Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rush Play the o2 Thurs 12th May!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

****ING AWESOME. Many miles driven but totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭srfc1928

I'm not the most hardcore Rush fan but my God they are great. Such a positive atmosphere at the gig, although I was surprised how subdued a lot of the crowd were. Pretty sure every single person in the arena had one of the best nights of their lives. I'm so happy for the hardcore fans who have been waiting 20-30 years for it

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

thought it was an amazing gig last night
    enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would
    fantastic tight band and the energy on stage was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

Awesome:

adjective

1. inspiring awe.
    2. showing or characterized by awe.

What a gig. We were in the standing area, on Alex's side and the atmosphere was brilliant. Everytime Ive seen Rush they've blown me away but last night was special.

My arms are sore from air drumming !!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

Incredible! Geddy said something like "Sorry it took us so long to come, we'll hope to see you again". On radio Nova (what's like with the uh American accents?) Geddy said "truthfully, I've always said to our tour manager: I want to go to Ireland but when the itinerary comes back, there's no Ireland." Sounded genuine enough.

They blasted the crap out of those songs last night. There'll always be disappointed fans - with such a huge back catalogue - but personally I'd drop "leave that thing alone" and "Working Man" and play something great instead. Geddy probably enjoys a break from vocals now and then, so why not another instrumental, "Malignant Narcissism" instead? Anyway, there's no pleasing everyone.

Someone said Geddy's voice was top-notch. On the RIO DVD it really was, on the following live DVD it wasn't so great. Last night I thought he was still struggling. Should they de-tune a little at this stage to give him a bit of vocal room?

Alex was terrific fun as ever, striking silly poses and pulling faces for the amateur photographers, and pulling snooty expressions during Geddy's tricky bass runs.

"Free Will", "YYZ" and "Red Barchetta" were incredible. During the closing lines of "Barchetta" I felt genuinely moved.
    ----
    As ever, terrific work on the audio-visual side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭RayCon

I think it's a disgrace .... Ive been looking at Sky News all morning and Rush's awesomeness hasn't been reported once !!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Really only a casual fan, have owned a few albums and compilations over the years...but yeah very impressive. I missed the first half hour, what did they play?

Anyone else nearly have a coronary when that first massive explosion happened?
    Bambi wrote: »
    I missed the first half hour, what did they play?

Here is the setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Anyone else nearly have a coronary when that first massive explosion happened?

Here is the setlist.

Where's the setlist? :P

Yeah I was very surprised, didn't think they'd have bombs and fireworks :D
    I was in section M, row 40, so way up the back (great seats though), and it was LOUD. Can't imagine what it sounded like on stage!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Awesome gig last night, goes to show how much we've been missing out on over the years that they didn't come over here. The sound was amazing, and the themed backing video's superb. Some day they'll be recognised as 3 of the most amazing musicians around. Aside from that...one of the very few value for money concerts going I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The sound was amazing.

Apart from The Spirit of Radio, which was awful.
    Time Stand Still was an improvement, and after that, it was perfect.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really enjoyed the gig last night. No Scumbags in the crowd, everyone in the crowd was up for the gig. loved the videos that were on the screens during the songs (the imagery was brillent). The show started at 8.15 or around that and diddnt end till about 11.15/20 with about a 20 min intermisson. I loved the setlist id admit i didnt know a few songs on the setlist but they grew me on instanly. Geddy on was on fire and is a great singer and bass player and you could see he was enjoying the show (although his voice was great on Spirit of the radieo but we can forgive him for that lol), Alex was brillent and is one of the greatest guitarist of all time (very underated) and Neil was ****ing unreal you could sit and watch him play all night, his solo was brillent and is a guy who lives for playing drums. Rush were brillent and no person in the crowd could say it wasant worth the money. The standing area looked bigger than i thought, i was blocked d and the view was brillent.

very happy i went to the show and i will always remember it. next up is def leppard/Alice Cooper and Lizzy but that will be hard to live up to compard to Rush.

BTW i wonder did anyone buy the 90 euro Rush hoodie that was on sale at the merchandise stand (my guiness rush t shirt arrived dis morning :mad:) i bought a programme and poster for 25 euro.

Id say another Irish show will be in 2012/13.

The new album is going to be epic if the 2 new songs are anything to live by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

On bus back to Galway accompanied by moving pictures remastered! !!
    Get in there!
    What a band.
    All through the show I had to pinch myself I am watching rush in Ireland. L!!!

Some pictures:

itB0xs.jpg E7CT0s.jpg wTIvMs.jpg jLBRKs.jpg XdsUFs.jpg

oYEPzs.jpggUPTzs.jpgV3k4is.jpgBhJOis.jpgEKq71s.jpg

GbFKjs.jpgmOIRws.jpg1WU6Fs.jpgwEccas.jpgwoSFrs.jpg

4UdCzs.jpg RtQJEs.jpg Fo8E8s.jpg

edit: Hm they seem to be in reverse order :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Wish I went. I'm a big Neil Peart fan, he is the best rock drummer of all time, no question in my opinion.

Was watching a drum solo from him there on youtube. The syncopation was incredible, he was keeping a clave or something going in a perfect rhythm while doing incredible rolls.

Not my favourite drummer by any means, he strikes me as way too serious and cold when playing, why is this? Is it to do with personal issues in his past life?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Epic gig last night band were firing on all pistons as usual and as for the lighting....amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Incoming

How do they start the gig? Arrive on stage playing instruments (other than Peart of course) or wait for lights out and run on and grab?

Sounds and looks like it lived up to all expectations. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Immense gig, well worth the wait, IMO. I thought Red Barchetta in particular was outstanding, but there were so many highlights, it's hard to know where to start.

Yes, I did nearly have a coronary for the first explosion, it just came out of the blue! :D Anyone else think the fireworks on the second explosion later in the show were meant to go off for the first one as well and didn't?

Got some good pics, I think, will post some when I get a chance to get them off my camera later.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Not my favourite drummer by any means, he strikes me as way too serious and cold when playing, why is this? Is it to do with personal issues in his past life?

It's pure concentration. He was always like that, long before his family tragedies. I like the fact that he's so serious, proving that you don't have to gurn like an idiot to be impressive behind the kit. He has remarked that drumming for Rush concerts is like running a marathon and solving logarithms at the same time.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see they still have the Zanussi amps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What an incredible show, from start to finish it was quality. Sound, lights, Neil....couldn't ask for more.

I'm a big critic of the O2, but I will say the seats are amazing, even if I was way up the back. Could hear everything perfectly, it was clear, comfortable....everything was great. Harrys Bar outside the venue is class....never knew it existed.

So many people asking me about the Guinness tshirt, ranging from little prolonged glances to verbal gushing at how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

Mathiasb
    bloody great photos

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Some pictures:

itB0xs.jpg E7CT0s.jpg wTIvMs.jpg jLBRKs.jpg XdsUFs.jpg

oYEPzs.jpggUPTzs.jpgV3k4is.jpgBhJOis.jpgEKq71s.jpg

GbFKjs.jpgmOIRws.jpg1WU6Fs.jpgwEccas.jpgwoSFrs.jpg

Great photos Mathiasb.

Looks like an all male audience. Were there any females in the house??

Yes, there were women there, including one with a sign up the front, which said:
    LUV U
    Since 1976
    ... on one side, and the other seemed to say:
    TO ROCKS
    THIS RUSH GIRL

No, I didn't understand it either.

dolittle wrote: »
    Mathiasb
    bloody great photos

Cheers. I wish I had a better camera (or took pictures with my phone, they would've probably turned out better!)

I'm attempting to compress the few videos I have, so I can upload them on youtube...

Yes, there were women there, including one with a sign up the front, which said:
    LUV U
    Since 1976
    ... on one side, and the other seemed to say:
    TO ROCKS
    THIS RUSH GIRL

No, I didn't understand it either.

Neither did she probably. Blond?

Just kidding!!:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 michaelch

Hi guys,
    My son and I travelled down to the Rush concert last night from Belfast.
    Fantastic show and crowd!
    Quite a few of the guys had great Rush Guiness t shirts on which we thought were better than the ones being sold at the O2.
    Can anyone tell me where to buy one?

(Neil Pert is a legend!)

Advertisement