Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

statss wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I started to go down to Sportsworld at the back end of October last year and they didn't look for money off me until January so that might be the way to go instead. :pac:

They're a bunch of slackers :P

(the serious point is that you won't be registered with AAI until you pay your membership, and you're not covered by club insurance until you're registered with AAI. So most clubs will let an adult go to a few sessions without joining, but it shouldn't be an extended period)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was that you in the yellow jacket cycling on the Leopardstown Rd this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Was that you in the yellow jacket cycling on the Leopardstown Rd this evening?

Yep, just home and about to post the same. You were a long way from home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep, just home and about to post the same. You were a long way from home!

Moved gaff ;)

Tuesday
    Cycle already log.
    Cycling: 12km home

Wednesday
    Cycling: 12km commuting
    Running: 12km commuting

Thursday
    Running: 12km to work.
    Cycling: 40km via Glencree, bumping into Menoscemo en route. Just back home before dark.

Friday
    Cycling: 24km commuting. The bike I used the previous night must have had a slow puncture. I could have been stranded up the mountains last night!

Sunday
    Running: 22km. Got up early enough and ran up to Templeogue Bridge and followed the Art O'Neill route until I reached 11km. Interesting to see it in the day. Not feeling too bad now this evening. P&D 55-70 starting tomorrow smile.png

• Advertisement

Monday
    Yoga: 20 minutes
    Cycling: 12km
    Running: 14km with 6km at half-marathon pace. I procrastinated the start of the faster kms by 1km - was pointless as I got into the groove pretty quickly and kept the pace all the way through. It's nice to have a structured run again. I also missed having cool-downs at the end of my run, very beneficial.

Tuesday
    Running: 18km medium-long. To Dún Laoghaire and up and down the West Pier twice. That familiar tiredness in my muscles is back again :) It's all good.
    Cycling: 12km later this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

what's you current HMP out of interest?

what's you current HMP out of interest?

Good question. I've no heart-rate monitor or recent race times to indicate. Yesterday I just ran at 5:10min/km as it felt like lactate threshold pace.

I'll get all my paces sorted next week when my HRM arrives.

planning on doing a 12 mile MLR on the DCM route this evening starting at Terenure around 6.30, if you are around give a shout.

planning on doing a 12 mile MLR on the DCM route this evening starting at Terenure around 6.30, if you are around give a shout.

Thanks, but I've already done 11+ miles today :) Do you usually run mornings or evenings?

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I've already done 11+ miles today :) Do you usually run mornings or evenings?

fair play. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6-8pm in the evening is when I'm allowed out to play before I have to be home for my dinner :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

be careful - with the HM on Sat, you dont want to stretch yourself.
    Most I'm doing this week is 8 on Wed & 6 Rec on Thurs.

be careful - with the HM on Sat, you dont want to stretch yourself.
    Most I'm doing this week is 8 on Wed & 6 Rec on Thurs.

I hear ya, plan is to do this tonight, 4-5 recovery tomorrow, with Thursday & Friday off. Should be okay I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I hear ya, plan is to do this tonight, 4-5 recovery tomorrow, with Thursday & Friday off. Should be okay I think.

I think you should be good, the main thing is the marathon for me so I've 14 penciled in for tonight before minimal recovery miles for the rest of the week!

blockic wrote: »
    I think you should be good, the main thing is the marathon for me so I've 14 penciled in for tonight before minimal recovery miles for the rest of the week!

yeah that was my thinking too. I think as we have youth on our side we will be grand ;);););)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

yeah that was my thinking too. I think as we have youth on our side we will be grand ;);););)

Only catching up on the logs here now and he is mad about the "be careful" alright. The poor old legs couldn't handle 60 mile weeks... :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

blockic wrote: »

The main thing is....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun wrote: »
    Membership is only 50 quid at the moment, we're practically giving it away :)

He wants good value not cheap :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

get off Micilin's lawn, you pesky cretins........

Wednesday
    Running: 8km recovery early morning around Bushy Park. Had an Epsom salts bath last night, felt nice and refreshed for this morning's run.

Cycling:
    30km

Yoga:
    1-hour class.

Thursday
    Cycling: 12km to work

Running
    : 14km General Aerobic. Ran it really slow (slower than 6:05min/km).

Friday
    Running: 8km recovery at lunch time up and down the piers in Dún Laoghaire. My replacement HRM strap arrived this morning so I wore it for this run. My recovery pace is a lot faster than I had thought (146bpm = 5:40min/km). 146bpm is my old recovery HR. I have since become older (now M30 :mad:) so I think that goes up to 147bpm now according to some of the methodologies. I better check that out later.

Heading to Galway for the weekend. Might head out to that Brother O'Connell/Rudisha event at Dangan running track tomorrow.

Also, I'm in position 95th in the 1000-mile challenge. Looking forward to working my way up!

