Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Overtraining is the word.

If you take P&D's description of hill running as a form of VO2 Max workout, I have been doing nothing but VO2 Max sessions since DCM. No wonder I ended up with a hamstring injury. I have done no recovery pace runs at all, just recovery days. How stupid is that?!

I think DCM was a bit of an anti-climax for me and this pushed me to train harder (and less smart) for AON. I only have four and half weeks left to train for AON. I need to have a proper look at my training plan. I suppose I'm looking at a two-week taper now, rather than the three I was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Why was DCM an anti-climax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If you take P&D's description of hill running as a form of VO2 Max workout, I have been doing nothing but VO2 Max sessions since DCM. No wonder I ended up with a hamstring injury. I have done no recovery pace runs at all, just recovery days. How stupid is that?!
    Well its worked for you, but I could not get near to the amount of miles and hard looking sessions you have been doing? That has shown in the great times you have ran.

Im a firm believer in hard day - easy day [or even Hard-hard-easy], as your body needs a rest.

I have been doing "random" runs since DCM, with no real goal or purpose and I have really enjoyed it; and feel in really good shape and ready to go now, as I get into Conn Ultra training. [but that being said, Im sure you will be LITERALLY hours ahead of me on the course, on the day!]

Why was DCM an anti-climax ?

I didn't have a chance to relax during the week after the marathon. It just never really sunk in. That and I was already thinking about Art O'Neill.
    Well its worked for you, but I could not get near to the amount of miles and hard looking sessions you have been doing? That has shown in the great times you have ran.

Im a firm believer in hard day - easy day [or even Hard-hard-easy], as your body needs a rest.

I have been doing "random" runs since DCM, with no real goal or purpose and I have really enjoyed it; and feel in really good shape and ready to go now, as I get into Conn Ultra training. [but that being said, Im sure you will be LITERALLY hours ahead of me on the course, on the day!]

I'm not too sure about Conn yet to be honest - my hamstring is not 100% yet, and I'm not sure if I'm into doing long miles on tarmac and concrete over the next few months.

Your rate of improvement has been consistent, by next summer I predict we'll be running the same times as long as you don't do something drastic!

Cycling: 48km in total. Another tooth extraction delayed my return to running :(

Running: 5km on Saturday. Finally a run, in daylight. I cut it short as my hamstring still felt a little tight.

• Advertisement

Monday

Cycling: 32km to and from work via Carrickmines.

Tuesday

Cycling: 12km to work. Getting stitches out at dentist later. He's probably going to tell me to take it easy for another few days :mad:

This training cycle has been a disaster lately - nearly three weeks without a quality run. Christmas and New Year's isn't looking very good for training either - I will be in Galway for a good bit (no good trails near me) and in Kerry for a few days (lots of hills and trails but no time). I want to stay away from tarmac to speed up my recovery.

On the flip side, I've been reading loads of P&D's Road Racing for Serious Runners and fingers crossed I'll be starting a 12-week plan for 5-mile training in February for peaking at the Terenure 5-Mile on May 19th. No plans beyond that. Also on the flip side is that I'll have very healthy teeth ready for eating lots of food at Christmas!

Art O'Neill is still on - I'm as stubborn as a mule :pac:

Wednesday

Pints

Thursday

Pints

Friday

Cycling: 12km home from work.

Pints

Saturday

Mince-pies & cream

Sunday

Pints

Quite a bit of work-related and other stress at the moment is taking its toll on me. I'm glad of the pints.

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day

No exercise

St. Stephen's Day

Running: 10km or so down to and around Bushy Park for a few laps. The tightness in my hamstring and calf has gone away, I didn't feel the plantar fasciitis either until afterwards. During the run I rightly felt like I hadn't run in nearly four weeks. Did a bit of foam rolling afterwards. The PF feels sore in my non-running shoes.

On the way down to Galway now - I will get a few runs in and see if I can get my longest run in before the New Year. Will hopefully hike Croagh Patrick in Mayo or somewhere in Kerry during the week too.

I forgot to mention that I’ve started doing yoga classes, yoga as Gaeilge actually! I had the first class last week and I really enjoyed it. I was raised through Irish and haven’t had the same opportunity to practice it since I started running, so it’s a great chance to mix two of my favourite pastimes, Irish and exercise, together.
    The teacher is excellent and has a good eye for everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, including that I have hyperextension in my joints. It's great for stress relief too. I felt fantastic after the class and really motivated me to start it properly in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Is this 'normal' yoga or the hot yoga?

• Advertisement

Is this 'normal' yoga or the hot yoga?

