

meeka wrote: »
    It's probably been said before, but people eating Cheese & Onion crisps in the library. I don't mind people eating in general, but Cheese & Onion crisps stink, the bag makes loads of noise, and so does crunching down really loudly on them... arrghh..
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

4 years in arts, and when the final exams for the degree come around there are 3 in 3 days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

elefant wrote: »
    4 years in arts, and when the final exams for the degree come around there are 3 in 3 days. :(

The scheduling of exams is crazy..... There are huge failure rates in 3rd year zoology and microbiology yet these exams were held on the Wednesday and Friday!!! Daft considering there is a month in which the exams are taking place:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

meeka wrote: »
    It's probably been said before, but people eating crisps in the library. I don't mind people eating in general, but crisps stink, the bag makes loads of noise, and so does crunching down really loudly on them... arrghh..

A friend of mine was in the reading room last year, and a lad walked in with a Supermacs Takeaway and started eating it!!! She said the smell filled the room and peoples jaws dropped in shock at his ignorance. wish I had seen it myself lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

elefant wrote: »

i've got 3 in 2 days this week :( the maths department is awful for scheduling exams

Advertisement