Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ayjayirl's Back Garden Invitational Online Tournament.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Can I stream this ajay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Foamy takes it. 10-2

congrats foamy. Cross up vortex is an arse pain.
    .. For you Ry..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Gratz Foamy

Right guys, the tourney is over now. Congratulations to FoamyMushroom. As the Irish Online Champion, you will have to defend your title at the next one.

The running of this tournament was disrupted a bit by Christmas but all in all I think it went ok for the first one. I learned a few things:

1) Farz is crap - Probably the most important determination from the tourney.
    2) Ibuki's vortex is broken - :p
    3) Recording FT10 matches, commentating on them and trying to upload them on my interweb connection, whilst improved somewhat, is still very time consuming. Special Thanks to Doomitron for his help with this.
    4) I think we could easily run another one with a bigger pool
    5) Getting players to play their matches on time - For the most part, everyone was great in this regard (Thanks to all). Christmas didn't help matters and I know that life just gets in the way (as it should really). I think we have to accept the fact that when running something like this, things like this happen and we should have a pre-arranged course of action. This was a lack of foresight on my part and one that should be addressed for the next one.
    6) Unless there are objections, I am thinking of running another one. A little bit more structured with a more players - that is if there is interest in another one.
    7) I want to also thank Bush for broadcasting the final match.

Any thoughts or comments from anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Would you not consider switching to a faster format, e.g. FT5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I forgot to mention.

I have broadcasting equipment, I used to stream on JTV so if you need any matches streamed, I can do it if Bush isn't available.

I'm up for a 2nd online tourny!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Would you not consider switching to a faster format, e.g. FT5?

Might be an idea. I'd keep the finals and maybe the semi finals as a FT10 with the knockout stages before then and after groups to FT5. Might make sense, especially with larger numbers.

I was also toying with the idea of making this online tournament a regular thing for Ireland online. just a thought. We could hold the tourney periodically, open to all Irish players (Including Northern Ireland). Its main purpose is to put some highlight on the regular Irish players, use it as a medium to attract new players to come to inferno and other live competitions. Players might not go to an event but might take part in an online tourney as its just the sitting room away. The sense of involvement might bring a few more Hound like players to the scene. I know I have met Irish players online that I have never seen on boards/inferno. Not to mention that there are alot of players outside Dublin who might find it beneficial to play in this to get the cross mojoulation between players. I would probably not have played Sairus online without the tournament. Not through any reason other than we just wouldn't normally play online against each other. As a result my Rose match up is better than it was before. Pity my Ibuki match up is still rubbish. :(
    Plus its free - apart from the heartache ;)
    It will also give some structure to getting match up practice at a competitive level. (God knows I need it).

I'd be willing to run the next one but like inferno, I think it would be best to alternate the organisers between the coalition of the willing.

We could even start to seed the tourneys after a short while based on results. BTW - here is the finishing order for the tourney:

Rankings:
    1st: FoamyMushroom
    2nd: AyJayirl
    3rd: A-Trak
    3rd: Meducation
    5th: Sairus
    6th: Yreval
    6th: Banjo_B
    8th: UberPrinny_Baal

For rankings for the players who went out in the first knockout stages I just used games won in the match. If I got it wrong let me know.

Also rans:
    Farz
    Chopper
    Scavanger VIII
    Future Guy
    Rob2D
    Unky Chop Chop
    Misty Chaos
    Monkeyto

Thanks to all you guys for making it happen.

I leave it to the community to decide on Yeah/Neigh. Any objections?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

ayjayirl wrote: »

Rankings:
    1st: FoamyMushroom
    2nd: AyJayirl
    3rd: A-Trak
    3rd: Meducation
    5th: Sairus
    6th: Yreval
    6th: Banjo_B
    8th: UberPrinny_Baal

Haha, bottom of the top tier.

I liked this tournament for a couple of reasons:

(1) It didn't exclude people
    (2) It actually ran
    (3) It actually finished
    (4) Match videos with commentary were mad hype!

I think the difference between FT10 and FT5 from the perspective of the tournament is pretty negligible when people sit down to play. FT10 gives people time to try and adapt to a match when they're losing.

It definitely ads the most time when it comes to recording, uploading and commentating though. Maybe it should be up to Doom?

Guys, this has nothing to do with Azza's tourney. His actually inspired me to do something like this. His was an invitational. Agree or disagree with him isn't really the issue. As a result we have an opportunity, with community interest, to run an open online tourney.

Any tournament with a limited number of places will exclude people.

Which raises a question. If we are to run a regular on line tournament, should be limit numbers or just make bigger pools/groups? I would say to not have a limit at all, just use bigger groups/pools.

Re: recording - Doom has no problem with the level of recording etc, he has just been pretty sick recently so it has slowed him down.......further.

He's got The Hiv

• Advertisement

Ye just let everyone in and be harsher on people who dont play there games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think the FT10 in the 2nd round was fine, gave you a chance to adapt.

Edit - And I'd agree with Bush too. We all our busy etc, but if you can't play your match by a specified time frame, you shouldn't be allowed hold up the rest of the tourney, especially in 2nd stage.
    (Saying that, I was always able to organise and have my games played with everyone in groups and after that no problem.)

bush wrote: »
    Ye just let everyone in and be harsher on people who dont play there games.

Yeh, we would just set a date and any matches not played would be given bys to those who were available without exception. That way people wont enter unless they are committed to being available. Meds - I'm not having a go at you here just discussing it for the next tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I agree 100% with UberPrinny_Baal. :)
    also not sure about uploading ft10, i didnt watch any of those tbh

Advertisement