Just the normal yoga. I highly recommend it!

Thursday

Running: 21km from Spiddal to Galway. I felt tired from yesterday's 10km but otherwise fine. I faded a lot in the last few miles, probably because I had no water or food with me. A good bit of soreness in the quads later that evening.

Friday

Rest

Saturday

Rest

Sunday

Running: I psyched myself up for going out in the howling wind and rain to do an easy 10km. 500m later I knew I wasn't able for it - my hamstring was tight and my quads were sore.

I decided not to run the Art O'Neill any more after only covering 750m, but to do the hike instead.

Tuesday, New Year's Day

Hiking: 12km from Ballinagee Woods to Three Lakes and back again. I woke up with what felt like a chest infection. The navigation was grand. We decided to try out climbing from Art's Plaque to Art's Cross. A distance of 650m with 160m of climbing. Not advisable!

The cross to the Three Lakes is easy. Just a hard slog across peat hags that looks like the surface of Mars. Our route back was descending along the banks of Asbawn Brook. It was too steep for climbing up. The ridge to the east of the Brook is where you want to climb.

I thought we had covered around 20km so was very disappointed to find out it was only 12km max. My foot (plantar fasciitis) was very sore at the end.

Wednesday

Back at work today. Had to go to the doctor as my chest infection felt very sore. She has given me 3 days off work and a course of antibiotics for a bronchial infection. Not looking good now for the Art O'Neill in any form :mad: The doctor was also worried by my blood pressure - most likely due to work, which is mounting in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Tuesday, New Year's Day

Hiking: 12km from Ballinagee Woods to Three Lakes and back again. I woke up with what felt like a chest infection. The navigation was grand. We decided to try out climbing from Art's Plaque to Art's Cross. A distance of 650m with 160m of climbing. Not advisable!

Sorry to hear about the chest infection. Hopefully it clears up pretty soon.

The climb from the plaque to the cross is a tough one! Is that the way you plan to go on the day? (If you go)

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the chest infection. Hopefully it clears up pretty soon.

The climb from the plaque to the cross is a tough one! Is that the way you plan to go on the day? (If you go)

Thanks, fingers crossed I'll be well enough.

I won't be going up that way, it's too dangerous for anyone with 45kms in their legs, a simple slip could result in some nasty injuries!

I'll be going up via the ridge between Glenreemore and Asbawn brooks. Once I find their confluence, I'll take a bearing to head straight for the ridge. If I were running I'd definitely take that route.

ArtsCrossViaRidge.jpg

Interesting.

I remember it not being too bad. It's a steep sharp climb and you're over.

You planning anymore recces? I've yet to do the last section. Calf is still tight/sore. Sports massage tomorrow so hopefully that'll clear it.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Interesting.

I remember it not being too bad. It's a steep sharp climb and you're over.

You planning anymore recces? I've yet to do the last section. Calf is still tight/sore. Sports massage tomorrow so hopefully that'll clear it.

It was very slippery on Tuesday, and the more people that go up it between now and that morning, the worse it'll get. I had a few 'moments' despite not being afraid of heights or anything like that! For only 750m, it was far too slow for my liking (about 20 minutes).

That said, I don't know what the ridge is like, I'm only judging by the map contours and my views of the ridge from a short distance on Tuesday :pac: Although it is the route that a few of the IMRA regulars took on previous occasions.

I don't have any plans for another recce, unless I'm well enough by Sunday. Unfortunately I can only hike it if so. Are you going out at the weekend?

Look after that calf!

I hope to a reccee on Sunday, very happy to hike it. Physio tomorrow so will see what the state of play is then.

I was looking at Enduro's garmin and he went up to the ridge too. It *looks* relatively straight forward.

I've been making the most of my 3 sick days - antibiotics, hot whiskey, Vick's, Exputex, Solpadeine. It's clearing up now.
    Interestingly, my plantar fasciitis has been giving me very little trouble, probably because I haven't left the house in 48 hours. Have I no pain because I haven't walked far enough in that time, or is it because I've been off my feet and looking after it?!

My physio recommended me a taping technique to keep my foot in a dorsiflexed position throughout the night, which means that the foot is stretched so that the toes are brought closer to the shin. I've been told this prevents scar tissue from forming, which is a bad thing!

I've also been doing foam rolling on my hamstring, calf and foot, along with other stretches, followed by some hot/cold 'contrast' therapy.

