Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday

Biking: 32kms on the MTB around Collooney and the Sligo Way. Serious downhill trails in Union Woods under threat from Coillte harvesting.
    Garmin Link

Bus to Ballyshannon for Rory Gallagher Festival. Cycled another 7km out to my B&B in Rossknowlagh. No trails but amazing views on hilly roads.

Yoga: 1 hour

Friday
    Walking: 6km along Rossknowlagh Beach
    Cycling: 13km to and from Ballyshannon.
    Surfing: A 2-hour group lesson. Crap waves but great fun.
    Air guitar, pizza and cider: 6 hours

Saturday
    Cycling: 12km in Donegal and Dublin

Sunday
    Rest: Still sore from IMRA race, surfing, and some cycling in my runners on tiny cliplesss pedals :(

Monday
    Running: 8km along the Grand Canal while OH walked the mini-marathon. Met CL and Digger and saw CL coming in 30th position over Leeson Street Bridge. Great race and event.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 33km on the MTB in Derroura near Maam Cross. Fantastic trail there, views were spectacular.
    Garmin Link

Unfortunately on my second lap of the trails I sliced open my calf on the teeth on the front chainring. It wasn't particularly sore but there was lots of blood. Luckily I had a first aid kit and managed to clean out some dirt and oil. I continued on around the second lap and then back to the bus stop at Maam Cross. I went to my OH's doctor who cleaned up the wound a bit more, applied a better dressing and prescribed some antibiotics :(

Wednesday
    Rest and travelling to Ballycastle, Co. Antrim.

Thursday
    Cycling: 25km around Rathlin Island. Took it very handy.
    Yoga: 30 minutes

Friday
    Running: 14.25kms hill run up and down Knocklayd. Extreme gradients, extreme sweat in eyes, extreme views of Ulster and Scotland.

Garmin Link

Saturday
    Walking: 6kms or so

Sunday
    Running: 12.93kms again up and down Knocklayd. I couldn't get enough of this place!

Garmin Link

Monday
    Trip back to the doctor to check out my leg. Not allowed exercise for a week now as the running and cycling delayed the healing process. He said I could have been in "serious trouble" if I hadn't taken the antibiotics :eek:

Tuesday
    Rest

Wednesday
    Dying to run IMRA tonight but my leg says no :( I had a great holiday anyway and fitted in loads of everything. I got in two very difficult runs and had zero soreness :D

Sligo Way
    9025571896_2466ddbf98_b.jpg

Loch Corrib from Derroura

9023342273_5a91d2b04b_b.jpg

Rathlin Island, with Scotland on horizon

9023341853_d4bb12c1af_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You really seem to be enjoying the MTB'ing...just make sure you don't get too distracted by all that air guitar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Small world, I too took a surf lesson on that beach the weekend of the Rory Gallagher festival...with fin mccools surf lodge...good craic....Ballyshannon was bonkers on the Saturday night.

Wednesday

Went to second doctor in Dublin who said the wound was healing up nicely and that I could run and cycle. Unfortunately it was too late to head to the IMRA race.

Thursday
    Nothing

Friday
    Nothing

Saturday
    Cycling: 32km on MTB trails in Derroura. No mishaps :)

Sunday
    Cycling: 16km on MTB trails in Djouce Woods. Half yesterday's distance, twice the difficulty. Lots of slippery roots, cliff edges and steep downhills. I popped my over-the-handlebars cherry! No damage done.

Monday
    Cycling: 18km commuting
    Running: 18.4km run up to Fairy Castle and back. Very slow right from the start. My thighs took a hammering on the descent!

Tuesday
    Cycling: 24km commuting

Have done more or less no yoga in the past 3 weeks. Must change that.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Thursday

Wednesday
    Cycling: 12km commuting

Saturday
    Rehydration

Sunday
    Rehydration

Monday
    Cycling: 24km commuting.

Running: 12.84km up to the top of Kelly's Glen and back (glen between Tibradden and Kilmashogue). It was my first time up the road past the turn-off for the Wicklow Way at Kilmashogue. It's all on road but a very decent climb and a very manageable distance from my house when I'm pressed for time. Will be up here again.

Tuesday

Wednesday
    Cycling: 36km commuting

Running: IMRA Kippure. Finally got out of work on time for an IMRA race :) I did a short warm-up and a few stretches. I started at the very back as I didn't know how I'd be. I passed out a lot of people on the climb up to Kippure. I really enjoyed the climb, especially the boggy parts.

At the turnaround it all went downhill - the race and my running. I had lots of strength and pace in my legs but the bog was like a field of wobble boards on my poor decrepit ankles. Nearly everyone I had passed on the climb passed me out again. I got very very frustrated. I was like one of those drunken eejits in high heels doing unintentional imitations of new-born giraffes.

Once I got to the bog road I picked up the pace again and caught nine other people. One woman in the last mile kept holding me off, and we ended up with a near sprint finish, but it wasn't to be.

A good race, apart from the boggy descent. 9.89km in 1 hour and 1 second - 149% of the winner's time.

