Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana - Do you respect them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

As has been already said there are good and bad individuals... Of course this is true of all countries police forces and of all professions at that..

However I am increasingly worried about a typically Irish attitude in Gardai culture. The 'Aah twil be grand' or 'sort it out over a few pints' attitude is I'm afraid to say an overwhelming factor in our countries police force. This has been trickling through the system for decades and there are many common practices of members of the Gardai that amount to incredible unprofessionalism.

A retired Garda Sergeant I know once commented that the introduction of free third level education made the Guards no longer an attractive career for those with an above average quantity of functioning braincells. This might indeed be a factor. Of course there are brilliant Guards working today but I personally feel that their professionalism is undermined by a culture among the force of 'Culchie -tea drinkin'- intermediate G.A.A playin' - mammy boy -thickos' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

Rhamiel wrote: »
    I personally feel that their professionalism is undermined by a culture among the force of 'Culchie -tea drinkin'- intermediate G.A.A playin' - mammy boy -thickos' :D

As a member of the Gardaí but not a member of the above mentioned group I salute you. And agree with you.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace that nearly 40% of people on here dont respect the Guards. Just another small indication of how boards is full of idiots.
    "Full of idiots"? That's a terrible thing to say about the majority of board.ie users who actually seem to respect the Gardai for some reason.:rolleyes:

A retired Garda Sergeant I know once commented that the introduction of free third level education made the Guards no longer an attractive career for those with an above average quantity of functioning braincells.
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:

A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
    English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
    Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
    Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bbarf

I think there is a huge issue with understanding what a 'public place' is. I understand it as a place owned by state and ruled by it's regulations (law). Many people think that public place is nobody's, by being public and they disrespect those who enforce the law.

I respect Gardai, even if some of them are lazy or unkind.

Beside that, they are like forum's moderators - needed;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

pah wrote: »
    As a member of the Gardaí but not a member of the above mentioned group I salute you. And agree with you.:)

fair play to you man then your something to aspire to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't respect the Gardai, or for that matter, Doctors, Nurses etc etc. Neither do I hate them or take the piss out of them. I deal with people on a 1 on 1 basis.

I'd really love to know what you work at that you can say that about a group of people who are so vital to everyday life, I think its called taking things for granted, it came about with the celtic tiger and is it probally a disease caught by the tiger cubs, maybe the recession might not be a bad thing. pathetic!

As has been already said there are good and bad individuals... Of course this is true of all countries police forces and of all professions at that..

However I am increasingly worried about a typically Irish attitude in Gardai culture. The 'Aah twil be grand' or 'sort it out over a few pints' attitude is I'm afraid to say an overwhelming factor in our countries police force. This has been trickling through the system for decades and there are many common practices of members of the Gardai that amount to incredible unprofessionalism.

A retired Garda Sergeant I know once commented that the introduction of free third level education made the Guards no longer an attractive career for those with an above average quantity of functioning braincells. This might indeed be a factor. Of course there are brilliant Guards working today but I personally feel that their professionalism is undermined by a culture among the force of 'Culchie -tea drinkin'- intermediate G.A.A playin' - mammy boy -thickos' :D

Hey! I played senior, I drink coffee, was a daddys boy and I went to third level education and passed a few exams, like i said earlier tell us what you do for a living and I'll tell you a few home truths! I've a feeling you won't like the rest of whingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Hey! I played senior, I drink coffee, was a daddys boy and I went to third level education and passed a few exams

Good man! :D

Good man! :D

I didnt quite catch what you said you worked at!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd really love to know what you work at that you can say that about a group of people who are so vital to everyday life, I think its called taking things for granted, it came about with the celtic tiger and is it probally a disease caught by the tiger cubs, maybe the recession might not be a bad thing. pathetic!

He's pathetic because he judges people on their merits? I hope you don't carry such mentality to work with you.