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Running: 24km Medium-Long Run around the quiet hilly roads of Cois Fharraige in Galway. I filled up my Camelbak with 2 litres of water to make my running bag heavier. I need to get used to running with a heavier bag if I'm going to run the AON.

I kept the heart rate under 79% for the first 12km and under 84% for the second half and didn't look at the pace once. I faded slightly towards the end of the run, probably because the last few kms back to the house are uphill. My longest run since last November :)

Something that was pointed out to me today is that my stomach seems to bloat after a long run. I never really paid much heed to it before, I just thought I had a bit of a belly anyway :pac:. Reading up on it online and there are some different explanations: dehydration, overhydration, hyponatremia (salt and water imbalance) and running too soon after eating.

Regardless, I'm going to see a nutritionist friend next weekend to see if there's anything I should change in my diet. I've had stomach issues for a few years now and a few recent changes in my diet have made a positive difference. Avoiding dairy (replacing with soya milk and yoghurt), wheat (hardly any bread or Guinness any more), coffee, and no meat except at weekends. It has made a difference and I have fewer problems now, but would like a second opinion apart from my own!

Also, myfitnesspal is a great tool for getting a general idea of what you're eating and for weight loss. After eating a lovely pre-dinner snack this week, I subsequently found out that it was over 1200 calories :eek: Won't be doing that again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good, never met a belcher like you on a run :)

Good, never met a belcher like you on a run :)

Really?! Have never noticed it - that's not a good thing!

Monday
    Running: 13km General Aerobic with 10 x 100m strides. My bag was pretty heavy for this, so I was very slow, especially because I was trying to keep the heart rate between 70 and 80%. Strides were not comfortable. I'm just not used to getting my heart rate high.

Cycling: 12km home from work. Headwind into gale-force winds!

Tuesday
    Cycling: 12km to work. Slipped going around a corner and bruised my hip. At least the fall looked good :pac:

Running: 19km Medium-Long. Heavy bag again. The persistent rain tonight was a bit annoying at the start, but once I got going I realised how much I like the rain compared to blistering hot sun!

The plan was to keep the heart rate low enough for the first half and let it rise in the second. Once I dumped the bag at home and continued on for another 7km, I picked up the pace a good bit. In fact I was quite surprised at how fast I am at 84% of max (the faster end of the medium-long prescribed HR) - I was running at 5:18min/km which is way faster than I would have thought.

Wednesday
    Running: 8km Recovery into town for my yoga class. Nice and comfortable.
    Yoga: 1.5 hours. Felt ready for another run after the class.

Thursday
    Running: 14km General Aerobic.
    Cycling: 16km home from work.

Friday
    Cycling: 12km to work.
    Running: 8km Recovery at lunch time with a friend. The conversation really let the time pass.

Tomorrow has me doing a 26km with 13km at Marathon Pace. Can't wait for those kms :rolleyes: Not! I'm sure it'll be grand after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've been watching your progress over the last few months, you're really whacking up the miles considering how you were with injury at the start of the summer.

Saturday
    Running: 26km with 13km @ MP.
    13km from Spiddal to far side of Bearna and back. The first 13km were at Long-Medium run HR, ie 74%-84%. The 13km @ MP was on the return journey, into the headwind, all run by HR @ 79-88%. My pace was a bit all over the place because of the wind, but pace is not something I'm all that bothered by at the moment.

@ThisRegard - Any plans yourself at the moment? I'm feeling surprisingly well these days despite the high mileage. My legs feel a wee tired today, but nothing like after last week's 24km run. I'm a bit mystified by how well I feel. It's not as if I'm doing loads of yoga or cross-training by my previous standards. Or maybe that is the reason! Another reason could be the weight loss in the past 3-4 weeks. I haven't weighed myself but the loss is clear enough to see :) Probably around 70kgs at the moment. Still some too lose around the belly and upper body.

Very sad news from the Half in the Park today. It's very sobering that it could have been any one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I always have grand plans ! The current one is to get some speed work and intervals done over the winter as I think my speed really suffered this year, distance wise I was fine but just didn't have the fast leg turnover apart from in the shorter races. But with a second child due to arrive in December that'll be all out the window I'm sure.

I couldn't really figure out what happened this year until it hit me one evening, I've done no cycling whatsoever this year, but I didn't up the amount of runs I did to compensate.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Running: 18km Medium-Long to work. Woke up with a bad pain in my stomach. A few trips to the loo and I was OK again. Once running, I felt fresh a daisy - the last few kms weren't too hard at all. After my shower I felt very dodgy again until after my lunch. Despite all the exercise, all I ate today was soup and a bowl of cocopops :eek:.

Cycling: 12km home.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 12km to work.

Running: 21km Medium-Long with Statss from Sydney Parade to Rathfarnham via Rathgar-Marlay Park-Terenure and home. Running bag weighed 2kg+ but I think I'm getting very used to that kind of weight now. Statss was kind enough to run at my slower pace, but the miles still flew quickly with a good chat. Very glad of the company!

Advertisement