Thursday

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Rehydration

Sunday
    Dehydration

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Running: IMRATrooperstown (Midgefest 2013)
    A really great course with fireroad, rocky trail, steep sections, singletrack and running through heather. Lovely views up towards the glen of Glendalough. I think this race is now at the top of my favourite IMRA races. Plus, I just beat the woman who beat me last week at Kippure :) 142% of the winner's time, an improvement on last week!

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
    Running: 23km of the Wicklow Way with the Boards crew.I met them at Curtlestown - 16km and two mountains into their run. It was a very relaxed affair with some of us walking when we felt like it and others sprinting on ahead as if they were doing a 2:38 marathon (ahem, Kiely). Great craic on the run on one of the hottest days in the year. Nice to meet new boards people too - I'm sure I'll see them on the hills again!

Lovely pints in Roundwood, even if I was constantly reminded that I didn't run the whole thing. This was my longest run since last November I think :D

Sunday
    Mountain Biking:Mount Leinster Challenge (40km) organised by Racing 765. I was all set to wake up with sore muscles and deciding to do the 20km route but I was pleasantly surprised. I happened to meet some of the Connemara MTB Club people too - a club I'll probably join next year when I move.

I was very happy with my performance (just under 4 hours), even if it was at the back of the group. Stunning scenery around the Blackstairs Mountains. No mishaps or technical difficulties with my bike. I did find a broken spoke afterwards, mostly the cause of the buckle since before the event.

Monday
    Running: 18km up to Fairy Castle and back. Felt good on this run, and afterwards! More good training in the bag.
    Yoga: 30 minutes in the evening and 30 minutes after my run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Love the 'rehydration' / 'dehydration'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Whats the overall plan/goal [if any] - apart from staying rehydrated :)

Whats the overall plan/goal [if any] - apart from staying rehydrated :)

For the next few weeks I have no other goal other than to enjoy doing whatever distance suits me on the day. That usually means medium-long hill runs! Overall I'm aiming for a few different races in the Autumn - Rathfarnham 5km, Conamara 10km, Clifden 10km. After that I'm going to take a month's break :) There'll be no marathons this year, maybe next spring or early autumn.

Ballinastoe

Placing: 92/171
    Percentage of winner's time: 141%

My best performance of the league. Ballinastoe is such a great course, probably because of the quality of the trails.

Sugar Bowl

Placing: 132/194
    Percentage of winner's time: 157%

Not a great performance - all was going well until I fell and cut my elbow 2km from the end, lots of blood! Apparently I left a trail of blood down the Sugar Loaf :eek: First aid guys cleaned me up and doctor had a look at it this morning - no need for stitches or anti-biotics :)

Time for some structured training now!

• Advertisement

Time for some structured training now!

Start by not falling over. Repeat daily!:D

Not much has happened in the 12 days since the end of the IMRA season.

Cycling: Commuting every day, plus a 40km-cycle through Glencree and back via the Military Road.

Running: 8km in Galway yesterday, and 12km commute to work this morning. A little bit stiff still.

Barefoot Free Climbing and Cliff Jumping:
    I went to go for an open water swim this evening (my wounds have all healed up). Instead I was brought to Bullock Harbour in Dalkey and was coerced into jumping off the cliff (20+ feet, not ridiculously high), followed by a climb back via the "easy" route. Great craic!

Tuesday

Cycling: 57km commuting and another nice trip up Glencree and Military Road.

Wednesday

Running: 12km commuting

Thursday

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Running: 15.5km in Galway. I went up a bog road I've never been up before.It's a very remote road - the road finishes at a gate to private property 3 miles from the closest house. I found out that the house is lived in full-time and has never had running water or electricity :eek:

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday

This year I've run 400km, 70km of which were run in the past 9 days! No records, but progress :)

You running Glen of the Downs tonight??

belcarra wrote: »
    You running Glen of the Downs tonight??

Only seeing this now! Have been too busy for IMRA but have been run-commuting a lot :-) Have all the gear for an epic-ish run in Twelve Bens tomorrow. What I end up doing remains to be seen! Have you any one else in mind for Gullion?

Only seeing this now! Have been too busy for IMRA but have been run-commuting a lot :-) Have all the gear for an epic-ish run in Twelve Bens tomorrow. What I end up doing remains to be seen! Have you any one else in mind for Gullion?

Not a soul. Just thought of it last night.
    I'd imagine a weekday evening might not be too convenient for most people but if you know of anyone interested invite them along!

Wednesday
    Cycling: 12km
    Running: 12km

Thursday

Friday

Monday

Tuesday
    Cycling: 40km MTBing. Way easier than the first time I did it.

Wednesday

Sunday
    Running: 21.6km from Spiddal to Galway. A good long run, by my recent standards. No issues, felt good! Took two days to fully recover though.

Monday

Tuesday
    Cycling: 24km

Wednesday
    Cycling: 24km. A nice tailwind along with smart legal negotiation of traffic lights resulted in a 4-minute PB

Thursday
    Running: 11.2km - Met Belcarra in Malahide after work and drove up to Carlingford in County Louth. The weather was great all the way, until we saw the Cooley Mountains all covered in low cloud. I had a general idea of the route we were going to take, solely from some map-gazing and reviews online.