I'm very grateful for Sky 007 - I've watched six Bond films in the past few days :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've been making the most of my 3 sick days - antibiotics, hot whiskey, Vick's, Exputex, Solpadeine. It's clearing up now.
    Interestingly, my plantar fasciitis has been giving me very little trouble, probably because I haven't left the house in 48 hours. Have I no pain because I haven't walked far enough in that time, or is it because I've been off my feet and looking after it?!
    Has the solpadeine been masking the issue instead?

I've also been doing foam rolling on my hamstring, calf and foot, along with other stretches, followed by some hot/cold 'contrast' therapy.
    So that will be a pint of cold lager with the hot whiskey chaser?:)

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Has the solpadeine been masking the issue instead?

So that will be a pint of cold lager with the hot whiskey chaser?:)

I don't think so as I took my last Solpadeine yesterday afternoon. Unless it's still having an effect on me! I swear by that contrast therapy though - it's great for reducing inflammation.

I think I've had my fill of medicinal substances, despite really wanting a cold lager since you posted that :mad: :)

Monday

This was my last day off work with a doctor's cert. The chest infection cleared up a lot after 5 days on a course of antibiotics and total rest from everything, including all forms of exercise.

Cycling

Cycled into town to attend the AON information night. I felt very unfit!

Tuesday to Thursday

No exercise. The rate of recovery from my chest infection slowed a lot since I finished the course of antibiotics. An early night on Thursday night was on the cards but I was probably too nervous to get good sleep.

Friday

I started work at 7.30am and finished at 4pm so I could get ready and have a little sleep before heading in to Dublin Castle. Was home at 5.30 because of traffic :mad: and didn't get any time for a sleep before getting the taxi into town.

Pre-'race'

Arrived at 9.30pm with my mate Henry and registered before all the crowds came. I spent most of that time chatting to people like grahamor and a few other IMRA runners. They all seemed to be very relaxed about the whole thing! I prepared some of my food and re-packed my bags about 3 times.

Midnight Start - Stage 1
    We headed outside with about 10 minutes to go and realised it was raining. Time for the waterproof trousers already!

The start had a good atmosphere and I got chatting to a former student before I had to push on to re-find Henry. Most of the route out to my first milestone - Templeogue Bridge - was spent passing people out with a slow jog and then a fast walk once we got past them. By Templeogue I was already feeling a tightness in my hamstring.

From here to Bohernabreena the field started thinning out more. I think by the M50 that there around 15 walkers ahead of us. The headtorches were donned just after the end of the streetlights at Bohernabreena. The first proper climb of the day was to my second milestone - Stone Cross. This was a tough climb but I was well used to it from all my hill running. The first early-starting hybrid passed us out here.

Stone Cross to Kilbride Army Camp was a b!tch - The Neverending Hill. It didn't seem that hard when we drove it downhill 2 months ago ;) Still I wasn't suffering as much as Henry was. More and more hybrids started passing us out on this hill. It wasn't until the first downhill that I started feeling any real pain. My plantar fasciitis was very painful and it slowed us down a lot. A few walkers started passing us out here and I was seriously considering dropping out because of the pain. I took a banana and a mandarin here. The next uphill from the bridge over the Shankill River was fine, so clearly it was the downhill that was inflaming the PF.

Between here and the turnoff at Ashdown is where Eoin Keith, the Ultra leader and eventual winner, passed us out at a very decent pace. We gave him an appreciated shout out. It was only a minute or two until the next runner went by at a similar pace to Eoin's. At Ballysmuttan Bridge, the bridge over the Liffey to the "Northsoide", we had a good look up at the field of participants in front of us and their height on the road was very ominous. Looking back at the rest of the field was special, seeing a big long line of headtorches and hi-viz jackets!

The last section to Checkpoint 1 at Ballinagee Woods was hard enough, but by now I was so sore all over that I couldn't really feel the PF any more. I felt like I had blisters on the soles of my feet and expected it as I had never worn that brand of socks before. Nerraw passed us out just before the checkpoint. I was surprised to see him, in particular in such a good mood, as I didn't see him in Dublin Castle and presumed his calf caused him to do a no-show.

At Checkpoint 1, (about 4:55am) I found my bag quick enough. With my feet off the ground and socks off, I found no blisters! It took me an age to do the necessities here - change into hiking socks, boots and gaiters, scarf and hat, fill up the Camelbak, change the headtorch batteries and go for a pee. I had a cold wrap and a few squares of chocolate but nothing the organisers provided, nothing warm. I got cold very quickly, which was surprising because I hadn't even worn any hat or gloves all the way from Dublin Castle.

