Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

What is going on with the crazy heat??! Had to take my boots off in there one day..........

I had to take all my clothes of one day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

All the GMIT tossers coming around fscking things up and just generally acting the maggot.

I blame jealousy.

I saw one crowd put up and scribbled posters to the effect of "GMIT is superior to yous"

I facepalmed and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I saw one crowd put up and scribbled posters to the effect of "GMIT is superior to yous"

At least they've been learning their big words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Film Soc are doing a film festival-type thing next week (basically loads of films). Most of them are films I'd love to see (or have seen already), but why put it on during College Week? I'd presume they'd get a bigger attendance any other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I suppose they could be trying to raise money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Film Soc are doing a film festival-type thing next week (basically loads of films). Most of them are films I'd love to see (or have seen already), but why put it on during College Week? I'd presume they'd get a bigger attendance any other week.

Surely its obvious why they would have a film festival during the week most people don't go to college/lectures?

Surely its obvious why they would have a film festival during the week most people don't go to college/lectures?

Well from my experience most people don't go to college / lectures during college week because they're off out drinking... Using the same logic they wouldn't be arsed going into college to watch a film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Maybe it gives people who don't drink something to do while everyone else is out getting their rehab on?

Perhaps. Jeez, don't shoot me; just saying it'd attract more people any other week.

Looking forward to Rag week as the library will be quieter. Really hoping the twats near me now will be gone. They do nothing but talk, not even whisper but talk. I have to tell them to shut up every day but it doesnt stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The people who order Hot Chocolate in the IT Building café and hold up everyone.

And while we're at it, the queue in the IT Building café.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Locked my keys into my locker the other day so I headed over to the SU to ask for the spare one. It was only after I was back on the concourse that I realised all I'd told her was my locker number.. she hadn't even asked my name or ID, could've been anyone's locker keys for all she knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

the book check out machines in the library on the 1st floor are always broken!!!
    also the heat in the o'flaherty theatre on thursday was brutal!!! doesnt help that the tables are still broken making everyone squish together.

meeka wrote: »
    I realised all I'd told her was my locker number.. she hadn't even asked my name or ID, could've been anyone's locker keys for all she knew!

That's worrying. Send an email to them about it.
    musical.x wrote: »
    also the heat in the o'flaherty theatre on thursday was brutal!!! doesnt help that the tables are still broken making everyone squish together.

Whenever I see that it reminds me of a Ryanair flight. Maybe they're trying to "balance the lecture hall".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

That's worrying. Send an email to them about it.

Whenever I see that it reminds me of a Ryanair flight. Maybe they're trying to "balance the lecture hall".
    haha yeh thats a possibility!:D they do say you put on some wieght when you start college :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

The people who order Hot Chocolate in the IT Building café and hold up everyone.

And while we're at it, the queue in the IT Building café.
    But it's the finest hot chocolate on campus... In fact, the coffee there is the best on campus. I too hate the queues that evolve themselves there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

But it's the finest hot chocolate on campus... In fact, the coffee there is the best on campus. I too hate the queues that evolve themselves there!

Ahem, I am one of those people...well, to be fair its a Mocha I get :D

Look I need the caffeinated sweetness to make it though a Programming lecture !:rolleyes:

Ahem, I am one of those people...well, to be fair its a Mocha I get :D

Look I need the caffeinated sweetness to make it though a Programming lecture !:rolleyes:

Next time I see you at the head of the queue waiting on a Hot Chocolate I'm going to throw rock-hard Mars bars at you, straight from the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Next time I see you at the head of the queue waiting on a Hot Chocolate I'm going to throw rock-hard Mars bars at you, straight from the fridge.
    I do also love how the chocolate is kept in the fridge! Awesomeness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Lectures during RAG Week.

I've never been one to advocate some of the carry on in Rag Week, but then again I've always just enjoyed the week without causing anyone any grief or trouble. But would some of the lecturers ever just f*** off with their "compulsory lectures" in Rag Week. I know it isn't meant to be a week's holiday, but a lot of tutors and lecturers recognise that many students just want to enjoy the week, and that a lot of us see it as the last good session before getting the head down for exams, and cancel the lectures accordingly.

However you have others who will send out emails 'reminding' you that next week's lectures are compulsory or setting work due in then just to make you show up.

