Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:24:50 (1.1.11)|00:24:00
    5 miles|00:41:45 (21.11.10)|00:40:00
    10km|00:58:00 (10.12.06)|00:50:00
    10 miles||01:20:00
    Half Marathon|02:50:53 (30.10.06)|01:50:00
    Marathon|06:30:51 (30.10.06)|03:50:00

Wednesday

Swimming
    24 Lengths in 40 mins. Not as good as my last swim before Christmas.

Running
    5 miles in the Phoenix Park. Did Kyber Road as my last mile. My hips didn't feel great around the middle of the run, I might need to do some strengthening exercises.

Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 46:54
    Pace: 9:23min/mile
    Climb: 20m

Friday

Bought this bag yesterday which is suitable for running. Ran home from Drumcondra today where I was doing some work. GPS crashed (again) :mad:. I enjoyed running through the city but the traffic lights wrecked my head! Will be running home from work more often from the end of January when I do more work out there.

Distance: 4.25miles
    Time: 39:00
    Pace: 9:10min/mile

I've planned a major hill run for Sunday, a 400m+ climb over 8 miles from Glencairn Luas stop to Three Rock and Two Rock Mountainsbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Enjoying the log Micilin Muc. Looks like you're making some good steady progress. Fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Friday

Bought this bag yesterday which is suitable for running. Ran home from Drumcondra today where I was doing some work. GPS crashed (again) :mad:. I enjoyed running through the city but the traffic lights wrecked my head! Will be running home from work more often from the end of January when I do more work out there.

Distance: 4.25miles
    Time: 39:00
    Pace: 9:10min/mile

I've planned a major hill run for Sunday, a 400m+ climb over 8 miles from Glencairn Luas stop to Three Rock and Two Rock Mountainsbiggrin.gif

Would love to be able to run to/from work.
    You are doing great, really getting the miles in. Good luck with the hills on Sunday...hope the snow stays away!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just saw this log now. Great progress, well done! Hope you reach those goals.

Cheers! Can't usually run home from work as I usually work from home which is even better! Getting a bit nervous about tomorrow's hill run, more nervous than next week's 10-miler :(

Sunday

Ow :o!

Didn't start at Glencairn Luas stop as planned, but drove to Fernhill Gardens and ran from there up to Three Rock and Fairy Castle with a partner.

Fernhill Gardens to Barr na Coille was a tough enough ascent (80m over 0.5 mile). The further ascent from Carthy's Green up to the masts was tough too (200m over 2 miles) and we took a 3 minute break at the masts to take in the views and have some water. I tried ingesting a gel for the first time but it gave me cramps.

Continued on around the western side of Fairy Castle, found the terrain on the final ascent up to the summit quite difficult because of the snow and ice. On the eastern descent I slipped a few times and went over on my ankle. Re-entering the forest was a bit of shock to my eyes with no snow to brighten it up. Didn't see a spot of frost and slipped spectacularly onto my backside! I reckon it was quite funny to the hikers having a rest behind me!

Took it easy from then on and was extra-careful on the ice. Definitely my most enjoyable run so far and am more impressed with reaching the summit of Fairy Castle than completing an 8-mile run :D

Distance: 8.5 miles
    Overall Time: 2 hours
    Running Time: 1:45:00
    Pace: 12:21min/mile
    Climb: 400m

Tuesday

Still feel sore all over from the running and the fall on Sunday. I didn't fancy going to the Park so I ran from home instead - up and down the Grand Canal to Suir Road and back. I unintentionally started off quite quickly, didn't feel the need to slow down so I kept it up.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 24:03
    Pace: 8:00min/mile
    Climb: 0m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Jeez Micilin you're getting in some runs and general all-round sporting goodness! I'm impressed! :)

• Advertisement

Thursday

I want to keep pushing myself harder so today I tried to see what speed I could keep up over 2 miles. My biggest problem wasn't my legs, but my breathing - still feeling a bit wheezy after the run. There's another 2-mile training run scheduled for tomorrow so I'll take it easy then before my big 10-miler on Sunday. Currently looking at running it around Djouce or Maulin down in Wicklow :)

Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 15:32
    Pace: 7:46min/mile

Friday

I think this was my first time running in the rain! Did an easy 2 miles up and down the Canal. (Doesn't easy mean not particularly fast?!)

Time: 18:12
    Pace: 9:06min/mile

Sunday - 10 miles

Route: Cycled to the Phoenix Park to run a route more or less the same as the Frank Duffy 10 Miles. Ran from the Papal Cross up to the Phoenix Monument and down towards the Lords' Walk and Spa Road, up the North Road, down Chesterfield Avenue again, turned off at Wellington Road, up Military Road and Acres Road and down Chesterfield a third time to finish up near the Papal Cross.

The run: I didn't have much of a job in getting a PB, in fact two PBs for 10 miles and 10km :D The first 5 miles were easy enough, I think they were faster than the second 5. Had a banana and 500ml water planted at the 5-mile mark. It went down better than the gel last week. The second 5 miles were definitely slow, probably because of the hills. Very happy with my progress.

Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:27:00
    Pace: 8:42min/mile
    Climb: 60m

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:24:50 (1.1.11)|00:24:00
    5 miles|00:41:45 (21.11.10)|00:40:00
    10km|00:54:03 (16.1.11)|00:50:00
    10 miles|01:27:00 (16.1.11)|01:20:00
    Half Marathon|02:50:53 (30.10.06)|01:50:00
    Marathon|06:30:51 (30.10.06)|03:50:00

Now that the 10-mile plan is over, I'll be on the Hal Higdon Novice Half-Marathon Plan for the next 12 weeks. Despite being so close to the 13.1 mile distance at the moment, I'm willing to decrease my weekly mileage to give me a bit of a rest and eventually quicken the pace in my shorter runs.

As this plan is training for the Connemarathon Half-Marathon in April, I'm going to do as many of my LSRs as possible on hills. I'll be running to/from work twice a week as well to save precious time for my studies.

Monday

Sore again from yesterday's 10-miler. Did stretching and some weights. It's been a while since I've done weights (3 weeks :eek:). Tús maith, leath na hoibre.

[HTML][/HTML] I'll be on the Hal Higdon Novice Half-Marathon Plan for the next 12 weeks. Despite being so close to the 13.1 mile distance at the moment, I'm willing to decrease my weekly mileage to give me a bit of a rest and eventually quicken the pace in my shorter runs.

Me too! Think it makes sense (thanks for advice!) and maybe I can even increase my speed (:rolleyes:). Started today, now just 11 weeks and 6 days to go!! Those hills are the stuff of nightmares already!:D

maria74 wrote: »
    Those hills are the stuff of nightmares already!:D

You won't notice them if you train on hills! Both hills are 80-100-metre climbs. In comparison, the Ben of Howth is 171 metres :D Why don't you set Howth as a location for some of your LSRs?

Tuesday

Had a very busy day at work, crawled out of bed into my study at 7.00am! Didn't finish up until 4.30 so it was too late to cycle to the Phoenix Park (without a headlamp to run!). Ran up along the Canal to Suir Road and back again.
    Time: 25:21
    Pace: 8:27min/mile

[HTML][/HTML]
    You won't notice them if you train on hills! Both hills are 80-100-metre climbs. In comparison, the Ben of Howth is 171 metres :D Why don't you set Howth as a location for some of your LSRs?

Might do that in few weeks!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Swimming
    24 lengths in 35 minutes. Took plenty of rests!

Run
    Up to Dolphin's Barn along the Grand Canal and back. Quite slippy with all the frost!

Time: 16:49
    Pace: 8:25min/mile

PS. Although the Hal Higdon plan recommends either cross-training or a two-mile run on a Wednesday, I'm going to do both for a while and see how it goes.

Thursday

Running
    My first early-morning run in a while. Had a banana before I went out and it settled OK. Up to Suir Road and back with the moonlight shining over the Canal.

Time: 26:18
    Pace: 8:46min/mile

Strength Training
    Back at 15 reps X 3 of:
    • 6.6kg bench press & biceps curl
    • Lunges with 4.4kg barbell
    • Overhead pull with 3.3kg dumbbell
    • Crunches

Saturday

The HH plan proposes a 4-mile run for this week's LSR but I felt like doing a longer run instead. Drove up to Djouce Woods late yesterday evening in the dark with a running partner and we ran up through the woods with headlamps up behind Powerscourt Waterfall and back through the woods again. Very creepy seeing the eyes of the deer peering back at us from the woods!

My Christmas present of a Garmin 305 finally arrived during the week so this was my first chance to try it out. The HRM was very interesting and I tried to get my maximum heart-rate at the end of the run but I don't think I managed to get the max.

Distance: 7 miles
    Time: 1:22:28
    Pace: 12:15min/mile
    Climb: 401m
    HR: 158bpm
    Garmin Link

Tuesday Morning

Will be running from work tomorrow and to work on Thursday so I only did 1.89 miles this morning. Tried to get my maximum heart-again but I must have stopped before it plateaued. Will wait for next Sunday to get it again.

Distance: 1.89 miles
    Time: 16:52
    Pace: 8:56min/mile
    Climb: 0
    HR: 170bpm

Tuesday Afternoon

I've no time for swimming at the moment so my cross-training will be walking for the next little while (to and from work).

Distance: 5 miles

Wednesday

Ran home from work tonight. I never realised how much logistics is involved with it! I worked it out so that I have a very light bag running home on a Wednesday and running there on a Thursday.

Distance: 3.4 miles
    Time: 28:59
    Pace: 8:34min/mile
    Climb: 35m
    HR: 173bpm

Thursday

Ran into work this morning, great shower facilities in the college. I might even use the gym some morning. I'm thinking of investing in a pair of trail running shoes since I seem to be running the hills every weekend now! Might visit Runways later today.

Distance: 3.32 miles
    Time: 28:50
    Pace: 8:41min/mile
    Climb: 33m
    HR: 167bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dublogic

Brilliant effort. Thanks for the log.

Friday

3 miles walking. I miss the swimming pool!

• Advertisement

Sunday

Went back to Three Rock and Two Rock mountains and did a better route for a descent than the last time. Ran from the Blue Light pub carpark, back through Barr na Coille down to the southern end of the wood and entered the wood there.

We found it's easier to run straight up to Two Rock from the masts and to descend the south-western slope of Fairy Castle and follow the trail around the western side, a lot easier on the ankles!

Distance: 9 miles
    Time: 1:38:25
    Pace: 10:56min/mile
    Climb: 390m
    HR: 171bpm
    Garmin Link

Advertisement