Map and compass in the bag (not in our hands), we ran in the general direction of Slieve Foy (the county peak of Louth) and where we thought the Táin Way was. Took a few wrong turns and then found our way. In fact we didn't take out the map and compass until about 200m from the summit. It was a tough climb up to the top, nearly 600m of climbing starting at sea-level.

Visibility was very limited in the low cloud and it wasn't until directly below the summit that we could see daylight again. Unbelievable views from the top as we were above all the cloud as if we were in an airplane.

From there to Eagle's Rock was slightly runnable. There was a very faint trail and a few boggy parts. With the low light and our lack of progress, we cut our losses and descended from Eagle's Rock down to the forest. It wasn't easy but we eventually found the trail again, and then turned on to forest road from there to the finish.

It was a short distance but running time was about 90 minutes with about 30 minutes of stopping (I never know how these minutes add up - it could be my Garmin settings).

It would have been better if the weather allowed some nice views, but this is Ireland! We're going to try Gullion (county peak of Armagh) some night too. I'll need to bring my own headtorch then.

Garmin Link

Friday

Monday

Have not been sleeping well recently and have been very very tired. Case in point - Monday night I did yoga at 9pm. Started off as usual with 5 minutes of breathing exercises while lying on the mat. Woke up 15 minutes later to the sound of my snoring. Not good.

I've made a few changes this week:
    • no coffee after lunch
    • no iPhone/laptop in the bedroom.
    • yoga directly before going to bed.

It's all good for recovery too.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 12km.
    Running: 22km home via Two Rock. A good decent distance with a lot of climbing (nearly 600m from sea level in Dún Laoghaire).

Wednesday

I'm considering doing Dublin Marathon this year. I won't be going for any PB, obviously, but would be doing it as an expensive but fun training run for doing the Art O'Neill again for the first time in January. I have no idea whether there will be an organised event or not but am looking into getting a few people to do it anyway on another night in January. I have unfinished business in them there hills.

You have just reminded me to change the batteries in my head torch!

Are you about for an LSR in Dublin at the weekend? If heading West any chance of Fri afternoon/evening?
    (I finish at 1:30 on a Fri:D)

Unfortunately not this weekend, heading west early Friday evening. Enjoy! Gullion some evening next week?

Thought I might write something here to keep an eye on my injuries. I have a tendency to ignore them and write them off as not significant enough for my log! Score out of 10 is for pain.

Glute/hamstring: 5/10
    Calf: 4/10
    Ankle (tendinitis on outside of left foot): 8/10

I previously had tendinitis back in October before and after the marathon. It wasn't from any particular strain on the tendon other than from overuse from running. It didn't get the same attention from my physio since the other injuries were much more problematic. I can't even remember what exercises he gave me for it.

• Advertisement

Thursday

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    Running: 19.5km from Galway to Spiddal. Recovery from this run was easy, probably because of a midday nap!

Sunday
    Rest

Monday
    Running: 11km, mostly downhill.

Attended a talk in 53 Degrees North on training for Adventure Racing, just for curiosity. It was interesting enough, half attempted to do one or two next year for the laugh.

Tuesday

Decision made:
    • Starting 18-week P&D 55-70 next week culminating in possible Art O'Neill in January.
    • Running Dublin Marathon as a slow training run.

Interested in Clonakilty Marathon (hills ;)) in December.

Also maybe interested in Brandon Mountain Half Marathon on 12th October, which clashes with Conamara 10k :(

Art O Neill? Savage. Loved the reports of it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Be careful with the 55-70 program, I found it difficult, but maybe if you're doing the 18 week version it'll give you that good lead in.

Just remember what happened last year though.........

statss wrote: »
    Art O Neill? Savage. Loved the reports of it last year.

It's a great event alright. I had to drop out at the first checkpoint last year despite being one of the first there!
    Be careful with the 55-70 program, I found it difficult, but maybe if you're doing the 18 week version it'll give you that good lead in.

Just remember what happened last year though.........

I hear you :) For some reason 33-55 doesn't appeal to me. My peak week on 33-55 wouldn't be much more than what I'm doing at the moment. My experience with 55-70 wasn't bad last year, I don't think I missed a single run and rarely missed the target paces.

I reckon I'll forgo some of the VO2 Max sessions and add a few kms for back-to-back long runs. I became injured last year once I started doing my own thing - all runs 18k+ and hilly and no stretching or core work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what you need is to join a club....;)

RayCun wrote: »
    what you need is to join a club....;)

Thanks Ray! I was considering Bros but I probably won't be in Dublin much longer, I'm moving to Galway soon, definitely by next April. Do you do 6-month memberships? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Membership is only 50 quid at the moment, we're practically giving it away :)

I'm pretty sure I started to go down to Sportsworld at the back end of October last year and they didn't look for money off me until January so that might be the way to go instead. :pac:

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I started to go down to Sportsworld at the back end of October last year and they didn't look for money off me until January so that might be the way to go instead. :pac:

Plus I'm sure Digger would be more than willing to 'give it away' for free too but that might have other consequences!:p

Advertisement