I know somebody will respond to this by telling me what RAG week is "meant to be for" and that you should be going into all your lectures anyway etc and when it comes down to it, you'd be right. But realistically, a week of not going in won't do much harm (plenty people pass without attending entire semesters...) so why not just relax a bit and let students off for a week ...

edit: keeping chocolate in the fridge is for mentalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've never been one to advocate some of the carry on in Rag Week, but then again I've always just enjoyed the week without causing anyone any grief or trouble. But would some of the lecturers ever just f*** off with their "compulsory lectures" in Rag Week. I know it isn't meant to be a week's holiday, but a lot of tutors and lecturers recognise that many students just want to enjoy the week, and that a lot of us see it as the last good session before getting the head down for exams, and cancel the lectures accordingly.

However you have others who will send out emails 'reminding' you that next week's lectures are compulsory or setting work due in then just to make you show up.

I know somebody will respond to this by telling me what RAG week is "meant to be for" and that you should be going into all your lectures anyway etc and when it comes down to it, you'd be right. But realistically, a week of not going in won't do much harm (plenty people pass without attending entire semesters...) so why not just relax a bit and let students off for a week ...

Agree with you 100%

Our soundest lecturer (Law) gave us the week off lectures/tutorials. He said it's cause we're making good progress, but it's realistically cause he's a fcuking legend of a man. This is the same guy who happily put on extra classes for those who needed them - an absolute gentleman who is a lecturer for all the right reasons.

Now compare that with a cnut of a lecturer who has decided to give us an exam on Wednesday of RAG week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Now compare that with a cnut of a lecturer who has decided to give us an exam on Wednesday of RAG week :eek:

That's not that unreasonable.
    You can go out drinking Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sunday.
    Actually - come to think of it - you can go out drinking any night you please, because you're a responsible adult - you don't have to go drinking just because everyone else is. Isn't that fantastic?

And since you've no Law lecture, that should give you even more time to study for the exam. Sounds reasonable to me.

I have lectures next week, I'll go to most of them as usual. I'll spend the rest of the time in the quiet library. Looking forward to a productive week without wasters in the library.

I dont drink during rag week (or Paddys day). I dont want to be in the line to be tarred with that big brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It's one thing to just put on regular lectures but it's a bit bloody mean to put on compulsory lectures and even an exam:eek:

Personally I'm an older student (36) and will be attending all my labs and lectures as I have done for the past 3 years but that's by my own choice.

Students are old enough to make their own choices to attend lectures or not IMO....

It's almost as bad as some lecturers refusing to put lectures onto BB until after the lecture is over to entice students out of bed....:mad:.....this drives me absolutely mental...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's almost as bad as some lecturers refusing to put lectures onto BB until after the lecture is over to entice students out of bed....:mad:.....this drives me absolutely mental...:(

This is nothing short of retarded. One of our lecturers does it and it drives me mad. All it does is take away from people who do attend lectures as I find it very useful to write down my own notes next to slides to have all info organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

As I understand it, NUI has pulled support for rag week. Surely you can bring yourself to do one or two hours work per day and spend the other 22 drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

einshteen wrote: »
    As I understand it, NUI has pulled support for rag week. Surely you can bring yourself to do one or two hours work per day and spend the other 22 drinking.
    Pulled support and had 'College Week'. That's the sort of pathetic rebranding the PSNI would be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Completely agree.

I went to a number last year, but at the end of the day, it's an unofficial midterm seeing as we don't get one while exams loom from that point on and most lecturers are ok with this. most of mine are merely having revision and exam advice classes, which is sound of them.....
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    Agree with you 100%

Our soundest lecturer (Law) gave us the week off lectures/tutorials. He said it's cause we're making good progress, but it's realistically cause he's a fcuking legend of a man. This is the same guy who happily put on extra classes for those who needed them - an absolute gentleman who is a lecturer for all the right reasons.

....Except for this one fúcker of a lecturer who still has a mandatory attendance this week, which I have to give a presentation in. And an assignment on top of that by Friday, made a right fecking balls of the week so it has... so I feel your pain!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

WHY OH WHY?! Do all the bathrooms in college have to stink?! I mean really! Even when they've been just cleaned, it's just gross! Surely if they were cleaned properly they wouldn't, right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

keesa wrote: »
    WHY OH WHY?! Do all the bathrooms in college have to stink?! I mean really! Even when they've been just cleaned, it's just gross! Surely if they were cleaned properly they wouldn't, right?

Hey, no-one is stopping you donning a pair of marigolds and polishing the place to your hearts content.

Advertisement