Stage 2
    We headed off before the second Guided Group left and with my good gloves on, I warmed up nicely quickly enough. Henry was a few paces ahead of me most of the time which was a change. Usually we caught up with each other after a few seconds, but this time I was really lacking in energy and he had to keep stopping to let me catch up. This was really getting to me and started playing on my mind.

Henry asked me if I wanted to sit and down and rest and I said not until there was somewhere like a rock or somewhere to sit down on. I forgot about it and when Henry spotted a rock about 10 minutes late near the end of the forest track and I went over and sat. My heart was racing and pounding despite the snail's pace we were walking at.

Having sore muscles and joints is something I'm willing to endure, but with my heartrate so high, I knew it was a bad idea to continue past the track and on to the mountainous section on to Checkpoint 2. I didn't want the embarassment of a Mountain Rescue either so I made the right decision and bailed out when the second Guided Group arrived. I felt very bad about leaving Henry with a group but I think he may have benefitted from the company.

It was a long, slow walk back to Checkpoint 1, especially having to stop at each group and tell the Guides what I was doing going the other way! The lads at Checkpoint 1 looked after me (everybody had left by now) and offered me a lift back home, or to Glenmalure. I chose Glenmalure, not wanting to miss out on any more of the AON action!

About 15 Ultras had finished by the time I got there, so I knew it was going to be a while (hours) until anyone I knew was going to arrive. I saw Grahamor and an IMRA friend arrive and was delighted to see Henry sprinting across the ford at 12.59 having done Stage 3 mostly on his own and jogged 5km down Table Track to the finish. What a legend!

I'm not majorly disappointed and I'm glad I bailed out when I did. In hindsight, aside from the immediate danger of feeling ill and needing Mountain Rescue in the middle of the mountains, my decision may have been a trade-off between either finishing it and feeling like a legend, or bailing out and acknowledging that I'm not a legend and that I have a few things I need to deal with before I can take on something as challenging as the Art O'Neill.

Edit:

Stage 1: 4:54:58
    Checkpoint 1: 0:48:48
    Placing at CP1: 35/126

Great, great decision. Cant believe you started it in the 1st place, given your recent weeks!!!

I think anyone who makes the type of decision that you made is very brave and is looking to the long term. If you had of continued, God knows what may have happened. Having ran with you in the past, I'm 100% sure that if you had of been 85% fit that you would have nailed this run, so its great to see that you 'stepped off' and didn't let pride (the downfall of many runners) get in the way.

Take a rest for a while and get some more goals for yourself for the coming years.

Well done you for a smart but difficult decision!

All I have done exercise-wise in the two weeks since AON is a hike up Diamond Hill in Connemara National Park. Those mountains are just incredible!

Health-wise I'm feeling a lot better. It was a case of getting worse before I got better as I got cold sores and felt weak. The Connemara air must have done me good as I feel ten times better now.

I had my final wisdom tooth removed too so it's probably good that I have no immediate plan to return to running. I would have thought that my Plantar Fasciitis would have improved by now but it still feels sore while walking. I need to have a chat with my physio about it as I don't feel comfortable running again until the PF feels better.

I still really want to run though!
    537195_10151364426403944_1211020470_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Wow, that view does look amazing!

No harm having a few weeks off with all the miles you did in 2012! Think positive and pretend your letting your body get fresh and recover before hitting your next goal at speed :)

Great photo. Wow.

Going from Marathon to AON will mean that you have a strong endurance level, you wont loose that in a couple of weeks.

Great photo. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Probably know this but rolling a tennis ball/hockey ball/sliotar on the sole of your foot may help. Sure see what the physio says. You won't lose that fitness overnight.

Thanks for the support!

My physio is booking an X-ray for me with Cappagh Hospital (National Orthopaedic Hospital) for my bad (left) leg. It appears to be shorter than the other, but apparently only an x-ray can verify that with precision. Steps after that may include orthotics.

He has also ordered one of the dorsal night splints which will keep my foot in a 90-degree position to stretch the fascia while I sleep. It's effective in the majority of cases of plantar fasciitis. If that doesn't work I may need to get a corticosteroid injection into my foot :eek:

Meanwhile, I'm back to cycling to work for the first time in 6 weeks :) I'm going to start core strengthening this week, including yoga on Thursday night.

• Advertisement

Cycling

In total I did 72km commuting last week. The legs were sore by Wednesday but was gone by Thursday. The hills nearly killed me (Kilmacud Road Upper and Ballinteer Road either side of Dundrum).

This week I'm aiming to cycle to and from work every day, for a total of 120km.

Core Work

I only did core work twice, and did no yoga. Aim for this week is 3 plus yoga.

No update yet from physio, need to get on top of that.

Advertisement