I didnt quite catch what you said you worked at!!!!!!!!
    I'm 99% certain he doesn't beat defenseless peaceful protesters to a pulp for a living, if that's what you're getting at.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'm 99% certain he doesn't beat defenseless peaceful protesters to a pulp for a living, if that's what you're getting at.

generalise much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yeah, that happens all the time.

it came about with the celtic tiger and is it probally a disease caught by the tiger cubs, maybe the recession might not be a bad thing. pathetic!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=celtic%20tiger%20cub

From entry Number 2 :D
    Celtic Tiger Cub

~noun
    Reference to a generation of Irish born in the late eighties and nineties raised in a period of economic abundance. A generation apart, they have grown up with a strong sense of entitlement, privilage and consumerism. This contrasts with the traditional Irish urge to ascend through struggle. With the world financial crisis of the late noughties, they have been left adrift in a world of hardship they cannot comprehend. And have no experience to draw on that the generations before them and those following will have in simply making do.
    Traits of the Celtic Tiger Cub include-

An inability to comprehend the word: No.

Indignation at authority figures for the audacity of existing.

A lack of pride in their alcoholism as they are bereft of the means to purchase colombian marching powder.

Being spoiled c**ts

by UgaineMor Nov 12, 2010

pah wrote:
    generalise much?

Irony.

tell us what you do for a living and I'll tell you a few home truths! I've a feeling you won't like the rest of whingers!
    No more than this guy generalises much.
    Funny how you won't be having a go at him for it though, isn't it?

prinz wrote: »
    Yeah, that happens all the time.
    ... when the protesters are easy targets.
    Just finishing that sentence for you.
    Doesn't the DPP just deliberately delay prosecutions so that Gardai alway get off with assaulting the public anyway? Oh yeah, that means they didn't do it of course.

Here's a good one. Got 2 grand in the bank? Want to deck a cop?
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15304-oranmore-garda-avoids-conviction-assault-trial
    There you go. Give someone a wallop and sign a check for €2000 and the charges are dropped. Don't see why it shouldn't apply to assaults on Gardai too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Doesn't the DPP just deliberately delay prosecutions so that Gardai alway get off with assaulting the public anyway? Oh yeah, that means they didn't do it of course.

Yes. They are all proven facts in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

k_mac wrote: »
    Yes. They are all proven facts in the Conspiracy Theories forum.
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/288acee47cb5c08780256eb70031e0ea/81658216352188158025716a002aba4d?OpenDocument

"But when we asked their colleagues who were not being charged with anything, we found that each and every one of them seemed to forget who they were and we could not get any identification. We did not get identification in any one case from a colleague. I suppose that speaks well of their loyalty to their colleagues. But unfortunately it does not speak that well of their loyalty to the Garda Siochana generally, because it is something we did not like."

Provable fact: A Garda did assault a woman after trying to steal her taxi.
    Provable fact: A Garda simply had to sign a cheque to not even get a conviction and hence stay in his job with no reprimand whatsoever.

I suppose the Gardai who are regularly filmed without identification numbers are all part of the same conspiracy?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jun/27/gardai-convicted-of-assault-have-criminal-charges-/

Here's another great one. Two Gardai convicted of a crime but magically are not criminals. Kafka would be proud of this.

Here's a good one. Got 2 grand in the bank? Want to deck a cop?
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/15304-oranmore-garda-avoids-conviction-assault-trial
    There you go. Give someone a wallop and sign a check for €2000 and the charges are dropped. Don't see why it shouldn't apply to assaults on Gardai too.

I don't know if you have ever been to court but it is not unusual for people with no previous record to have a minor assault dismissed if compensation is paid.
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/288acee47cb5c08780256eb70031e0ea/81658216352188158025716a002aba4d?OpenDocument

"But when we asked their colleagues who were not being charged with anything, we found that each and every one of them seemed to forget who they were and we could not get any identification. We did not get identification in any one case from a colleague. I suppose that speaks well of their loyalty to their colleagues. But unfortunately it does not speak that well of their loyalty to the Garda Siochana generally, because it is something we did not like."

Provable fact: A Garda did assault a woman after trying to steal her taxi.
    Provable fact: A Garda simply had to sign a cheque to not even get a conviction and hence stay in his job with no reprimand whatsoever.

I suppose the Gardai who are regularly filmed without identification numbers are all part of the same conspiracy?:rolleyes:

I don't see how this supports your statement that the DPP delays prosecuting Gardaí so they can get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hugely respect the work they do. I wouldn't do their job for any money.

I don't know if you have ever been to court but it is not unusual for people with no previous record to have a minor assault dismissed if compensation is paid.
    Oh yeah, 'cos if I pucked a cop in the face three times I'd pay a fine and I'd have no record. Come on mate, you've been smoking too much of what you've been confiscating.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Irony.

don't you mean hypocritical?

regardless, the cub reference was just a humorous aside :rolleyes:

it's the idea that you would define a Gardas living as "beating defenceless students to a pulp" I find to be over generalising, as you could be talking about a few bad apples if it is shown that force was used.

As much as the urban dictionary reference is generalising I believe it rings true. ( as a generalisation )

a group of which the current batch of students is in a majority btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

police should be something that u fear, not to respect, that u know when u see them coming ur way that u did something...

back in '80s police in some countries if they see u doin something wrong, they would first kick ur ass to death than ask u why u did that, and i agree...

plus, gardai has no weapons with them... how can u respect someone like that, he should be the law, but gun first...

im not sayin that they dont do good job,but im just sayin that sometimes they need to do something so other can fear them... (bad guys, stabbers, etc...)

one night i was walkin down in dublin o'connel square with few guys, and one guy was passing us, turn to us and he showed a big knife... what is that mean...
    by the time we call the cards he could be far far away...

I don't see how this supports your statement that the DPP delays prosecuting Gardaí so they can get off.
    They're different cases of cops getting off criminal offences due to technicalities. The first one was where the DPP took too long to bring the case and the Garda was released on a technicality. Glad they got him back eventually but like a said, let's see if Joe Public ever gets off with a fine for breaking a cop's face.

Oh yeah, 'cos if I pucked a cop in the face three times I'd pay a fine and I'd have no record. Come on mate, you've been smoking too much of what you've been confiscating.

You probably wouldn't even be taken to court. An adult caution would most likely be the extent of your discipline. If Gardaí brought everyone who assaulted them to court the court lists would be very full.

it's the idea that you would define a Gardas living as "beating defenceless students to a pulp" I find to be over generalising, as you could be talking about a few bad apples if it is shown that force was used.
    Er, did you bother to read what I posted at all?
    But when we asked their colleagues who were not being charged with anything, we found that each and every one of them seemed to forget who they were and we could not get any identification. We did not get identification in any one case from a colleague.
    Or here's another good bit
    “A further aspect of the investigation the Board examined was that, save with limited exceptions, Garda members who were on duty at the march failed to make statements to the investigation team despite having been invited to do so. In particular, the Board noted that no Garda member had supplied any evidence or material to the effect that another member might have been involved in conduct which would constitute a breach of discipline. The Board is concerned with the general lack of co-operation involved and it is considering the steps it might take, within the scope of the 1986 Act, to obtain statements from specific members.
    While the Board is very disappointed with the response of most of the individual members who are contacted it also wishes to acknowledge the very full and extensive co-operation which was received from the Garda authorities. Without that support and assistance the investigation would undoubtedly have been much more difficult and would not have proved to be so successful.”
    Conclusion: There might be only one or two doing the beating, but every other Garda will back them up. Therefore to "generalise" that all Gardai are bad apples is entirely correct in this case.

• Advertisement

don't you mean hypocritical?

regardless, the cub reference was just a humorous aside :rolleyes:

As much as the urban dictionary reference is generalising I believe it rings true. ( as a generalisation )

a group of which the current batch of students is in a majority btw ;)

Oh right, but that's in your opinion right. Generalising much again?

Alot of people seem to think certain generalisations about the Gardai "ring true".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement